R1200RT purchase advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 3:31 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up R1200RT purchase advice

Gents,

I'm new to Beamers & am seriously considering the purchase of a new (2012 or 2013) R1200RT. I've also considered the K1600 GT. The pricing, fun factor, lightness, & nimbleness are all attractive traits of the 1200. However, a local dealer rep all but talked crap on the 1200 citing the maintenance costs were HIGH, and that 1600 was a far superior bike.

I wondered what your thoughts were on the 1200's reliability, maintenance costs etc? Also, I keep hearing that the 1200 is going to be a water-boxer, which seems like a good progression although many are saying "stay away" from a 2013 water cooled RT.

Addmitingly, im a bit of a fair weather rider and will not likly put a million miles a year on the bike. I come from a moto background and have ridden EVERY style of bike. Even the, dare I say it here (HD) which i may also still consider. A Kawasaki Concours is also still in play. Any input any of you have would be greatly appreciated, and please, do not hold the HD thing against mem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 3:56 am

Re: R1200RT purchase advice

I can't really say which cost more to maintain since I know little about the K1600. But you can always do a lot of the simple maintenance yourself and save a lot of money. The cost of oil and filters is not that bad. Having said that I would think that it is much easier to work on the boxer engine than the new 6 cylinder engine.

IMO the weak part of the BMW bikes is the electronics or more correctly the switch gear and fuel strip have had issues on my 2010 RT. The same is true of BMW cars. My last BMW and my sons BMW have/had those electronic issues. My son kept taking his 335i back to the dealer and it never got fixed on weird warning lights staying on. On my RT the left switch gear has gone out 4 times and the fuel strip one time. But I still love this bike. I have a review in my blog comparing my last two bikes. My brother also has a review stating why he switch from BMW to HD (he just purchased a 1979 R100RT).

Because of my age (66) I go with the RT. If I were younger I might go with the K series instead. I think a young me would be riding a K1200GT.

tsp
My Blog
post #3 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 4:59 am

I think it is very difficult to explain that a complex machine such as the K1600GT would be
cheaper to maintain than the (relative) simple R1200RT

K75RT (1994)--->R1200RT (2009)

post #4 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 9:28 am

I test rode them both and made my own mind up. They're 2 very different motorcycles. For my money and riding style the RT was the bike that felt right.

The boxer motor has been around forever and is pretty bullet proof so I'm not expecting any crazy maintenance costs, and you can do all of the basic stuff yourself easily.

I just felt that the RT had the best of everything, sporty enough to ride hard when I want and also ready for touring when I want to travel. It's a great bike!

Ride Safe,

Bob
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT
post #5 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 9:52 am

Expensive out of warranty items:
ABS unit
Clutch
ESA Shocks
Final Drive

Common problems:
Fuel controller
Fuel Strip
Switch gear on newer models

It all depends on what you are looking for in a bike. A HD is a different ride. If you are going to go that route, consider a Kawasaki Vulcan 1700, as in Voyager or Vaquero etc. I know one chap that has 160K miles on his 2009 and it's going strong. All you have to do is change the oil for the most part, with occasional (every few years) belt (at least 50K miles), antifreeze and brake fluid changes. No valves to adjust, throttles to sync or magical and expensive procedures.

The C14 is an interesting proposition. If it had ergonomics at least as sane as the RT (meaning less sporty), I would have bought it. That said, the RT is a good bike. It's like dating a talented german gymnast that likes diamonds and gold.

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #6 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 10:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like your dealer rep has a few to many 1600's for sale. His suggestion that maintenance on a 1600 will be less than a 1200 is simply irresponsible. The complexity of the 1600 is staggering when compared to the RT.

In my opinion, both bikes are brilliant but each has its own appeal. As the majority of my riding is now one up, I prefer the RT. If I return to more two up riding in the future the 1600 will certainly be a consideration.

