Rack for BMW OEM top case - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

Rack for BMW OEM top case

I've seen a few people with racks on the top lid of their top case. I might never use it, but I might need it to carry a box once in a while. Or for a long trip.

Does BMW make them? Or who? I just can't find it. Maybe I'm googling wrong.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." That's why we know the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that vaccines are safe and effective, that GMO crops don't cause cancer, that anthropogenic global warming is a thing, and that sasquatch does not exist. But mostly it means that any oil works as well as another one.

On my fourth RT, a 2011 beast with all the cool stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Re: Rack for BMW OEM top case

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastMan
I've seen a few people with racks on the top lid of their top case. I might never use it, but I might need it to carry a box once in a while. Or for a long trip.

Here you go:
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...00300-302.html

2011 BMW R1200RT
2007 V Star 1300 - Sold
2007 V Star 650 - Sold
1978 Suzuki TS 125 - Sold

Hillary For Prison!
post #3 of 58 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 9:08 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastMan

I know that Wunderlich makes one but if I recall correctly I've read that it's tricky to install.

I think I remember someone mentioning a HD rack that worked well.

Hope this helps

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

post #4 of 58 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Harley makes a rack that works great. Go to any Harley dealer and they should be able to hook you up. Here's a photo of mine...

40+ Vintage 125cc Motocross bikes (1973-1974) - my collection
1974 Husky 250 Mag, 1975 Husky 250 GP, 1976 Husky 360 GP
1977 Husky 250 and 390 GP, 1982.5 Husky 500 Silver Streak
1974 Yamaha Ty250 Trials bike, 1971 Honda CB 175
1971 Yamaha 100 Enduro, 1970 Minibike with a "Clinton Engine" (my first bike)

.... a 2011 BMW R1200RT in Thunder Grey Metallic and a 2014 F800GS-Adventure in red.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 58 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Yep HD makes several that will work BUT if you don't want to pay a premium price, ebay has a number of tour pak and top box racks that will work just fine on the BMW case at a much lower price.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...age+rack&rt=nc
post #6 of 58 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 10:09 pm

The generic top case rack that most Harley shops sell are not expensive, and are MUCH easier to install than the Wunderlich. I have a Wunderlich on my bike, but would not have used it if I had known what a PITA it is to install. I cannot recommend anyone use it.

The front mounting screws have to be drilled at an angle, and the paper "template" supplied with the rack is useless for aligning the drill points properly due to variations in the copy machine copies they send. The large stainless washers you see, besides being used to make a better mounting than the supplied plastic washers, are actually hiding the holes that had to be enlarged to make the angled screws match up from inside the case to the top rack.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

Last edited by ka5ysy; Jul 9th, 2013 at 10:17 pm.
post #7 of 58 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 10:30 pm

Check out http://www.bmrproducts.com/

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #8 of 58 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 12:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy
The generic top case rack that most Harley shops sell are not expensive, and are MUCH easier to install than the Wunderlich. I have a Wunderlich on my bike, but would not have used it if I had known what a PITA it is to install. I cannot recommend anyone use it.

The front mounting screws have to be drilled at an angle, and the paper "template" supplied with the rack is useless for aligning the drill points properly due to variations in the copy machine copies they send. The large stainless washers you see, besides being used to make a better mounting than the supplied plastic washers, are actually hiding the holes that had to be enlarged to make the angled screws match up from inside the case to the top rack.
I confirm that fixing Wunderlich rack is a challenge. Unfortunately once I fitted I realized that the thing is pretty heavy, meaning that you should open the top case carefully, supporting the case cover carefully until it comes in rest and rope is locked. My wife several times just opened the cover as usually, causing the rope lot of tention due to inertia the lid have.

So now the rack stays in my garage useless for the time being, but who know, one day I may use it...

2012 R1200RT
2003 Honda Varadero 1000 - sold
1997 Honda Transalp 600 - sold
unknown Honda 125 CM - sold
------------------------------------
post #9 of 58 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 2:03 am

I have to disagree that the wunderlich rack is difficult to install. Simply throw away the paper template that comes with it and set the rack directly on the top case with pieces of tape stuck to the case under each foot. Trace around each foot with a pencil and drill in the center of each tracing. Once you penetrate the outer shell you simply tilt the drill to match the angle of the feet and finish drilling into the inner shell. If you follow this procedure you can drill very small holes the same diameter as the mounting screws and maintain very close accuracy. The whole job took me less than 30 minutes, the fit was perfect and the more compact dimensions of the wunderlich rack look much better than the bigger Harley rack IMHO.

