RT vs Harley For Long Distance - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 11:50 am Thread Starter

RT vs Harley For Long Distance

"A fast, nimble, corner burning sport tourer (R1200RT) that would be fun in the twisties, and got exactly that... BUT... am I having fun? Truth is, not as much as I hoped. For long distance, laid back, deep in the saddle touring, the big Harleys are tough to beat. All my BMW friends think Iím nuts while my Harley buds are saying I told you so!"

The above quote is from an ebay listing for an R1200RT and the poster states that for long distance touring, the Big Harley is hard to beat.

For those who have experience with the R1200RT and Harleys....do you find Big Harleys better than RT's for long distance riding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 12:04 pm

Re: RT vs Harley For Long Distance

I rode my RT across country last summer. Did about 4000 miles in 9 days. I would have much preferred to have been on the Ultra for that trip.

2012 Custom Twin Cam (Building now from the frame up)
2011 HD Road Glide Ultra (Sweet Ride)
2010 HD Road Glide (Traded)
2007 Triumph Rocket III Classic (Sold)
2007 HD SE Ultra - RIP
2006 KLR650 "SOLD"
2006 R1200RT "Traded"
2000 HD Road Glide "SOLD"
2001 HD Softail (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 12:27 pm

Those guys on the Harleys do looked more relaxed, but I just can not abide the gynochological riding position myself. I'm sticking with the RT. I've done ten hour days on mine and no worse for the wear even with a stock seat , so I'm probably not the one to be a judge about the Harley debate.

No matter where you go , there you are.

post #4 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 12:45 pm

I think it is not the comfort that you should go after, rather than the looks and feel.
Both bikes are among the best and most comfortable long tourers you can get in the market (others there too, such as LT, etc). You should decide based on the looks, the sounds, the feel, the heritage and your feelings when you ride...

There are both super excellent bikes, and we should be happy we have the possibility to own and ride such bikes (RT owner too).

In this part of the world, Harleys are non existant and are considered old fashioned, Beemers are ruling the world here and the RT is the most comfy (LT virtually non existant).

Stick with the initial investment you made, the RT.
post #5 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 2:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_H
I rode my RT across country last summer. Did about 4000 miles in 9 days. I would have much preferred to have been on the Ultra for that trip.
Why do you prefer the Ultra?
post #6 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 3:17 pm

In my opinion for really long trips you should consider the LT vs the big Harley, I have ridden them both, I like the Harley`s seat and sound and low center of gravity, both feet flat on the ground, I`m 5`10 32 in inseam, but that is about it, acceleration, handling,wind protection navigation system, stereo sound, reverse, electric center stand, did I mention handling?, the LT takes it, I owned an 07 for two years and did three long trips two up and fully loaded on it while my riding buddy has a Harley, after 400 to 500 miles I wanted to keep on going, he could hardly get off the saddle and walk, I now own an 08 RT and absolutly love it, almost as comfortable as the LT with a lot less weight and even better handling, this past spring spent 10 days in the Blue Ridge put about 2300 miles two up, loved it, the trade off between more comfort and better handling did it for me, good luck on your decision

Last edited by rferna12; Mar 11th, 2010 at 3:34 pm.
post #7 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 3:47 pm

OK, first off: US Interstates suck for touring. But sometimes you've got to make time for Monday AM or the terrain is booooring (eg the Great Plains).

The Gold Wing was developed for the US market. One of their early models was called the "Interstate". The current "sporty" GL1800 bikes weigh 50% more than an RT.

Harley: well, several models have the word "glide" in their name. They've never been known for agile handling. And nobody expects them to be corner carvers.

If you are going to spend 10 hours riding at a constant 70mph on an arrow straight divided highway, with no intersections and bathed in 18 wheeler truck wash, you want a slow steering heavy tank with a spongy soft suspension.

I'm more than happy to give up a bit of interstate comfort for better back-road fun.
post #8 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 4:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I did 600 miles on my RT the first day I owned it. (Had to get it home somehow.) I've never owned a Harley and likely never will. Nothing against them, unless you've been near one on a hot day. Compared to an RT or LT, it's like standing next to a big wood stove. I'll take the RT or LT either one over a big air-cooled V.
post #9 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 5:36 pm

I've had a Road King Classic and a Street Glide...both nice machines. The Road King is better for touring however not my choice due to weight. The Street Glide is not a good machine for touring in my opinion as the slammed suspension and wind protection is terrible on the long haul causing fatigue. Both did what they were made for and the machine you buy should reflect the type of riding you're attempting...cross country....or cross town to the bar. Ride what suits your need.
post #10 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 6:04 pm

"Low seat height can't compensate for inferior braking, handling and performance." I think this says it all. I would never consider buying any Harley. If I wanted to cruise the 4 lane highways then there is no better bike than the LT or maybe even a Lead Wing. I would never pay what HD wants for there outdated technology. I think the Harley riders look ridiculous riding with there legs stuck out in front of them. My neighbor has a Harley Ultra and when he gets it all loaded up and with a passenger he hardly has enough power to pass cars. On a twisty road he has no chance to pass anybody because the straights are not long enough for him to get a run at it. Any way I prefer him behind me as I do not like to listen to his loud exhaust. I will admit though, it sure "sounds" like it has a lot of power.

