BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

R1200RT colour codes?

21K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  DonD 
#1 ·
I have an '08 RT in sand beige and i want to get the topcase colour matched. The silver looks good i suppose but i have seen the result of colour matching and it looks fantastic.
Is it enough to take in the case with say, 1 of the panniers and have the body shop match that way or is there a colour code that they can use. And if so what is that code?
I have the original manufacturers order sheet, but of course it's all in German and I only speak British and Canadian. As near as i can figure, the code is N08 but i would like some confirmation before Ii go in looking like an idiot.

Thanks

Billinge

#2 ·
Lift the seat. There is a label inside that will tell you the color code. I believe that it is on the right side near the tool pouch.

I had the same thing done and my paint guy needed the actual code as well.

#3 ·
What he said

The information is on the wheel well

Front is to the right

#5 ·
I found the paint code in the manual on mine, I guess the dealer wrote it in. I had a top bag painted to match and my body shop buddy showed me the formula for the color , in grams and wow, it was a LOT of different colors including two or three "pearle" pigments that made up our beige color. Turned out well and after two shunts this year I went ahead last week and repainted both my bags to get the scratches out of them as well and it matched perfectly to the bike.

You better have a really good paint guy though as the formula is complicated . I've seen paint from accessory makers that was supposed to match that wasn't even close.

Good luck with it.

#6 ·
Billinge said:
I have an '08 RT in sand beige and i want to get the topcase colour matched. The silver looks good i suppose but i have seen the result of colour matching and it looks fantastic.
Is it enough to take in the case with say, 1 of the panniers and have the body shop match that way or is there a colour code that they can use. And if so what is that code?
I have the original manufacturers order sheet, but of course it's all in German and I only speak British and Canadian. As near as i can figure, the code is N08 but i would like some confirmation before Ii go in looking like an idiot.

Thanks

Billinge
Try this link:
http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/paintcodes.htm
Ian

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
I'm having my top case painted to match my sand beige bike as well. The paint guy is very experienced and talented but cannot get his supplier to come up with NO8 paint code. He took one of my bags and was going to have them 'scan' it.
I called the dealer and he said there's no OEM paint available. What's with BMW that they don't sell matching paint?

#8 ·
Have your body shot call Bo Perkle at Perkles Body Shop in Tucker Georgia and he can give him the code formula. I had mine painted and he matched it perfect as well as my side cases after my shunt.

There are at least seven different colors that go into the fairly complex formula and it is very complex formula. There are no less than three different pearl colors as well as others and mettallics. So you will need to get the forumla. Bo got it on line somewhere after looking it up . Mine are done . BTW. Painting the top box was very complex and cost me more than both bags on the side. But it was worth it.

here's a pick .

#9 ·

A shot from the back side. To paint the top box in my case the whole thing had to be dissassembled and sanded down the texture on the plastic must be removed before priming and painted could occur, that made it expensive compared to the side cases which I tood apart prior to painting and prepared them for painting myself. The paint for these things like the pearls is very expensive. The formula I saw him use was measured in grams and it was amazing how many colors are required to make that special beige color. Not at all simple in my view.

#10 ·
hey Stixx:

OUTSTANDING.

#11 ·
Stixx said:
Have your body shot call Bo Perkle at Perkles Body Shop in Tucker Georgia and he can give him the code formula. I had mine painted and he matched it perfect as well as my side cases after my shunt.
FYI, I looked this up. Was going to call but my paint guy thinks he's matched it. Thanks for the reference. Your bike looks good!

Pirkle Body Shop
2241 4th Street,
Tucker, GA 30084

#14 ·
Stixx said:

There are at least seven different colors that go into the fairly complex formula and it is very complex formula. There are no less than three different pearl colors as well as others and mettallics. So you will need to get the forumla. Bo got it on line somewhere after looking it up . Mine are done . BTW. Painting the top box was very complex and cost me more than both bags on the side. But it was worth it.
How many coats of clear?

#15 ·
DonD said:
By any chance do you know how to remove the BMW emblem for painting?
sure it's on there with two sided adhesive. Take a hair dryer and warm it up then pry it off very slowly. The fun is getting the old adhesive off both elements once it's off. I used my thumb and dang near wore the skin off when I recycled one of the pannier pads but for seventy bucks I wasn't about to throw it away. LOL

You can get new two sided tape at an autoparts store and resurface the emblem after the paint is done. I decided on the side cases just to avoid all that labor on the reflectors and just masked those this time. It is not as perfectly clean as the top box was but no one will ever notice .

It all comes down to labor. The top box ran me 450 for both parts to be disasembled and masked and sanded and painted to match. labor was most of that.

I provided my painter with two lids already off the bags ready to paint and the two ran 300 bucks . The matte texture plastic also required a bit more sanding and prep work than the already painted lids did so it again, is all about the labor

PS. bear in mind this guy is not your average MACO paint shop. He primarily does all the ferrari and high end stuff in town and the paint on my lids all matches the bike perfectly not just in color but in transparency of the pearls and clearcoats and buffout was exquisite. No bike should look that good really. The guys a perfectionist. Not sure a bike is worth all the fuss especially as often as I drop one, but live and learn.

hope i was some help at least

#16 ·
Color Rite -- www.colorrite.com -- oem spec paints and a very handy "find your paint" program that allows you to put in your make, model and year and shows you the colors that were issued that year. Not a "match", the real deal. Got everything I needed in four days. My only disappointment was that they call the color of my '08 RT "sand beige" instead of "champagne". ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.