2016 RT windshield bracket - is this still an issue ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By realshelby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 20th, 2017, 2:52 am Thread Starter

Garage
Question 2016 RT windshield bracket - is this still an issue ?

I have an Aeroflow extra tall windshield in the mail. Obviously the stress on the brackets will increase as the windshield is now significantly bigger. I have read about the the previous model needing the windshield brackets replaced.

Is this still an issue on current models ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 20th, 2017, 7:54 am

Re: 2016 RT windshield bracket - is this still an issue ?

I have quite a few customers running 28" tall screens with no reports of any issues with any of the hardware.

I run a 26" tall screen and have tested ( closed course and all that...) it well over 100 mph and actually raised and lowered it repeatedly at those track tested speeds! Works fine.

I have yet to hear of a problem with the linkage on any forums so far. We would have know about them by now. There has been a couple of noisy linkages reported, but a bit of lube fixes that.
Nil_Time and BrzIRT like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 20th, 2017, 9:10 am

Garage

As I was working my way through the manual there is mention of being careful with after market screens on the bike because of their weight.

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 20th, 2017, 9:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

The 2014-2017 R1200RT windshield support arms, below, seem sturdy enough to not have to be replaced. The arms on previous R1200RTs were thinner and prone to breakage when using larger aftermarket windshields.

Regarding earlier oilhead RTs: Below: Some owners have seen their windshield arms break. It happened to me on an R1150RT in Vermont. Now there is a solution for R1200RT owners, the West Tool windshield support arms, below, which I installed on the 2007 R1200RT in January 2013. The instructions state, 15 minute job. Perhaps this is true if you do not count collecting all the needed tools and you have done it a dozen or so times before. Otherwise, allow an hour.

Jeff Dean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tucson, AZ -- formerly Madison, WI
BMW MOA #115; VBMWMO #2
'15 and '17 R1200RTs, '69 R60US,
'67 R60/2 (x3), '55 R67/3, '49 R24

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.