08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
07 Moto Guzzi Norge (gone)
post #11 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 7:03 pm

I'm not sure what kind of Harley he has dbq but that doesn't sound like an Ultra. The Harleys I owned had more than enough power 2 up and with luggage. No problem passing or moving along at a good clip. Just saying as a previous owner your friends experience was not mine.
post #12 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Harley: Yesterday's Technology at Today's Prices!

My best riding buddy has a nearly new '09 Ultra-classic with Vance and Hines pipes and the big bore kit.

We traded bikes on about a 55 mile Freeway ride back in September.

All I can say is the Harley was awful! Loud & pounding, buffeted the shit out of me, Didn't go well, didn't stop well and didn't turn well! I froze my ass off!. Terrible protection (and he had those silly leg protector things on it!) And no heated seat or grips. For me aty 5'11 and 32" Inseam I was stuffed into the thing. Really short from the bars to the seat, uncomfortable as hell! No adjustable windshield!

Before I bought my RT I test drove a Police Special and and also rented a new Ultra-classic for a day and rode with the wife for the whole day!

The '09 Harley's are supposed to have a redesigned cross under exhaust which is supposed to be cooler for the rider. If this is cooler I would need an asbestos suit when riding a pre '09 model so i didn't burst into flames! that's Hot! As Paris H. said , even with the "New" design.

Ya really gotta wonder about a bike that has parade mode,, for stop & go traffic. cuts out the spark to rear cylinder so the thing does not melt you or itself!

Also didn't appreciate getting shaken to death, beaten up, buffeted, frozen and the noise absolutley percussing my helmet!

I didn't walk, I ran down and bought a new Rt and have not looked back! (but if I did all I would see in mirrors in the distance is a Harley trying to keep up!)

By the way he paid about $5,500.00 more for the UC then i did out the door!

Last edited by Atomicman; Mar 11th, 2010 at 7:45 pm.
post #13 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 7:21 pm

Have done long days on both an Ultra Classic and an RT, prefer the RT
At the end of the day my I don't have a concussion....
post #14 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 7:33 pm

Shouldn't this be in the humor Forum?

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #15 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Wellllll, I guess I'll chime in with my $.02 since I currently ride an '05 RT and a '00 FLHR-PI ( 2000 Road King ex Police fuel injected ).

These 2 bikes are about as diametrically opposed as you could get, the only similarity being a) they are both motorcycles b) they use 2 cylinder air cooled engines.

I use the FLH for a fun 'local' rider, love the sound and 'classic' feel to the Harley, honestly, used as it is intended, it puts a smile on my face. I enjoy the pace, like the riding position, laid back.

I use the RT for everything else and if I was to have only one bike it would hands down be the winner.

Jim

PS I have owned every bike out there except a MV Augusta F4, and any form of Guzzi...:-)

'05 R1200RT Red
Aluminum GPS mount:

Replacement windshield arms:

post #16 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 9:09 pm

Ditto to most everything that has been said. Came from sport bikes and owned a FLHTCU which I traded on my 2009 RT. One of the best bikes (RT) for it's intended purpose I have ever owned. Apples and oranges. You will not change the mind of a true HD owner to ever accept any other bike as "worthy". It's not about the bike, it's all about the "state of mind". It's all been said before so I won't rehash.
post #17 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 11:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have an '08 RT and an '09 HD Ultra and love both bikes. As mentioned, they are totally different machines. My Ultra has ABS brakes (not linked) which stop it very well. The side cases as well as the top case are much easier to use than those on my RT. Slow speed handling is much easier on the 900 lbs Ultra. The '09 Ultra has HD's new frame and larger rear tire which makes it much more stable in the twisties versus earlier model HD's. The RT is much more fuel efficient; handles the twisties much better; and has an adjustable windshield. As for comfort, the HD is much easier on my wrists as well as my knees with its more upright seating position. Two up, my wife prefers the Ultra over the RT. The HD is definitely overpriced for what you get; however, maintenance is very inexpensive and very easy for the non-technical owner should they want to do it themselves. Reliability of newer model HD's has been better than BMW's. Oh, and you can get heated grips and seats on the HD's as an option. Both my RT and my Ultra will go faster than I should drive them and each of them are great bikes in MHO.
post #18 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 11:21 pm

I'm saving spare change for the "new" LT for the long interstate road trips, which can be fun. I have the RT for motorcycling. I do mostly mountain/canyon/backroad curve riding, and it seems like I pass HD's all day long on those trips . . . .

