BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Ordered new GT, need advice on options please

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  MikeL 
#1 ·
Well, I went in to the dealer intending to order an RT, but liked the GT much better, so the deal was done. I went with almost all of the options, but didn't order a few and am looking for input to see if I should call back and add the following:

1. Tall windsheild - I'm 6', but ride most often now (ST1300) with the windshield lowered (it's hot in south Texas). I'm guessing my windshield is up maybe 25% of the time due to rain or listening to the radio. Anyone think I should order the tall windshield, or should I maybe try the lower one and switch to an aftermarket if needed?

2. Anti-theft alarm - The bike is garaged overnight. I work at home, so no problems except for store runs and such. I've never had a problem, but also never owned a $20k+ bike before. Are BMW's known to be a "hot" item for theft?

3. Xenon Lights - I almost never ride at night (maybe 5% of the time). This seemed like alot of expense ($465) for a brighter light. Maybe it's needed, though, for better daytime visability?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The bike is coming with Stability Control, and I'll report back after I get it if anyone is interested. I should probably call the Dealer back on Monday if adding any of the above mentioned farkles.

Thanks,
Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
Your call obviously. For reference, my '07 came fully loaded. I had to wait a bit for it, bit I got exactly what I wanted.

1. Tall windshield - I'd save the money and go aftermarket. You'll get much better wind protection that way. Mine actually came with a tall windshield, which is still in the factory packaging as I had a Cee Bailey screen put on the day I picked up the bike.

2. Anti-theft alarm - I opted for this, but could have gone either way. The GT's key has a chip for the built in immobilizer, so the alarm is basically just a noise maker.

3. Xenon Lights - better daytime visibility, and phenomenally better at night. I passed up quite a few bikes waiting for one to come with the Xenon light. Sounds like you may not use it much, but I'll never own another bike without a Xenon head light.

But don't fret too much about it. The base package is awesome, and these really are just details. Enjoy the new bike, and don't drive yourself too crazy waiting for it to come in.

#4 ·
The one of the perks of owning a BMW versus a Hardley Driveable is that nobody wants to steal your BMW. I'd not spend extra for the alarm. OK. I didn't spend extra for the alarm.

I thought that I was getting the tall windshield. I didn't get it. Macht nicht. I've a +3/+0 Cee and it works well (mostly).

Lighting-wise, I traded a 2k 1100RT for my GT. The RT had PIAA 1100X lights beneath the oil cooler and, to quote my kids, were brighter than the sun. Standard lighting on the GT is so much better than the RT, even with the PIAAs, for riding at night. Having said this, I did order some Moto-Lights when I made my purchase, strictly for the sake of being more visible to cagers & soccer moms. I don't actually need better illumination for night riding. Short story long, no HID for me.

TPM might be nice. Wasn't available on my early '07.

As said before, basic package is quite nice and very well appointed as is. Hopefully more will chime in. More opinions will give you more to base your decisions on.

#5 ·
MG37221 said:
The one of the perks of owning a BMW versus a Hardley Driveable is that nobody wants to steal your BMW. I'd not spend extra for the alarm. OK. I didn't spend extra for the alarm.

I thought that I was getting the tall windshield. I didn't get it. Macht nicht. I've a +3/+0 Cee and it works well (mostly).

Lighting-wise, I traded a 2k 1100RT for my GT. The RT had PIAA 1100X lights beneath the oil cooler and, to quote my kids, were brighter than the sun. Standard lighting on the GT is so much better than the RT, even with the PIAAs, for riding at night. Having said this, I did order some Moto-Lights when I made my purchase, strictly for the sake of being more visible to cagers & soccer moms. I don't actually need better illumination for night riding. Short story long, no HID for me.

TPM might be nice. Wasn't available on my early '07.

As said before, basic package is quite nice and very well appointed as is. Hopefully more will chime in. More opinions will give you more to base your decisions on.
MG37221-
Can I ask what Moto Lights you mounted to the GT and where?

#8 ·
larrykay said:
I mounted my motolights on the brake calipers. They look great and give a lot of light, but most of all, the bike is more conspicuious with the triangle points of light during the day...
Yep. What larrykay said. Ordered mine when I bought the bike. Dealer forgot about 'em. They'll actually be installed this week during my 6K service. By the way, Motolights is the brand name.

http://motolight.com/

#9 ·
Thanks for the input everyone! I let the dealer know that the Xenon headlights were a must have. If he can find a bike in the area, I told him not to worry about the alarm and high screen either way, but if I have to order one from the factory, then to include both. It's funny, I can't count the bikes I've bought over the years, but this is the first one I've been "worked up" over in quite a while. I'm not sure if it's a middle-aged or a BMW thing. :)
Mike

#10 ·
MikeL said:
Thanks for the input everyone! I let the dealer know that the Xenon headlights were a must have. If he can find a bike in the area, I told him not to worry about the alarm and high screen either way, but if I have to order one from the factory, then to include both. It's funny, I can't count the bikes I've bought over the years, but this is the first one I've been "worked up" over in quite a while. I'm not sure if it's a middle-aged or a BMW thing. :)
Mike
Hey, Mike - congrats on the middle-aged thang, and the BMW thang too!!! Soon as you git her on the road, drop by World Kkaafffee Hqtrs in Leon Springs (Starbucks) some Friday morning 'tween 0600-0800. Several local riders stop in for chat and a cup or two, on their way in to work. Love to meetcha and see the new scoot.

BTW - you dealin' with Alamo? Next time you talk to 'em, ax 'em what the story is on their new location out 'tween Leon Springs and Fair Oaks. They still have plans to relocate there this fall?

Ride safe, Mike.

#11 ·
The alarm and tall screen can both be retrofitted by the dealer very easily. When it came time to order my GT, I knew exactly what I wanted for every option. I'd done my research well. But I just couldn't decide on the color. Then I saw the dark Graphite in person and knew. :)

And you'll enjoy the Xenon headlight. After riding literally from dawn to midnight yesterday, I was very glad to have it. This bike rocks. :D

#12 ·
Hey Dick - You're not going to believe this, but that's my office! I work out of the house a few miles from there (up Cielo Vista) and use Starbucks for all my meetings (plus I get alot of 'branch' offices also :) ) So I'm in there quite a bit, usually on a black Honda ST1300. Yep, I'm buying from Alamo - they're calling back tomorrow with info on finding a bike locally. I'll ask about the move.

6 - 8 ? Too early for me! My office is 30' from the bedroom and I'm still late every day. I always say I should fire myself, but then would have no one to do the work.

Small world, huh?

#13 ·
MikeL said:
Hey Dick - You're not going to believe this, but that's my office! I work out of the house a few miles from there (up Cielo Vista) and use Starbucks for all my meetings (plus I get alot of 'branch' offices also :) ) So I'm in there quite a bit, usually on a black Honda ST1300. Yep, I'm buying from Alamo - they're calling back tomorrow with info on finding a bike locally. I'll ask about the move.

6 - 8 ? Too early for me! My office is 30' from the bedroom and I'm still late every day. I always say I should fire myself, but then would have no one to do the work.

Small world, huh?
Well, dang Mike. Can't believe we haven't crossed paths yet!! 5 or 6 years ago, I used to love taking ole Toad for a spin on Cielo Vista, over to Babcock and down to Kyle Seale and out to 1604 and back. Can't do that anymore, cuz the 'hood grew!! :( Amazing, the growth.

Good luck on Alamo finding a bike for ya, Mike. We'll meet up one of these dayz. Scream if you ever ride over to Boerne's Starbucks, next to Chili's at 46 and I-10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.