BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

K1200LT Oil Change - Refill Annoyances

25K views 63 replies 36 participants last post by  garage monster 
#1 ·
Having just come inside from an oil change on the LT, I was wondering if there isn't an easier way (or, a better funnel) for doing an oil change?

I've been using this funnel. It has some nice features, including a shutoff valve, a cap on the downstream end, and a lid.

It works, but I have problems getting it to stay in place. I use a bungee cord to hang it off the right handlebar grip but I have to babysit all 4 quarts of oil. Because of the slight angle as the hose enters the fill hole it takes forever to add 4 quarts, and it's easy to run fresh oil down the side of the engine, behind the fairing, etc., etc. What a mess.

I was thinking of using something like this. Is anyone using this funnel, something like it... or anything else?

I'm also open to other ideas, including special techniques that you find useful. Thanks!

<edit>Just found this. Interesting.

See less See more
#27 ·
Hilton said:
Guess I'm just old fashioned. Still use the really simple folded paper OEM type. :bmw:
Two reasons:
1. It works well. Open it up, place it in the fill hole and pour in the oil one litre at a time from the bottle. KISS
2. Being on tour, space is always at a premium. The folded paper type is as small as it gets

Also, they are always clean for first use and just toss away after.

Cheers.
Speaking of paper...
When learning to fly I also learned how easy it was to use a piece of notebook paper as an oil funnel for a Cessna 172. :rolleyes:

#28 ·
OK well 2.42 out the door, it will not fit in my 07's fill hole.

So now on to the mother of invention, necessity!

All I had to do was hunt up some stuff and all but 4 quarts of 20-50w flowed in pretty short order. free is good.

Worked for me!

#29 ·
Lee,
IPS (iron pipe size) PVC (Sch 40, 80) has a larger outside diameter than copper tubing. Had you gotten CTS (copper tube size) PVC, it would have fit, assuming the fill holes for all years are the same size.

It looks like you solved the puzzle with a piece of garden hose.

#31 ·
Lee510 said:
Lee,
IPS (iron pipe size) PVC (Sch 40, 80) has a larger outside diameter than copper tubing. Had you gotten CTS (copper tube size) PVC, it would have fit, assuming the fill holes for all years are the same size.

I see a group buy opportunity here! :rolleyes: :D

#32 ·
LAF said:
OK well 2.42 out the door, it will not fit in my 07's fill hole.

So now on to the mother of invention, necessity!

All I had to do was hunt up some stuff and all but 4 quarts of 20-50w flowed in pretty short order. free is good.

Worked for me!
Lee, how do you use this - do you have to hold the funnel while each quart drains into the fill opening, or do you rig it somehow so it can be unattended?

#34 ·
hschisler said:
Lee, how do you use this - do you have to hold the funnel while each quart drains into the fill opening, or do you rig it somehow so it can be unattended?
Well I just held it with one hand and poured the gallon with the other. The pain is waiting not having to use two hands. It really is that simple. I held it at a bit of an angle so as to not fill the funnel but to pour through.

I was using the hose and large cup that Dick and others talked about, too slow. This worked well, but it was 90 degrees out also.

#35 ·
GlennM86 said:
You opened this can of worms. This is how I use my Form a Funnel for Tranny fluid changes. No removal of an interference required when using the 14 mm allen/hex socket. I pressed the allen part out of the socket and used a gear wrench.

Hijack over....sorry.
Well needed water softener salt so stopped at NAPA on the way to check it out. She wanted 39 bucks! I go there a lot, and it was open and you could see someone had been playing with it, probably many people :rolleyes:

Anyway I ask what is the best you can do and she said 28.00 so I took it!

From your photos it is well worth 28 bucks to not have to deal with gear oil all over. I mean I do well but I still make a mess. And most of us bought the hex key and cut chunks off of it to open the transmission, and we also use a ratcheting wrench, or at least the way I was shown at my first Tech Session. It does work well.

