BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

2010 RT Fuel Gauge Problem

28K views 58 replies 37 participants last post by  gary7569 
#1 ·
Just so everyone knows, I've had numerous BMWs over the years, mostly boxers, and I know that fuel gauge problems are not uncommon, at least I've had some on my bikes, most recently my 2009 GS. Nothing that bad, but my new RT has what seems a more serious issue.

I left on a ride today with 329 miles on odometer. Gauge showed full less 1 bar (which I knew was optimistic as I already had about 125 miles on the tank since last fill up). Approx. 25 miles into the ride, gauge suddenly shows empty, no bars showing, yellow warning light displayed. Range on BC shows 192 miles(!). Checked trip A odo, which I reset every fill up, and it showed 149.1 miles. Range began dropping 1 mile every few seconds. At 162 miles, range registered 0, gauge still empty. Filled up at 172.1 on Trip A. Tank took 4.026 gallons. Reset Trip A, master odometer reads 397.4. Ride home, 1.6 miles, but yellow warning light remains on, gauge reads empty, range shows 0.

I will deal with this at the first service, but anyone else experience anything like this?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

#27 ·
My 07 had three fuel guage strips replaced under warranty sold at 43,000 miles. Want to get another but going to wait until hopefully they solve this and the front rotor pulsation issues. Other then that the RT1200 is the best bike I've owned.

#28 ·
Just to chime in.

I have had four if not five fuel strips in my 2010RT. Current mileage 26K. The strip did not read full, nor has it ever read full despite replacement and programming. It always reads 3/4 full with a slight upward variation on occasion. I have had numerous explanations from the dealer and am now at the "it is what it is" stage, which I find unsatisfactory. Other than that the gauge reads true and jibes with odo readings and computer info.

This has to be annoying and costly to BMW as well, assuming the dealer is billing for warranty work.

Has anyone had the same problem? Does anyone's gauge actually read full? Has anyone actually had this resolved?

Love to hear your suggestions.
Thanks.

#29 ·
My 07 had several strips warrantied. If they re-program it correctly it should read full. The mechanic told me the tank has to be filled completely when it is re-programed or it will not be set correctly! Maybe they can try and reprogram it again with a full tank.
It is what it is would not be acceptable to me!

I thought the 2010-2011 bikes had the old style float and not a strip according to another forum guy.

I would be pissed if I bought a new bike and had all the problems you are having and may seek a lemon law alternative. Good luck and maybe try a different dealer.

#30 ·
Just learned the fuel gauge issue the hard way. Bought 2009RT last week with gauge reading 1/4 tank. Ran out of gas on the interstate riding home from work Friday. Should have known better than to trust a new bikes gauge. Was mad at myself and embarrassed at the same time. Had time to research this on my smart phone while the dummy sat on the side of the rode waiting for my friend to bring me some gas.

#32 ·
I bought a used 2009 RT and am having fuel gauge problems, but my symptoms are different. I have run completely out of gas twice. The gauge showed I had 74 and 65 miles to go when suddenly the bike just stopped running. No yellow light, no warning!

Are these covered on a bike out of warrantee?

#34 ·
themenz said:
I bought a used 2009 RT and am having fuel gauge problems, but my symptoms are different. I have run completely out of gas twice. The gauge showed I had 74 and 65 miles to go when suddenly the bike just stopped running. No yellow light, no warning!

Are these covered on a bike out of warrantee?
Themenz - welcome to the forum and the club. The unreliable fuel gauge problem is well known and well documented. General consensus is that even if you get it fixed, it may still be unreliable. Only way to avoid running out of fuel is to refuel based upon odometer. Most of us start looking for a fuel station around 240 miles on a tank and start to get concerned at about 260. I've pulled 300 on a tank, but then again I've run out at 290. I was out in the boonies yesterday and didn't notice I was running low; I found a station with 285 on the odometer but was really sweating bullets. Still showed 20 miles to go, and it took 6.5 gal, so I did have reserve.

