Third Party Windshield for the R1200RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 Old Mar 7th, 2009, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

Third Party Windshield for the R1200RT

Hi,
I am looking at installing a third party windsheild this season that is best suited for reducing noise for the rider and the passenger. It appears that ZTechnik,Cee Bailey and Aeroflow are the top suppliers of windshields for the RT. Any recommendations or comments would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Anthony
Toronto Canada
'09 K1300GT - Falcon
'07 R1200RT - Silver Falcon
'03 HD Sportster XL1200C Anniversary - Shake & Bake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old Mar 7th, 2009, 2:12 pm

Re: Third Party Windshield for the R1200RT

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/R1200RTprod.html

The quietest one on the market IMHO.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #3 of 77 Old Mar 7th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Add California Scientific to the choices too. I changed to a CB +2 +2 (I am 6') and while it was very effective at reducing wind / wind noise, I found it a bit to effective. It served me well for 20K KM last Summer, but I just took it off an installed a CalSci.

Waiting for the snow drifts to shrink before I will know if the change to CalSci is a good choice.

Craig

post #4 of 77 Old Mar 8th, 2009, 5:28 am

http://www.ztechnik.com/
post #5 of 77 Old Mar 8th, 2009, 10:17 am

I have a Cee Bailey's and just love it so far. It is the Euro Cut # 2 w/light gray tint, +1H, +2W (my height is 5' 7"). About 2" from the top of the screen it goes more vertical and wind totally flows over my helmet and with the screen halfway up it is like being in a sound cocoon.

'05 1200 RT, Ruby, as in RED, '04 1150 RT, '99 Ducati 748 BiPosto,
'93 Yamaha Seca II, '93 K1100RS (Silk Blue), '83 Yamaha Maxim 750
post #6 of 77 Old Mar 8th, 2009, 4:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwillson
Add California Scientific to the choices too. I changed to a CB +2 +2 (I am 6') and while it was very effective at reducing wind / wind noise, I found it a bit to effective. It served me well for 20K KM last Summer, but I just took it off an installed a CalSci.

Waiting for the snow drifts to shrink before I will know if the change to CalSci is a good choice.

Craig
I had a mixed experience with calsci.

Riding wising, it's a terrific design. Low noise, no buffeting, good coverage.

Durability wise, not so good. The first one I purchased was fine until late fall when the temp dropped. When the temp dropped, it cracked at the mounting holes. I figured I must have over tightened the mounting screws. I like it so much, I purchased a second and made sure I didn't over tighten it.

That windshield cracked, too. Mark at calsci sent me a third windshield on warranty. I put it on the bike the night it arrived. I didn't complete the install that night. The mounting screws were just hand tight. Over night we had a cold spell and the temp in the garage dropped from about 60F to 35F. When I came out in the morning, the windshield had cracked between the mounting holes and between the mounting holes and the vent.

I replaced it with a CB. Seems to be working OK.
post #7 of 77 Old Mar 8th, 2009, 4:54 pm

I hope your experience is not mirrored here. I routinely ride to -10C (mom never bragged about her bright son) - if the roads are dry and the ice rink I laughingly call my driveway is clear I will ride.

Stay tuned for a cold weather ride report. I figure two weeks should see the drifts down to a point where a ride may be possible.

Craig
post #8 of 77 Old Mar 8th, 2009, 10:32 pm

I ride year around when the roads are not snow/ice covered. I am going to try this one as the stock has more noise then I had with my stock LT.
http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/zte...h_model=bm-046

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMW'S ARE THE WORST BIKE IN THE WORLD, CEPT' WHEN YOU COMPARE THEM TO EVERYTHING ELSE!
post #9 of 77 Old Mar 11th, 2009, 1:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzyck
I had a mixed experience with calsci.

Riding wising, it's a terrific design. Low noise, no buffeting, good coverage.

Durability wise, not so good. The first one I purchased was fine until late fall when the temp dropped. When the temp dropped, it cracked at the mounting holes. I figured I must have over tightened the mounting screws. I like it so much, I purchased a second and made sure I didn't over tighten it.

