BMW Motorcycle Fuel Pump Bypass Cable - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By corrcullen
  • 1 Post By lkraus
  • 1 Post By Joe's '06 RT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 17th, 2017, 7:54 am Thread Starter

BMW Motorcycle Fuel Pump Bypass Cable

Was thinking of buying a BMW Motorcycle Fuel Pump Bypass Cable for my 2007 R1200RT as a precaution in case of a failure when am touring.
I was wondering if it is safe to plug it into the accessory socket, considering it only allows 5 amps?
I wondering if the fuel pump draws more than 5 amps?

https://burnsmoto.com/products/bmw-m...p-bypass-cable

Advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 17th, 2017, 8:11 am

Re: BMW Motorcycle Fuel Pump Bypass Cable

As I did, I just purchased a new one, installed it, and threw the old one in the side case. Or, you can buy a new one and store it in your side case for when and if the old one goes out. If the old one breaks, I cannot see the purpose of installing the bypass cable (spending funds) and then having to buy (more funds) a new fuel pump controller.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old May 17th, 2017, 8:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrcullen View Post
Was thinking of buying a BMW Motorcycle Fuel Pump Bypass Cable for my 2007 R1200RT as a precaution in case of a failure when am touring.
I was wondering if it is safe to plug it into the accessory socket, considering it only allows 5 amps?
I wondering if the fuel pump draws more than 5 amps?

https://burnsmoto.com/products/bmw-m...p-bypass-cable

Advice appreciated.
You can do what Mike suggest, or if you search this forum, in the RT section, you will find plenty of data of what and how to prep, without buying that cable! I had my '07 wired up ready to go, in the event that the FPC ever died, but never had to use it.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

post #4 of 17 Old May 17th, 2017, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Fair point, that is my other option, just more expensive.
I think I'll just buy a new controller!
beech likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old May 17th, 2017, 9:10 am

My toolkit includes about four feet of 16 gauge wire, four Posi-Taps, and a printed copy of the attached wiring reference, which is also stored on my phone. Together, I should be able to rig a bypass using the existing wiring, but without cutting up my wiring harness. The parts are cheaper than the burnsmoto jumper, take up a little less room than the jumpers I've seen and have alternate repair uses.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FPC Bypass.pdf (39.8 KB, 39 views)

Larry
2006 R1200RT
post #6 of 17 Old May 18th, 2017, 7:56 am

There are (were) many references to guide you in making a FPC bypass cable at home. Not a big deal. Google will find them and maybe Youtube....

But I digress... Take the left side tupperware off and look at your fuel tank and the area around the FPC. The issue was/is cracks in the flange "thingy" (sorry for the technical term).. but if its cracked or leaking or smells of fresh fuel go to the dealer. I think there is/was a program or maybe Service Bulletin on the matter with free repairs... heck, you can even use the phone and call them.

or am I imagining all this? I am pretty sure I had a tiny crack in the collar of my '05 and that the dealer fixed it chop-chop... no charge.

2014 R1200RT WC

"It can prove difficult to reason with desire."
post #7 of 17 Old May 18th, 2017, 10:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz View Post
There are (were) many references to guide you in making a FPC bypass cable at home. Not a big deal. Google will find them and maybe Youtube....

But I digress... Take the left side tupperware off and look at your fuel tank and the area around the FPC. The issue was/is cracks in the flange "thingy" (sorry for the technical term).. but if its cracked or leaking or smells of fresh fuel go to the dealer. I think there is/was a program or maybe Service Bulletin on the matter with free repairs... heck, you can even use the phone and call them.

or am I imagining all this? I am pretty sure I had a tiny crack in the collar of my '05 and that the dealer fixed it chop-chop... no charge.
Thanks Hopz, I always appreciate reading your advice & helpful comments on this forum.
The fuel pump flange, which can crack is a separate weakness in that area, I have the collar fitted over it, so that precaution is already taken.
The failure of the controller on top of the pump seems to be reasonably common, from what I have read.
It suffers from corrosion if water gets in, or is not monitored & kept clean.
I check it yearly, remove & clean it, as well as lubricating the seal, but was thinking of having a spare in case of failure.
post #8 of 17 Old May 18th, 2017, 10:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrcullen View Post
Thanks Hopz, I always appreciate reading your advice & helpful comments on this forum.
The fuel pump flange, which can crack is a separate weakness in that area, I have the collar fitted over it, so that precaution is already taken.
The failure of the controller on top of the pump seems to be reasonably common, from what I have read.
It suffers from corrosion if water gets in, or is not monitored & kept clean.
I check it yearly, remove & clean it, as well as lubricating the seal, but was thinking of having a spare in case of failure.
Since you do a lot of long rides, I do think that getting a new FPC would be the wise choice, in particular to ease your mind. Otherwise, making a bypass connection in an emergency on the road is very easy to do. I happened to opt for wiring power up to the general area, but you can easily tap into the main fuel pump circuit for the power and connect that to the pump-side of the FPC, in the event of failure. That's why Larry keeps a length of conductors and several posi-tap connectors as part of his toolkit! BTW, if you do get a new FPC, do make sure that it's the "improved" one, with the black powder-coated finish. DO keep the old one handy, on the bike for spare, since even the improved one are also known to fail!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #9 of 17 Old May 18th, 2017, 9:53 pm

