Stock Seats on the RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

Old Jan 9th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Stock Seats on the RT

Hi guys, a sunny 2 below here in the Hawkeye state. Still no miles on the new RT, but plenty of time for browsing when I'd have otherwise been riding.

I see quite a number of posts on the stock seat of the R1200RT - and it seems to me that the comments are pretty uniformly critical. WHICH, makes me think - those who are satisfied often don't have much to say (why would they - they're happy) and those who aren't, are often vocal....WHICH, in turn, makes me wonder how many riders think these seats are just fine.

So there's my question - does everyone think these seats are awful? Pretty good? So-so? I'd be pleased to hear. Of course, once I have a chance to get my own butt in the saddle I'll be able to add my thoughts to the mix, but in the meantime, I'd sure enjoy the benefit of your thoughts.

Best, John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 9th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Re: Stock Seats on the RT

In my estimatiion it is not horrible but could be vastly improved. about an hour and 1/2 and I am squirming around on it with some numbness.

With that said I have a stock ESA suspension and ride with the seat in the low position.which bends my legs consdierably. this does allow my to suspend or brace my self off the seat slightly if I like. I am going to lower my pegs (next improvement). I am 6'0 about 31.5. The high seating position is more comfortable legs wise but i feel like I am on top of the bike instead of in it and really don't like sitting that high on the bike.

I do have barbacks and this has shelped with the overall comfort some, but am probably going to go see Rich's Whidbey Island, WA , just a short jaunt & a ferry ride from home for a custom seat!
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 2:45 pm

At first I thought my seat was horrible, after a few thousand miles, not so bad. I added a sheepskin pad and it became tolerable on 400+ mile days.

That being said, I just mailed my stock seats to Russel Day Long last week, participating in this site's Group Buy, searching for ultimate comfort.

I would recommend putting some miles on her before making any changes.

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 3:29 pm

The comfort quality of the stock seat, in my opinion, does not match the otherwise wonderful bike. I had mine rebuilt and added a sheepskin, and it's okay for a couple hundred. I am thinking of a Sargent next, I've heard most RT owners like theirs.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 3:41 pm

So far I like mine.As soon as spring gets here,I might order a custom seat.I usually only about 300 miles or so before I stop.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 5:20 pm

It took less than an hour on a boring road before my butt ached with the stock seat.

Installed a Sheepy Hollow sheepskin cover last summer and it improved a lot.

Next I glued shut a whoopee cushion and inserted it under the sheepskin and that solved the problem all together.

For my relative skinny bum it was the pressure-equalizing from the air cushion that resulted in the day long comfort since it was the pressure on the sharp bones in my bum that brought the discomfort on.

I am actually making a more realiable air cushion just now, with a valve and tough enough to last many years.

Plan to takes pics and post a recipe for you.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 6:36 pm

Like others suggested ride with the stock seat and see if it works for you, if not there are lot's of economical choices to try before investing in a custom seat.

I ride with the stock seat the majority of the time; if needed I have an Alaska sheep skin cover ($35) along with an air hawk cushion ($80) = they work great by themselves or together.

08RT
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 7:46 pm

John,

I have a Rick Mayer saddle on mine and am very pleased. Obviously it's still at Gina's. You're welcome to go in for a test sit.

Wayne malaise
Rock Island, IL
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 11:24 pm

Quick note to Atomicman, Rich is not on Whidbey Island but over in Kingston. So you need to take the Edmonds ferry, not the Mukilteo ferry. If you take to the ferry to Whidbey Island, you are taking the loooooonnngg way and will need to take another ferry and cross a floating bridge. Still, on a nice day, it would be a great ride!!

I had Rich do a seat for my RT. It was an enjoyable experience and the seat is quite comfortable. If he only could have lengthened my legs about an inch or two.......
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 11:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhSeattle
Quick note to Atomicman, Rich is not on Whidbey Island but over in Kingston. So you need to take the Edmonds ferry, not the Mukilteo ferry. If you take to the ferry to Whidbey Island, you are taking the loooooonnngg way and will need to take another ferry and cross a floating bridge. Still, on a nice day, it would be a great ride!!

I had Rich do a seat for my RT. It was an enjoyable experience and the seat is quite comfortable. If he only could have lengthened my legs about an inch or two.......
Thanks for the reminder! I knew he was in Kingston not on Whidbey, just a simple brain fade. And certainly would not try to take the Mukilteo ferry to Kingston!
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 1:22 am

I didn't like mine much after a couple of hours. I think that at 225# the foam compressed to where I was pretty much sitting on the pan and felt like it was tearing me a new one if you know what I mean.

