BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

GPS LOCK

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  MHTOUR 
#1 · (Edited)
I think this is the cleanest way I've seen if you want to lock it. Simple and very effective.

#2 ·
Yes that is the most elegant solution yet for this annoyingly absent engineering feature. For about $10 BMW could have utilized this same approach! It's a little hard to see exactly what's happening, and what it's actually doing to prevent the push button action from releasing Nav V. I wonder how many of them he buggered before the final solution was completed. Here's his final video:

Pretty cool color his RT :eek:)

#3 ·
Brilliant ! Much nicer that the new one that just came out from Wunderlich. The install on this one looks much more difficult though

#5 ·
Re: GPS LOCK, AGAIN!!!

Here is the link to the original development of this idea. It was posted over a year ago with pictures.

https://1200rt.com/index.php/topic,1325.0.html

I did this to my '14 RT almost 2 years ago. I used a different lock and reversed the cutout to the locking tab from the right side, next to the pushbutton to the left side because there is more support from the existing plastic that holds the GPS mount.

This is a great idea. Since then, I have come up with an even simpler idea which can be used in tandem or alone.

There are so many threads on this subject that it would be nice if the moderator could merge them together or somehow group them all in a separate thread.

here's the latest thread on this subject. Last post was last week.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/163177-kit-lock-satnav-rt.html

There is an easy and FREE way to keep your Nav from being easily removed. Just remove the pushbutton! Again, there is a post showing the backside of the mount and the pushbutton.

This is a little more difficult than it appears, but I will explain.
Remove the windshield (4 torx screws) and the two torx screws that hold on the cover panel above the Nav. do this carefully as to not damage the Nav button or the mounting tabs on the plastic cover panel. You will then have access to the Nav pushbutton.

There is a plastic spur on the button that keeps it from falling out of it's mount. Push it in to remove the button and file or shave down the spur so that it no longer will keep the button in place.

Now you can slide the button in and out and keep it in the lockable compartment on the RT fairing. Buy a suitable small black rubber stopper or PVC tubing cap at a hardware store and insert it into the button shaft hole. Shave down the two opposite sides to make if fit better and look like the original Nav button.

Alternative:
Leave the plastic spur intact and fabricate your own "pusher" shaft from a piece of plastic and store it in the locked glove compartment along with the NAV cover plate.

Save the original button so that you can return the bike to 100% stock by simply pushing the button back in through the open hole - it will slide in and lock in again and function just like it did when new.

The button shaft is quite long and gets rather thin at the point where it engages the release on the Nav Mount. So you would need a very thin screwdriver and since you can't see the release location, know exactly where to put it in order to release the lock.

Certainly, a dedicated thief will stop at nothing to get the Nav if they really want it but this makes it a great deal more difficult to remove since you have the "Key" (Button) located somewhere else.

If you mess it up, a new button is only a 8 bucks from BMW.

Works for me... and it's free!

There is much more info and searching the existing threads should provide answers all the questions.

Add: Wunderlich just came out with a really cludgy and expensive locking plate for the Nav that is about the worst implementation I have seen on the subject.

Attachments

#6 ·
Re: GPS LOCK, AGAIN!!!

Add: Wunderlich just came out with a really cludgy and expensive locking plate for the Nav that is about the worst implementation I have seen on the subject.
Push up on the end of that thing and you have a nav and the owner has a broken dash. I'm guessing it wouldn't take much since it provides you with that nice leverage sticking out.

#11 ·
Looking at the video that the OP posted does not provide much technical information as to how the keylock actually reaches the release mechanism inside the housing.

Having taken my tupperware off to get at the release mechanism I can only assume that the OP custom fabricated some type of metal "lever" that attaches to the new keylock that blocks the button from being pushed in. Seems very simple but I bet it took quite a bit of time to fabricate the lever as it would appear to me that the lever would need to have a couple of bends and angles to reach to the release button. So it looks to me like quite a bit of time spent with a vise and a hammer and some steel strips to customize a lever for that space - maybe even a welder or small press. Too bad the OP has not shared the step by step of what he did.

#13 ·
Thing is you put a screw driver in top or bottom of the GPS proper frame and pry up or down you only have to move it less then a 1/4" to pop it out of the top or bottom grooves it sits in. Look at those grooves top and bottom, only one side has to be pried out and it will fall into your hands

It just does not take long to pop it out and slip it in the case and throw it in your side bag or top case.

I liked the one at first glance but really it just gives more leverage to pry the GPS out.

I had my car broken into years ago and they did more damage to my dash and upholstery than what 20 of the head units were worth.

Like a convertible, take every thing with you or put it in the trunk and leave the doors open. Tops are very expensive to replace.

#14 ·
good point.....I actually just added the sw motech micro tank bag just for the occasion of getting off the bike and taking stuff with me when I'm fully loaded for trips. Also, I guess I won't drill a hole for something that is already out of style. I have 3 gps units now and two of them fit this bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.