• 1 Post By Liv2Ride
  • 1 Post By Liv2Ride
  • 1 Post By Liv2Ride
  • 2 Post By EzyMount
  • 1 Post By EzyMount

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Stretch Fit Half Cover

Anyone have a good fitting half cover for their 2014+ RT. Easy on - easy off, folds and stores in minimal space..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 5:39 pm

Re: Stretch Fit Half Cover

I bought this Nelson Rigg 1/2 cover for my wifes 2010 Can Am Spyder RT. We sold the Spyder after a couple of years, but I kept this 1/2 cover because it fits my 2009 RT so well. I almost always have the 49 liter topcase on, and it works perfectly. I'm not sure how it would work without the topcase.

Model number CAS-375
https://www.nelsonrigg.com/covers/ca...er-detail.html
https://www.nelsonrigg.com/can-am-sp...alf-cover.html

Last edited by cartobum; Feb 12th, 2017 at 5:51 pm.
post #3 of 25 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 7:04 pm

This question seems to come up frequently. Google tells me I respond to this a couple times a year, so I ll just point you to an older thread:Wethead Travel Cover ?

My top box has now been changed to a Shad SH50, but the Nelson-Rigg UV2000 still works great.

Larry
2006 R1200RT

post #4 of 25 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 7:46 am

I really like the Nelson Rigg UV 2000 half cover. I did see a BMW Travel cover at my dealer when picking up the new RT, and bought it after seeing the perfect fit with topcase. About $45. About the size of the UV 2000 Nelson Rigg. Light, packs small in its own case, water resistant ( not proof ), and doesn't seem to mind being put away wet. Besides, what other accessory that is BMW branded can you get for $45?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #5 of 25 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 10:58 am

Garage

If you have an Ollies near you they have a cover made by Simonize that looks like it was custom made for an RTW. Even works OK with the top box and best of all $10ish. Steve
post #6 of 25 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 11:09 am

A good one:
The Traveller Half Motorcycle Cover | E-Z Touring Motorcycle Covers

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

K13S & DR650 (gone through a few RT's)
R1200GS (2014)
S1000R
Mount Vernon Cannon Works
post #7 of 25 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 3:57 pm

I also have the Nelson Rigg UV2000. Works great with or without the BMW topcase.
Al_B1 likes this.
post #8 of 25 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 7:09 pm
tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzyMount View Post
Anyone have a good fitting half cover for their 2014+ RT. Easy on - easy off, folds and stores in minimal space..
I have a Geza Gear half cover (which also can cover the panniers, or the topbox). It is superbly made and fits like a glove, but it was so expensive (about $300) that I are reluctant to use it, fearing it will be stolen!
Liv2Ride likes this.
post #9 of 25 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 8:42 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
I really like the Nelson Rigg UV 2000 half cover. I did see a BMW Travel cover at my dealer when picking up the new RT, and bought it after seeing the perfect fit with topcase. About $45. About the size of the UV 2000 Nelson Rigg. Light, packs small in its own case, water resistant ( not proof ), and doesn't seem to mind being put away wet. Besides, what other accessory that is BMW branded can you get for $45?
Do you have a part # or web address? for the BMW cover.

Jack Goertz
'12 Triumph Bonneville
'15 BMW R1200RT
post #10 of 25 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
I have a Geza Gear half cover (which also can cover the panniers, or the topbox). It is superbly made and fits like a glove, but it was so expensive (about $300) that I are reluctant to use it, fearing it will be stolen!
I am the orig owner of my 2012 RT, the Geza Gear is my 5th cover, should have purchased this one first...top quality and fit is exceptional.

The four previous covers all failed due to what I believe was UV exposure. The covers that previously failed are: Nelson Rigg UV2000, Nelson Rigg Deluxe All Season Cover and 2 E-Z Touring Wanderers.

Initially I didn't want to spend a lot; however, as you can see in the end I ended wasting a lot and don't anticipate I will ever have to replace the Geza cover, it's that superior to the others and packs just as well. Another high point is that it is machine washable.
beech likes this.
post #11 of 25 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 1:11 pm

I kept my Victory Vision Bike cover although I had a Cross Roads ,but!! the Vision cover was larger and covered the whole bike so thats why I had it. I found they are expensive but once again the quality is second to none. It covers the RT with the top box on and it is rain proof heat resistant . I know I get a lot of staring from my work mates about using the Victory cover on a BMW but being a quality cover and the price of it I was not going to let it go even if it has got Victory Vision in white writing across the front of it lol. Just my 2 cents work. I have used cheaper covers in the past and found they never last long and seem to fail where the seams are plastic welded due to the heat and exposure to the weather, The Victory cover is like new even after 3 years in fact I have 2 and use both if the weather looks like it might rain ,hail etc to give it some thick protection against the hail as I keep the bike out side with no room in my garage.
post #12 of 25 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 3:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I bought a Shady Products half cover for my '12 RT a couple of years ago, great product and easy to put on but not the cheapest cover. The cover also packs in its own built in storage pouch. They say on their site their covers will fit the '14 and newer RTs. I also had them modify the cover for my handlebar mirrors, so you may need to do the same if you have any modifications. Their website is Custom Motorcycle Covers. Motorcycle touring covers and motorcycle half covers. Waterproof lightweight motorcycle travel/day covers..