I got a corbin set on ebay for a good price and am much happier with it. I guess I have a tractor ass. BTW Trojan, I was born and raised in Des Moines - Urbandale HS Class of 72.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 7:00 am

Morning guys, 13 below this morning, but looking at the ten day forecast for Iowa City on the Weather channel, it looks like there are a number of 30 degree days ahead in the not-too-distant future. WHICH, absent more white stuff, might very well mean completely clear roadways for a little tooling around in ten days, more or less. We shall see.

Thanks for the input on the seat - as you can see, I have the low two-piece, and I think it's gonna stay in the low position, as I'm 5'6.5 and about 185 pounds of sheer handsome manlyness.

For whatever it's worth, the jeans inseam is 30" - anyhow, no room to spare on the height. The low suspension would probably be a little better fit for me, but the ESA wasn't available with the low suspension in '09, so that made the choice for me, as I wanted the ESA. Regular suspension it is, two piece low, in low position, which wouldn't give the custom seat guys much to work with to improve things. By the way, the cord hanging out is the autocom helmet wire receptacle - the glue-plate on the back of its "nest" was faulty and will be replaced when it's warmer.

Guys, I envy your talking about 300+ mile rides. Man, with domestic and professional responsibilities, I get to use my bike for weekend errands, or I may hop on to do a little cruising in the evening, seldom more than 50 miles (due to time constraints). Or perhaps grab an hour or two on a weekend day here and there for cruising. How in the world I ever managed to put 7000 miles on the new V-Star 1100 purchased in July 2008 is beyond me - that's a heck of a lot of trips to the Kalona Cheese Factory 15 miles away....

Wayne, thanks for the kind offer. I might very well take you up on it. I'll be back at Gina's first of next week to pick up plates, title, etc. - again, her shop is just 5 minutes from my home, maybe less.

Courtney, while born and raised in IC (though went to a Military Academy for HS - class of '71) I lived in Des Moines for a couple years, '71-'73, before moving to VA for a few years. Then back to IC. IC is home, but man, that Eastern Seaboard climate and county is beautiful. I imagine yours on the other side of the county is as well.

Best, John

Last edited by Trojan; Jan 10th, 2010 at 7:07 am.
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 8:10 pm

Here is a site to have your seat modified to be more comfortable for the long rides.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Rider_Magazine_Review.html
Old Jan 10th, 2010, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aso432
Here is a site to have your seat modified to be more comfortable for the long rides.

http://greatdaytoride.com/Rider_Magazine_Review.html
Last I heard Spencer won't work on BMW seat pans. Something about the polymer BMW's supplier uses for the pan material is too brittle to reliably handle the staples used to hold the cover on. He claims that most of the BMW seat pans he's seen have been cracked along the staple line.

Too bad, as the Honda ST crowd love his work.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 6:34 am

I found the rider seat to be OK, although I still put a Rick Mayer seat, which made the seat a non-issue. As for the pillion seat, the first time my wife took a ride (I ride 50% of my miles with her on the back) she got off and told me, "new seat or new bike, your choice". She didn't get back on until I rec'd her Rick Mayer seat.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 6:51 am

Had a 2002 R1150RS and after 500 miles I knew I needed a new seat. I went with a Sargent and loved it. I've had the '06 R1200RT with the stock seat for 2+ years and after 20K miles and numerous all day rides, I would rate it as acceptable. I'm still not sure I want to replace it. I tried a sheepskin cover and didn't care for it.

I agree with earlier posts - get some miles on before you start changing things.

Good luck!

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 9:50 am

I have the stock saddle on my '09. It's not great, it's not horrible, it just is. Based on years of riding the human-powered type of 2-wheeled conveyance, I use padded bicycle shorts next to the skin under the armor. I've ridden 700 mile days at 100F+ and have not gotten sore or numb.