That windshield cracked, too. Mark at calsci sent me a third windshield on warranty. I put it on the bike the night it arrived. I didn't complete the install that night. The mounting screws were just hand tight. Over night we had a cold spell and the temp in the garage dropped from about 60F to 35F. When I came out in the morning, the windshield had cracked between the mounting holes and between the mounting holes and the vent.

I replaced it with a CB. Seems to be working OK.

Wow. I use the CalSci only in winter when I want a little extra protection up front, and in the cold riding temps... teens, 20's, it has worked great. No issues, three winters of active riding.
post #10 of 77 Old Mar 12th, 2009, 5:07 am

I have had great luck with the Aeroflow but not during the warmer months.

Tim S
Arizona,USA

2011 R1200RT
post #11 of 77 Old Mar 12th, 2009, 8:04 pm

Garage

I never had a problem with the Calsci in the cold.
post #12 of 77 Old Mar 13th, 2009, 7:52 am

Here's some photos of my last calsci windshield. I took these in the a.m. The night before I put the windshield on the bike and tightened the mounting screws finger tight. This is what I found in the a.m. The bike was never taken off the center stand.

This is the right side...

and this is the left...

post #13 of 77 Old Mar 13th, 2009, 8:12 am Thread Starter

Hi:
Thank you all for your responses. The CalSci looks promissing, however I am concerned about the cracking in cold weather. I am riding to and from now and this morning it is -7. Also, the CB looks promissing, however I think I will do a little more research and test a couple out at the rally.
Thanks again.

Anthony
Toronto Canada
'09 K1300GT - Falcon
'07 R1200RT - Silver Falcon
'03 HD Sportster XL1200C Anniversary - Shake & Bake
post #14 of 77 Old Mar 16th, 2009, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith1
I have a Cee Bailey's and just love it so far. It is the Euro Cut # 2 w/light gray tint, +1H, +2W (my height is 5' 7"). About 2" from the top of the screen it goes more vertical and wind totally flows over my helmet and with the screen halfway up it is like being in a sound cocoon.
How is visual clarity? On my last bike (a C model) I tried several windshields and they not only didn't help the airflow, they distorted visually, especially around the edges.
I know I'm not asking for too much, b/c I rode a rented Harley on vacation and there was NO distortion in the w/s whatsoever.
post #15 of 77 Old Mar 17th, 2009, 11:25 am

I see the pictures of the cracked screen. What I don't see is the mouting strips removed from the old windscreen and put on the CALSCI windscreen. I see screws mounting the windscreen on the bike without the mounting strips.

Brian Hubbard

2005 RT Dark Grey

Carpe Diem
post #16 of 77 Old Mar 17th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bghubr
I see the pictures of the cracked screen. What I don't see is the mouting strips removed from the old windscreen and put on the CALSCI windscreen. I see screws mounting the windscreen on the bike without the mounting strips.
You mean I wasn't supposed to have parts left over.

I took the mounting strips off to take the photo of the cracking. The mounting strips covered much of the cracking and would have prevented seeing the full extent of the problem.

The center screw on each side is located under the mounting strip with a plastic washer that sits gently against the windshield. The upper and lower screws mount through the mounting strip. When the mounting strips came off to take the photo, the outer screws came out. Since the center screws were under the mounting strips, they stayed in.

When the windshield was left overnight, it had the mounting strips installed with those screws also finger tight also.

Your point?
post #17 of 77 Old Mar 18th, 2009, 1:19 am

I think his point was the thought that maybe the strips from the OEM screen weren't used, thus causing the cracks. I thought the same until your explanation.
post #18 of 77 Old Mar 18th, 2009, 5:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson
I think his point was the thought that maybe the strips from the OEM screen weren't used, thus causing the cracks. I thought the same until your explanation.
I bought the first calsci windshield a little less than a year ago. When I bought it, it had glowing reviews for both performance and durability on an RT (IIRC, I saw some positive comments you had written about it, Steve). When I sent Mark the note about the windshield cracking, he had a new windshield coming immediately, no questions. Great customer service, but he didn't seem surprised by the problem. I did a web search recently and found where there were some others that were also having the same problem.

