Closing a deal - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Motodan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

Closing a deal

Today I visited my local BMW bike shop and will be closing on a deal. It's a 2014 with 9000 miles and very clean. A question for you all, what should I look for? I'm new to BMW as I am trading in my Multistrada. Is there anything specific I should look for or ask the dealer about? Like I said the bike is super clean and near perfect condition. The bike in question is pictured below. Thanks for any input!Closing a deal-20170318_100645.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 19th, 2017, 2:03 am

Garage
Re: Closing a deal

2014 was the first year they released this model. There was a massive recall. You need to ask the dealer if those issues have been fixed. 2015s and later were OK.

Good luck.
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 19th, 2017, 7:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

BMW should have the recall info via VIN. Check it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 R1200RT
2008 Harley Davidson 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic
IBA No. 58411

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 19th, 2017, 8:27 am

Welcome to the BMW asylum... and I mean that in a good way... but I digress.

The '14 WAS the first year of the current series of the RT, but the basic engine was introduced a year or so prior on the '13 GS's. The '14 DID have a few issues but all of them were remedied and will be recorded in the service history. This history is available from the selling dealer and they should/will be happy to print that out and give it to you.

The prior post about the "massive" recall is technically true (in that all '14's were included)...but misleading to call it a Recall. As an owner of a '14 I can tell you that there was no recall. There WERE several things that were covered in Service Bulletins which in BMW-speak means the dealer fixed them when services were done. (Like the 600 mile check)

To my actual knowledge NONE of these were big deals. My bike had them There was an adjustment to the shift assist, and also one for a throttle position sensor or some such. There was a minor dust-up with some coolant seeps on A SMALL PORTION of the early bikes but that has either been fixed or placed on the ride it now and then determine later if a fuel pump needs to be replaced list. You can ask the Service Manager if the Coolant Pump has been replaced or not- but it does not really matter. If it seeps they will fix it or ask you to watch it.

If there is no indication in the record that THIS bike has had the fixes and updates the dealer ought to fix them for you before the sale- or at least promise to do so. I would take a big money bet that ALL services are now current and that the dealer can verify that for you.

By-the-way... a "recall" did not happen and was not needed. Recall is when the factory notifies owners of serious safety issues or alerts of catastrophic potential for failure... none of that has happened.

I suggest you talk all this out with your dealer... get the Service Manager to go over the service history on the bike if you can (not the salesperson).

2014 R1200RT WC

"The Dude abides"
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 19th, 2017, 9:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Errrr....Bob, you forgot the rear shock!!

In any case, wrt the rear shock, BMW really stepped up to the plate and issued a stop ride notice to all '14 RT owners and gave the US owners the option of having the shock replaced with new shock, or trade in for different model (with full refund value for the trade in, plus some bonus?), or the option that I took, which was to return the '14 RT to BMW for full refund, including paid sales tax! I then turn around and plunk the money down on my present '15 RT!

To answer the specific question of the OP, there really isn't anything to look out for. Just make sure that the rear shock has been taken care of, which I am very sure must have been done. The other thing that you might object to, or use as a bargaining point, is that if your '14 RT is one of the one that was sold back to BMW (absolutely nothing physically wrong with those), then for some states, the ownership paper might reflect the bike as being "salvaged", which may reflect negaitively when you go to resell the bike! Beside that, you will have a perfectly good RT and the model have virtually perfect track record, as Bob had pointed out.

Edit - just remember.....check with the dealer to make sure that the bike's firmware have been updated to the latest version!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 19th, 2017, 10:08 am

Not sure relationship between "Recall" and "DO NOT RIDE NOTICE". But early 14's had a DO NOT RIDE NOTICE till we figure it out and fix it - rear strut NOTICE, which in my mind supersedes any recall notification.. My '14 was transported flat-bed back to dealer where it sat till fixed...and all were to be "fixed" and hopefully they all were. I ended up selling mine back to BMW and it eventually found a nice home after the fix.
Al_B1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 R1200RT
MOA #46783
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 19th, 2017, 10:11 am

Great choice. I see a lot of "smile miles" on your horizon.

The switchgear (the electronic stuff on the left and right handlebars) might have been changed too. Some required left replacements. Some required right replacement. Some required both. I was told both of mine needed to be replaced but only the right side was affected. I couldn't tell the difference other than the new one wasn't dirty. I heard of a few people who had the kill switch act up on them prior to replacing but no reports of being stranded or anything like that.

As Pad referenced, the rear shock was replaced on a lot of 2014 models. While the communication from BMW was horrible, the end result was AWESOME. We were told to stop riding and if we were patient enough to wait a few months, they would give us a check for $2500.00. WINNER. WINNER. CHICKEN DINNER. (Of course it is only a RUMOR that some people kept riding the entire time. Ha ha)

Long story short (not really) I think the only regret you'll have is, Why didn't I do this YEARS ago? I'm at 38k miles and I'm still amazed at how many things this bike does so well.
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 19th, 2017, 2:30 pm

yo... Pad... my '14 was purchased rather late in the model year, but in any case I have not been alerted either verbally or via some form of "official" communication concerning a rear shock issue.

I will be visiting my dealer on Tuesday to confirm some/any/all of this.

Thanks (as usual) for the heads up.

Bob

2014 R1200RT WC

"The Dude abides"
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 19th, 2017, 6:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The DO Not Ride notice was a very big deal because it affected all bikes up to that point. It was a very low probability but serious consequence issue. I rode on anyway throughout the summer. I did the math and decided that the probability of a failure based on the numbers was about the same as the motor exploding. BMW wrote me a check for $2500 for keeping the bike, plus replaced the shock. I was happy.

2014 BMW R1200RT
2012 Honda VFR 1200 DCT (Dual Clutch)
2012 BMW K1600 GTL - Sold
2001 Goldwing GL 1800 - Sold
1989 Goldwing GL 1500 - Sold
post #10 of 11 Old Mar 19th, 2017, 11:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz View Post
yo... Pad... my '14 was purchased rather late in the model year, but in any case I have not been alerted either verbally or via some form of "official" communication concerning a rear shock issue.

Bob
If you bought yours anytime after June, 2014 the problem was corrected before you got your bike, so there would have been nothing for BMW to tell you.

The Do-Not-Ride notice was issued in early June of 2014, and affected about 8,000 Dynamic ESA equipped bikes worldwide, including about 800 in the U.S.
Dealers called customers, and BMW sent emails and letters to tell owners to stop riding the RTW immediately. All sales were stopped until the previously sold bikes and all existing stock received new shocks. I think it took about 3 months for sales to resume.

Copy of the initial letter to dealers.

Options offered to owners of bikes affected by the voluntary recall.

Larry
2006 R1200RT

Last edited by lkraus; Mar 20th, 2017 at 12:00 am.
post #11 of 11 Old Mar 20th, 2017, 8:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz View Post

Bob
As Larry pointed out, you must have bought your RT after the stop ride date, and the shock had already been replaced with the new one at the factory. Originally, even though I knew that I want to buy, I wasn't going to buy the wethead until 2015, but with all the excitement, I succumbed and got the '14 a little behind the leaders. I was also going to hold onto the '14 and get that $2,500 bonus, but quite frankly I wasn't too thrilled with that gray-blue color, and when I saw the San Marino blue of the '15, I changed my mind and gave the '14 back!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.