Bottom line - it's your fanny. Let it tell you whether it wants a new saddle or not.
'07 Honda Rebel (gone)
Kids (gone - graduated and employed!)
'81 Honda Gold Wing (gone)
'75 Honda CB500 Twin DOHC (gone)
'77 Honda CB750 (gone)
Bride (going strong)
BMWMOA 159659
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 9:59 am

Simple answer: POS
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 11:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1
Simple answer: POS
Really! My 00' Comfort seat (from BMW) was the best!
I have a Corbin now and yes it is better then my stock 08', but the 00' comfort was he Best!
BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 11:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay
I have the stock saddle on my '09. It's not great, it's not horrible, it just is. Based on years of riding the human-powered type of 2-wheeled conveyance, I use padded bicycle shorts next to the skin under the armor. I've ridden 700 mile days at 100F+ and have not gotten sore or numb.

Bottom line - it's your fanny. Let it tell you whether it wants a new saddle or not.
We all can't be "Hank Hill, man with no ass".
BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 9:56 am

ou812
I thought we were talking about the 1200 RT seat. The best seat I have ever had was on my 04 1150 RT. And that was after I modified the lip at the back of the seat by removing half of it.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 4:13 pm

At the risk of repeating myself over and over, I am one of the apparent few who doesn't mine the stock seat. I've never been picky about seats and ride often , hard , and long periods in the saddle. Some days I'll head to North GA and not come home till dark, logging may eight ten hours in the saddle with a quick stop for lunch.

That said, I think the reason it works for me is because I mostly wear leather pants. That seems to be the great equalizer for me. The few times I wore jeans I got antsy pretty quick regardless of the weather.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 11:28 pm

+1 on leather pants!
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 11:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1
ou812
I thought we were talking about the 1200 RT seat. The best seat I have ever had was on my 04 1150 RT. And that was after I modified the lip at the back of the seat by removing half of it.
We were. I was referring to my best seat(00' BMW comfort seat) and what I did to make my 08' better(Corbin).
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 1:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
In my estimatiion it is not horrible but could be vastly improved. about an hour and 1/2 and I am squirming around on it with some numbness.

With that said I have a stock ESA suspension and ride with the seat in the low position.which bends my legs consdierably. this does allow my to suspend or brace my self off the seat slightly if I like. I am going to lower my pegs (next improvement). I am 6'0 about 31.5. The high seating position is more comfortable legs wise but i feel like I am on top of the bike instead of in it and really don't like sitting that high on the bike.

I do have barbacks and this has shelped with the overall comfort some, but am probably going to go see Rich's Whidbey Island, WA , just a short jaunt & a ferry ride from home for a custom seat!
An hour and a half is about right. Past that, pure torture. As noted, it's more than just the seat, there are many ergonomic issues. Bar backs, custom seats, peg kits, and seat position all come into play. Every butt and body are different. The comfort solution may require several mods to meet your needs. I started with riser/bar backs, played with seat position, bought a custom seat (had it modified a couple of times), added a Bakup back rest and will next try a peg lowering kit. As I fine tune the bike to my personal needs it is getting a lot better. Be prepared to tinker, the end result is worth it.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 9:25 am

I think the stock seat on the 09 is just fine. I would make these suggestions before replacing the seat. These are all cheaper.

1. Your shorts may be the problem. Get Under Armour or better and you may be surprised at how much better the seat is.

2. Make the bike fit you. Maybe Bar Backs or relocating the footpegs would help. They did in my case and the cost was far less than a new seat.

3. Adopt a sit up and beg riding position. You want to transfer weight from your but to your legs.

4. Take breaks during long rides.

Karl
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 12:00 pm

The length of thread pretty much shows that many or most think the stock seat is wanting, especially for long rides. Both add ons and replacements are offered as solutions with cost differences as wide as the choices.

Its your butt so ride first and find out how far you can go before (if) the stock seat annoys you.
If (when) it does, then figure out which way you want to go with for changes.

Note your height Be aware that many seat replacements are in effect "thicker" and stretch the legs a little more. I changed to the Sargent (heated like my stock one) and while I used to ride with my seat in the high position, I had to set it at the lower position with the Sargent. I'm within a fraction of an inch of 6' wear 38/30 pants. So ask around about this for each specific type you consider- the effect may be avoidable entirely with some..
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 12:55 pm

not pushing any brand of aftermarket seat, but
I did a "ride in" and had a Russell Day Long built
this fall. after getting there, I decided to go ahead
and have the removeable backrest added also.
only use the backrest for long trips...slides in and
out of the recepticle built into the rear seat area.
max comfortable, but I am short of leg and the
"wings" do compromise getting the feet to the
ground. great seat........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw IMG00027.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	782.6 KB
ID:	25928  
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocanpickem
I think the stock seat on the 09 is just fine. I would make these suggestions before replacing the seat. These are all cheaper.