A tip - if you do run out, you can tip the bike well over to the left side and get a bit more fuel over to the fuel pump. You may get another 5 miles or so out of it that way. Not recommended as a standard procedure, but it may save your bacon some day.

JayJay

#35 ·
Just found out about this issue the hard way with my 2008 RT, at 17,747 miles. :mad: After years of working perfectly, I run out of gas with about a 1/4 tank showing and no light. Hmm. Gassed it up and decided I need to check my gas more often. Then yesterday ran out of gas again, fuel gauge showing ~1/4 tank, no light - the odo showed 295 miles since the last fillup! Man impressed with the range, but I guess I can no longer depend on the gas gauge/computer to remind me to fill up!!!

#36 ·
Bob - welcome to the great boxer fuel strip failure club. My experience was similar to yours: years of no problems, then a sudden failure of the strip at about 52K miles. The second strip lasted less than a tank before it failed. I'm not on #3 and so far (knock on wood) it's doing well.

General consensus here seems to be watch your odometer and fill up with about 250 miles on the tank. I've run out at a hair over 290 miles, so sounds like your 295 was in the ballpark.

Good luck.

JayJay

#39 ·
Should be free if your in the states.

#41 ·
Well, as long as we're resurrecting this thread - my post from two years ago (above) stated that #3 was working fine in September 2013. It lasted until summer 2014, then I had #4 put in. That one lasted about a month, but I said to hell with it lived with it. I have my bike in at the dealer for the flange recall today and they're putting in fuel strip #5 . Service manager reports a steady business replacing fuel strips under the extended warranty (including a lot of guys like me that put it off until they had the bike in for the flange recall, that's a pretty common suite of service). He's seen no particular improvement in the part, the new ones are consistently failing too.

I got 4-1/2 years out of the original fuel strip, and the replacements have lasted well less than a year each - including #2 that failed in less than a single tank.

How many ways can you say "bad design"?

JayJay

#42 ·
How many ways can you say "bad design"?
JayJay
Multi Switch recall, rear flange, coolant leak, fuel flange, fuel strips, bad driver seat, weak horns, etc., etc.,etc..... Sad thing is I could go on and on. BUT, we still love them.

#46 ·
Not Mine. Only the BMWs. But I bought another one and I'm looking at a 2015RT. I'm a glutton for punishment.

#47 ·
well i have had 4 bmws and the only issue has been a crown bearing replacement. no big deal. a few recalls for switches and brake line re routes but no issues from any of those for me.

so there you go.. different strokes different blokes..

#49 ·
Hi to all,
the fuel gauge on my 2008 RT started acting up after over filling my gas tank. Most of you know that the overflow gas go into the charcoal canister. when your charcoal get soaked the stops venting the gas tank. It is my opinion that the U.S dealerships know the cause of the fuel gauge problem, but they make a ton of money on waranty work.
so the salution is : 1. Do not overfill your gas tank.
2 . If you do and your gauge goes out, open the
gas cap then restart . The yellow light goes out
and the gauge reads properly.
3. check out Chris Harris youtube video to remove
the charcoal canister.

#50 ·
Hi to all,
the fuel gauge on my 2008 RT started acting up after over filling my gas tank. Most of you know that the overflow gas go into the charcoal canister. when your charcoal get soaked the stops venting the gas tank. It is my opinion that the U.S dealerships know the cause of the fuel gauge problem, but they make a ton of money on waranty work.
so the salution is : 1. Do not overfill your gas tank.
2 . If you do and your gauge goes out, open the
gas cap then restart . The yellow light goes out
and the gauge reads properly.
3. check out Chris Harris youtube video to remove

the charcoal canister.
This was certainly not the cause of the fuel strip failure on mine since my bike (Canadian model) doesn't have this charcoal canister.

As far as I know, only US bikes have one.

#53 ·
The gas tank is vented vented through the charcoal filter, if it does not vent I asure you have problems with your fuel gauge. When the yellow light comes on and you gauge reads empty , turn off your bike, open the gas cap, close the gas cap , restart your bike and ride. You will see the gauge is back to normal. BMW dealer will be able to make money from the warranty or selling you parts you don't need.