Your photos convinced me, and I will carry it on the road. I am going to see if I can add oil with it. I have never needed to between changes in 28,000 miles, but you never know.

Thanks for the lead...............

#36 ·
Lee510 said:
Lee,

Thanks after I got home and looked I realized my mistake. But 2.41 was not making me run back out in the heat, and that hunk of garden hose I been saving for 5 years finally got a piece used :D

#37 ·
I took a piece of pc tubing to fit inside the fill hole, heated the tubing to bend upright, Ground a notch in the the botton that fits the cap to make it easay to remove, heated the fill port and expanded it by forcining a large diameter punch down the the fill side to make it easy io pour a quart bottle of oil down.It is somewhat small flat and I store it in a Zip lock bag..

#38 ·
With this extra ordinary procedure of putting oil in the machine: Place machine on side stand. Take a plastic gas anti-icing bottle, cut out one side. Place spout of bottle in oil fill hole, pour in oil. When done, clean with paper towel, stuff clean paper towel into bottle to keep dust out. Replace cap on bottle. Works great.

#40 ·
True as stated above... the "Form-a-funnel" can be purchased at NAPA dealer using part #18609...

Yes, it is more expensive than paper or aluminum foil, etc etc... but it holds shape really well.

After purchase today, I realized I was right... that it is a lead sheet coated with Buna-N (Nitrile Rubber). States it can store from freezing to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and causes cancer in Californians.

BTW.. Cancer sucks!

#41 ·
I use a little blue funnel with a section of garden hose on it and a little piece of wire to clip it to the BMW insignia so it will stay in place. But, I'm a little ******* anyway.............. :D

#42 ·
rattler50 said:
I use a little blue funnel with a section of garden hose on it and a little piece of wire to clip it to the BMW insignia so it will stay in place. But, I'm a little ******* anyway.............. :D
Please post a photo; I'd like to see how this is done.

I think part of the "battle" with the LT oil change is finding a way to solidly mount your funnel/reservoir choice; that, or you have to hold it for all 4 quarts. Not fun, IMO.

#43 ·
Glenn, Howard, sorry it took so long to get these pics to you but it is complicated getting photos on this forum!

First you have to find your camera, then the oil can, then the cable for the camera etc.

Here you go!

I got this when I googled the part number.

Material:Galvanized Steel Fluid Capacity:5 qt Flexible:No

BK7201123
Mfr. Suggested Price: $89.77
Sale Price:

The advantage to this tool is that you can put the entire fill amount of oil in the can and dispense it in one shot. Takes between 60 and 90 secs to transfer the oil. You can open 2 qts at a time to fill the bucket. If you need more than 5 qts,. load 5 the first 5 in the bucket and start dispensing, set it on the air cleaner and pour the oil into it. Very stable. Pretty sure I paid $70 or $75 for mine probably 12-15 years ago.

Loren

Here is the can in it's stowed livery. WaMart, PigglyWiggly bags etc. will all work

Here it is, uncovered and in all it's glory!

A lovely shot of the thumbnail control handle to plug at the bottom via a piece of wire control system

Hose in its' extended and ready to fill an LT position

And finally we have a picture of the original label.

#44 ·
I've got the same measured funnel with the screw on hose and screen. It was very slow :( , until I removed the screen. Now I tie wrap it in place, and though its still slow. So what! I dont have to hold it, so I can do other things while the oil fills. But that long funnel with the garden hose looks sweet, as does the metal can with the flex hose. Lots of great ideas here! :dance:

#45 ·
Interesting thread, but I don't know why some make it seem so complicated.

I have two very simple funnels, that when they are not in use, I keep wrapped up in a plastic grocery bag on top of my simple oil catcher. It too is wrapped in a grocery bag when not in use.

When I first bought the bike I also purchased a few of the special size wrenches ( I always do all three main fluids every 6,000 miles) at a local wholesale tool company. A supply of oils, filters, newspaper to catch the drips and some cat litter, all recommended in, I think the "Halls of Wisdom."