P Smity
2012 R1200RT
'07 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
'07 Moto Guzzi Breva 750

Last edited by P-Smity; Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:33 am.
post #10 of 58 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 2:32 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris
I like this one, because instead of drilling holes in the top case, I can actually put it on the passenger seat. Maybe do both, though expensive.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." That's why we know the earth is 4.5 billion years old, that vaccines are safe and effective, that GMO crops don't cause cancer, that anthropogenic global warming is a thing, and that sasquatch does not exist. But mostly it means that any oil works as well as another one.

post #11 of 58 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 7:26 am

This is the one that I am getting ready to purchase:

http://www.thehouseofharley.com/product-p/53665-87.htm

It is similar to what I had on my LT.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 58 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 7:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Smity
I have to disagree that the wunderlich rack is difficult to install. Simply throw away the paper template that comes with it and set the rack directly on the top case with pieces of tape stuck to the case under each foot. Trace around each foot with a pencil and drill in the center of each tracing. Once you penetrate the outer shell you simply tilt the drill to match the angle of the feet and finish drilling into the inner shell. If you follow this procedure you can drill very small holes the same diameter as the mounting screws and maintain very close accuracy. The whole job took me less than 30 minutes, the fit was perfect and the more compact dimensions of the wunderlich rack look much better than the bigger Harley rack IMHO.
I too have the Wunderlich rack installed and like it. I was probably one of the first on this forum to install this rack. I agree with P-Smity. If you disregard the paper template and just mark the locations where the feet will go you shouldn't have any problems. This is how you would install the other brand racks anyway.

I don't use mine a lot but installed it to stow wet rain gear or light bulky items. I have also used it to secure my helmet too when stopped somewhere. I don't know that you really need it but it looks good to me and is probably a carry over from my HD days!

Regards,

Steve Cass
Sunny Tucson Arizona
BMW MOA 163660

2010 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW F650GS
1987 Harley Davidson FXRT (Sold)
1983 Kawasaki KZ650 (Sold)
1973 Honda 350 Four (Sold)
1972 Suzuki 250 (Sold)
1970 Kawasaki A7 Avenger (Sold)

post #13 of 58 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 8:51 am

My point fellas is there are a NUMBER of less expensive, say $40 versus $110 racks available. If you USE the rack for carrying, it won't matter if you spent $40 or $110 after a few uses, it is going to get scuffed, nicked, scratched, etc...
There are loads of different options, shop around........
post #14 of 58 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 5:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
This is the one that I am getting ready to purchase:

http://www.thehouseofharley.com/product-p/53665-87.htm

It is similar to what I had on my LT.
Not bad. But I just hate chrome. I live close to the ocean, so chrome doesn't do so well. And washing my RT is lower on my priorities than drinking bad beer.

post #15 of 58 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 5:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach
My point fellas is there are a NUMBER of less expensive, say $40 versus $110 racks available. If you USE the rack for carrying, it won't matter if you spent $40 or $110 after a few uses, it is going to get scuffed, nicked, scratched, etc...
There are loads of different options, shop around........
+1

Yeah, I knew posting here would give me a lot of options. I really like the BMR "plate" rack to be honest, and it's expensive.

I'd rather not have a chrome rack, because I hate chrome (never understood it's appeal), I would like to have something that won't rust and basically matches the bike.

post #16 of 58 Old Jul 11th, 2013, 5:46 pm

I've also got the Wunderlich installed on my 49L top case for my R1200RT. I have used it when going on long trips 2 up and it works great. It also looks like it was made for it.

Mike

post #17 of 58 Old Jul 11th, 2013, 6:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkrnrd
I've also got the Wunderlich installed on my 49L top case for my R1200RT. I have used it when going on long trips 2 up and it works great. It also looks like it was made for it.
Any installation issues?

post #18 of 58 Old Jul 31st, 2015, 3:24 pm

Good news! I just received the Wunderlich rack and the forward legs are no longer on an angle. They are no longer sending the template either. Looks like an easy install.

Marc
DesertJohn and reg26 like this.

Marc Parnes
'16 R1200RT

post #19 of 58 Old Jul 31st, 2015, 4:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Smity View Post
. . . The whole job took me less than 30 minutes, the fit was perfect and the more compact dimensions of the wunderlich rack look much better than the bigger Harley rack IMHO.

post #20 of 58 Old Jul 31st, 2015, 10:15 pm

MarcParnes, good to know. Could you post some pic's when you get a chance please?

I didn't like the previous Wonderlich due to the angles and the small contact points....but I did like the silver finish.

My plan was to get a HD tourpak OR the new Kuryakyn adjustable rack this winter and have a local powder coater match the silver on my Illium engine guards.