When I compare the calsci windshield to the CB or the stock screen, I notice two things.

a) The drill through on the calsci is much rougher and less polished than the other windshields, particularly the counter sink on the surfaces.

b) The two center holes are closer to the center line of the bike than on the other windshields. That results in the screw standoff on the windshield mount for the center screw pressing very tightly against the outer edges of the center windshield mounting hole.

I wonder if calsci isn't having quality control issues with the recent RT windshelds (maybe other models as well). The three things that come to mind for me are:

1) They changed vendors for the plastic and the new plastic is somehow more brittle.

2) They changed the vendors that are drilling the windshields and the pattern being used is enough different to create a problem.

3) They either changed tooling or are using old tooling that creates a problem cutting that center hole.

The other obvious possibility is that I screwed up the installation. Initially, I was open to that possibility, but it's happened on three different calsci screens. I've had the stock windshield on and off several times with no problem and I haven't had any problem with the CB windshield I used to replace the calsci. If it was an install issue, why no problem with the other brands?

Last edited by alzyck; Mar 18th, 2009 at 5:23 am.
post #19 of 77 Old Mar 21st, 2009, 3:22 am

I've had a CalSci for some time now, and have kept it to put on my new (09) 1200RT

It is significantly quieter than the BMW stock screen, and affords much better protection, too. My only issue would be in our summer, it gets fairly hot behind the larger screen in 35C, and was plain miserable last month in 49C

So far (nearly 2 years of use) it has done all that I need, but it's starting to show a few stone chips: I will get another one later this year, I guess.
post #20 of 77 Old Mar 21st, 2009, 7:15 am

I previously had a ST1300 and tried every windshield in the book. The best by far was the Aeroflow. Living in Northern Ontario, I never had to worry about being too warm but I did regret getting the tall windshield. If I replace the stock RT windshield, I will definitely buy a medium height Aeroflow. I am 6' tall.
post #21 of 77 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 9:15 am

I have an Areoflow on my '08 RT. I think it is great for lower noise and wind. It does have some distortion toward the bottom of the shield, but once I had ridden some I do not notice this. It is pricey in my opinion but well worth the money. I have not tried the others but from what I know now I will stick with the Areoflow. Just my opinion. George
post #22 of 77 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconspirit
Hi,
I am looking at installing a third party windsheild this season that is best suited for reducing noise for the rider and the passenger. It appears that ZTechnik,Cee Bailey and Aeroflow are the top suppliers of windshields for the RT. Any recommendations or comments would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Have you looked at the Laminar products? I used one on my R1200Rt and was amazed at how much it diverted the wind. I could ride with my visor open at 50mph. Great product.

http://www.laminarlip.com/

Roy
post #23 of 77 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 9:39 am

Aeroflow on my 08 RT as well, I also installed the extra spoilers that came with it.
Had a Calsci but wanted to check if I could get even better protection, and I did.
Good design as well.
Maybe the acrylic in the Aeroflow is a bit on the soft side and easily scratches, but nothing to worry about since I managed to polish the Calsi to near perfect gloss with an automotive polisher machine, and I guess I can use the same routine on the Aeroflow when needed.
post #24 of 77 Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 5:28 pm

When I bought my 07 RT new, the first thing I did was replace the shield with a Cee Baileys. Loved it then and love it now.

However, I had read reports re the CalSci and ordered one thinking that it would be cooler for the summers. It had a cut out vent net the nose portion of shield to allow more venting for the rider.

First thing I noticed was the edges were so sharp that I thought I was going to cut myself. Second thing I noticed was that it looked to me as if the shield had been on another bike and possibly ridden (mounting marks). The fact that it was already on another bike really didn't bother me, except I did pay for a brand new one. After I installed the screen, and tried it out on the road, I noticed that bugs were marking up the black plastic directly behind the opening toward the bottom of the screen.