As others will suggest, ride each and then decide, either way I think you will enjoy the experience.

Oh, and perhaps find a competent dealer rep to assist your buying process.
post #7 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 11:59 am

For someone who has ridden a lot of stuff you don't seem to have much of an expressed opinion about what traits you want in road bike- makes providing solid info for you more difficult. Anyone who mentions an HD, a 6 cyl BMW and Kwak 14 in the same note hasn't made much progress in eliminating what isn't a good match for them...

But a few comments on the 2 BMWs

The RT is lighter, amply powerful for any normal riding, a well proven mount for long distance use. The power band is narrower by bunch than the 6 cyl as one would expect. It is easily serviced by an owner who is passably competent. Current versions have eliminated the fuel strip failures (use a more normal gauge system now), have somewhat better final drives than earlier years and have fixed some other design goofs in earlier models (eg non-reinforced fuel pump flange fitting that cracked). But they've also acquired some new ones- there seems to be fairly high failure rate on the new BMW switch design, for example. If you like the RT motor, I'd suggest you also test ride one or both of the R1200 GS models- the handling is different on pavment, much better on gravel, etc and some riders prefer the GS - though its weather protection isn't in the same league as the RT.
The 6 cyl is a complex machine most folks will take to dealer for service- no surprise a salesman might prefer to sell it- more profit and a pretty much guaranteed service revenue stream for the dealership. There have been assorted complaints about the lack of parts is the US inventory leading to long delays and BMW customer service is of no assistance in expediting anything- its dealer resource dependent. Some BMW riders including me pan the design for sloppy appearance compared to other models but that just an opinion. Very little aftermarket support for anything on this bike, yet, including diagnostic tools. And every pillion rider in our club that has demoed it has panned pillion accomodations- its not a great 2 up bike compared to a GoldWing, K1200LT, etc. For that reason alone no one in our local BMW club has purchased one- they prefer their K1200LTs for 2 up by far....The 6 has good handling for its size and the motor is as slick as it gets though and if you like electronic gadgets its got plenty- I tend to count them as negatives because eventually they'll need expensive repairs..

If you're a sunny weather rider I'd guess you don't put enough miles on a bike for that to matter much but FWIW, the RT dry clutch, though a pita to replace for a home mechanic, is as robust as any car design- good for 100K or more if you don't abuse it.. And most FDs will go that far or more unless you're one of the few per cent who has an early failure. 50K miles is generally considered moderate low mileage on a boxer bike and every BMW rally has bikes with 200K, sometimes with 300K and once in a while even more than that...

Test rides should provide your answer. And that's no problem at most BMW dealerships, unlike most J brand shops that don't have demo bikes.

One point to keep in mind is that Germans use their customers as beta testers for new stuff. They do inadequate testing re durability in hot sunny climates for parts susceptible to such damage and rush new stuff to production fast enough to miss minor design goofs. Couple that with a lot of outsourcing based on price and it creates issues for owners BUT the warranties are decent and good dealerships are very effective at warranty service no matter where you bought the bike. I think the 4th or 5th year of model production is the right time to buy any completely new German design- it takes them that long to get it to it reliability peak. The traditional German indsutry skill is motors and metals - related work; he traditional weaknesses are in basic material sciences/choices (eg adhesives, plastics,etc) and electrical/electronic parts (compared to J, Korean or American stuff).

Whether the 6 will become any kind of a permanent fixture in the BMW lineup only time will tell. The boxer has survived many design generations and is about to see its first water-cooled version next year- because it has a loyal following despite all the other models BMW has made- sort of like the air cooled Harley motor. FWIW, I won't be replacing my 08 RT with a new waterboxer, 6 cyl or anything else any time soon- its finally fully farkled to perfection and meets all my requirements in a touring ride- BUT I would like a backup or something different periodically so might add one. I also ride a well farkled K1200RS (chipped, Ohlins, etc) for play time so maybe it should be a GS type- I get time on a friends R1100S so don't need another one of that type...

