2Likes
  • 1 Post By dude987
  • 1 Post By gerhard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 4:19 pm Thread Starter
bmd

r1100rt problems

my motorcycle story:
two years ago i read, zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, for the second time. the last time i read it, some time in the mid 80ís, i went out a bought a honda saber 700.
i wanted a motorcycle, but had to start from scratch, since so many changes have taken place over the past 23 years. after doing research i narrowed it down to a honda st1300 or a bmw r1100rt or a bmw r1200rt.
i was able to demo a st for a 5 mile ride. thoughts: it gave off a lot of heat from the engine, it was top heavy, had plenty of power, handling was ok, $10,000 for a used one.
demoed the r1200rt thoughts: the engine is low, so there is very little heat, and the handling was great, very easy to turn, looked nice and it was a beemer, $9,500 for 2005.

i ended up getting a 2001 bmw r1100rt w/ 25,000 miles for $6,500. put 5k miles on it in 4 months. took it in for scheduled maintenance. took it to hermys bmw. they did valve check, new tires, fixed fluid weep - $1,500. two weeks later the clutch spine went. after they fixed the clutch, something went wrong with the engine. after they fixed the clutch, rebuilt the trans and rebuilt the engine, the bill was $4,000.
i got the bike back in march, put 1000 miles on it and the clutch spline went again, 40 miles from home. hermys bmw said theyíd fix it, because itís still under their repair warranty.

i really like the bmw, the looks, handling, etc., but i donít want to be stranded again or pay the high repair costs.
now, iím looking to replace the bike, and honda is at the top of the list, although iím concerned about the wooble/weave. i rally like the bmw but...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 6:40 pm

Re: r1100rt problems

Some of the bikes, especially GS's but I can't see why it might not be other R bikes, had the engine/transmission interfaces not perpendicular or otherwise lined up properly. Prone to blowing the splines regularly. From what I have heard it was on the tranny side. Sometimes you have to cut your losses!

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K13S & DR650 (gone through a few RT's)
R1200GS (2014)
S1000R
Mount Vernon Cannon Works
post #3 of 18 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 8:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd
my motorcycle story:
two years ago i read, zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance, for the second time. the last time i read it, some time in the mid 80ís, i went out a bought a honda saber 700.
i wanted a motorcycle, but had to start from scratch, since so many changes have taken place over the past 23 years. after doing research i narrowed it down to a honda st1300 or a bmw r1100rt or a bmw r1200rt.
i was able to demo a st for a 5 mile ride. thoughts: it gave off a lot of heat from the engine, it was top heavy, had plenty of power, handling was ok, $10,000 for a used one.
demoed the r1200rt thoughts: the engine is low, so there is very little heat, and the handling was great, very easy to turn, looked nice and it was a beemer, $9,500 for 2005.

i ended up getting a 2001 bmw r1100rt w/ 25,000 miles for $6,500. put 5k miles on it in 4 months. took it in for scheduled maintenance. took it to hermys bmw. they did valve check, new tires, fixed fluid weep - $1,500. two weeks later the clutch spine went. after they fixed the clutch, something went wrong with the engine. after they fixed the clutch, rebuilt the trans and rebuilt the engine, the bill was $4,000.
i got the bike back in march, put 1000 miles on it and the clutch spline went again, 40 miles from home. hermys bmw said theyíd fix it, because itís still under their repair warranty.

i really like the bmw, the looks, handling, etc., but i donít want to be stranded again or pay the high repair costs.
now, iím looking to replace the bike, and honda is at the top of the list, although iím concerned about the wooble/weave. i rally like the bmw but...

I am originally from PA and went thru high school in that state.
At the time PA was looked up to for it's educational prowess.
Somehow that apparently changed since YOU NEVER LEARNED TO CAPITALIZE proper nouns and the first word of a sentence.

Does it make a difference riding a bike? Probably not.
Does it make a difference reading what you wrote?? It does.
You might consider a Harley!

