BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Four-Pole line out cable from R1200RT (2010) Radio ?

74K views 129 replies 43 participants last post by  MontyRed2007 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have installed my intercom (Autocom) on my 2010 R1200RT SE which has the BMW radio installed.

In the BMW Motorrad audio system Riders Manual it states on page 34 under “Additional Speakers” that there is a Four-Pole Plug Connection which is a (Line Out) from the radio which I can use to feed the audio output of the radio to an intercom. It even shows the plug position in a photo indicating it is cable tied to the bracket between the front forks.

On my machine there is only one plug cable tied there and that is a two-pole plug for connecting to a Navigator IV.

I went to my dealer today and even looking in the BMW Technical Workshop Manual it talks about the Four-Pole plug and optional connecting cable but it neither shows where it is or gives a part number for any optional cable on the system.

I was then put on to one of their head technical types somewhere at BMW HQ and he said the line out is under the rear seat near the lock ??

I got home and checked. I was sure it wasn’t’t there because that’s where I installed the Autocom at weekend along side the alarm and sure enough no four-pole line out cable..

Has Anyone found the four pole cable or plug on their 2010 RT yet ?

M.

See less See more
#80 ·
I too have been chasing this solution for a little while and without going back and reading every entry I think that I have today established that there definitely is no BMW cable that is designed to plug the ZUMO into the audio system.
The cable that does this is actually hard wired into the Navigator IV cradle and piggy backs the power cable.
Attached is a BMW diagram showing the cable and cradle as part #3.
It appears that the next best option is the home made doovy using the CARTOOLS plug and some solder :(

Attachments

#81 ·
realworld51 said:
Found earlier in this thread...

"plug 611656" is used for GPS audio.

Hope this helps.
I have a 611656 sitting here and it is a 3 pin not 2 :confused:

#82 ·
Has ANYONE succesfully connected a ZUMO 550 into a 2010 RT audio using the 2 pin line in plug that is meant for the Nav 4.
If so what is the trick?
I have both the 2 pin line in and 4 pin line out plugs ready to go, I am in the process of doing the line in first, I have connected the 2 pin plug, connected a 3.5m male jack into the zumo mount and roughly twisted the wires from the 3.5m jack to the 2 wires coming from the 2 pin connector and I am getting nothing, nada, coming through from the GPS to the bikes audio.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Andrew

#83 · (Edited)
OK Guys, ive made ton of progress today but still cant nail this project down.

I now have audio in from the ZUMO into the bikes audio, first part done.

Second part is the audio out. I have purchased and cut a M/F 3.5m stereo cable and used the male end to go from the ZUMO to the 2 pin audio in on the bike and the female end I have wired into the 4 pin audio out plug on the bike just as has been shown in previous threads.
Wire 1 is ground, wires 3 and 4 are left and right.

When I strip back the cable on the 3.5m plug there is an exposed copper cable and two smaller inner insulated wires. One green, one red. I have assmed on both cables used that the exposed copper is the ground, and that the two smaller insulated strands are left and right..

My problem now is that when i connect my ear buds into the female 3.5m coming from the 4 pin audio out I only get one channel.

When i insert the male plug to the first detent I get sound in both channels, when on the second detent I get sound in only one and then when fully inserted I get sound in the opposite channel than detent 2.

WTF????

I initially thought that the 3.5m cable that I had purchased must have been faulty so I went and bought a fancy one with gold plated ends :cool: but it is exactly the same.

The bike is in bits and I dont want to put her back together until I have this nailed.

Anyone??? Please!!!!!!

#84 ·
Being awake while most of you guys are sleeping makes it a little lonely but I often end up answering my own posts.

Embarrassingly, after spending at least 5 hours this afternoon attempting to solve this single audio channel problem I have now fixed it.

For some reason I decided to simply touch the exposed speakers in the dash that the Ipod was playing through and noticed that the left speaker wasnt working.

Turns out the BMW Ipod adaptor which has both a USB and a 3.5M plug had a dodgy connection in the 3.5m connector.

I spun it around a couple of times and hey presto, two channel stereo audio!!!!

