BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Lowered rear brake lever on 2014+ RT

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Scubadoc 
#1 ·
I just installed foot peg lowering adapters on my 2016 RT. I now feel that I would like to lower the rear brake lever to improve function and fit. Are there options other than the $200 adjustable rear brake lever offered by Ilium? Thanks for your suggestions.

#2 ·
I will take a look at my '14 to see if the Brake Pedal looks like it is adjustable.

FWIW, I installed the Suburban Machinery Peg Lowering kit as the first option I added after I got her home.

I expected to need to adjust the brake and shifter positions but for some strange reason I did not and do not now think I needed to move anything.

My '05RT had the same lowering blocks (which moved to the Wet head easily.)

The '05 brake switch relocation was easy- just loosen the pinch bolt/screw and adjust the lever down one or two splines.... then... the more difficult part is re-setting the brake light switch. In my case the adjuster (on the '05) had to be moved to its last limit to accommodate the lowered peg. Not a big deal and in my case that was all it took. The shifter was a bit more mechanically complicated but no real big deal.

#3 ·
There is only a minor adjustment available on the brake lever. If you want more, you either have to shell out for the Ilium adjustable brake lever or acquire or fabricate a rear master cylinder offset as supplied by Wunderlich for their lowering pegs (see attachment). I've made due with the modest adjustment available in the stock setup (for now) but may eventually try to fabricate an offset before resorting to the Ilium lever.

Attachments

#4 ·
I realize that you want to avoid purchasing the Ilium adjustable rear brake lever, but it really comes down to how your now lowered foot peg can easily engage the brake lever. I found that after putting on the Ilium Sport Floorboards for comfort, I could no longer easily engage the brake lever as it was positioned way to high. I looked into the Wunderlich plate, but thought that it still would not offer enough of a difference. The Ilium adjustable brake lever is easy to install, and it is based on a cam spline which lets you adjust both forward and back as well as up and down. At $200, you may consider it expensive, but it is only <1% of the cost of your RT. If it makes braking faster, easier and safer, IMHO, it is well worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.