The Kury' has larger contact points which spread the weight and are a little easier on the top case. Also, Kury' makes a couple of different size and colors of bags that are high quality, priced right, fit perfectly on their racks and will carry two sets of rain gear, gloves and a couple of fleeces perfectly.
post #21 of 58 Old Aug 1st, 2015, 9:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphusky1 View Post
Harley makes a rack that works great. Go to any Harley dealer and they should be able to hook you up. Here's a photo of mine...

I have one of the older black WL racks with the swept forward feet that I've been reluctant to install it on my '14 top case...not because it is hard to install, because it isn't...but because I was looking to find another rack with all four feet that are vertically mounted. I ordered a Kuryakyn 7159 off Amazon but have since cancelled it after seeing the cheaper HD ones on the Ebay link.

But, after seeing this picture of how large it is on the BMW top case, I'm leaning towards just installing the black WL rack I have in storage. It just looks like it's made for the BMW...More elegant & flowing lines that, I think, enhance the look of the top case!

I know, who cares but, I never remove my top case and I don't want to have to look at something like the HD rack that is large and just doesn't look like it was made to fit the elegant lines on the redesigned '14 R1200RT!

The black rack will also match the black engine and rear pannier crash bars I've installed which is another motivating factor for installing my black WL rack.

I also ordered a MotoX black washer kit for installation of my next rack to help spread out the pressure point loads on the top case which should give me a little more piece-of-mind when I have to put a load onto the rack!

Best Regards,
Rangerb3
2014 R1200RT Quarts Met Blue
Biloxi, Mississippi

Last edited by rangerb3; Aug 1st, 2015 at 10:10 am.
post #22 of 58 Old Aug 1st, 2015, 12:03 pm

Garage

I don't know if there's any truth to it, but I heard from a reliable source, that a Harley Davidson rack causes substantial loss of lean angle and horsepower with measurable depreciation once placed on a BMW.

U.S. Marine Corps (Ret)
1982-2006

Last edited by PanhandleChuck; Aug 1st, 2015 at 2:52 pm.
post #23 of 58 Old Aug 1st, 2015, 12:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I went to a local Harley dealer to pick up one of those racks for my GT a few years ago now. Gave him the part # and he grabbed the rack and set it on the counter.

I looked at the rack, looked at him, and said "Does it come in anything other than chrome?"

He looked at me dumbfounded, and just said "What?"

I don't think he got it . . .

I just shook my head and paid, then strapped the rack to the back seat of my 20,000-miles-of-road-grime-covered BMW, as the local HD parking lot crew briefly stopped their incessant polishing to look on with confusion and mild disdain.

I laughed heartily as I pointed the Beemer down the road and powered away . . .

Ken
SoCal
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting . . .
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 59K miles and gone.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 32,690 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles & now rebuilt!
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #24 of 58 Old Aug 1st, 2015, 12:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerb3 View Post
. . . I also ordered a MotoX black washer kit for installation of my next rack to help spread out the pressure point loads on the top case which should give me a little more piece-of-mind when I have to put a load onto the rack!
Strongly agree. I don't remember the brand, but I got a set in black from Rocket Moto.

Luggage Rack Base Washer Kit - Chrome or Black

(no affiliation)
post #25 of 58 Old Aug 2nd, 2015, 2:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leghofn View Post
Strongly agree. I don't remember the brand, but I got a set in black from Rocket Moto.

Luggage Rack Base Washer Kit - Chrome or Black

(no affiliation)
Sorry, That's the same brand I bought...
post #26 of 58 Old Aug 2nd, 2015, 2:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcParnes View Post
Good news! I just received the Wunderlich rack and the forward legs are no longer on an angle. They are no longer sending the template either. Looks like an easy install.

Marc
The top boxes for the '14/15 R1200RT & K1600 GTL are the same basic design. Did you order the one specific to the '14/15 R1200RTWC or the one for the K1600 GTL? I know you know what you are doing but, I just wanted to verify the RT rack has been redesigned. I prefer the old design but with the new vertical feet layout compared to the GTL rack layout...When you get time, Can you please post a picture of your rack?

'14/15 RT rack: Top Case Luggage Rack R1200 RT-LC (2014 - ) | BMW Wunderlich America

K1600 GTL rack: Topcase Rack K1600 GT/GTL | BMW Wunderlich America

That would be great news if the RT rack was re-designed as you say! I would probably order a new rack....
reg26 likes this.