My friend Rich at Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston, WA (who has ridden thousands of bikes, knows "comfort," and has three Iron Butt license plate frames on his shop wall), tells an amusing story about the difference between passing a semi on a Harley and RT (to his perception): Rt, downshift, gas, dip left, dip right, you're done. Harley, run it up to 75, move left slowly, try not to notice the white knuckles, give her gas and pray you get around before you run out of road. Of course, that's just hearsay. And he does still like Harleys.
post #19 of 91 Old Mar 11th, 2010, 11:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner
I have an '08 RT and an '09 HD Ultra and love both bikes. As mentioned, they are totally different machines. My Ultra has ABS brakes (not linked) which stop it very well. The side cases as well as the top case are much easier to use than those on my RT. Slow speed handling is much easier on the 900 lbs Ultra. The '09 Ultra has HD's new frame and larger rear tire which makes it much more stable in the twisties versus earlier model HD's. The RT is much more fuel efficient; handles the twisties much better; and has an adjustable windshield. As for comfort, the HD is much easier on my wrists as well as my knees with its more upright seating position. Two up, my wife prefers the Ultra over the RT. The HD is definitely overpriced for what you get; however, maintenance is very inexpensive and very easy for the non-technical owner should they want to do it themselves. Reliability of newer model HD's has been better than BMW's. Oh, and you can get heated grips and seats on the HD's as an option. Both my RT and my Ultra will go faster than I should drive them and each of them are great bikes in MHO.
I just have to take eissue with a couple of comments.But of course ever one is entitled to their own opinion and beaty is in the eye of the beholder!!!

The side cases and the top case on the HD are easier to use?

couldn't disagree more. And they are small! Amd the latches and hinges are chinsy!

Slow speed handling is much easier on the 900 lbs Ultra. Ya gotta be kindin' me?

I bet you'll some heavy disagreement on this one. I have no problem with the RTat slow speed. The Harley is a tank!

You need a football field width area to do a damn U-turn on the HOG!

And trust me I take plenty of guff from my Harley bretheren. My brother-in law has an '04 Ultra and a Fatboy that has been compleltly chopped and customized and hthe other guy I mention with the 'o9 UC is his next door neighbor.

When every i ride with them and we come to a stop, the brother law wants me to Rev up the beemer so he "Can't" hear it!

I gotta tel you the truth though. i go out every thursday night to a couple of bars that have at leat 200 Harley's show up. And they are a bit different really cool looking, all macho and some custom and for a while i thought to myself, man did i goof up by buying the RT.

I started thinking may be i did make a mistake, UNTIL I WENT FOR A RIDE ON THAT ULTRA CLASSIC LAST SEPTEMBER. NUTHIN' COULD HAVE MADE ME HAPIER THEN TO GET BACK ON MY RT AND KNOW FOR SUREI MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE!

But to each his own!

Last edited by Atomicman; Mar 11th, 2010 at 11:50 pm.
post #20 of 91 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 1:10 am

Have owned numerous H-D's and BMW's.

They've all been excellent. Comfortable on them all. Reliable. etc. and etc. On some rides I look forward to the in-the-bike, deeply rumbling H-D, just going with the flow, wishing it would never end. On the RT I enjoy its refinements, nimble attributes, loaded amenities, etc. and etc.

But for long distance? Give me the spacious GS ADV
post #21 of 91 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 9:00 am

I might as well pile on...

I was on H-D for 20 years. My last 4 H-D's were touring models... Tour Glide Ultra Classic, two- Road Kings, and then the best one... the Road Glide.

I have been a touring rider for a long time. In short, the RT replaced the Road Glide and I and my passenger never looked back- not even for a minute.

Comfort, amenities, style, technology, and ability to go all day and still not be tired. Those are the qualities of the RT that we loved then and today.

The H-D was easy to like but seriously... a 300 mile day was a long one. On the RT we just get on and go. 6-700 mile days are no challenge.

Last summer one of my old H-D friends came to Utah for a ride. We left home at mid-morning and by the time we got about 200 miles he was ready to stop for gas... (his tank limit was my half way)... and he wanted to know how far we were planning to go. He also asked me if I had any Advil...

