Air Transport Insurance Thoughts? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By badog
  • 1 Post By Rainman48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 18th, 2017, 1:38 am Thread Starter

Air Transport Insurance Thoughts?

I have now known 3 people who have been air lifted from bike accidents over several years. The most recent just received a bill for the short helicopter ride of $52k. She claims insurance can be had that would have covered air lift for a few hundred bucks annually.

Any experience here on policies, coverage areas, costs, etc? I would guess to have nation wide coverage in the US, you wouldn't want coverage from a specific service provider, but rather a policy that would cover whoever was sent out in an emergency?

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
2007 KTM 300XC-w
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90
& 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 18th, 2017, 6:09 am

Re: Air Transport Insurance Thoughts?

That must have been quite a helicopter ride! I remember a woman attacked by a polar bear in Churchill Manitoba and had to be flown to Winnipeg it resulted in a bill around $10,000 if my memory serves me right.

Gerhard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old Apr 18th, 2017, 6:24 am

Air ambulance service here in the UK is provided free as part of the National Health Service (though funded as a charity through donations).

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 18th, 2017, 6:26 am

Try this....

The IBA version of the website just says to reference the Iron Butt Association. https://www.medjetassist.com/ironbutt

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 18th, 2017, 7:04 am

I am currently a Medjet member. My membership expires soon and I am switching to Global Rescue. It is my understanding that Medjet will only pick you up from a medical facility once you are admitted and stabilized for travel. Global Rescue will pick you up in the field if necessary. That's the main difference and it's a big one.
tvguy and CWRoady like this.

2014 R1200RT
BMWMOA 28690
BMWRA 17724

post #6 of 13 Old Apr 18th, 2017, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
That must have been quite a helicopter ride! I remember a woman attacked by a polar bear in Churchill Manitoba and had to be flown to Winnipeg it resulted in a bill around $10,000 if my memory serves me right.

Gerhard
She said it was a 20 minute flight �� (Edit: looks like 32 miles?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3676.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	125433  

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
2007 KTM 300XC-w
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90
& 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

post #7 of 13 Old Apr 18th, 2017, 10:45 am

Wow, that is a bargain rate of only $391.78 per mile after the helicopter service charge of almost $39k.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 18th, 2017, 6:22 pm

Churchill is about 1,000 km (600 miles) from Winnipeg, I guess Canadian air ambulance rates are a real bargain. Here is a link to the article Erin Greene, polar bear attack victim, faces $13K in medical bills - Manitoba - CBC News

Gerhard

post #9 of 13 Old Apr 18th, 2017, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscadean View Post
Air ambulance service here in the UK is provided free as part of the National Health Service (though funded as a charity through donations).
We're not that shrewd over here I'm afraid. As Churchill was purported to have said, 'You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing after they have tried everything else.' I question his optimism. When it comes to 'health care', America is just plain stupid is as stupid does. From the fragmented, exceedingly expensive administrative overhead when you have hundreds of insurance plans instead of one clean true 'system', individual employers shopping for plans every fricking year or two and reeducating their employees, ad nauseum multiplied by the thousands of US employers who decide to offer health insurance, to the profit margins involved in not only insurance companies but drug companies big time, it's just plain idiotic. Americans are easily duped as well to put up with this nonsense.

OK sorry this is a moto forum--not another word!

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 18th, 2017, 10:48 pm

Back on topic, I have had a membership with Airlift Northwest out of the University of Washington. Airlift Northwest | UW Medicine

A household membership costs $79 a year or $155 for 2 years. It's a regional service that covers Washington State and Southeast Alaska, and offers reciprocal services with programs in neighboring states. This one includes "vacation" coverage for visitors in their area of coverage. I'm pretty sure there are other regional organizations across the US.

Given this is a motorcycle forum, you may be thinking of it in terms of travelling on your bike and perhaps having an accident, but it's broader than that. Anytime an EMT or officer calls for airlift assistance due to health or accident is reason enough to be covered considering the cost of transporting.

90% of the time, I'm in my region, so I'm fine with the coverage, but would really like something that covered me through the US and Canada, and should I travel further, I'd consider one of the international services.
CWRoady likes this.

'16 BMW R1200RT
'10 BMW S1000RR
'09 Suzuki DR650
'05 Honda RC51
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2017, 9:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman48 View Post
would really like something that covered me through the US and Canada
Exactly what I'm hoping to find. I sent an email of inquiry to Global Rescue per badog's post, so hopefully I get more info.

Chris

2015 BMW R1200RT
2007 KTM 300XC-w
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90
& 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

post #12 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2017, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRoady View Post
Exactly what I'm hoping to find. I sent an email of inquiry to Global Rescue per badog's post, so hopefully I get more info.
Looks like Global Rescue gets involved only if you are at least 100m from home or something along those lines. That, combined w/ local services as we have here in Chico CA (local hospital flight care plan that gets involved when they are the closest/fastest option to get to you, versus other EMS systems that might be closer to you) might be one way to cover most scenarios.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #13 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Smile Re: Air Transport Insurance Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
We're not that shrewd over here I'm afraid. As Churchill was purported to have said, 'You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing after they have tried everything else.' I question his optimism. When it comes to 'health care', America is just plain stupid is as stupid does. From the fragmented, exceedingly expensive administrative overhead when you have hundreds of insurance plans instead of one clean true 'system', individual employers shopping for plans every fricking year or two and reeducating their employees, ad nauseum multiplied by the thousands of US employers who decide to offer health insurance, to the profit margins involved in not only insurance companies but drug companies big time, it's just plain idiotic. Americans are easily duped as well to put up with this nonsense.

OK sorry this is a moto forum--not another word!
Don't worry. The U.K. Tory government is running the system down so that insurance-based private healthcare system will wither on the vine thus providing a two tier system with the best resources going into those who pay and the worst going to the poor who can't afford healthcare at all. Motorcyclists who have serious accidents will be asked - as in the US - for their credit card before treatment. A national system, 'free at the point of need, irrespective of the ability to pay', is a sign of a civilised society which asks all citizens to pay as a percentage of earnings. It's also half the cost per person per year than the US. Guess where the extra $3000 pp/py goes? CEO salaries of course. Better to have an accident in the UK I think. Or maybe not at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.