1. Your shorts may be the problem. Get Under Armour or better and you may be surprised at how much better the seat is.

2. Make the bike fit you. Maybe Bar Backs or relocating the footpegs would help. They did in my case and the cost was far less than a new seat.

3. Adopt a sit up and beg riding position. You want to transfer weight from your but to your legs.

4. Take breaks during long rides.

Karl
Excellent point on the shorts. I recently bought a pair from LD Comfort. I was amazed. I expected an improvement in the chaffing department but was thrilled to discover an almost magical reduction in soreness. I guess I squirm less without the chaffing. It may be all you need to do. I will never ride long distances in the future without them.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
Excellent point on the shorts. I recently bought a pair from LD Comfort. I was amazed. I expected an improvement in the chaffing department but was thrilled to discover an almost magical reduction in soreness. I guess I squirm less without the chaffing. It may be all you need to do. I will never ride long distances in the future without them.

+1 "Cotton is the enemy."

Ever since I started wearing weasel squeezers (aka bike shorts) my daily touring mileage climbed dramatically. There's nothing worse than swamp ass and wet cotton briefs when trying to knock out a 600 mile day. Stick with synthetics for the base layer.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 3:22 am

So far I find the stock seat just fine.
It is early days for me (1500 miles '09RT) and I always plan a short stop at least every 2 hours. I haven't given the seat a second thought so far. My wife riding pillion doesn't find it quite as comfortable as my previous bike (Honda NT700V)
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 9:38 am

Quote:

FWIW, I bought a pair of the LD comfort shorts and i am singularly unimpressed with them. Yes they are comfortable and chaffing is a little reduced but i still get a sore butt after only a couple hours. I still sweat like crazy in them and the improvement over plain old cotton undies is not that great. I had better results from a $20 gel seat from a local auto parts store. My views on the medieval nature of the seat can be found elswhere on this forum but for me at least the gel seat is the way to go.

What about airconditioned undies? now they would be great
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 11:15 am

Quote:

+1 LD Comfort shorts will increase the distance you can travel in comfort.

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 3:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semio
+1 "Cotton is the enemy."

Ever since I started wearing weasel squeezers (aka bike shorts) my daily touring mileage climbed dramatically. There's nothing worse than swamp ass and wet cotton briefs when trying to knock out a 600 mile day. Stick with synthetics for the base layer.
I wear only Microfiber like UNDER ARMOR undies, no cotton ever!
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 7:23 pm

Anybody know anything about Kontour saddles?
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgarraty
Anybody know anything about Kontour saddles?
Check under supporting vendors. Well known and liked by many.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 11:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan
Hi guys, a sunny 2 below here in the Hawkeye state. Still no miles on the new RT, but plenty of time for browsing when I'd have otherwise been riding.

I see quite a number of posts on the stock seat of the R1200RT - and it seems to me that the comments are pretty uniformly critical. WHICH, makes me think - those who are satisfied often don't have much to say (why would they - they're happy) and those who aren't, are often vocal....WHICH, in turn, makes me wonder how many riders think these seats are just fine.

So there's my question - does everyone think these seats are awful? Pretty good? So-so? I'd be pleased to hear. Of course, once I have a chance to get my own butt in the saddle I'll be able to add my thoughts to the mix, but in the meantime, I'd sure enjoy the benefit of your thoughts.

Best, John
I'm 5'10 155 and I think the stock seat is very comfortable (7k miles)

I also read MANY posts about "problems" and / or uncomfortable with stock seat.
what i fail to see if "WHAT" exactly IS the problems...???

people complain in vague terms not saying what exactly the problem is..???
to hard? soft? narrow? wide? shallow? or /?.......
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 8:08 am

It is, to me, to soft and packs down as the ride progresses.
The seat is not shaped like any butt that I have ever seen either.
I am 6'5 and 235# and the lady at the western store said that I aint got no butt anyways.
I prefer my Corbin seat and underwear without seams across the butt cheeks.