2014 R1200RT WC

"This message is brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department"
post #22 of 91 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 10:25 am

Still, although I haven't had a HD bike or know how it handles, I do have the impression that a HD invites to ride in a very relaxed way.
Seeing the typical way HD's are driven, it looks as though this is unique to these bikes.
I have no idea how and why this is (or would be) so, but sometimes I wish my BMW had a button labeled "HD style"
In a way, it remembers me of the Volvo's I have owned 30 years ago. They too invited to relaxed driving, I never left these cars nervous.
Looking back, this may have been because the Volvo engines simply didn't have the power to allow anything but a relaxed style
Gaby

K75RT (1994)--->R1200RT (2009)
post #23 of 91 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 12:19 pm

Which is more comfortable is more a matter of opinion. Iíve ridden both. I donít own either. I have no biases. Hope to own a R1200RT when my 650 VStrom stop being fun, inexpensive to upkeep, super reliable and un-indestructible.

Iíve found the shielded or faired HD to be very comfortable for long distance rides. More comfortable than any other cycle Iíve ever ridden and that includes BMW and my VStrom. Maybe itís the riding position. Riding a HD is like riding in a Lazy Boy. Riding a BMW is more like an office chair.

On Sundays I sit up and watch the motorcycles cruising past my home on the 15 freeway. Once a month, during my Las Vegas trips, I pay close attention to the motorcycle traffic heading to and from Las Vegas. Lone cursing HDs loaded down with gear out number all cursing types at least 20 to 1.

HD Motorcycles in the Hotel parking lots display States from all over the country. Surely this wouldnít be that case if they were uncomfortable.

But all of this is unusual. Go to a HD site and asked the same questions (youíll get admonished about doing a search Ė [ask me how I know]) and youíll get posts from dozens of former BMW owners that have switched over to HD because of the long distance comforts.

SoÖ.both sides are probable correct. Comfort is probable based more on your style of riding and personal endurance/comfort levels than the athletic ability of the ride.
post #24 of 91 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 2:50 pm

I came over to the "dark side" about 3 years ago after many years on HD. I love my RT and won't look back. Only comment - IMHO - If you buy HD - get a Road Glide. It's Harley's best kept secret. The frame mounted fairing cuts down on the buffeting compared to the bat-wings of the Ultra, Classic, etc. Much more to like, too. Be sure to keep enough in your pocket to start changing out the bars, seat, etc. so it "fits" you.

my .02,

-Brian

Brian Vandivere
2008 RT

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Thomas Jefferson

post #25 of 91 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 8:50 pm

I own both a Harley and an RT. Both great bikes. I do long trips on both. What I don't understand is the bashing of Harleys on this site. In my experience, Harleys may look ancient, but are really a modern and near-bulletproof machine. I love my RT, but also really like riding my Harley. Different bikes...different enjoyment....

Last edited by loboheritage; Mar 12th, 2010 at 8:55 pm.
post #26 of 91 Old Mar 12th, 2010, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaby
Still, although I haven't had a HD bike or know how it handles, I do have the impression that a HD invites to ride in a very relaxed way.
Seeing the typical way HD's are driven, it looks as though this is unique to these bikes.
I have no idea how and why this is (or would be) so, but sometimes I wish my BMW had a button labeled "HD style"
In a way, it remembers me of the Volvo's I have owned 30 years ago. They too invited to relaxed driving, I never left these cars nervous.
Looking back, this may have been because the Volvo engines simply didn't have the power to allow anything but a relaxed style
Gaby
Ahh Volvo, fond memories. First car I owned was a 1968 144S B18B engine with SU side drafts. Wish I still had it.

Sorry for the off topic hijack
post #27 of 91 Old Mar 13th, 2010, 2:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2rt
Ahh Volvo, fond memories. First car I owned was a 1968 144S B18B engine with SU side drafts. Wish I still had it.

