TOURATECH COMFORT SEAT FOR BMW R1200RT 2014- On WC - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By EzyMount
  • 1 Post By PatM55

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

TOURATECH COMFORT SEAT FOR BMW R1200RT 2014- On WC

Hello,

Anyone have any experience with this seat? I am currently riding on the BMW "low" seat, which is a must given my inseam. Touratech has a low seat that is listed at .8" lower than stock. Anyone have one? Is the height similar to the BMW low seat? Comfort worth the money?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Frank
(a.k.a. Terabytes)
'16 R1200RT
'15 Road King - SOLD
'11 R1200RT - SOLD
'07 Roadliner S - SOLD
'05 Ocean Pacific Blue LT - SOLD
'05 VTX1800F - "Silver Streak" - SOLD
'03 R1150RS - SOLD
'00 R1200C - SOLD
Downingtown, PA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 12:34 am

Re: TOURATECH COMFORT SEAT FOR BMW R1200RT 2014- On WC

Yes, I put Touratech front seat on my RT, it is more firm. I chose the low. Made in Germany buy some guy I can't remember his name starts with a K. A superior seat. Factory seats are showroom seats, soft, great for 5 minutes at the dealers. Only Factory seat that worked for me is the low K13S seat. Put a sargent on my GS. I list these so you get the idea I like firm seats.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K13S & DR650 (gone through a few RT's)
R1200GS (2014)
S1000R
Mount Vernon Cannon Works
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech View Post
Yes, I put Touratech front seat on my RT, it is more firm. I chose the low. Made in Germany buy some guy I can't remember his name starts with a K. A superior seat. Factory seats are showroom seats, soft, great for 5 minutes at the dealers. Only Factory seat that worked for me is the low K13S seat. Put a sargent on my GS. I list these so you get the idea I like firm seats.
Thank you for the input, Beech! I find the Low Seat for the 2016 RT to be very firm, not soft like the standard seat might feel to some. I suppose the low seat had most of the padding removed, in addition to a different contour at the front of the seat, to help vertically challenged riders like me stand more flat footed. But I don't have much padding in my butt so after a few hours in the saddle, I wish I had something a bit more comfortable...

I suppose I was hoping to potentially find another seat that maintains the low stature while improving the comfort a bit. I guess that might be a oxymoron too difficult to overcome if the Touratech is equally as hard as the BMW low seat and what appears to be about a 1/4 inch taller...

Frank
(a.k.a. Terabytes)
'16 R1200RT
'15 Road King - SOLD
'11 R1200RT - SOLD
'07 Roadliner S - SOLD
'03 R1150RS - SOLD
'00 R1200C - SOLD
Downingtown, PA

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 11:36 am

For me comparing seats, all things are not equal. I use an Aerostitch one piece Roadcrafter most of the time and there is some substance to it. Makes seats different than if I were just wearing jeans. I think there is value if the aftermarket seat uses a bmw pan or a very good copy. Sargent seats use a superior copy.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K13S & DR650 (gone through a few RT's)
R1200GS (2014)
S1000R
Mount Vernon Cannon Works
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 12:16 pm

Touratech 'does not' yet offer a heated version..
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount View Post
Touratech 'does not' yet offer a heated version..
Ah excellent point, hadn't noticed! Thanks for pointing it out!!

Frank
(a.k.a. Terabytes)
'16 R1200RT
'15 Road King - SOLD
'11 R1200RT - SOLD
'07 Roadliner S - SOLD
'03 R1150RS - SOLD
'00 R1200C - SOLD
Downingtown, PA
post #7 of 13 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 3:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabytes View Post
Ah excellent point, hadn't noticed! Thanks for pointing it out!!
They will be available soon.
https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...eats-set-2017/
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Thank you, Pat!!
post #9 of 13 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 7:22 pm

They dont say anything about an interface to the factory BMW circuits or control system ?
Terabytes likes this.
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 18th, 2017, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount View Post
They dont say anything about an interface to the factory BMW circuits or control system ?
That is a good question.
Terabytes likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

Reached out to Touratech and their response is that they do not have a heated seat for the RT and "maybe" something could come later this year...

Frank
(a.k.a. Terabytes)
'16 R1200RT
'15 Road King - SOLD
'11 R1200RT - SOLD
'07 Roadliner S - SOLD
'03 R1150RS - SOLD
'00 R1200C - SOLD
Downingtown, PA
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 24th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Three things.

1. The gold standard for aftermarket saddles is arguably the Russell Day Long, which is custom made for each rider. Downside is it adds height. I took a ride on my friend's ST1300 (identical to mine but with a Russell) and it sure was comfortable but the added height was a deal killer for not-very-tall me, especially on a bike that's top heavy to begin with. That is why none of my bikes has had a Russell.

2. Consider is the Sargent World Sport Performance Plus. I tested standard and low height versions. Both add a little bit of height over their relative OEM seats. The standard height was too tall for me, even at the bike's LO setting, so I went for the low version which I usually have set in the HI position. I've got about 15k miles on the Sargent. I like it much more than the stock seat.

My review is here...will give you another option to consider.

3. Ever try an Alaska Butt Pad? A lot cheaper than a new seat. I have used one on my Honda ST1300 and Kawasaki Versys. I used it over my '14 RT's standard seat, which was an improvement. A sheepskin keeps your butt warmer when it's cold, and heat from the OEM seat will make its way through the sheepskin (albeit slower than without the sheepskin in place). The Medium fits the front seat on an RT. I use it on the RT on hot summer days because it keeps your butt cooler. https://alaskaleather.com/products/m...epskin-buttpad
post #13 of 13 Old Mar 12th, 2017, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBones View Post
Three things.

1. The gold standard for aftermarket saddles is arguably the Russell Day Long, which is custom made for each rider. Downside is it adds height. I took a ride on my friend's ST1300 (identical to mine but with a Russell) and it sure was comfortable but the added height was a deal killer for not-very-tall me, especially on a bike that's top heavy to begin with. That is why none of my bikes has had a Russell.

2. Consider is the Sargent World Sport Performance Plus. I tested standard and low height versions. Both add a little bit of height over their relative OEM seats. The standard height was too tall for me, even at the bike's LO setting, so I went for the low version which I usually have set in the HI position. I've got about 15k miles on the Sargent. I like it much more than the stock seat.

My review is here...will give you another option to consider.

3. Ever try an Alaska Butt Pad? A lot cheaper than a new seat. I have used one on my Honda ST1300 and Kawasaki Versys. I used it over my '14 RT's standard seat, which was an improvement. A sheepskin keeps your butt warmer when it's cold, and heat from the OEM seat will make its way through the sheepskin (albeit slower than without the sheepskin in place). The Medium fits the front seat on an RT. I use it on the RT on hot summer days because it keeps your butt cooler. https://alaskaleather.com/products/m...epskin-buttpad
Thanks for all the recommendations, very much appreciated. Given I cannot afford to add any height, I have decided to have my factory LOW seat recovered by KonTour seats: A Pain in the butt?

I had this done for a K1200LT that I owned years ago and in comparison to seats I have owned since then (Mustang, Corbin and Sargent) for various bikes, nothing has been more comfortable...

Check them out, you won't be disappointed!

Frank
(a.k.a. Terabytes)
'16 R1200RT
'15 Road King - SOLD
'11 R1200RT - SOLD
'07 Roadliner S - SOLD
'03 R1150RS - SOLD
'00 R1200C - SOLD
Downingtown, PA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.