I really did not want to bother with that, so I called and he was very great about returning it. The Cee Bailey went back on and has been on now for over 2 years - no issues at all.

As a matter of fact I am considering a bit larger one (wider) for my upcoming trip to Alaska. The size I have now still allows some buffeting on my arms and I anticipate some cold and wet weather up there.

Good luck with your research.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
post #25 of 77 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 10:44 am

Thought I made a decision. Now I'm doubtful.
post #26 of 77 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 1:02 pm

+1 Ztechnik. Going on three years now. Although I am considering a smaller shield for hot summer riding (Maybe CeeBailey) because I get too much protection from the Ztechnik. Even in the lowest position I wouldn't mind a bit more wind. On the other hand, my SO will probably object to the additional turbulence from a small screen.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

post #27 of 77 Old Apr 5th, 2010, 3:55 pm

I have a CalSci on my 08 RT and love it. I have little or no wind noise and no wind buffeting. Also, I am now able to hear my Radio at highway speeds.

Ferd Nesler

08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
07 Moto Guzzi Norge (gone)
post #28 of 77 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 7:16 am

I like my standard sized Ztechnik.
I did buy it used, and I'm around 5'7"
I used a modified low seat, in the low position the screen is aonly raised about 1,1/2" with the seat in the higher position I raise it about 2~2,1/2".

Quality is superb. Exellent fit, it's molded to fit the double curvature like the OE screen. And clarity is much better for those times when you may wish to see through it.
I'm in pretty still air behind it, if I raise the screen to the point where I have to look through it, it's completly free of any annoying buffeting for me.
hth
\v/

R1200r
(-\v/-)
post #29 of 77 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 10:12 pm

I also complained about the sharp edges on the CalSci on my '05 RT. I am a little surprised that the vendor hasn't addressed that problem. It could not be a hard fix. Otherwise, I like the windshield. It gives me a very quiet ride without buffeting. I don't discount the problems that some others have had, but I don't regret my choice. Vastly better than the stock item.

(BTW: I knocked the sharp edges off the rim of the windshield with some wet-or-dry. It took all of 15 minutes.)
post #30 of 77 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Just got the Z-Tech for my 09. Amazing difference in the ability to knock down wind and eliminate the buffeting.
I tried it low and got clean air and tried it high and got a total isolation chamber.
The optics are second to none - totally clear. This is the clearest screen i have ever looked thru.
Only issue is -- i have added the mirrors on the bars. When riding they do not begin to bump the screen. When i move it around from a stop such as in my garage the screen needs to be up to mid point to avoid bumping against mirrors. Not a big deal for me but something you have to be aware of,
By the way - not sure how anyone can ride the RT without adding the mirrors!!
Geoff c likes this.
post #31 of 77 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 11:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_M
I also complained about the sharp edges on the CalSci on my '05 RT. I am a little surprised that the vendor hasn't addressed that problem. It could not be a hard fix. Otherwise, I like the windshield. It gives me a very quiet ride without buffeting. I don't discount the problems that some others have had, but I don't regret my choice. Vastly better than the stock item.

(BTW: I knocked the sharp edges off the rim of the windshield with some wet-or-dry. It took all of 15 minutes.)
+1

I put one on a couple of months ago and it has a couple of rough edges (the very bottom edge and the cutout). Even those areas are not particularly bad and not at all sharp but still a far cry from the uber-smooth rounded edges of the OEM shield.

I looked at several shields and the CalSci won the coin toss aginst the CB. A colleague of mine has the ZTechnik on his RT and, personally, I think it detracts from the looks of the bike.
Geoff c likes this.