Sorry for the off topic hijack
One more hijack allowed? After this we will switch forum
My first Volvo was also a 144, but a MY1974. I have owned Volvos ever since (currently XC70)
Gaby

K75RT (1994)--->R1200RT (2009)
post #28 of 91 Old Mar 13th, 2010, 8:04 am

My Thoughts..I rent full dress Harley's every year out West and do enjoy every second on them out there..Gods Country from living here in NJ.
I have rented for 9 years and have never had a bad seat or ride on any of them.
From Montana to Calif to Westen Canada Beautiful ! I recomment it to everyone.
I own a Harley and it is in my Living Room for 5 months out of year.
Bought a 2007 RT after having a Yamaha Venture 1985 and 2000 MM and 2000MM was reason for me to buy RT for dropping MM 3 times in 15 minutes..Yikes !
So wanted a lighter bike and reason I push corners on all bikes to point of being out of
control and scraping and reason for dropping Venture was I was tired to point of pushing
all day and did not relieze how tired holding all that weight and with girlfriend on back
fully loaded and now my wife riding on a RT.
But after buying a RT and not finding comfort for over a year for all seats I had on it (6)
I decided to put Harley Ultra Seat on and that was the answer for seating as long as you are riding..I have 34" inseam and still hate the RT for height of this bike when stoppping
especially when wife and fully loaded.
I just bought a Can Am Spyder for wife to try and learn on and I have been riding it and have to say I am liking it the more I ride it.
Had it since December and and being winter here in NJ been riding it and the other day did take RT to work and it did not feel as comfortable as Can Am..
The Can Am is comfortable but surely will not go around corners like I am used to and maybe that is a good thing to slow me down and my friends may be able to keep up with me or this time I may be able to stay with them for once.
The Harely seat on RT let us go from 200 mile days to 400 to 700 mile days...
But the height of RT at times can be a struggle as the weight of a Ultra Harley
fully loaded in Colorado in a town with the streets tapered to center and could not get it off the side stand..
And The Can Am not being able to go as fast in corners but great sitting with passenger and luggage at a red light with feet up and do not care about dirt or gravel with my foot slipping out..
So we all have to chose and age plays a part into what we own when we own it and also
where we live and type of driving.
Here in NJ we put our feet down a lot for every 1/2 mile their is a red light and out west I went 600 miles in 2 days and hit one town that had 2 red lights in the 2 days of riding.
Wow .
How you feel at the time is the best bike you ride at that time.
I have a Harley Springer Beautiful and fun to ride on day ride only.A RT that we can put miles on but hate it when we stop . A Can Am that is comfortable and can stop but not great in corners..
I have to give up one of these bikes this year and not sure which one I will let go .
I love to see my Harley in the house every year for this is my art or my picture and yet riding wise that should be the one to let go but do not think I can..
So we all have to make choices and NO bike is perfect for certain situations that crop up
during some rides ..
That day on the 2000MM Venture with all that weight and pushing the corners all day wish it did not happen and wish that day I had owned the RT..LOL Joe in NJ
post #29 of 91 Old Mar 13th, 2010, 10:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyujoe
My Thoughts..I rent full dress Harley's every year out West and do enjoy every second on them out there..Gods Country from living here in NJ.
I have rented for 9 years and have never had a bad seat or ride on any of them.
From Montana to Calif to Westen Canada Beautiful ! I recomment it to everyone.
I own a Harley and it is in my Living Room for 5 months out of year.
Bought a 2007 RT after having a Yamaha Venture 1985 and 2000 MM and 2000MM was reason for me to buy RT for dropping MM 3 times in 15 minutes..Yikes !
So wanted a lighter bike and reason I push corners on all bikes to point of being out of
control and scraping and reason for dropping Venture was I was tired to point of pushing
all day and did not relieze how tired holding all that weight and with girlfriend on back
fully loaded and now my wife riding on a RT.
But after buying a RT and not finding comfort for over a year for all seats I had on it (6)
I decided to put Harley Ultra Seat on and that was the answer for seating as long as you are riding..I have 34" inseam and still hate the RT for height of this bike when stoppping
especially when wife and fully loaded.
I just bought a Can Am Spyder for wife to try and learn on and I have been riding it and have to say I am liking it the more I ride it.
Had it since December and and being winter here in NJ been riding it and the other day did take RT to work and it did not feel as comfortable as Can Am..
The Can Am is comfortable but surely will not go around corners like I am used to and maybe that is a good thing to slow me down and my friends may be able to keep up with me or this time I may be able to stay with them for once.
The Harely seat on RT let us go from 200 mile days to 400 to 700 mile days...
fully loaded in Colorado in a town with the streets tapered to center and could not get it off the side stand..
And The Can Am not being able to go as fast in corners but great sitting with passenger and luggage at a red light with feet up and do not care about dirt or gravel with my foot slipping out..
So we all have to chose and age plays a part into what we own when we own it and also
where we live and type of driving.
Here in NJ we put our feet down a lot for every 1/2 mile their is a red light and out west I went 600 miles in 2 days and hit one town that had 2 red lights in the 2 days of riding.
Wow .
How you feel at the time is the best bike you ride at that time.
I have a Harley Springer Beautiful and fun to ride on day ride only.A RT that we can put miles on but hate it when we stop . A Can Am that is comfortable and can stop but not great in corners..
I have to give up one of these bikes this year and not sure which one I will let go .
I love to see my Harley in the house every year for this is my art or my picture and yet riding wise that should be the one to let go but do not think I can..
So we all have to make choices and NO bike is perfect for certain situations that crop up
during some rides ..
That day on the 2000MM Venture with all that weight and pushing the corners all day wish it did not happen and wish that day I had owned the RT..LOL Joe in NJ
Hey, what's up with this, we're talking about Volvo's here......what....oh...nevermind.
post #30 of 91 Old Mar 13th, 2010, 7:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I rode my R90/6 for 35000 miles. Only two 5k trips on that. I loved that bike. I bought my Wideglide in 02 and have 40k on it with several short trips. I love that bike.The seat is a firm bucket but very comfortable. I do have slip on mufflers that add noise. Not what I like for long distance but very cool around short hops. Still own that one. I bought an 09 K1300GT in September 09. I only have 4500 miles on that ride but love that bike. I changed the seat to a Corbin plus 1 inch and ordered the Vanholen bar backs. I know it is a Sport Touring bike and that is why they positioned me on a forward lean but I like the comfort zone. I will have that soon. Long touring? I think I would go with the BMW. The Harley would be targeted for theft first.
post #31 of 91 Old Mar 13th, 2010, 9:43 pm