The 5 amp thing only applies to the first couple years R1200RTs.

The system was upped to 10 amps by, I think 2007.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #10 of 17 Old May 19th, 2017, 9:44 am

Is the FPC something to concern yourself w/ on the waterboxer RTs? I'm reading references to older models so wonder about that.

2016 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Identical Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #11 of 17 Old May 19th, 2017, 10:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
Is the FPC something to concern yourself w/ on the waterboxer RTs? I'm reading references to older models so wonder about that.
Hi Noel, as far as I can see, there is nothing to concern yourself about wrt the Wetheads. Their track record seems impeccable (thus far)!
post #12 of 17 Old May 19th, 2017, 10:57 am

Are you wiring around one of the connectors on top of the tank? The dealer is installing a new pump assembly on my 06 RT right now and it's under warranty. Are both of these connectors on top of the tank?

2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #13 of 17 Old May 19th, 2017, 12:42 pm

There is a nice illustrated FPC replacement guide here: R1200RT (all years) FPC Replacement Mini-Guide - BMWSportTouring Forums

The one in the pictures is newer black one, the early silver ones are the most troublesome. The FPC regulates fuel pressure by controlling the pump (I think it slows the pump by reducing the voltage, but it may just cycle the pump on and off). When the controller fails, the bypass is a temporary measure to provide constant power to the pump at the blue connector under the controller.

If the dealer replaces the fuel pump, they will transfer the FPC to the new pump, as the controller is a separate part and not included in the recall.
rattler50 likes this.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
post #14 of 17 Old May 19th, 2017, 1:57 pm

So, if I have this right, in order to bypass the FPC you wire the blue plug underneath into the black plug on top to make the pump work. Is this a common failure and would it be wise to carry a spare?

2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
post #15 of 17 Old May 20th, 2017, 7:02 am

I was on a trip last year with a few guys and one rider on a new-to-him '08 RT had an FPC failure. He had a new GS911 along but no jumper or spare FPC. Eighty mile tow back home, thanks AAA!

The rider with the failed FPC bought two pre-made harnesses that connect to SAE connector and gave me one for my '06. I bought two used eBay FPCs that bench-tested good so we both have a spare.

My take on it is if you do not wire in a harness that can be activated without removing plastic, carry a spare FPC. Swapping-out an FPC on the side of the road is a less than thirty minute job.

All that said, I carry both my spare FPC and the harness. I know the odds of needing both are very low, but I've got them in my travel kit.

Joe
rattler50 likes this.

Last edited by Joe's '06 RT; May 20th, 2017 at 7:18 am.
post #16 of 17 Old May 21st, 2017, 10:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's '06 RT View Post
I was on a trip last year with a few guys and one rider on a new-to-him '08 RT had an FPC failure. He had a new GS911 along but no jumper or spare FPC. Eighty mile tow back home, thanks AAA!

The rider with the failed FPC bought two pre-made harnesses that connect to SAE connector and gave me one for my '06. I bought two used eBay FPCs that bench-tested good so we both have a spare.

My take on it is if you do not wire in a harness that can be activated without removing plastic, carry a spare FPC. Swapping-out an FPC on the side of the road is a less than thirty minute job.

All that said, I carry both my spare FPC and the harness. I know the odds of needing both are very low, but I've got them in my travel kit.

Joe
In reference to your mention of the GS-911.............is that needed to diagnose an FPC failure? Or could you do it with a test light?

2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
post #17 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2017, 1:54 pm

I'll bet a simple circuit test light would work IF you knew a good starting point; if I remember correctly the GS911 indicated a fuel pump failure. Photo is the towing rig sent by AAA: modified Chevy Caprice wagon with shop-made trailer was awesome!

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3044.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	126505  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.