Thanks for nothing you sleepy bastards :rotf:

Another RT audio project completed :dance:

#85 ·
I have successfully connected the Stereo output from the Zumo 660 to the 2010 R1200RT’s audio system. The audio from the Zumo will now interrupt and mute whatever is playing on the RTs audio system and the Zumo audio will be heard.

The one fairly serious limitation of this setup is that the level of the Zumo audio is significantly lower that the audio level of the RTs audio. This is the case both with or without the resistors in place (only one channel was connected to test this to protect the Zumo from short circuiting the output.)

It seems that the setup would benefit from some amplification of the signal coming from the Zumo.

I’m not sure what the optimal value for the resistors is, but it seems to work with the values I selected as well as others that I tried. Use my design at your own discretion. If anyone has any data that would support a different value, please let me know.

The attached pictures show the components required and the assembly process to build the required interconnect.

To summarize:
• Acquire the BMW repair connector as pictured
• Acquire a 3 conductor stereo connector or cable to match the audio output on the Zumo
• Acquire 2 resistors
• Assemble the components following the included schematic and photos. Soldering skills and shrink tube required.
• Install the finished cable between the audio output connector on the Zumo and the audio input on the RT (located attached to the frame near the steering head on my 2010) and secure the cable with wire ties are required.

Feel free to duplicate for yourself and enjoy the results, but use at your own risk.

Cheers.

The full set of pictures can be found here: Link to pictures

#86 ·
Blaine, as per my PM, I managed to get the GPS in and Audio out complted on the weekend.
I havent had the same problem as you with the low GPS command volume.
The audio system semi mutes the music audio when the GPS commands are recieved.
I went into the ZUMO setup menu and seleceted 100% volume for the GPS and then selected the volume control button on the front of the unit and powered it up to full volume.
While it isnt screaming at me, it is certainly loud enough to hear what Miss Daisy is telling me.

#87 ·
Blaine,

I also haven't noticed any problem with the GPS (665) audio out level. I made a connector like you did but with some slight differences. I used 1K resistors (only because that's the info I found on an audio website, it may not make a difference) and it looks like I wired with opposite polarity from yours. I couldn't find any definite info but my assumption was that white/brown would be audio ground (since brown in BMW wiring is ground) and white is connected to the resistors (audio positive).

Tom

#91 ·
Last night I helped my friend with a new 2011 R1200RT wire up a 3.5mm female TRS receptacle so he could use his Etymotic earbuds with the RT's audio and source controls.Steve's (snelso15) instructions in post #68 on this thread were right on the money. The setup works perfectly. Thanks, Steve!

Mike

#92 ·
dmavrika said:
As I connected the thing directly to the music (line in) of my intercom (Starcom1) I am relatively certain that it is a passive connection (line out). However, BMW describes it (albeit in the manual that has got everything wrong) as a line out AND a connection for rear speakers, so one might assume that it carries some amplification. If so, it is not too strong as to cause an issue. In your case I would give it a try.
By using the Starcom1 or Autocom interface lead you are protecting against a potential pre-amp destroying over-voltage while avoiding a ground loop at the same time.

If you are using Autocom, look at 2273 or 2275. The later has a switch to choose between the speakers and the Autocom.

The 2nd ring on the connector is probably for a microphone input either present or future.

My advice is to use the car stereo interface cable with either system and ignore that jack. My guess is that the jack has to do with future factory expansion like top-case mounted rear speakers, a Bluetooth module, or what not. Just hook into the speaker outputs using a 2273 or 2275, be done, and get out riding.

#93 ·
post #68 by Steve worked like a charm on my 2012 RT. I now have Scarlo G4 with phone and GPS thru Nav IV, and Sirius radio, I pod or whatever thru blue tooth.... by adding cable and blue tooth dongle... And all controlled by the onboard system... works great.

I am bumping this for newbees....this was a big find for me.

#94 ·
I've been following this thread, and all I read about is a hard-wired audio system. This bike has BT and it should work flawlessly...for $1300. After spending that kind of money, you shouldn't have to wire-around the BT system to receive quality audio.

I'm very disappointed, and what makes it worse, is I didn't want the audio system in the first place.

