Waterproof moto dashcam. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 5:38 am Thread Starter

Waterproof moto dashcam.

With increased traffic and our increasingly litigious environment I feel a forward and rear facing camera similar to a car dash cam system might provide a useful addition to the bike. Has anyone fitted such a thing. If so are they useful? What model/make, etc.? I've got a GoPro but more often I leave it behind when riding because of the time consuming editing and uploading when I get back. Just wondered if a dash cam type product would be more sensible. Also, it would need to be hard wired into the battery - I don't want to keep taking it off to charge it or download video. I suppose what I'm looking for is similar to those used on MotoGP bikes but for the road.

The older you get, the more you know and the less you need.

1966 - Lambretta LD 150
1968 - Triumph Tiger Cub
1969 - BSA Shooting Star 500
1977 - Honda Superdream 250
1980 - Honda CX500
1995 - Yamaha VX1100
2011 - BMW R1200RT SE

Last edited by Iscadean; Mar 16th, 2017 at 5:48 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 7:31 am

Re: Waterproof moto dashcam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscadean View Post
With increased traffic and our increasingly litigious environment I feel a forward and rear facing camera similar to a car dash cam system might provide a useful addition to the bike. Has anyone fitted such a thing. If so are they useful? What model/make, etc.? I've got a GoPro but more often I leave it behind when riding because of the time consuming editing and uploading when I get back. Just wondered if a dash cam type product would be more sensible. Also, it would need to be hard wired into the battery - I don't want to keep taking it off to charge it or download video. I suppose what I'm looking for is similar to those used on MotoGP bikes but for the road.
I have several of the GoPro clones and the water proof boxes for them, one with access for water proof power feed. They both will record with external power but they behave differently when you plug in the power cord or apply power other than the battery. One will power up and be ready to record if you press the button but the other has to be powered on before the power cord is applied or it goes into charging mode only. Neither start recording automatically which would be a nice feature to be able to turn on. Both have a setting to overwrite if the card gets full. I wouldn't mind having one that would simply record when power was applied that I could leave on the bike. Just don't want to pay a small fortune for it. My battery died while riding and didn't record a young kid playing with a skateboard beside the road and lost control of it sending it out into the road in front of me while I was at 50mph with him following it. Would have loved to have that on camera.

Am interested in what others have that might fit this function for similar reasons as yours.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced
post #3 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 8:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscadean View Post
I am pretty sure that at least one member of this forum has this unit installed: INNOVV K1 Review - webBikeWorld

I haven't had any experience with it, and so I will wait for them to post. This has both forward and rear facing camera, and can record loops, which is exactly what you want without having to be concerned with filled memory card.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 8:51 am

I see the value in a dashcam for the bike, but have not yet found all the features I want.

The one that I like best is the Innovv K1.
Front and rear recording. Sharp pictures. Cameras small and easily tucked out of the way. Automatic recording in selectable chunks of time. Shock sensor triggers automatic saving of incidents. Decent results at low light levels. Records up to an hour while parked. GPS to optionally save speed / location.

There are two issues holding me back:
I'd like the option to use it as an "action" camera, and the sample videos I've seen are a little bit jerky. It's fine for a dashcam, and good enough so I can review my lines through some twisties, but not something I'd use to make a movie. I suspect this is caused by the K1 alternately saving front and rear frames. Maybe it could be configured to record front-only?

In the event of a hit & run, I think that the image of a license plate should be readable from more than a few feet. Most dashcams do not record a clear plate image, even at normal following distances in city traffic. Maybe when 4K cameras and fast processors become cheaper?

The technology I want is possible, I'm just waiting for it to be available and affordable, while realizing I am losing the considerable benefits that are available now.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 11:47 am

The Innovv K1 does look nice. Found a couple look alikes on Amazon but it is the Car version and not the Moto. Many of the reviews were not so good ( 24 - 28% 1 * ) on the look alikes and the Innovv K1 is not among them to compare. I know that there are more GoPro look alikes than you can shake a stick at and I have had 3 different ones and all look exactly the same but are different. Would be interested to know if these clones are made and re-branded by the Innovv company or whomever makes them for Innovv as if they are, the quality of what looks the same is not great and at a $199 to $259 price, I would expect some quality and reliability.

Have a look at these and the reviews. Everything looks the same except for the external cameras vs the internal non water proof. Lots of issues directly with what appears to be faulty GPS modules.

https://www.amazon.com/K1S-Camera-GP...+k1+motorcycle

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2KV19AYUKS3X0

Just posting these for comparison. Have no idea if they have the same innards.

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #6 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 2:23 pm

I had asked about the spy tec to innov and this is what i got back today..You and i are researching the same thing apparently

"The appearance of our K1 and spy tec K1s looks similar, but our K1 is mainly for motorcycle recording system.
Our product is unique.

You can find below video recorded by our K1 that shared by our customer for your reference. Thanks.
Motocam ? 915tx.com

"

Me personally I don't like how it handles bright direct light (purple artifacts)....so i will look at possible using their system with different cameras or just look for a spy cam or DVR recorder that allows 2 inputs

Also here is a post from another GS rider
http://www.r1200gs.info/forum/15-acc...e-dashcam.html

Last edited by Ihbond2; Mar 16th, 2017 at 2:58 pm.
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 16th, 2017, 3:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihbond2 View Post
I had asked about the spy tec to innov and this is what i got back today..You and i are researching the same thing apparently

"The appearance of our K1 and spy tec K1s looks similar, but our K1 is mainly for motorcycle recording system.
Our product is unique.

You can find below video recorded by our K1 that shared by our customer for your reference. Thanks.
Motocam ? 915tx.com

https://youtu.be/5tsgJpObQec "

Me personally I don't like how it handles bright direct light (purple artifacts)....so i will look at possible using their system with different cameras or just look for a spy cam or DVR recorder that allows 2 inputs

Also here is a post from another GS rider
Innovv K1 dual camera motorcycle dashcam - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
I will look at the video when I am not at work. I have seen many cameras display the purple artifacts when encountering a bright light. The only difference I see in the K1S and the K1 Moto is the cameras are made for outside and not inside and protected. I see no other difference in a side by side comparison unless the insides are different and that is possible. You didn't get a denial from Innovv though that it was not the same recorder unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dvr.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	123937  

Signature
Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
post #8 of 9 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 11:16 am

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA_________________2015 R1200RT
Garage

On one tip/trick page for bike camera's, I saw an issue mentioned that the lower portion of the screen can get dark because the camera is compensating for the bright light. What they did was just take some black tape and cover about the lower 1/3 of the camera lens. It made the bottom area of the camera actually brighter and the sky darker. This idea might help with the purple artifacts as well, if it isn't being over-driven with too much light.

Just a thought as I'm watching this thread...
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 19th, 2017, 1:58 pm Thread Starter

Lots of good things here so thank to you for your responses. It looks like the Innovv K1 hints at what I am looking for even if it's quality is not as good as my GoPro. But since my main aim here is to provide a safe, secure form of video recall in the event of an accident I will go for this as a first step ( note to self - stop watching those Russian dashcam videos of insane driving situations usually as a result of speeding or excess alcohol consumption). I looked at additional software called Racerender3 which overlays a range of performance fields such as speed, revs, GPS, etc. (See here -
) but this requires additional sensors perhaps. It's all interesting but technically beyond me.

The older you get, the more you know and the less you need.

1966 - Lambretta LD 150
1968 - Triumph Tiger Cub
1969 - BSA Shooting Star 500
1977 - Honda Superdream 250
1980 - Honda CX500
1995 - Yamaha VX1100
2011 - BMW R1200RT SE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.