Fuel strip warranty - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 10:39 am

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Fuel strip warranty

So, I'm here at the dealer getting a fuel strip replaced. It's been less than two years since the last replacement during the original vehicle warranty. Tech comes back and tells me that they won't pay for it because it was previously done under the vehicle warranty and I didn't pay for it myself. I brought that warranty book with me that comes with the bike. I showed him where it says part will be covered for two years or if done under vehicle warranty, the longer of the two. Said he'd never seen that before. We'll see how this works out. Wanted others to be prepped when they go in for this.

Follow up....Since I showed them in writing what I had, they did warranty the work. I'd advize anyone getting work done under these circumstances to bring that little warranty book with them.

'09 RT Sold
'11 RT couldn't stay away

Last edited by Xdriver; Sep 26th, 2012 at 1:17 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 26th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Fuel strip warranty

I have a 2008 RT, no problems yet ...anyone know if that year has the often defective fuel strip?
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 6:15 pm

I just had my replaced on m 09, and during the ro write up found out that PO had it done under warranty. I just missed the 2 year window by 3 weeks. Advisor noted the 2 yr warranty and said he was sorry but could not process under BMW warranty. Luckily the ESC will cover it.
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 6:32 pm

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itspossible
I have a 2008 RT, no problems yet ...anyone know if that year has the often defective fuel strip?
The strips were replaced by the float system in the late 2010 models, so you have a strip. I had one in my old 2007 R1200R, and never had a problem. Others in the same year have had all kinds of grief with them. There is no apparent rhyme or reason when a strip fails. The BMW automotive division has not learned either: I have a sensor strip in my 2010 X5 diesel for the urea fluid level that has gone south, and BMW wants over $2000 (dream on !) for a plastic tank with the strip as the strip cannot be replaced by itself , so I am riding around with the check engine light on until it burns out or I trade the X for a new one.

I am really happy I have the float in my RT.
MSF/RidersEdge Instructor #127350
NAUI Instructor #36288
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 7:53 pm

The first one on my '09 RT was replaced at 10500 miles, and this one made it to 23000 miles. I just couldn't believe the service manager had never seen the document I presented stating that the warranty on the fuel strip lasted the longer of two years or the vehicle warranty. So, I asked then under his logic, a fuel strip fixed at 35,500 miles was only warrantied for 500 miles. He said, yep, that's how it works. It worked out, but that would be enough for me to part ways this product.

'09 RT Sold
'11 RT couldn't stay away
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 9:24 pm

The fuel strip is defective on my early 2010 Rt. I wasn't replaced because BMW had apparently recalled the strips. I followed up with the dealer and BMW and learned that BMW is redesigning the strips and when they become available it will be replaced under warranty. I'm not sure if they are just putting me off or what. But it was the open admission that BMW was redesigning the strips that got my attention.
Old Sep 26th, 2012, 11:14 pm

Thanks for the warning. It pays to read the information outlined in the warranty.
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 7:51 am

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I am also waiting for the redesign. Mine went out at 15k miles. Now I just reset the trip odometer (which I always did before) and refuel at approximately every 240 miles.
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

Old Sep 27th, 2012, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy
The strips were replaced by the float system in the late 2010 models, so you have a strip. I had one in my old 2007 R1200R, and never had a problem. Others in the same year have had all kinds of grief with them. There is no apparent rhyme or reason when a strip fails. The BMW automotive division has not learned either: I have a sensor strip in my 2010 X5 diesel for the urea fluid level that has gone south, and BMW wants over $2000 (dream on !) for a plastic tank with the strip as the strip cannot be replaced by itself , so I am riding around with the check engine light on until it burns out or I trade the X for a new one.

I am really happy I have the float in my RT.
Do you know off hand what is considered late 2010? I bought mine in May of 2010, pushing 30k miles and so far no problems. Matter of fact no problems with anything except one headlight bulb. How would I find out if it is float or strip? Thanks in advance.
1980 R100 RT. Old friend of 22 years, all good
1971 BSA B50 SS, One lung funster
1970 BSA 650 Lightning, Alas, lost to a nasty crash
Old Sep 27th, 2012, 10:42 pm

Mine went out the other day,number 3 so far. Think I will just use the trip meter until it gets cold around here....
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 8:12 am

Has anyone heard the latest news for the redesign fuel strip? Mine just did a 180 yesterday. It was reading full all the time and now yesterday, nothing is showing on the fuel gauge and the general yellow warning light came on and the small fuel pump icon is flashing. I assume it is time to give my dealer a call and set up a appointment.

Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 6:55 am

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I read somewhere, don't recall where, that it's the crappy gasoline we have in the USA that caused the problem with the strips, and the new ones were supposed to be more resistent. They apparently do not have that problem in Europe. Never-the-less, I am glad they went back to the float system. I am stuck with an early 2010 strip that went out in under 10K with PO. So far that one has held up. I wonder if all you that report failures are coasties, that is have mandated crap fuel. I noticed on my recent trip across country, that 100% gas is easily available in some of the mid-west and plains states. Are any failures happening there?

Ultra LT
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 8:46 am

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraLT
They apparently do not have that problem in Europe.
Not true.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...&Number=749505

Scroll down to IRPUK's post. He's in Balsall Common, UK [England].

Just one of many if you do a google search.
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:42 am

I have an appointment set for next Thursday (11-8) to replace the fuel strip. My dealer has heard nothing about BMW recalling the fuel strips, so I do not know if I will be receiving the latest strip or not. They did have a couple in stock. I will post the part number of what was installed, but BMW has a habit of using the same part numbers for superseded parts.
On another note, since my fuel pump controller has a lot of corrosion built up on it, I am going to have them change that out too. I will keep the old one as a spare. The person that sold me this bike also gave me a spare antenna (?), that if fails, would stop the bike from starting.

Old Nov 9th, 2012, 9:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdriver
The first one on my '09 RT was replaced at 10500 miles, and this one made it to 23000 miles. I just couldn't believe the service manager had never seen the document I presented stating that the warranty on the fuel strip lasted the longer of two years or the vehicle warranty. So, I asked then under his logic, a fuel strip fixed at 35,500 miles was only warrantied for 500 miles. He said, yep, that's how it works. It worked out, but that would be enough for me to part ways this product.
I am beginning to have faith in BMW again! When I brought my bike in for the fuel strip replacement, I asked the service manager if BMW would do anything (good faith) for the replacement fuel strip. He said that he would see what he can do. He received one reply from BMW corporate earlier on another fuel strip and was still waiting to hear back from them (different person) on mine. By the time my bike was ready he still did not hear back from them but did not charge me as he said that he believes that they will take care of it. This is with my 2008 RT having approximately 15,8xx miles on it and being out of warranty since May 2011.

The technician said that when he tried to program the new fuel strip, he had to do "many" software updates before the system would perform the calibration (or what ever had to be done).

Also as for the warranty on the fuel strip, it is for two years from date of replacement and unlimited miles, regardless if it was performed under warranty or not. He said that Volvo had what Xdriver was saying which did not make sense.

I assume everything depends on what dealer you are using. I also had them change out the fuel pump controller (fpc) since mine had some corrosion on it. I will keep the old one as a spare. Oh, the new fuel strip is still the older style, so I expect this to happen again some day. For information, below are the part numbers:
16 14 7 720 776 - Fuel pump controller - $150.52
16 14 7 675 547 - Fuel Level Sensor - warranty
16 11 7 677 883 - Gasket - warranty