Best Regards,
Rangerb3
Biloxi, Mississippi

Last edited by rangerb3; Aug 2nd, 2015 at 2:48 am.
post #27 of 58 Old Aug 2nd, 2015, 5:22 am

I just looked at Wunderlich site also . You would think if they redesigned the top rack for th3 RT they would have gotten rid of or changed the video. It still talks about drilling at an angle .Hmmm
post #28 of 58 Old Aug 2nd, 2015, 7:55 am

Quote:

Marc
Does that fasten through both the painted shell and the actual lid beneath?

Last edited by jimjim; Aug 2nd, 2015 at 7:56 am.
post #29 of 58 Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 12:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Does that fasten through both the painted shell and the actual lid beneath?
It better...I thought I read another post that talked about the screws going all the way through both lid sections. I'm sure it does.
post #30 of 58 Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 9:25 am

Quote:
The top boxes for the '14/15 R1200RT & K1600 GTL are the same basic design. Did you order the one specific to the '14/15 R1200RTWC or the one for the K1600 GTL? I know you know what you are doing but, I just wanted to verify the RT rack has been redesigned. I prefer the old design but with the new vertical feet layout compared to the GTL rack layout...When you get time, Can you please post a picture of your rack?

'14/15 RT rack: Top Case Luggage Rack R1200 RT-LC (2014 - ) | BMW Wunderlich America
I ordered the one specific to the RT as mentioned above. The 6 mm screws go through both cover layers. I also read some comments regarding the hardware being subpar. The screws I received are of good quality as well as the sealing washers and plastic pads for under the legs. All and all it seems like they addressed past complaints. The silver color is a bit darker than the box but the rack does blend in well so it isn't so obvious like the black one would be. It took about 30 minutes to install and that's mainly due that I'm very anal about getting things centered so I measured and re-measured multiple times. To get it dead nuts find the center of the rack and align that with an imaginery line run from the tip of the backrest to the center of the roundel. Drill and attach one of the rear legs then position the other rear leg measuring from the rear edge of the top to both legs. Once you drill and secure the second rear leg you can trace and drill the front legs. That's it! I did it this way because they didn't weld the legs on in the exact uniform position left to right.

Marc

Marc Parnes
'16 R1200RT

post #31 of 58 Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 1:03 pm

Do the front screws still go in at an angle Marc or are the new ones straight down as mentioned above
post #32 of 58 Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 1:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg26 View Post
Do the front screws still go in at an angle Marc or are the new ones straight down as mentioned above
Pretty much straight down. I didn't have to angle the hole at all.

Marc
reg26 likes this.

Marc Parnes
'16 R1200RT

post #33 of 58 Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 4:06 pm

Quote:
I ordered the one specific to the RT as mentioned above. The 6 mm screws go through both cover layers. I also read some comments regarding the hardware being subpar. The screws I received are of good quality as well as the sealing washers and plastic pads for under the legs. All and all it seems like they addressed past complaints. The silver color is a bit darker than the box but the rack does blend in well so it isn't so obvious like the black one would be. It took about 30 minutes to install and that's mainly due that I'm very anal about getting things centered so I measured and re-measured multiple times. To get it dead nuts find the center of the rack and align that with an imaginery line run from the tip of the backrest to the center of the roundel. Drill and attach one of the rear legs then position the other rear leg measuring from the rear edge of the top to both legs. Once you drill and secure the second rear leg you can trace and drill the front legs. That's it! I did it this way because they didn't weld the legs on in the exact uniform position left to right.

Marc
Do you have any pictures of the installed rack?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill Spurgeon
Phoenix, AZ
2016 R1200GSA
"remember, no matter where you go - there you are"
Buckaroo Bonzi
post #34 of 58 Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 8:01 pm

Here you go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4952.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	86505   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4955.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	86513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4954.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	86521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4953.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	86529  
Bill and atb75 like this.

Marc Parnes
'16 R1200RT

post #35 of 58 Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 8:09 pm

Yup, those front mounts look pretty straight down to me :-)
post #36 of 58 Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Here you go...
It looks like that rack will also fit the 2013 or earlier top case.

Bill Spurgeon
Phoenix, AZ
2016 R1200GSA
"remember, no matter where you go - there you are"
Buckaroo Bonzi
post #37 of 58 Old Aug 4th, 2015, 12:34 am

Quote:
Here you go...
Nice, I wonder...I have a small set of tubing benders...I wonder if I can bend the old feet to make them more vertical? I know I would have to use a grinder to flatten out the angle of the tubing ends so they will lay flat on the box...Before I try that, I will contact WL to see if they will trade the older one for a new one. Most likely they won't but, it doesn't hurt to try!
post #38 of 58 Old Aug 4th, 2015, 2:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Yes, the rack will fit both the older R1200RT & R1200RTWC top boxes.
post #39 of 58 Old Aug 4th, 2015, 8:22 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I had the same question and after searching the Wunderlich site, I see the part numbers are identical when using search criteria for 2005-2013 RTs, or 14/15 RTs.

