BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Does Seat Heater drain battery?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  bandytales 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I just bought a used r1200rt (2007). In the manual it mentions that the hand grips drain battery power. So my question is this: If I go on a short ride (with a full battery from a battery tender) with my hand grips on full and the same with my seat (but not the passenger seat), and if it is cold out (think Minnesota winter), will it drain the battery to the point where it will not start if it's left a couple of hours out in the cold before I ride it home?

Thanks for your answers

#2 ·
I have a 2007 Rt and I commute to work until it starts snowing.
I run with the heated grips, heated seat and heated jacket. ( I even add the heated gloves when it's below freezing)

I never had any issues with the bike starting again at the end of the day (10 hrs later)

Reactions: hopz and Dorfnarr
#5 ·
You may be thinking of the LT's alternator. My 08RT puts out 660 watts, not far off from your 720 figure. The 08 RT's put out 55amps at 4000K rpm, and 27amps at 1000K rpm. I found this information on a service disk that the previous owner of my RT purchased.

Reactions: beech
#12 ·
You can always shut off the seat and grip heater a mile or two before your destination. This will allow the battery to charge back up a bit, and it should have some residual heat to keep you warm. I ride down in the teens, and this is what I do. Never had a problem with my battery, even when running AUX lights as well. I do have a '15 though. But the concept should still benefit you.

#13 ·
Hi riff42.
What is the point? the Alternator is throwing out SO much power that fiddling around is just unnecessary a waste of time.
As an example, my 1150 is knocking out less power than the OP. I run with the 2 auxiliary fog lights, the dip beam, the Clearwaters, heated jackets, heated grips, local journeys, no battery tender and never had an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.