2014 RT 20,000 km service - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 19th, 2017, 1:27 pm Thread Starter

2014 RT 20,000 km service

I phoned my dealer to get my 2014 RT in for 20,000 service and was told that I could not get an appointment before June 15th. I have never had a problem getting an appointment before, although I realize this is a busy time of year. I was also told i would also have to bring it the day before and leave it over night to allow for cooling to adjust valves. Other times, all I ever had to do was get to the dealer early in the morning to allow for cooling prior to a 1:00 pm start, but that was on my 2010 RT. I am not sure on the cool down requirement for the RTW, but I thought that they were different and did not require cooling. I may have dreamed that. I also asked if I could go over the 20,000 km's by a few hundred km's and was advised that it was a "difficult question to answer" and that the bike required service at 20,000 km's due to warranty. They were basically saying don't go over 20,000 or my warranty might be voided. I have never had to do this before and was always told that a few hundred km's over was ok. I don't have any other dealers within 400 miles, so going elsewhere is difficult. I could not get this service done last fall for the same reason, a one month wait for service and winter set in before I could get there. Anyone ever run into issues like this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 19th, 2017, 2:59 pm

Re: 2014 RT 20,000 km service

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeljunkie View Post
I phoned my dealer to get my 2014 RT in for 20,000 service and was told that I could not get an appointment before June 15th. I have never had a problem getting an appointment before, although I realize this is a busy time of year. I was also told i would also have to bring it the day before and leave it over night to allow for cooling to adjust valves. Other times, all I ever had to do was get to the dealer early in the morning to allow for cooling prior to a 1:00 pm start, but that was on my 2010 RT. I am not sure on the cool down requirement for the RTW, but I thought that they were different and did not require cooling. I may have dreamed that. I also asked if I could go over the 20,000 km's by a few hundred km's and was advised that it was a "difficult question to answer" and that the bike required service at 20,000 km's due to warranty. They were basically saying don't go over 20,000 or my warranty might be voided. I have never had to do this before and was always told that a few hundred km's over was ok. I don't have any other dealers within 400 miles, so going elsewhere is difficult. I could not get this service done last fall for the same reason, a one month wait for service and winter set in before I could get there. Anyone ever run into issues like this?
I am up to 70,000km on mine and not once have I been asked to leave it there. When they did the 20,000 service I brought it in at 8am, went shopping for the day and picked it up ready to go around 3pm. Only thing I queried was the plugs lasting only 20,000km before being replaced but they told me it was be cause the RT runs so lean the plugs take a hammering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous Bikes:

Honda VFR800 2011
Honda VFR1200 2012
post #3 of 8 Old May 19th, 2017, 4:01 pm

I had mine done in April, at 23K approx. I had done an oil change @18K so oil was still good to go for a while. They did ask me to bring it in the day before but they kindly lent me a loaner '17 RT to ride while they were working on mine. All I had to do was fill the tank of whatever fuel I used. I'm about 100 km away from my dealer.

There was no mention whatsoever of guarantee issue.
The tech did all the maintenance (oil, brakes, final drive, etc.) and checks, no issues or adjustments necessary. All in about 3 hours.
Checking the valves is just preventive maintenance. From what I understand, few wetheads require adjustment at the first 20K. Modern metallurgy and liquid cooling have had a large impact on maintenance requirement.

post #4 of 8 Old May 19th, 2017, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM55 View Post
I had mine done in April, at 23K approx. I had done an oil change @18K so oil was still good to go for a while. They did ask me to bring it in the day before but they kindly lent me a loaner '17 RT to ride while they were working on mine. All I had to do was fill the tank of whatever fuel I used. I'm about 100 km away from my dealer.

There was no mention whatsoever of guarantee issue.
The tech did all the maintenance (oil, brakes, final drive, etc.) and checks, no issues or adjustments necessary. All in about 3 hours.
Checking the valves is just preventive maintenance. From what I understand, few wetheads require adjustment at the first 20K. Modern metallurgy and liquid cooling have had a large impact on maintenance requirement.
Where are you located? So, you went 3000 km's over 20000 km before getting the 20000 service? Might be worth me driving somewhere else if i can go that far past the so called limit.

post #5 of 8 Old May 19th, 2017, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Where are you located? So, you went 3000 km's over 20000 km before getting the 20000 service? Might be worth me driving somewhere else if i can go that far past the so called limit.
I'm in Quebec. My dealer is in Drummondville, Carrier BMW.

IMO, valves checks aren't critical. No need to worry, they need to be checked, just in case...
I'm not saying that you should skip the check but believe that changing your oil is more of an issue than checking the valves, if it has been in your engine for more than a year or 10K. I had the 10K done at 9K when it needed new tires. I changed the oil again at about 18 - 19K.
post #6 of 8 Old May 20th, 2017, 8:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The cool down time should be the same as earlier model, but if you really think about it, it should be faster with your new wethead which runs cooler than the earlier models! Going over the maintenance mileage limit SHOULD not be an issue, but it is strictly up to interpretations should you need warranty works done! Heck, my 600 miles maintenance wasn't done until 1,000+ miles because of dealer scheduling issues! I did all the rest myself, and typically I would do them around when they are due or a little earlier. From pure technical side, there is nothing wrong with going a few 100s km over the maintenance level at all.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #7 of 8 Old May 20th, 2017, 8:57 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
The cool down time should be the same as earlier model, but if you really think about it, it should be faster with your new wethead which runs cooler than the earlier models! Going over the maintenance mileage limit SHOULD not be an issue, but it is strictly up to interpretations should you need warranty works done! Heck, my 600 miles maintenance wasn't done until 1,000+ miles because of dealer scheduling issues! I did all the rest myself, and typically I would do them around when they are due or a little earlier. From pure technical side, there is nothing wrong with going a few 100s km over the maintenance level at all.
Good point about the cool down time for water cooled.

I am about 1.5 to 2 hours from dealer and previously I would leave home around 6 am, arrive there at 8 and they would either do other service work on the bike first and leave the valve adjustment until last, or not start on the bike until 3 to 4 hours later. And, like you, i was always over the recommended mileage for service, and often by at least 500 to 800 miles. Never a problem before. This dealership has had some new people on the service counter and I haven't had any kind of relationship with them as I had with the prior service manager who was very knowledgeable and friendly. The guy I talked to yesterday didn't seem to know much as he kept saying he would have to check into it and call me back. If it wasn't so far I would go to Quebec, or to MAX BMW in NH as it is actually closer to me than Quebec, but our Canadian dollar is not so good vs the US dollar right now and costs would be 35% higher, although it might be worth it.

post #8 of 8 Old May 20th, 2017, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM55 View Post
I'm in Quebec. My dealer is in Drummondville, Carrier BMW.

IMO, valves checks aren't critical. No need to worry, they need to be checked, just in case...
I'm not saying that you should skip the check but believe that changing your oil is more of an issue than checking the valves, if it has been in your engine for more than a year or 10K. I had the 10K done at 9K when it needed new tires. I changed the oil again at about 18 - 19K.
Thanks. Unfortunately the distance from here to Drummondville is about 750 kms, too far for me. Even in Quebec city area, it is about 650 kms. Max BMW in New Hampshire is closest at 600 kms, but our $ is so low right now it makes it expensive. I emailed my salesman to complain and await a reply before I decide. My warranty is up this fall anyway, maybe I should just drive it for the next month, get the service done and worry about warranty if and when something might happen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.