Takes about an hour or so of leisure enjoyment with the bike. I could rush and probably do it a lot quicker, but then it would take longer to clean up the spilled oil.

#47 ·
DanDiver said:
Interesting thread, but I don't know why some make it seem so complicated.

I have two very simple funnels, that when they are not in use, I keep wrapped up in a plastic grocery bag on top of my simple oil catcher. It too is wrapped in a grocery bag when not in use. ...
Simple is good, too. Can you post a photo or part # of the funnels you use, please?

#48 ·
A few quick pictures of oil, newspaper, cat litter and the very inexpensive funnels and parts that I use for the fluids change. I keep everything inside a disposable grocery bag with a little newspaper on the bottom to absorb the drops that don't get inside the bike. The container I drain into has a screen on the top and a pour spout on the side to drain into an empty laundry detergent bottle that I drop off at the local auto oil change shop.

Attachments

#50 ·
Just hold it. It doesn't take more than a minute or so per qt. I then drain all empties in one container and save for topping off.. I generally wash the bike first and it's a good time to give everything on the bottom a good look/see.

A lift would be nice but with a piece of old carpet, laying down to get to the trans drain really isn't a big deal. It's a good time to check bolts for tightness etc.

#51 ·
Old thread, I know, but "Refill Annoyances" pretty much sums it up for today.

Recently bought my first K12LT, 13,000 miles, rode it 1500 miles home from Denver to Tacoma, occurred to me that it might be a good idea to check the oil (ya think?). Because my LT has a sidecar attached, the oil sight glass can't be seen. Option 1--take a picture of the sight glass with my phone or camera. Fail. Can't see it. :( Option 2--try to use a flashlight and a mirror to see it. Fail. Angles are wrong. :( Option 3--disconnect the sidecar so that you can get see the sight glass like a normal person. Fuck no, I'm not gonna do that every time I want to check the oil! :mad: Option 4--buy an Android borescope ($20 on Amazon) for my smartphone and use that to snake the camera down through the tupperware to see the sight glass. Success! :D And (after running up the engine temp, then letting it sit for a few) . . . no oil in the glass. :v:

OK, so now I need to add some oil. Step 1--remove right tipover bar cover so that I can do Step 2. Step 2--using two 19mm wrenches, remove the upper front sidecar strut. Step 3--try to reach through the tupperware and unscrew the oil filler cap. Fail--too tight and wrist/hand angles all wrong. :( Step 4--try to loosen filler cap with pliers. Fail. Angles wrong, can't get a grip. :( Step 5--using some scrap alu tubing, a drill, a hacksaw, and my Dremel, fabricate a DIY cap wrench. Success! :D Cap removed.

Still haven't added any oil though. Luckily, I had a battle with some raccoons in my backyard a couple of weeks ago. I prevailed by spraying them with the garden hose. However, though the raccoons are now gone, they did come back one night and attacked the garden hose. Which meant I had to repair the hose by lopping off 10' or so and putting on a new end piece. What does all this have to do with it? Because I had some scrap hose in the trash. Pulled it out and found a 24" section that was undamaged. This hose was a perfect fit for a plastic funnel I had hanging around. Oil funnel filler tool now obtained. :D

By the way, my garden hose has an OD of 7/8's inch and is a perfect fit for the oil filler opening on the K1200LT. Not sure anybody has posted up what size hose fits that opening.

Step 6--using garden hose funnel tool, add oil. Use borescope to check oil level (took an entire quart!) Step 7--using oil filler cap tool, 19mm wrenches, T25 torx wrench, and #2 Phillips screwdriver, reassemble. :cboy:

Time required -- 3 hours. However, HOWEVER! . . . now that I have my oil cap tool and my funnel hose and my borescope, I should be able to add oil the next time in like only 45 minutes. As a comparison, I can add oil to my R1200GSA in like 3 minutes. But I'm not complaining. Just thought you guys would be amused by my "annoyances." :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.