Last edited by racer7; Aug 24th, 2012 at 12:14 pm.
post #8 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 12:10 pm

IIRC the Kawi doesn't offer cruise control which is a must for me + the RT has a more comfortable seating position.

The RT is considerably lighter than the K1600 GT and I don't need the extra maintenance or any more HP than what the RT has.

BTW, the new RTs no longer have those troublesome fuel strips that plagued earlier models (I think the change was made in 2011?).

2012 R1200 RT Blue
I wasn't ready to say goodbye:
post #9 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norms_427
IIRC the Kawi doesn't offer cruise control which is a must for me + the RT has a more comfortable seating position.

The RT is considerably lighter than the K1600 GT and I don't need the extra maintenance or any more HP than what the RT has.

BTW, the new RTs no longer have those troublesome fuel strips that plagued earlier models (I think the change was made in 2011?).
I think there are aftermarket cruise controls for the C14.

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #10 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 12:56 pm

I had a 1200LT and sold it anticipating purchasing a K1600. When I finally test rode the 1600 I discovered that compared to the 1200LT there were several deficiencies. The 1600's seat is too low for me (I have a 32 inch inseam), the tuperware was flimsy and seemed cheaply made, the top box or trunk was not as well made or convenient as the LT's, and the electronics were more "gee whiz" than necessary. Maintenance costs were surely going to be higher than an RT, just because there are four more cylinders to contend with. If I had it to do over, I'd have kept the LT, even though it is top-heavy and prone to being dropped at awkward moments.

After thinking about it I bought a 2012 RT. I'd had an '05 RT and loved it. The new dual cam engine in the RT is a major step up from the older single cam engine, and I like the Blue Tooth radio setup. Admittedly I made several changes in the RT based on prior experience; bar backs, lowered foot pegs, Motolights, ZTech windshield, and a Garmin GPS with Wunderlich mount.

Bottom line; you must absolutely test ride anything you are thinking of buying. Buy what fits you, both ergonomically and financially.
post #11 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch
I think there are aftermarket cruise controls for the C14.
Sure, you can put a throttle locker on any bike.

2011 R1200RT
post #12 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 1:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornholio
Sure, you can put a throttle locker on any bike.
http://murpskits.com/catalog/docs/fhc14cc-install.htm

http://www.mccruise.com/collections/...ki/products/27

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #13 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 1:55 pm

I was kidding....sort of. I wouldn't pay that much money for an aftermarket kit. I'd just use a throttle locker.

2011 R1200RT
post #14 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kornholio
I was kidding....sort of. I wouldn't pay that much money for an aftermarket kit. I'd just use a throttle locker.
I bet they add the feature at some point. Even the cruisers have cruise control.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #15 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 3:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Not to hijack this thread but I made the switch yesterday from an 05LT to a 2012 RT. I must say that this is the most fun anybody can have on a bike; losing that 200+ lbs. was a real treat. Not that I didn't like my LT but I was ready to give the boxer a try. Most of my riding was solo (99%) of the time, since my wife rides her own bike.

I've only owned two BMW bikes the LT and now the RT. Let's hope the RT lives up to its reputation.

The RT has more than ample power and handles very well. Looking forward to giving the bike a workout in the Arkansas Ozarks next week. Here's a photo I placed in photobucket. Hope it works first time using photobucket.

http://s1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj546/ride2ski/

Dennis Franks
Illinois

2012 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT traded-in
BMW-MOA 156125

post #16 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 3:29 pm

Remember you're asking this question on the RT forum so we're all mostly prone to tell you RT vs K1600. you may get a different opinion from the K guys.
post #17 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 3:55 pm

Quote:
I bet they add the feature at some point. Even the cruisers have cruise control.
You would think they would. I mean they wouldn't have to quite literally carbon copy the RT to do it....like Triumph did.