#95 ·
dallasrtrider said:
I've been following this thread, and all I read about is a hard-wired audio system. This bike has BT and it should work flawlessly...for $1300. After spending that kind of money, you shouldn't have to wire-around the BT system to receive quality audio.

I'm very disappointed, and what makes it worse, is I didn't want the audio system in the first place.
It isn't a matter of the system not being able to support quality w/ BT for me. BT is just one part of the sound system and a part I didn't want to use -- charging my helmet to support a long ride just isn't something I'm interested in.

One simple cable and I've got PERFECT hardwired sound in my helmet, so I don't need extra electronic toys. :)

#96 ·
MTRREF said:
It isn't a matter of the system not being able to support quality w/ BT for me. BT is just one part of the sound system and a part I didn't want to use -- charging my helmet to support a long ride just isn't something I'm interested in.

One simple cable and I've got PERFECT hardwired sound in my helmet, so I don't need extra electronic toys. :)
I too will testify to the above.

#97 ·
Hi All - I've been following this post with interest as I have a new 2012 R1200RT with the BMW Factory radio system and too would like to use my 3.5 mm ear buds without having to go Blue Tooth -Demtris do you know if the plug you show would be on the steering head on a 2012RT (as some BMW folks claim) I have a small 2 connector plug and then a larger 4 connector exactly like the one you show - maybe it's the audio plug we're speaking of for the mysterious rear speakers- in case you hadn't noticed I'm trying avoid a Tupperware party for this plug if I have to correct one on the steering head I can easily reach it by hand with no disassemble -- comments welcome some of the BMW documents seem to indicate they "may" have moved this plug (the 4 connector) here in expectation of some type of hook-up or at least the other side of the connector? Maybe not? if I do pull the fairing and find the "plug" by the tach I will post as such --

Chilly -Colorado (former a K1200LT rider - now enjoying w/o audio my RT)

#98 ·
Note to self - read forum first - then post -- I found that this is in fact the four pole connector under the steering head (and I have one) also that MAX BMW (Thanks Drew) has the correct part for the "male" side of the plug (BMW Part #83300413584) I will soon be enjoying my custom fitted ear plug/phones again!!! no more crappy radio at 60 mph (or more!)

Thanks to all that posted the answer to the question that BMW never seemed to want to address!

#99 ·
:rotf: Works like a champ! follow the instruction in post #68 and your good to go my "beats" buds never sounded better - the "plug"is located on the steering head fro the 2010-2012 RT's
the posted part number 83300413584 is correct and available at max BMW (www.maxbmw.com) remember to set the setting on the "tone" function and fader --

See ya down the road - I'll be the one rocking side to side with the beat!

Chilly

#100 ·
snelso15 said:
I also have found sound for the rear speaker plug on my 2010 R1200RT. The plug on the bike is on the right side of the front hoop, over the headlamp. It is on the hoop just below the windscreen power motor on the right side. I had to take the headlamp out to find it on my bike. It was taped to the hoop. It has four wires, all grey with a stripe. The grey w/brown stripe is the ground, grey w/white stripe is the right speaker, grey w/red stripe left speaker, grey w/black stripe is not used. The correct part number for the plug that matches the plug on the bike is BMW # 83 30 0 413 584. It is a 4 wire plug with numbers on the back and on each wire. When this plug is plugged into the bike the ground wire for the left and right is #1, the right speaker is #3, the left speaker is #4, #2 is not used. I was able to hook mine to a 3.5mm extension wire that I ran to the glove box where I hooked it to blue tooth adaptor. Now I have bluetooth music to my helmet when I want. I can connect ear buds or my bluetooth adaptor to the 3.5mm female end. When I have the fader on anything less than 10 it plays music to the front speakers and my helmet. With the bluetooth adaptor there is a slight delay to my helmet, that has been the only negative. There is no delay with earbuds. (my description of right is if your sitting on the bike) Good luck. Steve

Thanks for the good info. Can you tell me the best place to find the 3.5 mm extension wire to use with your instructions? I have the BMW 584 plug and I thought is was going to come with the 3.5 mm end. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.