BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Some Days

8K views 74 replies 25 participants last post by  RobbW 
#1 ·
A week and a half ago I did my 18K service. Did engine oil, transmission and FD lube, spark plugs just because, adjusted the valves too. Last Friday, I smelled gear lube. I looked at the drain plug and it had some gear lube on it. I took the car to work and stopped by the dealer to get crush washers. Over the weekend I strip the right side down and drain the transmission lube, put in the drain plug and new washer, fill it and install the fill plug with a new washer too (I cleaned the surfaces too. Did that the first time too). I use a torque wrench too. Today I think I smell gear lube again. I look underneath and and the transmission drain is dry. WTF? I look at the oil drain plug and that looks like it's weeping. WTF? Bad crush washers? I've used beemer bone yard before and it's always been good. To add insult to injury, I am riding home today and I see the orange triangle flashing on the dash. The sun is behind me so I couldn't read the display well, but when I could, it said I needed gas. Funny thing is, The trip computer said I had 80 miles to go to need fuel and it was around a quarter of a tank. The miles to go to empty started going down like a count down launch and the level indicator disappeared. I only had 216 miles on the trip 2. Normally I can ride to 275 or so and there's at least a half gallon left...Anyway, seems the fuel strip went south too. As my dad would say, va Napoli! Strunza!

#4 ·
I'm mechanically challenged but I've got to ask - So the fuel strip was the problem all along? What's the connection with smelling gear lube?

Greg

#6 ·
I took care of the oil weepage, checked the transmission fill and drain, both ok, may be it's just some leftover drippage. Whatever is in gear lube, it really stinks. That said, I guess I have to make an appointment to get my fuel strip taken care of. I still have another 6 months of warranty.

#10 ·
Hey Ponch,

Sorry to hear it. Gear lube does have a stink doesn't it?! Hope it works out at the dealer for the fuel strip, but It's good that you're quick enough to use the trip meter as a back up.

Good luck

#12 ·
Firenailer said:
Hey Ponch,

Sorry to hear it. Gear lube does have a stink doesn't it?! Hope it works out at the dealer for the fuel strip, but It's good that you're quick enough to use the trip meter as a back up.

Good luck
I always reset trip 2 as a matter of habit when I fuel up because I like to do my own math for gas mileage and in case the FS goes south.

#14 ·
Ponch said:
I only had 216 miles on the trip 2. !
You are doing it wrong. You are supposed to use Trip 1. :p

#16 ·
Ponch,

I am also sorry to hear about your recent troubles but give you credit for taking it in stride. I suspect you are going to have them look at the FD as well, since the bike is still under warranty and you are scheduling it anyway. Let us know how it all goes.

Scot

#17 ·
Entropyd said:
Speaking of trip meters (and just in case BMW is "listening,") it would be nice if one of the two resettable odometers displayed 4 digits (I take long trips).
Completely agree. A 3 digit trip is only useful except for tank refills.

#18 ·
Liv2Ride said:
Ponch,

I am also sorry to hear about your recent troubles but give you credit for taking it in stride. I suspect you are going to have them look at the FD as well, since the bike is still under warranty and you are scheduling it anyway. Let us know how it all goes.

Scot
You can count on that for sure. I filled up yesterday and nothing changed, so the FS is shot, but we knew that. I am trying to get an appointment as we speak...

#22 ·
lkchris said:
Just add 1000.
I use the trip to monitor miles till next service.
And I also use it to measure the distance traveled on a roadtrip.

Your method doesn't work for either. Pen & paper does work, but that's not the point.

#23 · (Edited)
lkchris said:
Just add 1000.

The problem is that when I'm in the middle of a 10 day 5000 mile trip, I can quickly lose track of whether I'm at 1800 or 2800 miles...but, yes, actually that's what I do. (If it's a really good trip, I not only lose track of mileage but also of what day of the week it is....)

But it does bring up a point (and, I'm not bitchin....I'm fine with my bike the way it is....just picking at details)....but, the point, regarding the now increasingly infamous fuel strip issue is this:

Yes, of course, all of us are capable of using the odometer to estimate fuel levels and the need for fill ups.

You could do the exact same thing on a BMW 7 series car too. Somehow, I think that wouldn't mollify anyone who buys one and discovers the fuel metering system is defective, for whatever reason. So, the question it begs is whether BMW motorcycles are the motorcycle equivalent of the BMW cars (which I like to think they are), or are they the substandard products of the brand? And by substandard, I mean relative to THEIR normal standards and related consumer expectations.

I'm asking these questions rhetorically.... I mean, I know the whole fuel strip discussion got over the top on another forum (maybe here....don't recall) and, the person who brought an unfortunate spill into the discussion created a straw-man distraction from the main issue. But, the fact that you can make due (multiplying by 1000 or estimating fuel consumption as a function of distance / speed, etc.) to me is a separate discussion.

Having said this, I'm not bashing BMW, nor am I trying to heat things up....just thinking out loud.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.