2006 R1200RT (Graphite)
1981 Honda GL1100 Std (sold)
1980 Kawasaki KZ1000 (long gone)
1988 Suzuki Intruder 750 (long gone)
post #32 of 77 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 4:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricbob
Just got the Z-Tech for my 09. Amazing difference in the ability to knock down wind and eliminate the buffeting.
I tried it low and got clean air and tried it high and got a total isolation chamber.
The optics are second to none - totally clear. This is the clearest screen i have ever looked thru.
Only issue is -- i have added the mirrors on the bars. When riding they do not begin to bump the screen. When i move it around from a stop such as in my garage the screen needs to be up to mid point to avoid bumping against mirrors. Not a big deal for me but something you have to be aware of,
By the way - not sure how anyone can ride the RT without adding the mirrors!!
Much the same as I found with my screen, depending where I have the seat set.
However we disagree on the mirrors I have no major issues with them and are the clearest for vibration I have ever had on a bike.

Re sharp edges on screens. I read somewhere (on your own head be it if you try this) that a small blow torch quickly licked over the sharp edges removes them & makes any cuts change from white to clear.
e a brave person to try it tho.
hth
\v/
Geoff c likes this.

R1200r
(-\v/-)
post #33 of 77 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 5:09 am

Anyone heard if the 2010 RTs screen is better or the same as other years. Mine arrives in May.
post #34 of 77 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 9:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconspirit
Hi,
TIA
i have an 08 rt, put on a ztechnik and it really worked great. but the two arms that hold the windshields up cracked.
JT
post #35 of 77 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 11:31 am

What size ztechnik shield are you guys speaking of? And +1 on the RT mirrors, They don't bother me at all!
post #36 of 77 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 3:16 pm

I've the small one but it works for me

I mainly ride with it either on the stops or raised 2" (stop sniggering at the back)

I wonder if JT & others who have broken screen arms ride with larger screen and raised more so it's under a lot more pressure? JT?

I do have a couple of stronger ones I bought from a chap in the USA (might be off this site or one of the others, I can't recall without checking PM's).

I've not fitted mine yet, may just carry them on tours JIC I need to swap em out.
\v/

R1200r
(-\v/-)
post #37 of 77 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 4:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have a Ztechnik on my '08 and really like it for all of the reasons mentioned. I also added the RS mirrors and experienced the same issue (not really a problem) as mentioned before; the mirrors will touch the windshield when in the full down position if the bars are turned to the full lock position. As for the stock windshield mounting arms; they are known to be weak and have a history of breaking. I have a set of heavier duty arms which I will put on at a later time.
post #38 of 77 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 5:41 pm

At this very moment I am trying to pick between either the Ztechnik or the Calsci for my 08RT;

I spoke with Richard with Calsci this afternoon and he recommended a large for my size (6', 32" inseam) and location (Michigan).

Just got my Russell Day long and its set in the "low" position.

Any input from riders about my height/inseam with either screen will be Greatly Appreciated!

THANKS,
post #39 of 77 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 6:44 pm

Cal Sci recommended the Medium size for me (6'3", 34" inseam) and, surprisingly, were almost recommending the Short (Small?) size. Having now installed their Medium, I think their recommendation was a good one. I never raise the Medium more than about 30% and find it's way more "protective" than the stock windshield - so protective in fact that I just reinstalled the stock shield for summer riding.

Another big difference is in fuel economy - I think the Cal Sci costs me about 4 mpg.

'08 R1200RT
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'05 R1200GS (gone)
'73 R75/5 (long gone)
post #40 of 77 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 7:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE
At this very moment I am trying to pick between either the Ztechnik or the Calsci for my 08RT;
I spoke with Richard with Calsci this afternoon and he recommended a large for my size (6', 32" inseam) and location (Michigan).
Any input from riders about my height/inseam with either screen will be Greatly Appreciated!
THANKS,
I'm 5'11", 32" inseam, 34" arms, long torso. Standard seat in low position. MotoTechniques bar risers (which I may remove soon). Standard seat.

Before:
I originally had a ZTechnik in the standard height, but was a little unhappy with it. In order to get into the quiet zone I had to raise it above 3/4 high. But at that level the buffetting started. So I get "quiet" while being smacked around the head a bit. Suboptimal.

