BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Weep Hole Drilling Video

72K views 89 replies 48 participants last post by  sailor 
#1 · (Edited)
Many of you at CCR last year saw the Weep Hole Drilling Video that Dan Sullivan and I put together at STC last April. I have added a few things that we were not able to film at the time and a few tool tips as well. The Video is broken up into three parts Weep A, B and C. "A" gets you to the slave. "B" covers drilling the weep hole and "C" takes you through reassembly of the bike.

Here is the links to each of the videos:
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

They are still fairly large files 250, 140, and 201 Mb but a high speed connection should have no trouble. If there is some one out there that really needs this and has a slow dial up PM me for alternatives.

I also highly recommend you download Kevin Cook's instructions that we used during the filming. You can find them here:
Slave Drilling Procedure

I had fun doing this and have learned a bit about video editing at the same time. We plan to film a brake flush this year at STC and will include segments for the three brake variants on the LT. Hope you enjoy the videos.

See less See more
#3 ·
Excellent video series! Takes a lot of the mystery out of that, and related jobs. Thank you very much!! Is there any chance you could give us some measured plans of both the seal depth installation tool and the Final Drive jig? Both look to be very helpful tools and I would love to have them in my tool box.

Thank you again!

#4 ·
Great job!

We need to get a tech session sorted here in the UK, and do one of these.

#5 · (Edited)
Family_fun said:
Excellent video series! Takes a lot of the mystery out of that, and related jobs. Thank you very much!! Is there any chance you could give us some measured plans of both the seal depth installation tool and the Final Drive jig? Both look to be very helpful tools and I would love to have them in my tool box.

Thank you again!
I think Dman made these pictures. You could actually make it out of plastic. My machinist friend just got a little carried away. The stand was thrown together from scrap pieces but let me see if I can at least do some rough dimentions on a drawing. Good idea.

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
rdwalker said:
John, excellent job!

How the heck did you get these out so easily? :confused: It's a conspiracy!
Thanks Robert,

The part you could not see in the video is the grimace on my face as I was sweating bullets as I pressed on the breaker bar.:eek: These were all well oiled which is contrary to the manual that defines the torque value "dry". But they were not loose or overly tight.

#7 ·
jzeiler said:
I think John Bowles made these pictures. You could actually make it out of plastic. My machinist friend just got a little carried away. The stand was thrown together from scrap pieces but let me see if I can at least do some rough dimentions on a drawing. Good idea.

No, I can't take credit for the design or the posting of those pictures, that was Duane in Rapid City. But I used those specs to make mine and Jack's from hard plastic or Delrin as well. The plastic is good for preventing damage to the aluminum case.

Didn't watch the videos yet, I'm sure there great, John. Thanks for putting them together. And yes, the drive stand is simple and sweet.

#8 ·
John, I watched the videos last night and found them to be extremely helpful. I will not be afraid to tackle this project now as long as I have a torque wrench capable of re-torquing the swing arm to 500+ nM's.

One observation: If you ever attend a tech session where one of these videos are taken STFU until the camera stops rolling! Otherwise you sound like a Goob and distract from the otherwise excellent quality of the video.

Thank you John for an informative, timely, and well done video!

Loren

#9 ·
#10 ·
jzeiler said:
Many of you at CCR last year saw the Weep Hole Drilling Video that Dan Sullivan and I put together at STC last April. I have added a few things that we were not able to film at the time and a few tool tips as well. The Video is broken up into three parts Weep A, B and C. "A" gets you to the slave. "B" covers drilling the weep hole and "C" takes you through reassembly of the bike.

I had fun doing this and have learned a bit about video editing at the same time. We plan to film a brake flush this year at STC and will include segments for the three brake variants on the LT. Hope you enjoy the videos.
I have watched the first two and am loading the third now. These are very helpful and I look forward to the future ones. Now if i just had a video on installing the GPS and CB radio as those are my next projects.

Now if you can just get your camera man (or woman) to move more slowly! I was getting seasick in a few spots! :D
:)

Reactions: Stargazer2000
#11 ·
Go easy on Dan. He had just bought that Flip camera and this was his first shot at filming. I'll set some rules for the Brake Flush we are doing on the 16th so hopefully it will come out a little bit better. Glad everyone is enjoying these.

