Upgrade 2010 Handbrake and Clutch? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old May 19th, 2017, 1:18 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Upgrade 2010 Handbrake and Clutch?

So I hate the big wobbly fluid reservoirs on the clutch and brake handles. Have the handle bar diameter changed for the newer ('13~) bikes? Any reason I couldn't put the updated clutch and brake controls on my 2010? Anyone know if they run the same size banjo?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 19th, 2017, 5:32 pm

Re: Upgrade 2010 Handbrake and Clutch?

Diameters look the same on MaxBMW's fiche.

The older you get, the more you know and the less you need.

1966 - Lambretta LD 150
1968 - Triumph Tiger Cub
1969 - BSA Shooting Star 500
1977 - Honda Superdream 250
1980 - Honda CX500
1995 - Yamaha VX1100
2011 - BMW R1200RT SE
post #3 of 6 Old May 20th, 2017, 7:49 am

Scurvy...
Not certain I understand all that you wrote.

Wobbly fluid containers?? If yours "wobble"- there is something going on. I have had a long series of BMW's and none of them have ever has wobbly fluid containers, and to directly answer your quest... No, to my knowledge there has not been a change of diameter in the handlebars.

I do recall one time that I wanted to modify the angle of the containers/levers on one of my other RT's. I Soon discovered they would not rotate on the bars. Investigation revealed there are pins between the bar and the housings such that they are designed so that they will not rotate to other positions. I looked to me like I could remove the hardware and remove/modify the pin arrangement.... which I decided not to do.

Makes me curious if some previous owner did that process. Take a very close look at the various screws/bolts used to hold the hardware and see if you detect that they have been fussed with. If there is such evidence you might want to remove one side or the other and see if some P.O. has modified the hardware.

Next... what is this "updated clutch and brake controls" you reference? Curious what the problem is that you are trying to fix?

I suggest a detailed scan of the various parts fiche diagrams available on the web...

I also suggest a chat with the Service guys at a dealership. They can be very helpful in things. If that is a strike-out call the guys at Beemer Boneyard. They have a lot of experience too.

2014 R1200RT WC

"It can prove difficult to reason with desire."

post #4 of 6 Old May 20th, 2017, 11:03 am

Garage

So I agree with Scurvy. The 05 to 09 have nice sanitary looking reservoirs that have smooth lines not much higher than the handlebars. The '10 to '13's have these ugly reservoirs sticking up above the bars that do wobble a little. I like the earlier ones better but not willing to spend much to change them.
Brown Dog
post #5 of 6 Old May 20th, 2017, 11:38 am

The 2014-onward RT has solid machined clutch and brake reservoirs (as Scurvy says) integrated into the lever mechanisms and very much streamlined into the design of the handlebars. The earlier reservoirs stand proud above the handlebar and actually do wobble since they are on a rubber bed. It does look like they can be replaced and would look neater. Unless the newer ones were taken from a doner bike the cost might be prohibitive.

The older you get, the more you know and the less you need.

1966 - Lambretta LD 150
1968 - Triumph Tiger Cub
1969 - BSA Shooting Star 500
1977 - Honda Superdream 250
1980 - Honda CX500
1995 - Yamaha VX1100
2011 - BMW R1200RT SE
post #6 of 6 Old May 20th, 2017, 3:34 pm

Check the parts fiche at realoem.com and MaxBMW. Cross referencing the lever assembly part numbers shows no overlap between the hexhead, camhead and wethead. The lever assemblies run (very roughly) $500 per side. The switch housings are different shapes, so you'll need new switches also, so add at least ~$400 for the left side, and ~$200 for the right. And you can be pretty sure that the wiring harnesses will not match up.

If the appearance and shaking are that bothersome, you would be better off with a different bike.

Larry
2006 R1200RT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.