2011 R1200RT
post #18 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrhsr
Remember you're asking this question on the RT forum so we're all mostly prone to tell you RT vs K1600. you may get a different opinion from the K guys.
We could really screw it up by throwing the Triumph Trophy in...

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #19 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Quote:
You read my mind!

2011 R1200RT
post #20 of 59 Old Aug 24th, 2012, 9:44 pm

Another data point is to look at what BMW is trying to move more of because its not selling well enough for their tastes. The 1600 has a buyer incentive on it right now and I'll bet there's also a ft dealer incentive which is providing part of the motivation to push it.

Its an interesting and novel design but so far experienced BMW riders voting with their wallets aren't all screaming to get one- there is what I'd describe as limited acceptance but its still pretty early in the model cycle to try to predict how well it will really establish itself in the line, if at all. Though it handles "light" for its mass, it is direct conflict with what many like about BMW R bikes- the light weight for size. And BMW riders are mostly an older demographic as one would expect from the cost of the bikes and the lack of typical cruisers and crotch rockts in the line until the S1000RR showed up. The latter is at present BMW's best selling model and attracting a lot of new younger riders to BMW dealerships so maybe some of them will jump to the 1600 when they want a touring BMW but not so far...
post #21 of 59 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 12:51 am Thread Starter

Ponch & All,

Thank you all for your input. I especially like the comparison of the RT to a hot spoiled German gymnast, very funny.

I've ridden the Connie & LOVED it. Ill ride both beamers and see what happens. Although, given that I'm still young (33), at least according to the BMW population, I'm leaning towards the Connie. Thanks for all the info, greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Expensive out of warranty items:
ABS unit
Clutch
ESA Shocks
Final Drive

Common problems:
Fuel controller
Fuel Strip
Switch gear on newer models

It all depends on what you are looking for in a bike. A HD is a different ride. If you are going to go that route, consider a Kawasaki Vulcan 1700, as in Voyager or Vaquero etc. I know one chap that has 160K miles on his 2009 and it's going strong. All you have to do is change the oil for the most part, with occasional (every few years) belt (at least 50K miles), antifreeze and brake fluid changes. No valves to adjust, throttles to sync or magical and expensive procedures.

The C14 is an interesting proposition. If it had ergonomics at least as sane as the RT (meaning less sporty), I would have bought it. That said, the RT is a good bike. It's like dating a talented german gymnast that likes diamonds and gold.
post #22 of 59 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 2:41 am

I would have liked the K a lot more if it were a boxer design... either 2 or 4 or 6 cylinders. Now that would have been a new design yet interesting to us boxer fans, Btw, I know it would be a lot like the Honda GW. It would be the high end boxer AKA BMW bike with Porsche engine.

Adding to the boil... Honda ST1300 (although hardly changed since 2003). Has an awesome V4 engine, 7.7 gal tank, and well rounded. All the newer bikes have improved (C14, FJR, etc) but only the ST1300 has that awesome engine.

tsp
My Blog
post #23 of 59 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 11:54 am

Quote:
If I were the OP, brich, I would definitely wait for the Triumph Trophy (january they say) and give it a look.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #24 of 59 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 12:29 pm

I sold my 2008 Concourse which is a great bike. I bought a new 2012 RT. As great as the Concourse is it is much heavier. After long days doing back roads you get tired. The RT is the most nimble bike I've ever road. The Concourse is bad on front tires which makes the handling at low spreads even tougher. It has an amazing motor and it's like riding a rocket ship! Living in Texas riding the Concourse in the summer was tough. I wanted a lighter more nimble and less heat. The Concourse is a great bike and I have a 2nd one that I keep in Northern California. The heat is not an issue there but when I've done the rides across the Sierras through the twisty roads I wish I had the RT with me.
post #25 of 59 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 1:22 pm

The RT seems to be attractive to bears, that may be consideration depending how much you like bears.