#12 ·
jzeiler said:
Go easy on Dan. He had just bought that Flip camera and this was his first shot at filming. I'll set some rules for the Brake Flush we are doing on the 16th so hopefully it will come out a little bit better. Glad everyone is enjoying these.
No offense intended, just a little ribbing. Having done a fair bit of video work myself, I know how hard it is to think about what the film will look like when you are filming it. I am sure that Dan will do things a lot different next time after viewing his first efforts. It just takes a little time and practice and he'll be shooting like a pro in now time.

Now if I just had a FTTH connection so that I didn't have to keep waiting for more of the video to load! I am about halfway through the last segment now...

#16 ·
Glad everyone is enjoying this. I got some good footage of the 2003 brake flush today at STC 2010 and tomorrow I'll get some of an early 2001 non-integral. Should have a three version flush video well before CCR. Working towards virtual tech sessions.

#17 ·
jzeiler said:
Glad everyone is enjoying this. I got some good footage of the 2003 brake flush today at STC 2010 and tomorrow I'll get some of an early 2001 non-integral. Should have a three version flush video well before CCR. Working towards virtual tech sessions.
That is great, John. I appreciate your effort here and keep those videos coming!

Any plans to do one regarding installation of the CB Communicator? I just got mine and the instructions suck.

#19 ·
If you watch the first video it explains it but here you go.

The chamber that holds the slave is not vented so if either the rear transmission input shaft seal or the slave start leaking the fluid fills the chamber and flows down the release rod and contaminates the clutch. The weep hole gives you an inspection point for discovery of the leak BEFORE the clutch starts slipping. Applicable to all LT models.

#20 ·
jzeiler said:
If you watch the first video it explains it but here you go.

The chamber that holds the slave is not vented so if either the rear transmission input shaft seal or the slave start leaking the fluid fills the chamber and flows down the release rod and contaminates the clutch. The weep hole gives you an inspection point for discovery of the leak BEFORE the clutch starts slipping. Applicable to all LT models.
Looks like something I need to put on my "To Do" list. Don't want to have to get into replacing a clutch unnecessarily. What year models are we talking about? Did BMW figure it out and start doing this at the factory on later models?

#23 ·
No BMW has never acknowledged this procedure. It does not garantee a fail safe clutch either as there are engine and front transmission seals that come into play (this area was dry during my clutch change). All it does is give you an inspection port to see when either the slave or the rear input shaft seal are leaking so you can take steps to fix them before they take out the clutch.
The procedure is the same for all model years.

#24 ·
I have an 05 LT and have viewed these excellent video's and feel comfortable in tackling this job should it be necessary to change the seal at the same time. The question on my mind is if it necessary to do all this work to simply drill the weeping hole? I tend to think that one would have to move the hydrolic unit out of the way and the muffler bracket to get to the area where the hole should be drilled. Most likely this info exists but I don't have much luck searching this site.

Doug

#25 ·
For the clutch slave you pretty much have to follow the videos. In order to gain access to the clutch slave and to pinpoint the right place to drill the hole it all has to come off. Not such a bad job to do though. Just make sure you have the 30 mm window socket in hand before you start the job. Its a must have

Loren

Doug69 said:
I have an 05 LT and have viewed these excellent video's and feel comfortable in tackling this job should it be necessary to change the seal at the same time. The question on my mind is if it necessary to do all this work to simply drill the weeping hole? I tend to think that one would have to move the hydrolic unit out of the way and the muffler bracket to get to the area where the hole should be drilled. Most likely this info exists but I don't have much luck searching this site.

Doug

#26 ·
I believe the swing arm is in the way and you just can't do it without taking the bike apart..

I would have if I could have gotten away with it...You can do the whole job by yourself in a day and a twelve pack....It's really not difficult, It's just a procedure...

John

#27 ·
Doug69 said:

Doug
You could drill the hole without removing anything major, but I don't recommend it since you don't have a good way to measure just where to drill it. You run the risk of damaging the slave or the rear seal on the tranny if you are off very much. Better to pull it all apart as often I find a weeping tranny seal when I am in there. No bad slaves yet though. Can be done in about 2 hours if you have the right tools and nothing goes wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.