2011 R1200RT
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 9:23 am

Ditto on the 'too soft' and soft in the wrong places. The seat bunches up into a hump right under the 'family jewels'. The support you need should be focused on your glutes & hip flanges, with little if any support in between.
IMO.. the 'stock seat' (front) should have been recalled, and everyone given a comfort (premium) version in exchange. I simply opted out for a Sargent set which is extremely comfortable (considering my total lack of an a$$) and looks like it really belongs on the bike - and even has usable storage under both sections AND the 'seat heat' to boot.

Old Jul 25th, 2010, 12:45 am

I'm very disappointed that after spending over $20k on my 2010 RT, that the stock seat hurts my pelvic bones after a mere 30 minutes of riding. I find it difficult to believe that BMW would deliberately short change this critical component. So what do I make of this situation?

I think that BMW set out to design a decent quality standard seat for its category STYLE which is a Sport Tourer. It is a narrow seat suited for more aggressive riding and leaning positions. It has good looks and supports a riding style where the rider might want to move his or her bum around to hang off a bit in the turns

Unfortunately the narrow seat is not comfortable for all day touring. A wide tractor style seat would be better for longhaul comfort. BMW couldn't have both in one seat so it opted for the sport touring bias, which also looks sexier.

However many of us want to ride hundreds of miles at a time without getting off and for me their standard seat doesn't cut it. My half solution for now is an Airhawk. I can now ride 90 minutes before pain. Progress but not perfect.

From my personal experience with a GL1800 Gold Wing, which I had just prior to my new RT, a seat needs to be wide to allow the butt to spread its weight around and take some of the stress off of the bony points. I took the GW cross country (US) and could ride it all day on its stock seat with no discomfort. But the saddle was big. In fact I think it shares similarities in seat construction design with Russel, Mayer(s), and Sargent who all customize the RT seats to make them wider and rounder. Thus in my mind it is no coincidence that these custom saddles get the highest praise for comfort. They are all selling variations of the same thing.

But these tractor seat saddles change the look of the RT from Sport Tourer to something more "sedate." So for both the large expense and the loss of style I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on getting one of these high end "fat" custom seats. (I think I'm going to get some nasty feedback on that last phrase!)

However I only have 2000 miles on my RT and after enough miles and time, my burning butt may push me over to the side of "form follows function" and I will succumb. Then perhaps after doing so I will say to myself, "Why didn't I do this a lot sooner?!"
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 6:45 am

Wife and I went through 6 seats on 2007 RT and after riding full dress Harley's on 8 rentals and never having a bad seat I put a Harley Ultra Seat on mine and we have
done 700 mile day ride but more average 4 to 5 hundred day rides on it.
Good Luck Joe in NJ
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan

Best, John
I have had two R1200RTs and both seats were quite comfortable for me, for touring. I did add a "beaded seat cover" to help with ventilation in the nether-regions. Helps a lot!
Gone:
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 10:50 am

I was reluctant to buy a custom seat at first. Reading this forum about people replacing their stock mufflers at hundreds of dollars expense just to alter the sound of the machine made me think I was in a low income bracket.
But I ride year long with no auto for the rainy days. I had all the gear neccessary to make my weekly 200 mile excursion to grad school. All but a comfy seat for this senior students old butt.
It took 12 thousand miles to convince me to invest and 200 miles to realize I waited too long!

Just sent picks and thankyou note to Russell Day Long.
Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1491.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	28231  
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 1:57 pm

Man that looks comfy! NICE
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 8:51 pm

That IS pretty, Paul -- but your down-spout's bent.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 12:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyujoe
Wife and I went through 6 seats on 2007 RT and after riding full dress Harley's on 8 rentals and never having a bad seat I put a Harley Ultra Seat on mine and we have
done 700 mile day ride but more average 4 to 5 hundred day rides on it.
Good Luck Joe in NJ

I'd like to see some good pics of that harley seat on your RT! How much did it cost you, and did you install it, and was it easy to do?

Southerndude
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 3:53 pm

Well the only reason it cost me so much is I bought a brand new Sargent Seats in winter and by time I found out I did not like it and was upset with so many seats I decided to have some one custom pad it for me and hated it.
With all the Harley fly and rides I never had a bad seat and dicided to buy used Harley
Ultra Seat and take it apart 100 dollars and take aluminum and bolt the seat sections
together to make one piece.
And install foam from Harley to BMW seat frame and 400 dollars to cover was my cost.
And you have one comfortable seat according to my butt and wifes butt..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0709 copy.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	781.8 KB
ID:	28249   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710 copy.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	748.8 KB
ID:	28250