BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Hard Throttle or Limp Wrist?

10K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  LTFan 
#1 ·
Hi there. I am pretty new to the group, but really have been impressed by the participation.

I plan to purchase a 2002 LT with 25k miles (MONDAY YEAH!). It runs and rides like a dream! I sold my 2005 Road King Classic last fall, and have never looked back.

My question:

The throttle on the LT takes a serious grip to make it operate. My last few bikes were no match for this girl. Is this normal? Or is there some adjustment that I need to make, to make the throttle turn easier?

Thanks again. :confused:

#2 ·
hkeithmurray said:
Hi there. I am pretty new to the group, but really have been impressed by the participation.

I plan to purchase a 2002 LT with 25k miles (MONDAY YEAH!). It runs and rides like a dream! I sold my 2005 Road King Classic last fall, and have never looked back.

My question:

The throttle on the LT takes a serious grip to make it operate. My last few bikes were no match for this girl. Is this normal? Or is there some adjustment that I need to make, to make the throttle turn easier?

Shouldn't be hard to twist.
You can search for throttle cables.
Start with this one http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15127
then this http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4955
and http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6510
and so on.

BTW . . . welcome to the Funny Farm! A recent quote from BBC's Top Gear . . "Some think that riding an LT is better than sex." Hmmmm I don't but it comes close.! :histerica

#3 ·
+1, as mentioned above. You need the "Throttle Cable Upgrade". There were significant changes, and the operation is a lot easier.

#4 ·
x3 on all the above..............while doing maintenance on mine this winter, I worked a little 'White Lightning' into the cables.................made a ton of difference but I still plan on replacing them with the later model cables..............

LT's are about the most fun you can have with your clothes on.................. :histerica

#6 ·
Ditto, +++, etc. This is by far the stiffest throttle I have experianced even after installing the new style cables after my clutch job. Not bad but stiffer than any other bike I have owned.

#8 ·
When it comes to this group, there are no limp wrists.... Though I'm not sure how much non-pharmaceutical induced stiffness there is either..... :histerica :histerica

#10 ·
Don't know how stiff the throttle is on your bike but I'll bet it doesn't hold a candle to the throttle on my '81 Yamaha 650 Maxim!!! Pretty good pull when you're operating 4 carburetors!!!

BTW, I remember when this little 495 lb cruiser felt big! Now it feels like I'm riding a skateboard with handlebars! The gas tank seems like it is about 6 inches wide.

Perspectives change when you ride the big girl!

Loren

jzeiler said:
Ditto, +++, etc. This is by far the stiffest throttle I have experianced even after installing the new style cables after my clutch job. Not bad but stiffer than any other bike I have owned.

#11 ·
PMitchell said:
Shouldn't be hard to twist.
You can search for throttle cables.
Start with this one http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15127
then this http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4955
and http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6510
and so on.

BTW . . . welcome to the Funny Farm! A recent quote from BBC's Top Gear . . "Some think that riding an LT is better than sex." Hmmmm I don't but it comes close.! :histerica

Thanks to all who responded. This site is awesome and I look forward to the summer with my new bike!

#12 ·
I'm an ex H-D guy, too. Didn't have as much of a problem with the throttle as I did with that pre-'87 clutch. Ouch! Definitely for younger hands.

You need these parts for the throttle cable upgrade:
Throttle Cable: 32737694490 ($40.19).
Acc. Cable: 32737694491 ($56.79).
Twist Grip Mod Kit: 32727691990 ($24.19).

While your throttle grip is off of the handlebar, take some 600 grit wet-dry sandpaper and polish the handlebar surface. Use either a light oil or water for a lube as you "shoeshine" the handlebar surface with a strip of the sandpaper. Mine had quite a bit off bumpy paint and rough metal.

A few minutes effort to prep that handlebar surface goes a long way to making a slick, responsive throttle.

Good Luck,
Dave

#13 ·
The "throttle upgrade" was stock in 05 on I take it? I have an 04 and I have never even given it a second thought.....

#14 ·
LT has strong return springs even on my 2006. I purchased a right & left (for looks) throttle rockers ($10.00 each) and the stiff throttle is a thing of the past! JMO

#15 ·
SmokinJoe said:
LT has strong return springs even on my 2006. I purchased a right & left (for looks) throttle rockers ($10.00 each) and the stiff throttle is a thing of the past! JMO
How does a piece of plastic outside affect the stiffness? :histerica :histerica

#16 · (Edited)
atrovarious said:
How does a piece of plastic outside affect the stiffness? :histerica :histerica
I will assume you weren’t being rude and will answer your question with the extremely complicated scientific discovery:

LEVERAGE! Your palm does the work.

#17 ·
hkeithmurray said:

My question:

Yes, my 07, which I believe has the "new and improved" throttle is still very stiff. 30 minutes has my wrist slamoring ofr relief. The relief is in the form of cruise control! I use it all the time, unless I have in the twisties and on and off the throttle in which case the stiffness is much less apparent. The grip puppies helped a little as the larger diameter gives you a little more leverage, but it added maybe 10 to 15 minutes duration before the wrist was complaining.

I have no idea why it needs to be so stiff, but I believe the FI has two return springs, most likely for redundancy in case one breaks. And with the recent Toyotat sticking throttle issues, I can understand BMW being conservative in this regard. I believe that one can "unwind" the springs a notch or two to lessen the effort and I will probably do this if I ever have occasion to tear into the old girl that deep.

#19 ·
Well just finished installing the throttle cable upgrade! My wrist, forearm and elbow made a collective sigh of relief with the first twist!

Best money I have spent on this bike, since the purchase price (which was last Friday, the day I picked this baby up and rode home).

Even like this beauty more than ever!

Thanks for the encouragement and instructions!

#23 ·
I did the upgrade on my 03 with parts from Chicago BMW. It's like night and day and my old hands sure appreciated it............. :D

#25 ·
RocketRon said:
DasBoat Dave.....are those BMW part numbers?

Keith....Which cables / parts did you use? Aftermarket? BMW?
I used the factory BMW parts. Figured since I was going through all the work, why skimp on the cables...

Love my new bike! The new throttle makes it a real joy to ride now. If you haven't upgraded - do it now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.