Today:
I too recently received my Russell daylong. I'm still breaking it in, but I'm now about 1" higher than before (in low position). But I knew that. So... I bought a ZTechnik tall a few weeks ago. It's what I should have bought in the first place.

With the Russell in the low position I can raise the ZTechnik tall about 1/3-1/2 the way up and be in the cone of silence, yet still look over the top by several inches. And higher is unnecessary. At full extension I look through the shield and get a bit of buffeting.
post #41 of 77 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 11:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semio
I'm 5'11", 32" inseam, 34" arms, long torso. Standard seat in low position. MotoTechniques bar risers (which I may remove soon). Standard seat.

Before:
I originally had a ZTechnik in the standard height, but was a little unhappy with it. In order to get into the quiet zone I had to raise it above 3/4 high. But at that level the buffetting started. So I get "quiet" while being smacked around the head a bit. Suboptimal.

Today:
I too recently received my Russell daylong. I'm still breaking it in, but I'm now about 1" higher than before (in low position). But I knew that. So... I bought a ZTechnik tall a few weeks ago. It's what I should have bought in the first place.

With the Russell in the low position I can raise the ZTechnik tall about 1/3-1/2 the way up and be in the cone of silence, yet still look over the top by several inches. And higher is unnecessary. At full extension I look through the shield and get a bit of buffeting.
We are damn near identical in stature. 5 11 or so 32" but I wear a 35" shirt sleeve. I also have Moto techniques barbacks & ride the standard seat on an ESA bike in the low position. But I just installed Surban-Mach peg lowering kit to get my knees down.

Still have the stock screen and get wind on my upper arms & shoulders and just a slight buffeting on top of my helmet.

I was considering the tall Ztechnik. Is it also wider the the stock screen?

Do you thik it is going to too warm in the summer? Are you repalcing the Screen struts?
post #42 of 77 Old Apr 7th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE

THANKS,
Part of the issue with the Cal Sci, I would assume from the stories of folks who have had thier's crack is that it is not a double curvature like the stock screen and some others. Seems like that would really stress the attaching apparatus.

Plus I think Polycarbonate is a superior material to acrylic in many ways.
post #43 of 77 Old Apr 8th, 2010, 6:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
I was considering the tall Ztechnik. Is it also wider the the stock screen?
Yes, both are, mostly at the top. Here are the shapes of both, with differences between standard Z2402 and tall Z2403 screens. Z2402 is the same height as OEM in the center, but wider on each side. Z2403 is about 2" taller and has a 1.5" notch cut out of the bottom center.

None of these screens are beautiful. But then neither is the RT. I believe the lines fit with the overall style of the bike.

Quote:
Do you thik it is going to too warm in the summer?
Probably. When the screen is all the way down my entire helmet is in the wind stream. My shoulders and arms are not. The bar risers allow more air over the tops of my hands.

I ride with a semi-mesh Halvarssons armored safety jacket in the summer. We'll see how it works in muggy Ohio come July.

I'm keeping the OEM screen for now in case this is a serious problem.

Quote:
Are you repalcing the Screen struts?
Yes, I just haven't installed them yet. But .. there are many fewer reported incidents of strut breakage on the ZTechnik screens compared to Cee Baileys and some other screens. I'm still going to do it soon just to be safe.
Geoff c likes this.
post #44 of 77 Old Apr 8th, 2010, 8:45 am

Before a recent 1,200 mi. trip with my new Cal Sci installed, I replaced those support arms. To do that job I had to remove several fairing screws and move some panels around for access - not particularly difficult. But, while I was in there, I noticed that I had almost decent access to the right side headlamp housing so I put a new (12K mi.?) H7 bulb in there before I buttoned everything back up. Regarding the arms, I didn't have any problem with the factory arms but I have read on these forums that it's not unusual for them to break with bigger windshields mounted.
Geoff c likes this.