Sorry, I've had a couple of glasses of wine so I thought I should whine.

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2011 R1200RT
2009 650 Suzuki V-Strom
2007 Goldwing
2006 Kawasaki Nomad
1992 BMW K75

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 9:09 pm

I never heard of Beech's contention. Not arguing, just saying that in all these years I, personally, have never heard that. But what do I know- shoot, I am only active on the top 3 or is it 4 BMW oriented forums on the planet...

I had a R1100R, no issues. I have a R1200RT now - no problems. I had other BMW's no spline problems. I rode from SLC to California and back with a lady who has an R1100RT... no issues. My R1100S does not have such issues either. So what?

Things happen and sometimes they don't. I do all my own maintenance. I check everything... so far- knocking on wood no problems.

What I do not understand is the O.P. bought the cheapest alternative, now he is complaining.

Get the Honda and suffer... or get a modern R1200RT, buy an extended warranty and enjoy life.

2014 R1200RT WC

"This message is brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department"
post #5 of 18 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 7:27 am

I am new to the board. I recently (4 weeks ago) purchased a 1999 R1100RT-P ex California Highway Patrol bike with 50K miles, and outside of me stupidly overfilling the oil and creating a lot of smoke until I drained it and refilled it, it has been no problem in the first 2000 miles. It has also been an absolute pleasure to drive.

It gets 50 MPG or better depending on my driving. I have heard and read about these horror stories about spline problems but wonder if it has anything to do with the way the bike is driven, or perhaps some substandard parts that made it through BMW's quality control during manufacturer and repair. I do all my own maintenance when it is required.

I am 63, not 23, and very conservative in my driving... with careful maintenance and careful driving, I expect it to last a very long time. Thanks to all who have given me assistance and advice since joining this board.
post #6 of 18 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 2:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan
Somehow that apparently changed since YOU NEVER LEARNED TO CAPITALIZE proper nouns and the first word of a sentence.

Most of us have probably been there - done that - sort to thing. A bit tipsy and ornery. Whine all you want.
LAF likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 3:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by biometrics
I am new to the board.

I am 63, not 23, and very conservative in my driving... with careful maintenance and careful driving, I expect it to last a very long time. Thanks to all who have given me assistance and advice since joining this board.
Welcome to the forum and fine motorcycling. Yes it will last a long time given proper care and maintenance. My 1980 RT you see in the icon photo went 206K miles for me in the 22 years I owned it. The current owner tells me has racked up 7 thousand trouble free miles. Swing arm bearings, carbs rebuilt (twice) and regular "wear and tear" items. The ignition (points) gave me fits around 110K but they were replaced with an after market electronic unit---no more problems.

Maintenance is the key----good luck!

Dave

2010 R1200 RT, Current Chariot
2007 Triumph Scrambler, Hoodlum
2005 H-D Road King, Trustworthy and fun
1980 R100 RT. Old friend of 22 years, all good
1971 BSA B50 SS, One lung funster
1970 BSA 650 Lightning, Alas, lost to a nasty crash
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 8:31 pm Thread Starter
bmd

Smile Re: r1100rt problems

Quote:

i used to always capitalize properly, until i read a friend's blog and emails, and she never used capitals, yet she is one of the smartest people i've ever met. she graduated in the top 10 from high school. her graduating class had over 900 people. she later graduated from upenn in 3.5 years. before she graduated from med school, she got married and gave birth to two children. she was later accepted to the med/peds residency program in De. there were four positions and 105 applied. during her residency, which included working 80 hours a week, she had another child with out trouble. if she doesn't use caps, then i'm ok in not using them either.

how do i know this person? i was her sixth grade math and LA teacher
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 9:52 pm

Quote:

you really shouldn't drink and post...