That's easy. Long Distance in a straight line..... HD Road Glide

Long Distance in mountains, sweeping turns.....The RT.

2009 1200 RT
2010 STriple
1976 R90/6
2002 FLSTF
2009 G650 GS
1976 DT 250B
post #32 of 91 Old Mar 14th, 2010, 8:55 pm

really? Harleys are nice looking bikes, but...

2006 R1200RT
post #33 of 91 Old Mar 14th, 2010, 9:28 pm

Luke, There is another

You know there is a bike that can give you the best of both worlds...
I can't believe I'm doing this again.... You guys never learn....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #34 of 91 Old Mar 15th, 2010, 3:21 pm

What is there to compare. The R1200RT is a sport touring bike that is fast, easy to handle, fun in the twisty roads, gets good gas mileage, good looking and the Harley is

08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
07 Moto Guzzi Norge (gone)
post #35 of 91 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 6:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyujoe
My Thoughts..

Joe... try this when you have the Harley (or any bike for that matter) loaded: Turn the handlebars fully to the right side and then pick up the bike. Be careful doing this as it will be MUCH lighter and easier to lift off the sidestand. I have had students actually dump their bikes being too aggressive on the first attempt using this method !

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #36 of 91 Old Mar 18th, 2010, 4:30 pm

I'm not much on Interstates to begin with, our last trip to Austin was all secondary highway and it was like rreturning to 60's America with mom and pop places abounding. Texas keeps all its highways in fine shape as does Arkansas who cater to the motorcylw crowd(see tab on state web site) RT all the way!
post #37 of 91 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 6:06 am

Talking Re: RT vs Harley For Long Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat54
"A fast, nimble, corner burning sport tourer (R1200RT) that would be fun in the twisties, and got exactly that... BUT... am I having fun? Truth is, not as much as I hoped. For long distance, laid back, deep in the saddle touring, the big Harleys are tough to beat. All my BMW friends think Iím nuts while my Harley buds are saying I told you so!"

The above quote is from an ebay listing for an R1200RT and the poster states that for long distance touring, the Big Harley is hard to beat.

For those who have experience with the R1200RT and Harleys....do you find Big Harleys better than RT's for long distance riding?

Comments I can make on this subject: I teach Harley-Davidson Riders Edge classes with 12 other active instructors. Of the twelve of us, only one rides a Harley, which makes from some interesting discussions with the students .

As pointed out, the modern HD machines are very nice bikes for what they are intended. The cruisers are very capable long distance machines but do not compare to BMW anything for twisties (exception being the now deceased Buells which HD marketing never understood). Most HD cruisers have something like a 150-180 mile range which limits trip segments if riding with other longer-range bikes. A good friend of mine has ridden to Alaska on an Ultra Classic, and is readying another Alaska trip next month on his new Road King police special edition. He is a true rider whom I respect, and we needle each other without mercy about which machine is the better ride.

When we are running a Riders Edge class, the owner of our dealership sometime comes up and welcomes the classes, and makes the point that the sign outside says "motorcycle parking" , not "Harley Parking". He says all bikers on any machine are always welcome and that makes for a great experience as most of our students will never own a Harley because they are not their "thing", just as for eleven of our instructors, HD machines are not.

