R1200rt. Center stand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 7:30 pm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
R1200rt. Center stand

Are there any tips or techniques that anyone has for lifting a 2011 r1200rt onto it's center stand.am pushing 70 and hoping there is an easier solution than brute force. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 1st, 2011, 8:21 pm

Re: R1200rt. Center stand

Never use brute force - let momentum and leverage do the work. Right foot steps down on the center stand's end peg. Left hand on the left grip and right hand on the passenger side rail or frame. As you step down, lift and pull the bike up and back with your arms. You may have to rock it a few times and up she'll go. Make sure you're putting as much body weight as you can onto your right foot. Important safety note! If it's in gear make sure you have the clutch pulled in. Yup! Been there and done that. If you're unsure as to what might happen, it doesn't hurt to have a spotter on the other side. Practice it until it feels natural.

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 8:50 pm

Your starting point is where the center stand contacts the ground and the bike is vertical, then push the center stand thru the floor (trust me) while pulling the bike backward in a smooth motion. It'll go right up.
While learning a slight incline with the front higher than the rear will make it a little easier.

A spotter on the right side is a good idea to prevent embarrassment.
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 11:36 pm

Both these tips are excellent. For me the key is focus on PUSHING DOWN on the centerstand with the right foot while simultaneously PULLING UP on the seat handle with the right hand. It's like spreading a large pair of scissors.

Also don't be tentative and make a halfhearted effort out of fear. Commit to the movement and it will work. Use a spotter until you get confident.

And make sure that your kickstand is down just in case...
2001 H-D FXDX
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 12:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozonewanderer
Both these tips are excellent. For me the key is focus on PUSHING DOWN on the centerstand with the right foot while simultaneously PULLING UP on the seat handle with the right hand. It's like spreading a large pair of scissors.

Also don't be tentative and make a halfhearted effort out of fear. Commit to the movement and it will work. Use a spotter until you get confident.

And make sure that your kickstand is down just in case...
Being a new motorcycle owner after 34 years and an heavier one at that, I was struggling the first few days trying to get the motorcycle on it's centre stand (I am 5'11" and weight over 240) and I was really having a hard time with it until I did exactly what Ozonewanderer describes above and voila, no more trouble.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 6:24 am

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Another thing I find is to make sure I still have my boots on, good firm soles of the boots are much better than doing it with a pair of sneakers or other soft soled footware. Sometimes I forget to put it on center stand in the garage, go in the house and change out of my boots, into something more comfortable, then try to put it onto center stand, it is more difficult as the center stand gets pushed into the soft sole and into your foot. I also usually leave my side stand stand down, just in case, also leave it down when taking bike off center stand.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 7:06 am

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My very best suggestion is to find someone local to you - or whomever you bought the bike from - and have them show you the technique. Trying to explain it often results in someone trying to get a bike up on the stand without help to steady the bike and dropping the bike.

It's honestly not that hard, but it does have a pitfal or two though. You have to have a decent handhold in the right place, both left and right pads have to be reasonably even and on solid ground/pavement, make sure the front wheel is in line with the rear, make sure you have solid soles on your boots/shoes, the less weight you have in the bags or on the rear of the bike, the easier it is, etc.

I'm 65 not that strong and have no problems with it. However, I've been doing it for a very long time. It's not at all a question of muscling it up.

Get some help locally. You'll be glad you did.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 7:33 am

I am pushing 64, so I am not far behind you. The suggestion that you do this in hard sole footgear is not to be taken lightly. I ALMOST dropped my RT trying to put it on the center stand while wearing soft rubber soled leather sandals.

When I stepped down, the stand actually penetrated the sole of my right sandal and got caught there... so I had one foot off the ground stuck to the bike and I couldn't get my sandal off of the stand... fortunately, I had the side stand down so I could lower the bike to it. Once the bike was safely on the side stand I was able to unbuckle sandal and take my foot out of danger... then carefully remove the sandal from the center stand.

I still have a bruise on the sole of my foot from fighting with the center stand and trying to balance the bike at the same time and it happened 3 weeks ago. 675 lbs doesn't sound like a really heavy bike unless you are trying to balance it using only one foot and the left grip.

BE CAREFUL... use a spotter/helper when you can who can also help you lift.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 8:16 am

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

This is how I learned it.
Do the "manouevres" as already explained, starting with your left foot placed in front of the right one while you body is positioned "lenghtwise"
alongside the bike, not facing it. Then, while you push your right foot down and move the bike backwards, also make a step backwards with
your left foot (and whole body). If you concentrate on stepping backwards, the bike will simply come along with you.
You don't need to pull the bike very hard, just keep your arms in the same position in respect to your torso as they were when you first grabbed the handle(s).
Don't be afraid to lift your left foot while pushing down the center stand with the right one, the bike won't fall while both feet of the center stand
are on the ground. Also, I wouldn't pull to hard on the passenger grip handle.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 2:46 pm

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The first thing to remember is the stand must contact the floor evenly on both sides before you try to get it up in the stand.

It is very obvious when you have the stand contacting the floor on both sides properly.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 3:16 pm

+1 on much of the above -- the only thing I would add is:

Don't even bother trying to pull the bike backwards as you pull up/push down -- you'll be taking "up" force away from the veritical motion you need.

The bike will *automatically* move to the rear *by itself*, due to the geometry of the stand -- the vertically-focussed pushing down/pulling up movement necessarily moves the bike rearward as it rises/pivots about the centerstand, and once the bike is over the top of the stand pivot, it will naturally settle to the rear the rest of the way.

Any force diverted to deliberately pulling the bike to the rear is wasted force that could have been used to lift up and make the centerstanding operation easier.