i guess e.e. cummings didn't come from pa

Art-----------------
2012 Triumph Street Triple R
2010 BMW RT
2001 H-D FXDX
post #10 of 18 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd
i used to always capitalize properly, until i read a friend's blog and emails, and she never used capitals, yet she is one of the smartest people i've ever met. she graduated in the top 10 from high school. her graduating class had over 900 people. she later graduated from upenn in 3.5 years. before she graduated from med school, she got married and gave birth to two children. she was later accepted to the med/peds residency program in De. there were four positions and 105 applied. during her residency, which included working 80 hours a week, she had another child with out trouble. if she doesn't use caps, then i'm ok in not using them either.

how do i know this person? i was her sixth grade math and LA teacher

GREAT EXAMPLE AS A TEACHER!!!!!!

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2011 R1200RT
2009 650 Suzuki V-Strom
2007 Goldwing
2006 Kawasaki Nomad
1992 BMW K75
post #11 of 18 Old Sep 17th, 2016, 8:09 am

Cough....splutter.... [Logs out and returns to Ducati forum]
post #12 of 18 Old Sep 17th, 2016, 12:38 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
At the time PA was looked up to for it's educational prowess...
Hmm... did PA schools teach you to use "it's" (it is) when lauding "its" educational prowess?

Or is it just the wine?
post #13 of 18 Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 2:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I get caught in the its it's all the time. I know the difference but " Spell Check " and failure to proof read makes it my fault.
My ole 76 R90/6 had issues with the clutch spline. It would stick when letting the clutch out. The splines would dry out. The first time I let my dealer repair. I don't remember what it cost , The second and third time I learned to separate the trans and engine about half an inch and got a little skinny brush, attached it to a dowel and painted a bit of lube on the splines.
I do not know if this 05 has the same dry clutch / spline but maybe it would be worth a try.
post #14 of 18 Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 5:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd View Post
my motorcycle story:.....
.... i rally like the bmw but...
As Beech said, there was a period when there were these claimed alignment issues.
Your bike appears to be one of them. It doesn't matter how many clutches you put in it, or how many times you change that Gearbox input shaft, if there is misalignment it will eat that input shaft again. The solution is a replacement gearbox housing. Don't waste your time rebuilding that one as it will most likely happen again.
Sorry.
post #15 of 18 Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 6:28 am

I think there are certain risks when buying a low mileage 15+ year bike and unfortunately you bought a lot of work. I don't know anything about the spline or alignment between engine and transmission and anything that entails. I have talked to a lot RT riders and have only met one or two that had really expensive repairs and even they still loved their bikes.

I know a lot of people that ride both the Honda ST1300 and ST1100, I was one of the 1100 crowd for 12 years, they are not problem free either but the repairs tend to not be as expensive. The early ST1100 suffered from a weak charging system and folks that added a lot of farkles spent a lot of money replacing or repairing the charging system. Mine was a later model with the higher output alternator and was mostly trouble free until the end of my ownership where the switch gear and the relay that powered the starter motor needed replacement. The ST1300 seem to have a lot coolant leaks and heat issues where a lot of heat gets dumped on the rider making for an uncomfortable summer's day. From what I understand the high speed wobble was mostly an issue on U.K. police bikes and had something to do with weight distribution. Personally have never met a ST1300 owner that had the wobble issue and all of them seem just as loyal or maybe even more loyal to the ST than the BMW crowd is to the RT.

Gerhard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 18 Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 6:34 am

You guys do know you are responding to a post from 2011...?

Time flies and sometimes threads and questions get answered right away, sometimes not...

So, how's that R1100 doing these days?

2014 R1200RT WC

"This message is brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department"
post #17 of 18 Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 6:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz View Post
Wouldn't be the first time that I was caught talking to myself

Gerhard
LAF likes this.

post #18 of 18 Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 9:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz View Post

Time flies and sometimes threads and questions get answered right away, sometimes not...

So, how's that R1100 doing these days?
Thanks Hopz. I hadn't realised that. It looks like a troll at post #12 reactivated it.
My apologies to all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.