Gerhard
post #26 of 59 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 1:44 pm

Hi!
I am considering selling my 06 LT and finding a used RT. Is there a big difference between the 07 model and a newer 09 or 10 model? Is there any year to stay away from? I do like the Kaw Concours but there seems to be better reviews on the RT as far as weight, comfort, etc. As I just had knee surgery I am looking for a lighter ride.
Havn't been back on the Lt for almost 4 months but hope to be riding soon.
Any input would be appreciated.
Jim

1953 Ariel 350
1970 Norton Commando
1975 Honda Excel 250
1977 Kawasaki Z1000 LT
1985 Honda V65 Magna
1989 Yamaha Venture Royalle
2006 BMW K1200 LT
post #27 of 59 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 9:45 pm

Ponch, actually Kawi has ZERO intentions of changing anything on the C14, particularly adding cruise thru 2014 (I already taked to corporate ). There might be some changes after they see what BMW releases with regards to the RT, but nothing set or planned.

Buy a GS 911 and do ALL your own maintenance is my advice.

The K1600 has an 18k valve check instead of every 6k, so the dealer was correct if you plan to take your RT in every valve check, it is more expensive. However it is so easy to do yourself it makes no sense to pay a dealer $325 to do a 30 minute job.
post #28 of 59 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 10:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach
Ponch, actually Kawi has ZERO intentions of changing anything on the C14, particularly adding cruise thru 2014 (I already taked to corporate ). There might be some changes after they see what BMW releases with regards to the RT, but nothing set or planned.

Buy a GS 911 and do ALL your own maintenance is my advice.

The K1600 has an 18k valve check instead of every 6k, so the dealer was correct if you plan to take your RT in every valve check, it is more expensive. However it is so easy to do yourself it makes no sense to pay a dealer $325 to do a 30 minute job.
I don't consider the RT the C14's competition. The K1300 was and then they discontinued it...SO the K1600GT sort of is, if you ignore the price. Even the RT is a lot more money.

I would think that at some point they'd put the 1450 in the C14 and Cruise control, but then again, Kawasaki is resistant to change sometimes.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #29 of 59 Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:32 am

I would be surprised if the K 1600 were as fun in the twisties as the RT. The RT has a shorter wheelbase and is lighter. Physics has to rule somehow. Probably awesome on the highway though.

I have sniffed around the 1600 a bit..........though not to the point of riding. Kind of cool how they fitted that big transverse 6 into the bike without it seeming huge. I commented to a dealer (not the one you are talking to) about the "6" on the side of the engine being a bit of a cheesy overstatement, and that the 6 exhaust pipes ought to be enough in the traditional understated BMW style. He pointed out that only two of the pipes are actually functional. The other 4 are just style......not connected to anything. The 6 cylinder just runs into the central two pipes. Ruined the 1600 for me.

What is the world coming to? Style is fine, but 4 fake pipes!? Some designer ought to be shot.
post #30 of 59 Old Aug 26th, 2012, 7:05 am

If you go the route of the RT consider a slightly used one. There are plenty out there and you will save a lot of dough and if you decide to trade up later you will not regret the purchase.

I ride a 2011 rt which is loaded and had 3200 miles on it when I bought it in May, I now have 8000 miles and have loved every one.

My riding buddy has the 1600lt, loves it. Came off a Concourse which he also loved, but said the engine heat issue made it uncomfortable in summer.
post #31 of 59 Old Aug 26th, 2012, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhSeattle
What is the world coming to? Style is fine, but 4 fake pipes!? Some designer ought to be shot.
Automobile manufacturers have been doing it for years. Very few cars have true dual exhaust. It's all about perception. Same with using the same platform between different brands like GM and Ford do. The town car was an expensive crown vic. It's about perception.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #32 of 59 Old Aug 26th, 2012, 9:09 am