2015 R1200RT
Minnesooota, USA
post #40 of 58 Old Aug 31st, 2015, 6:56 pm

Thanks Marc for those pics! I've been looking for a rack myself for my new 2015 with the monster top box.

The only issue I have is why don't they simply insert the bars through the top (appears to be) thin painted shell and put the washers and weight on the inner much stronger and (appears to be) thicker plastic shell?

Or is this how the Wunderlich rack works? (I thought it put all the weight on the outer shell).

Thanks
Tim
post #41 of 58 Old Aug 31st, 2015, 9:10 pm

Well, I was able to use my tubing benders to put more bend in the front legs so I was able to drill the hole straight down instead of at an angle! It came out great!!!
post #42 of 58 Old Sep 1st, 2015, 10:34 am

I installed the following on my 49L case and drilled through both outer and inner case. I used 3/8" copper pipe to space the rack above the case and installed large metal and rubber washers on both outside and inside. Painted the spacers and washers black and it works and looks great. I did install it backward from the picture shown.

Givi E81 Metal Luggage Rack - RevZilla
post #43 of 58 Old Sep 1st, 2015, 10:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thezz View Post
I installed the following on my 49L case and drilled through both outer and inner case. I used 3/8" copper pipe to space the rack above the case and installed large metal and rubber washers on both outside and inside. Painted the spacers and washers black and it works and looks great. I did install it backward from the picture shown.

Givi E81 Metal Luggage Rack - RevZilla
Could you please post a picture of it on the bike?
post #44 of 58 Old Sep 3rd, 2015, 5:32 pm

Quote:
Well, I was able to use my tubing benders to put more bend in the front legs so I was able to drill the hole straight down instead of at an angle! It came out great!!!
I finally got some pictures of the topbox rack with the re-bent front feet.

More pictures can be seen at the link below...2014 BMW R1200RT Photo Gallery by Mike Redmon at pbase.com

Because the tube at the end of the front feet was cut on an angle to accommodate the original angled design, I had to grind them flat. Also, bending the legs straight down made them a little longer which slightly elevated the front of the rack but, it's not a big deal! I would've liked to have cut them off shorter but the threaded inserts are made into the metal and would have made threading screws into them next to impossible if they were shorter!

Next Project: I'll work on getting the topbox paint matched when I get home in two weeks from riding the Smokies!

Best Regards,
Rangerb3
Biloxi, Mississippi

Last edited by rangerb3; Sep 3rd, 2015 at 6:09 pm.
post #45 of 58 Old Sep 5th, 2015, 5:43 am

Can anyone tell me if the WL rack interferes with the passengers back when they lean back? it looks like in the pictures that the front of the rack protrudes pretty far forward
post #46 of 58 Old Sep 5th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the WL rack interferes with the passengers back when they lean back? it looks like in the pictures that the front of the rack protrudes pretty far forward
As the new revised instructions state, place the rack where you want, and install. The rack installs nicely without disrupting the passenger space. The suggestion is, lay tape in the areas that support the mounting points, place the rack on top of the case, have the passenger sit in the rear seat, adjust the rack accordingly, mark it and drill. It'll fit fine.
reg26 likes this.

'11 R1200RT
post #47 of 58 Old Sep 6th, 2015, 7:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
As the new revised instructions state, place the rack where you want, and install. The rack installs nicely without disrupting the passenger space. The suggestion is, lay tape in the areas that support the mounting points, place the rack on top of the case, have the passenger sit in the rear seat, adjust the rack accordingly, mark it and drill. It'll fit fine.
+1....No problems with the passenger if it's positioned as mentioned above....
post #48 of 58 Old Sep 7th, 2015, 4:40 pm

Maybe a little of topic here and maybe a dumb question but am I better off to get my top case painted first or install the rack first.
post #49 of 58 Old Sep 7th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Quote:
Maybe a little of topic here and maybe a dumb question but am I better off to get my top case painted first or install the rack first.
Why not ask the body shop that is going to paint the top case, maybe they would be willing to install the rack for you. I have the Wunderlich rack and it has come in handy for carrying sleeping bags and on other occasions a dry bag with our dirty laundry.

Gerhard

post #50 of 58 Old Sep 8th, 2015, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastMan View Post

this is my first post! I have fabricated an aluminum rack for my top case and would consider making a few if anyone has an intrest. It is very light weight, flat on top and could be painted a color of choice. I will figure out how to post a picture if anyone has an intrest.
zippy_gg likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.