I have begun to notice, with some amusement, that our shop is selling a lot of bright orange riding gear, and many are quietly admiring my R1200R. One guy on a Road King actually purchased some lime green Motoport Kevlar riding gear after examining my suit ! Some even are bold enough to tell me that BMW's are nice machines ! That actually never happens when any of their buddies are around though. I love my Harley brothers and sisters Subversion is working!

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #38 of 91 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 7:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
I just have to take eissue with a couple of comments.But of course ever one is entitled to their own opinion and beaty is in the eye of the beholder!!!

The side cases and the top case on the HD are easier to use?

couldn't disagree more. And they are small! Amd the latches and hinges are chinsy!

Slow speed handling is much easier on the 900 lbs Ultra. Ya gotta be kindin' me?

I bet you'll some heavy disagreement on this one. I have no problem with the RTat slow speed. The Harley is a tank!

You need a football field width area to do a damn U-turn on the HOG!

And trust me I take plenty of guff from my Harley bretheren. My brother-in law has an '04 Ultra and a Fatboy that has been compleltly chopped and customized and hthe other guy I mention with the 'o9 UC is his next door neighbor.

When every i ride with them and we come to a stop, the brother law wants me to Rev up the beemer so he "Can't" hear it!

I gotta tel you the truth though. i go out every thursday night to a couple of bars that have at leat 200 Harley's show up. And they are a bit different really cool looking, all macho and some custom and for a while i thought to myself, man did i goof up by buying the RT.

I started thinking may be i did make a mistake, UNTIL I WENT FOR A RIDE ON THAT ULTRA CLASSIC LAST SEPTEMBER. NUTHIN' COULD HAVE MADE ME HAPIER THEN TO GET BACK ON MY RT AND KNOW FOR SUREI MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE!

But to each his own!
I hate to say this, amigo, but it's obvious to me you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to Harleys. I rode them, on and off the jobs, for decades. Riding them one day last September doesn't make you an expert on them by any stretch of your imagination.

1. Actually, yes. The saddlebags on Harley touring bikes are more functional. First, they hold more and second, your stuff doesn't fall out all over the parking lot every time you open them. I bought liners to take care of this problem on my RT and they have helped quite a bit, but the RT's panniers are still nowhere near as convenience as the Harley bags. I honestly miss them.
2. Yes, the Harley is very easy to handle at slow speeds. Just watch any number of police rodeo videos available on youtube. I could show you myself if you lived close by. Don't blame the bikes for your lack of experience on them. It might take the width of a football field for you to make a U-turn on a big Harley, but not anyone that's taken the time learn to ride it. I think you'd be very pleasantly surprised at how easy they are to handle at slow speed once you get the hang of it. They have several advantages in regard to this over the RT. They have a wet clutch, a lower center of gravity, and the handlebars turn farther to the right and left. With the RT, you have to lean the bike over farther to make a tight turn because of the limited travel of the handlebars. This, coupled with the RT's higher center of gravity, makes it a little trickier to make tight turns at slow speed. It can be done, but, in my opinion, it takes more practice and skill to become really proficient on an RT.

Now, with all this said, I traded in my 2008 Electra Glide with ABS and cruise control for a "loaded" 2009 R1200RT and I wouldn't ever go back. Sure, there are things I liked better about the Harley (including the saddlebags), but the positives that the RT offers vastly outweighs the Harley's virtues. Of course, the most important thing about a bike is the experience of actually riding it and, in this, I much prefer the RT over my Electra Glide. I'm not as young as I used to be (a BIG understatement ) and my body got beat up pretty badly over the years. I've had surgeries, including back surgeries, to repair injuries I sustained in the line of duty and riding does take its toll on me, especially when my wife and I are on one of our long distance tours. I still do it because it's one of the things like love most in life and I'll keep riding and touring as long as I can.

The bottom line is this. I'm more comfortable on the RT, plain and simple. That's why I ride a BMW R1200RT today and it's why, as fine a machine as they are, I won't ever be going back to riding a Harley.

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

post #39 of 91 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 9:19 am

I want to come back in the pool and say that XTrooper's comments are right on and I agree with all he said.

I loved my H-Ds, all of them, and wish I sill had them in the garage... well all except the Tour Glide Ultra Classic, which was a pig, and I mean that in a nice way.

The simple solution is have at least one of each. I tried that and after a month or so made the final decision. Each time my wife and I went for a ride, we put on the gear, and stood in the garage... "Which one baby?" Every time after the RT came to us she always chose it. The Road Glide literally never had another ride after the RT came to the house. Sold it a month later- never looked back, (but I still wish it were there).