Ponch, well you may not consider the RT the C14's rival but thats exactly the way Kawasaki see's it. Here is the deal; In the past 5-10 years a trend has been developing in the motorcycle industry. Riders aged 48-58 aren't buying tours, baggers, etc... and have instead opt'd to trade their heavy baggers and tours for Sports Tours. That places the Kawi C14, Yamaha FJR, Honda ST, Suzi V-Strom, BMW RT and yes even the new 1600GT in direct competition with each other. They are finding the heavier ST's are not doing as well as the others, heck even Suzi brought back the bigger V-Strom to tap this market.
Now really it boils down to what bike is gonna give you the most bang for your buck, and provides the most options. Not only is the RT liter than "most" of the competition including the 1600GT, but the boxer motor has a proven track record. At $17900 something for the RT, and $15900 for the Kawi, they are real close before you start adding factory options. This is the KEY, the C14 doesn't have available options.
I purchased my RT, my first Beemer, after comparing to most of the others and it really came down to factory installed options available. I actually preferred the ergo's of the C14 in stock form, but Kawi went cheap on way too many things. The K1600 got tossed simply due to the weight, and frankly was a lot more $$ without a lot more of anything the RT wouldn't do. The Honda was too small from the start, V-strom didn't even make the radar and the FJR didn't have the options I need for long distance riding.
There you have it, C14 or RT is really a matter of options, BUT the RT will also take you a LOT further on a tank of gas....51-52mpg verses the Kawi's 38-44mpg.....
post #33 of 59 Old Aug 26th, 2012, 9:18 am

Quote:
Ponch, well you may not consider the RT the C14's rival but thats exactly the way Kawasaki see's it. Here is the deal; In the past 5-10 years a trend has been developing in the motorcycle industry. Riders aged 48-58 aren't buying tours, baggers, etc... and have instead opt'd to trade their heavy baggers and tours for Sports Tours. That places the Kawi C14, Yamaha FJR, Honda ST, Suzi V-Strom, BMW RT and yes even the new 1600GT in direct competition with each other. They are finding the heavier ST's are not doing as well as the others, heck even Suzi brought back the bigger V-Strom to tap this market.
Now really it boils down to what bike is gonna give you the most bang for your buck, and provides the most options. Not only is the RT liter than "most" of the competition including the 1600GT, but the boxer motor has a proven track record. At $17900 something for the RT, and $15900 for the Kawi, they are real close before you start adding factory options. This is the KEY, the C14 doesn't have available options.
I purchased my RT, my first Beemer, after comparing to most of the others and it really came down to factory installed options available. I actually preferred the ergo's of the C14 in stock form, but Kawi went cheap on way too many things. The K1600 got tossed simply due to the weight, and frankly was a lot more $$ without a lot more of anything the RT wouldn't do. The Honda was too small from the start, V-strom didn't even make the radar and the FJR didn't have the options I need for long distance riding.
There you have it, C14 or RT is really a matter of options, BUT the RT will also take you a LOT further on a tank of gas....51-52mpg verses the Kawi's 38-44mpg.....

I have only broke 50mpg once and that was at high altitude with ethanol free fuel. Most of the time I get around 43. The thing to consider is that a C14 can be had for a lot less than 15900. Kawasaki dealers tend to deal more, especially if the bike is a year old. BMW, not so much on new bikes. I would also say you'd be hard pressed to find a new year RT for 17,900. Most I see are 20K+. If you can find a leftover, there will be some play. Also, Suzuki's ST is the GSX1250FA, not the Vstrom.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #34 of 59 Old Aug 26th, 2012, 9:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard
The RT seems to be attractive to bears, that may be consideration depending how much you like bears.

Gerhard
+1

I had to stop my RT in northern Pennsylvania last week to let a bear and her 3 cubs to cross the highway.