'08 R1200RT
'04 R1150RT (gone)
'05 R1200GS (gone)
'73 R75/5 (long gone)
post #45 of 77 Old Apr 9th, 2010, 3:16 pm

Have been running Ztechnik on my 06 RT for the last few years and have been very happy. A few of my BMW pals have Parabellum shields on various models and swear by them. Shortly after buying my RT in the fall of 06 I contacted Parabellum but they did not have a shield yet developed for my bike. They asked for my e-mail and said they would contact me when they R and D'd one and a few months ago I got an e-mail out of the blue from them saying they had RT shields in produstion and for sale. I ordered one, have picked it up but haven't put it on my bike yet. I am quite optomistic about this shield due to Parabellum's reputation. I will report back soon after testing myself.

Glenn

http://www.parabellum.com/
post #46 of 77 Old Apr 9th, 2010, 3:36 pm

FYI -- Here is Parabellum's shield:

It appears very similar in approach to the CalSci, except with no notches or cutouts.

GMG12RT - please do keep us apprised of your experience with the Parabellum shield. They have a long history of experience with BMWs and windshields. IIRC they were the first to add a pressure relief vent to the bottom of a windscreen. Curious that they didn't choose to add one to their R12RT shield... ?

It would be interesting to note the differences in performance between 'vented' and non-vented shields. Also let us know your dimensions (height, leg inseam, arm length, saddle position), as these have proven to be critically important when correctly sizing a shield.

post #47 of 77 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 7:45 pm

I had the dealer install the Z-technik Vstream before I even took delivery of my 2010 Rt. After test riding their demo a couple of times I quickly concluded that the stock windshield was too low and windy for me, plus it seemed to vibrate in the breeze. The Vstream is perfect for me. If I fully extend the shield it's slightly above my line of sight. But I normally ride with the shield just below eye lever. I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam.
Geoff c likes this.
post #48 of 77 Old Apr 25th, 2010, 9:34 am

Smile Re: Third Party Windshield for the R1200RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy-10rt
Anyone heard if the 2010 RTs screen is better or the same as other years. Mine arrives in May.

At the $499 price it should give you a lap dance.
Geoff c likes this.

2015 R1200GSA
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2014 Husky FE501
post #49 of 77 Old Apr 25th, 2010, 7:08 pm

I can't compare the 2010RT windshield to prior years, but it seemed inferior in general. That's why I got the Ztecknik VStream when I took delivery of my 2010RT. Huge improvement for me.
Geoff c likes this.
post #50 of 77 Old Apr 25th, 2010, 8:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzyck
I bought the first calsci windshield a little less than a year ago. When I bought it, it had glowing reviews for both performance and durability on an RT (IIRC, I saw some positive comments you had written about it, Steve). When I sent Mark the note about the windshield cracking, he had a new windshield coming immediately, no questions. Great customer service, but he didn't seem surprised by the problem. I did a web search recently and found where there were some others that were also having the same problem.

When I compare the calsci windshield to the CB or the stock screen, I notice two things.

a) The drill through on the calsci is much rougher and less polished than the other windshields, particularly the counter sink on the surfaces.

b) The two center holes are closer to the center line of the bike than on the other windshields. That results in the screw standoff on the windshield mount for the center screw pressing very tightly against the outer edges of the center windshield mounting hole.

I wonder if calsci isn't having quality control issues with the recent RT windshelds (maybe other models as well). The three things that come to mind for me are:

1) They changed vendors for the plastic and the new plastic is somehow more brittle.

2) They changed the vendors that are drilling the windshields and the pattern being used is enough different to create a problem.

3) They either changed tooling or are using old tooling that creates a problem cutting that center hole.

The other obvious possibility is that I screwed up the installation. Initially, I was open to that possibility, but it's happened on three different calsci screens. I've had the stock windshield on and off several times with no problem and I haven't had any problem with the CB windshield I used to replace the calsci. If it was an install issue, why no problem with the other brands?
From what I've read the shileds are laser cut so i don't think the tooling is the problem but the cuts in your pics do look rough.

The installation instructions note not to install the shield if the night temp drops below 50F or it could crack. It will form to shape after a few days (temps permitting) Oh well, guess I'll find out.
Geoff c likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.