2014 R1200RT WC

"This message is brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department"
post #40 of 91 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 5:27 pm

I have a Harley and a BMW RT. I agree with the good things
said about both bikes. That is why I own one of each. They
are just different. Some folks just can't get a grip on the fact
some people like different things. If you don't like Harleys,
don't buy one......
post #41 of 91 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Re: Luke, There is another

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen

John
That's a beautiful bike, John. If they were still selling them today, I'd be all over one.

Steve

post #42 of 91 Old Mar 20th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrooper
That's a beautiful bike, John. If they were still selling them today, I'd be all over one.
Why? Seriously. Why did you buy an RT if you consider this a superior product?

This oilhead design was never known for its powerband. It was seriously detuned to give the harley-esque low end. The riding position, handling, and powerband are entirely different from that of an RT. It was BMW's attempt to grab HD cruiser sales. And it failed miserably.

If you want a Harley, get a Harley.
post #43 of 91 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 6:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semio
Why? Seriously. Why did you buy an RT if you consider this a superior product?

This oilhead design was never known for its powerband. It was seriously detuned to give the harley-esque low end. The riding position, handling, and powerband are entirely different from that of an RT. It was BMW's attempt to grab HD cruiser sales. And it failed miserably.

If you want a Harley, get a Harley.
You assume WAY too much. The only one mentioning it being a "superior product" is you.

If still available, I'd buy one as a second bike for cruising/bar-hopping, NOT as my primary/only bike.

Apparently, you didn't read my previous post where I plainly stated I wouldn't ever be going back to riding a Harley, but, if I did decide to, it would be MY decision to do so. I'm long past worrying about what others think of me or what I do.

Steve

Last edited by XTrooper; Mar 21st, 2010 at 6:48 am.
post #44 of 91 Old Mar 21st, 2010, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat54

I must agree to a degree... You can't beat the RT's for working it out in the twisties, but for overall comfort, and that includes..

RT VS HD - better wind protection on RT in some cases. Would that be the deciding for me, no not after having riden the HD long distance and being able to compare comfort on both bikes. I MISS MY HD Tourer . . .

RT VS HD - ease of handling around town. For me the HD was easier to handle, lower center of gravity, easier to handle with passenger, etc.

RT VS HD - Available power. HD was enough for my needs.

RT VS HD - Luggage areas. HD was enough for my needs.

RT VS HD - Saddle comfort. HD for me wins hands-down without a thought of needing to change factory seat. Did add backrest, which helps my lower back endure longer rides.

RT VS HD - Mileage was comparable for my riding habits.

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #45 of 91 Old Mar 22nd, 2010, 9:33 pm

Check this out :

From Cali to Tuk (Tuktoyatuk in NWT) on a HD: amazing ride report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=inuvik+Harley
post #46 of 91 Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 4:11 am

Gentlemen,
The only thing that can 'top' an RT on a long haul is a Goldwing, certainly not a Hardley.

I just sold a Goldwind and bought an RT...even my proposition is now debatable. I find the RT to glide at 80mph, less buffeting than the Wing (which is hard to believe), more stable on the road is several ways (the Goldwings have wobble issues and poor front ends, moreover, recent models have tranny issues)...a well equipped RT with over-the-road accessories would be hard to beat if you don't compare it to a Winabego.
post #47 of 91 Old Mar 30th, 2010, 8:50 pm

Apples and Oranges.... I do not see the comparison, the HD 850lb lead sled, vs. a 300 lb lighter more nimble , more powerful, better wind mgt. and much quicker throttle response RT. I think the Harley bares a comparison to the LT. I rode Harley's for 18 years, and have a LT and RT. The LT is more in the same class, and it is far superior in about every way..... but I have only owned the BMW for about a year and 11,000 miles of touring, and I can say, love both the RT and LT and wish I had done this years ago.
post #48 of 91 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 1:41 am

I have just moved from Harley to Bmw, in England and Europe the Harley is a waste of time unless you sit on the motorway all day, otherwise you get bogged down in traffic and you are constantly scraping the pegs even at low speeds, the riding position encourages you to slouch and get back ache, and if you need to make up some time you just dont have what it takes. Im sure on the American highways its perfect after all, thats what they are built for
post #49 of 91 Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 2:52 pm

You're comparing apples and oranges. The answer is simple. Buy both bikes!

2007 R1200RT
post #50 of 91 Old Apr 8th, 2010, 1:34 am

I've owned both. My current mileage record (1300 in 24 hours) is on an RT. Couldn't have done it on a Harley. Nice bikes, but the ergonomic is all off for me. The RT is the ultimate touring bike IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.