Joel

2011 R1200RT
2010 HD Street Glide (Sold)
2007 HD Road King (Sold)
2005 Yamaha V-Star (Sold)
1996 Honda CBR600 (Sold)
1981 Kawasaki 750LTD (Sold)
post #35 of 59 Old Aug 26th, 2012, 10:18 am

Ponch, man your RT gets lousy mpg. I'm routinely at 50 mpg 2up and/or packed, never below 48 and the last I saw mpg as low as yours on my RT I was towing a trailer in a strong wind. Wonder why your's is so low?
You are correct the C14 can be price negotiated and most BMW dealers don't "stock" a bone stock RT, but then again who really wants a bone stock RT?
You are also correct about what Suzi offers up as an ST, which really isn't a ST at all. Sorta like the VStrom DL1000 falling between categories. Neither are true ST's.

There is NO doubt riders are spoiled for choice these days, but it really comes back to the question of which bike offers up the bells and whistles you want, at a competitive price. Had the C14 had electronic cruise, something Kawi offers on MANY of their bikes, I'd have been looking a little closer. However a bike without factory cruise is not a tour bike. Unfortunately manufacturers want to throw a set of saddlebags on a bike and add the tour classification.
post #36 of 59 Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Ponch, man your RT gets lousy mpg. I'm routinely at 50 mpg 2up and/or packed, never below 48 and the last I saw mpg as low as yours on my RT I was towing a trailer in a strong wind. Wonder why your's is so low?
You are correct the C14 can be price negotiated and most BMW dealers don't "stock" a bone stock RT, but then again who really wants a bone stock RT?
You are also correct about what Suzi offers up as an ST, which really isn't a ST at all. Sorta like the VStrom DL1000 falling between categories. Neither are true ST's.

There is NO doubt riders are spoiled for choice these days, but it really comes back to the question of which bike offers up the bells and whistles you want, at a competitive price. Had the C14 had electronic cruise, something Kawi offers on MANY of their bikes, I'd have been looking a little closer. However a bike without factory cruise is not a tour bike. Unfortunately manufacturers want to throw a set of saddlebags on a bike and add the tour classification.
I am 6'5, 300+, have a CalSci XL windscreen and often ride with the 49L top case, so I will never get the mileage others get. I've gotten as low as 33mpg going across and Kansas into OK and TX. Lots of headwinds. 43 is about normal for me.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #37 of 59 Old Aug 26th, 2012, 12:49 pm

I agree with you, Ponch. I looked around after seeing $17.9 on the BMW website as the RT's MSRP. All I found was $20K or $21K- no radio/ radio. That's a HUGE difference from what you can buy a C14 for.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #38 of 59 Old Aug 26th, 2012, 2:18 pm

The maintenance costs, obtrusive engine heat and the ergonomics steered me away from the C14. Nevermind the lack of options I wanted in a ST machine that it simply does not have. I agree also that the K16 doesn't offer enough more to justify the extra cost over the RT in my opinion.

And for what it's worth, the BMW dealers will deal, you just have to do it at the right time of year. When the new models come out in the fall, the dealers are eager to offload their last year models still left on the floor. Typically there's at least a few at each dealer. I went in October of last year for a 2011 RT and got a $3000 discount on my bike. Still more expensive than what I would've paid for a C14 at the same time, but as always, you get what you pay for.

2011 R1200RT
post #39 of 59 Old Aug 26th, 2012, 2:31 pm

I've never ridden a C14, but judging from sitting on one and researching the ergonomics, it was too sporty of a riding position for me. Before buying the RT, I've owned nothing but team green, but I always wanted a BMW. If you belong to the BMWMOA, you'll find out why in a few months as I wrote a my first bike article. Anyway, I bought my 2009 new in November of 2010 and got a discount plus the top case, but if I was going to do it again, I'd get the GSA.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #40 of 59 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 5:58 pm

Ponch, I actually rode the C14 before buying the RT and it is very nice. I actually found Ergo's to be a bit better than the stock RT for myself at 6' and 34" inseam. It was not as sports oriented in ergo's as one would think. I think its one of those bikes you need to ride to really judge for yourself. It was just little things that Kawi went cheap on (like plastic luggage rack) and the lack of touring amenities that pushed me towards the RT.
Understand on the mpg, pushing that much windshield is gonna push the mpg down some. Hit some serious wind returning from AK and mpg dropped like a rock.