#54 ·
Do a search in this forum and you will learn from previous discussions!

FYI, fuel strips are covered for 12 years now, and if one fail for you, the dealer will replace it for free!

#55 ·
FYI, fuel strips are covered for 12 years now, and if one fail for you, the dealer will replace it for free!
I don't know where Joeed35 is situated but as far as I know,this extended warranty on fuel strips is only in the US

There is no official warranty extension in Canada.
BMW Canada authorizes the replacement on a case by case basis.
They did replace mine free of charge though. (as a goodwill gesture)

#56 ·
That is great that the fuel strip is covered , but I have more important things to do than go to the dealer 5 times a year to get a free part. I haven't heard anyone prove that the fuel strip was bad. Our U.S. dealer simply to keep there service departments in work. I telling guys , make sure your gas tank is venting properly. Its doesn't make since to me to keep doing the same thing. When that yellow light comes on simply open the gas cap. That releases the pressure. You'll see that the yellow light will go off and gas gauge is reading properly.

#57 ·
Have a 2010 R1200r.Started riding one morning with about 3/4 tank from the day before.
Fuel warning light came on and gauge read empty.
Thought someone had pinched my fuel.
Got to work and checked level which was 3/4 full.
Bike had done 25,000Kms using 95% octane fuel. No problem with my previous 2007 R1200R @ 45,000Kms
BMW Group Australia had no comment about the world issue of failing fuel strips. There is no recall or waranty replacement bulletin. Told to book the bike in for analysis ( to be paid for).
Have not yet had a response from BMW Motorrad Germany as yet (emailed 1 1/2 weeks ago) just had an email saying it would be referred to the apropriate department).
It appears us Aussies are kept in the dark as usual.
Shame such a prestigious business has such shocking customer care!
Regards, Paul Western Australia)

#58 ·
Please go to this link and file a complaint if your having or had the same problem with the defective fuel strip I need your help to get the FTC to take action against this. File complaints to the FTC by phone its 877-382-4357 or log into the website.

I purchased a 2010 R1200R BMW motorcycle new. At 700 miles the motorcycle gauge showed it had a half tank of gas left; however, the tank was actually empty and the motorcycle shut off in the middle of the interstate, leaving me stranded. The dealer replaced the fuel strip and the factory sent me a letter by mail stating they extended the warranty for 12 years. Around 1000 miles the motorcycle started showing the tank was empty when it was actually almost full. I called the dealer back and they replaced the fuel strip once again. At this time I asked the dealer if they were putting a different part in or if they new what the problem was, they stated that they were replacing it with the same fuel strip that was in it before. Stating that usually they just replace them once for other people and the no longer have a problem which I have found out isn't true. At 1300 miles, once again the bike showed that it was empty when it actually had a full tank and that is at this current time. I once again called the dealer and they told me it was no problem, to come back and they would replace it again with the same type of fuel strip as they have been putting in. I asked once again if they figured out what the problem was and they said no but they would keep putting in the same apparently defective fuel strip for up to the 12 year extension of the warranty. I've read hundreds of complaints online about people having the same problem, but it appears no one is filing complaints to the FTC. All I want is to be able to look at my gauges and see how much fuel I have and why BMW has chosen to pacify the customer instead of correcting the faulty fuel strip and do a recall not just putting the same defective strip in. From what I understand, If enough people file a complaint having the same problem, the FTC will do something about it.

Greatly appreciated

#59 ·
HI all i have a 2008 rt with 40k on the clock,I bought the bike 2nd at 5yrs old, A month after i got her the first strip failed,£200 later and 100 miles round trip i got her fixed,,2 yrs and 11 days later once again failed, as there is only a 2yr warranty and i was 11 day out £200 again,6 weeks after that want again,once again replace and this time it last 6 month,i have just had a new one fitted this weekend 29/04/2017. ive send all this to BMW UK and all i got back was sorry but its getting fix and that was that even tho the shop has told me BMW know its a design fault as they have now gone back to the float gauge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.