Anyone else have issues with MP3 songs re-starting in random places? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 11:12 am Thread Starter

Anyone else have issues with MP3 songs re-starting in random places?

I listen to a ton of music, namely EDM, which can have 1-2hr long tracks. Sometimes, I've noticed that I'd seemingly be listening to the same song for a week of my daily commute.....
Well, apparently I am. It seems that when I stop the bike, and come back later, the MP3 doesn't pick up where it left off, but earlier in the track. Not the beginning of the song though....just like 10min earlier.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a common problem with all devices that read long MP3 tracks?
It would be nice if the wonder wheel scanned through songs, not just skips them.....then I don't really mind fast-forwarding the song to pick up where I left off :-/

It's a living....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Re: Anyone else have issues with MP3 songs re-starting in random places?

I haven't had that issue with my RT. I did previously have similar issues with tunes skipping, etc., on a Garmin Zumo 550. The issues were resolved by putting tunes into multiple folders rather than in the root drive of the SD card. Maybe that would help with the USB thumb drive in the RT? Just a thought.
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 14th, 2017, 8:34 am

This is not intended to be a hijack of the thread, but is there a limit to the number of tunes the system will play/access?

I loaded a group of several hundred of my tunes but the system automatically seemed to make a playlist of a sub-set of them. Funny thing is that as the audio player ended one song it flashes a title with the "RND 123" then displayed the actual title of the tune as it played. I thought I would get random plays through the entire stack of tunes-

does RND make a sub-set and play them repeatedly?

If I turn off RND will the system access all of the tunes... in other words is there a limit of the number of tunes?

2014 R1200RT WC

"The Dude abides"

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 14th, 2017, 9:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz View Post
This is not intended to be a hijack of the thread, but is there a limit to the number of tunes the system will play/access?

I loaded a group of several hundred of my tunes but the system automatically seemed to make a playlist of a sub-set of them. Funny thing is that as the audio player ended one song it flashes a title with the "RND 123" then displayed the actual title of the tune as it played. I thought I would get random plays through the entire stack of tunes-

does RND make a sub-set and play them repeatedly?

If I turn off RND will the system access all of the tunes... in other words is there a limit of the number of tunes?
First, let me comment on the OP's original question - I strongly suspect that nobody here, myself included, who has a single MP3 file that is more than a few minutes long, let alone more than an hour! I suspect that the issue described is unique to the file size.

Bob, I am not sure what algorithm the player use when in the "random" mode (RND), but it is supposed to play the files at random. So, when I select a given album, say the Beatle's White Album, and then turn on the RND mode (hold down the Mode button for several seconds) then the tracks will play in random order. However, if I did not do that, or turn the RND mode off, then the tracks will play in the order of the track number that is part of the ID3 tag header of the MP3 files that I kept talking about!

Is there a limit to the number of files? As far as I can tell, there seem to be no limits. I have all of my files stored and tagged in albums/folders, and presently I have a total of somewhere near 6,000 tracks in my storage. Why so many, as some might ask? Because I could, and the fact of the matter is that the type of music that I want to listen to, depends a lot on my mood for the moment, and that can range from heavy Bach to Pink Floyd, and a lot more in between!

BTW, the player don't create a play list, as far as I know, but you can create one, or several, and the player will give you the option to play them. I haven't done that myself though!

Oh, what songs the random mode will include in what it will play is dependent on the selection that you make. I gave the example of picking an album and then turning on the RND mode, and in that case the random playing will be of the tracks within that album. OTOH, if I had selected "ALL" songs, then the random play will apply to every single songs that you have on your storage device!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 14th, 2017, 10:55 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
...I suspect that the issue described is unique to the file size.

I have all of my files stored and tagged in albums/folders, and presently I have a total of somewhere near 6,000 tracks in my storage.
I don't have any experience with the factory radio, but I'd agree that this is probably related to the file size being so large. The system is probably suffering some sort of buffer overrun error in trying to create the bookmark of where it last was and ending up storing the wrong information.

As for the file storage, in my experience with all MP3 players, I've found that there are no limits for storage other than how much space it has, but the key to good performance is folders. If you dump 30GB of files on a player, all at the root directory, it'll choke trying to index and performance will be crap. However, if you split it all up into folders based on artist and album, with only about 15 or 20 files in each directory, it'll handle them fine.

Hope that helps some.

2000 R1100RT
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 14th, 2017, 12:43 pm

Quote:

If I turn off RND will the system access all of the tunes?
Yes, and by default it will play the tracks in alphabetical order, which is pretty much random and it doesn't repeat tracks.
post #7 of 13 Old Feb 14th, 2017, 1:51 pm

1-2 hours long. Most likely a file size issue. FAT32 which is most likely what the USB stick is formatted to does have a file size limit. Strange things happen when you get close to the size limit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous Bikes:

Honda VFR800 2011
Honda VFR1200 2012
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 14th, 2017, 3:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
1-2 hours long. Most likely a file size issue. FAT32 which is most likely what the USB stick is formatted to does have a file size limit. Strange things happen when you get close to the size limit.
FAT32 file size limit is 4GB.
post #9 of 13 Old Feb 14th, 2017, 5:09 pm

Which RT are we talking about? I have a camhead and can select random or all which plays in a numerical/alpha order. I have over 2,000 songs on my thumb drive. It's a 32 gb drive. Occasionally a song locks out and I can't select another song forward or backwards. I have to shut the radio off for about 5 minutes then it's back to normal. This happened with a different thumb drive. Might be the thumb drive with a glitch. But that's the only problem I encountered.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

I have all the songs in sub folders, depending on genre. But it sounds like maybe the file system itself is a bit wonky when they are large file size. Being just a vehicle audio system, I'm guessing there might not be enough programming to handle large files, like a normal computer. Sigh.

It's a living....
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 8:27 am

Pad, as usual you help a great deal and I thank you.

I know the Mode button can be held down to invoke the random play options (RND) and I am using it now, but one more question... how do you turn it off?

2014 R1200RT WC

"The Dude abides"
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 8:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Pad, as usual you help a great deal and I thank you.

I know the Mode button can be held down to invoke the random play options (RND) and I am using it now, but one more question... how do you turn it off?
Just repeat - that is, hold the mode button again for several seconds to turn it off.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 8:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff42 View Post
I have all the songs in sub folders, depending on genre. But it sounds like maybe the file system itself is a bit wonky when they are large file size. Being just a vehicle audio system, I'm guessing there might not be enough programming to handle large files, like a normal computer. Sigh.
No, it's not because of the player being on a vehicle audio system! I think that it is the large file size with this particular player. I did say that the MP3 files that I play on the RT is sized to several minutes (the classical tracks are longer, but not close to an hour per track), but I did not say that I do not have MP3 files that are much longer. I do. They are audiobooks, which I listen to on my iPod (relaxed at home) and never on the RT. Some of those audiobook MP3 files can be up to 6 hours or more in a single file (low kbps), and I definitely do not have any issues starting and stopping at any point and keeping accurate place to return to. An iPod is definitely a lot less "powerful" when it comes to processing power. Typically, an MP3 player will read just "chunks" of the file at a time, just enough to keep a buffer for smooth flow of audio output. It takes far too long, and wasteful (programming-wise) to read the whole file at once.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.