George_S, dealers tend to order in bikes with equipment most folks want, so yes Ponch is correct you probably aren't gonna walk into a dealer and find a stock RT, you'd definitely need to order a stock bike to get it for MSRP. My point of course is the bikes in stock form are really 2k apart on msrp. I have several friends with C14's and they love them, but they do eat tires faster than the RT. Probably more wrist twisting is the culprit
post #41 of 59 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 6:26 pm

The seat to peg distance is less than the RT and the forward lean is more, at least for me. If you put risers and peg lowering kit on the C14, it makes the ergo dimensions about the same as a stock RT, which is still not perfect for me. On trips my right knee gets sore and I have to dangle my leg to relieve the pain. What I need is peg lowering kit and I'd like another inch higher bars. Basically the ergos of a GSA.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #42 of 59 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 6:32 pm

I'm 5'10" with a 32" inseam...here's how the two bikes measure up for me...

See why I went with the RT? It may not seem like much but I could definitely feel it on the C14. And by using the higher seat position on my RT, it's actually more comfortable for my legs.

2011 R1200RT
post #43 of 59 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 6:42 pm

Here is mine

I can tell you that my butt is further back on the RT than in the pic, so the lean is more. When I sit straight up, my arms aren't bent.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #44 of 59 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 6:44 pm

No hotlinking, Ponch.

2011 R1200RT
post #45 of 59 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 6:46 pm

?

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #46 of 59 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 6:50 pm

This one is better for the knees, but I would still put risers on it and probably a different windscreen or not.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #47 of 59 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 6:56 pm

I rode the C14 and the thing I liked least was how you can actually feel the motor lugging around all that weight. It's such a massive beast.

You may not notice it during a normal ride, but when the s*** hits the fan, you'll notice it big time. Doesn't matter if you are about to drop it in the garage, a car pulls out in front of you or you overcook a tight, unfamiliar corner. Lighter is righter baby!
post #48 of 59 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 10:03 pm

I was fortunate enough this past June to sell my 06 K1200 GT and purchase a new 2012 R1200 RT. I have also ridden a new K 1600 GTL. All very sweet. K1200 GT is just sick with its power. Could be trouble out here in the wide opens of western Colorado. I didn't really need the power from 135 mph to the governor on the K 1200 GT at 160 mph. Yes I went and found the top speed. The RT is like a driving a Porsche compared to the K 1600 as a Mercedes 500 SEL. Know what I mean? Shorter, more nimble, lighter and just fast enough. Really smooth and easy at slow speeds as well.
Love my RT. Had a 04 1150 RT and always missed it. My bike is not the $17000 model. It has all the #@$#. Over 5500 miles in two months. Price, ease of service and parts. The RT is the answer, if you can afford it.

2012 R 1200 RT
post #49 of 59 Old Aug 27th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW
I rode the C14 and the thing I liked least was how you can actually feel the motor lugging around all that weight. It's such a massive beast.

You may not notice it during a normal ride, but when the s*** hits the fan, you'll notice it big time. Doesn't matter if you are about to drop it in the garage, a car pulls out in front of you or you overcook a tight, unfamiliar corner. Lighter is righter baby!
My last bike was over 800lbs, so the C14 or the RT is way lighter.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #50 of 59 Old Aug 28th, 2012, 10:37 am

Quote:
?
I'm saying you can't just copy the picture from their site. They don't allow that. I save mine to my desktop and then add them to my Photobucket account. That's why you can see the ones I posted. Yours show up blank with a warning for no hot-linking.

See?

2011 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.