Dennis Franks
Illinois

2012 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT traded-in
BMW-MOA 156125

post #13 of 25 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 12:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv2Ride View Post
I am the orig owner of my 2012 RT, the Geza Gear is my 5th cover, should have purchased this one first...top quality and fit is exceptional.

The four previous covers all failed due to what I believe was UV exposure. The covers that previously failed are: Nelson Rigg UV2000, Nelson Rigg Deluxe All Season Cover and 2 E-Z Touring Wanderers.

Initially I didn't want to spend a lot; however, as you can see in the end I ended wasting a lot and don't anticipate I will ever have to replace the Geza cover, it's that superior to the others and packs just as well. Another high point is that it is machine washable.
Here's a few pics in the event you were wondering what the Geza looks like on the RT, no top case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2309.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	122641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2310.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	122649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2311.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	982.9 KB
ID:	122657  
Tippit likes this.
post #14 of 25 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 12:53 am

Quote:
Here's a few pics in the event you were wondering what the Geza looks like on the RT, no top case.
Great looking cover Liv2Ride! Which fabric did you choose?
Thanks
post #15 of 25 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 12:55 am

Quote:
And what size does it pack to?

Thanks again
post #16 of 25 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 6:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Just checked my previous post the website for Shady Products is Custom Motorcycle Covers. Motorcycle touring covers and motorcycle half covers. Waterproof lightweight motorcycle travel/day covers. Sorry, for the other post the copy paste did not go as hoped.

Dennis Franks
Illinois

2012 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT traded-in
BMW-MOA 156125

post #17 of 25 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 6:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Not sure why the website will not post as typed, but if you Google shady products you will find them. They are located in Denver, Colorado

Dennis Franks
Illinois

2012 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT traded-in
BMW-MOA 156125

post #18 of 25 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 7:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
Great looking cover Liv2Ride! Which fabric did you choose?
Thanks
This is the one I went for. Living in Hawaii and often using the bike for commuting to the office, bike is exposed to the elements for 10-12 hours/day, I wanted the best UV protection and a very packable size (approximately the size of a loaf of bread).

Elite-PLUS Series
Size Application: Available in ALL Sizes.
Use: How do you improve upon the incredible Elite-Series? This was the question that plagued us for a very long time. Well, after several years, and countless re-formulations and testing, we finally cracked that nut. The ELITE-PLUS SERIES now rests at the pinnacle of our Fabric Series offerings. It stands as the premier example of our ability to formulate and manufacture the best of what materials can offer. In short, it is the culmination of our imaginations, our long wish-lists of high performance specifications, creative and cutting edge engineering, and long-term persistence.

The ELITE-PLUS SERIES boasts the lightest weight yet has the highest strength to weight ratio of any of our fabrics with the highest towing performance ratings along with the highest longevity ratings. Lighter-weight, unparalleled high tensile strength, high UV resistance and serious high speed extreme long distance towing capability. Further, we have a new, patent pending, reflective finish on the outside of the material to reflect up to 75% of UV heat!

Built with 6 or 12 tie-down points along the perimeter of the cover to secure it against the harshest of cross-winds no matter where you decide to transport your bike.

Ideal for indoor storage, outdoor daily sun exposure, snow, hail, and windstorms. Built for extreme towing, weather, wind, and use and abuse. A custom water-proof Liner is available should you need at an additional cost.
Material: One Solid Piece of No. 12373
Features: Scratch-Proof, Breathable, Bonded with Zelex Water Repellency, Triple Bonded with UV Inhibitors, Tear-Proof, Portable, Dust-Proof, Towable, Machine Wash and Dry, Lockable. A customized Optional Water-Proof Liner is available should you need for an additional cost. Call us for your application.
Tow Rating: 105 mph
Color: Jet Black
Price: $249.95 - Small and Medium (Half-Build no luggage) Order Now
$284.95 - Large (Half-Build w/Sidebags) Order Now
$299.95 - X-Large (Half-Build w/Sidebags + TopBox) Order Now
For Full-Builds, CALL 888.222.0650
Tippit likes this.
post #19 of 25 Old Feb 24th, 2017, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all feedback. Decided to go with Geza Gear Cover..
tlc and Liv2Ride like this.
post #20 of 25 Old Feb 25th, 2017, 8:25 am

Quote:
Thanks for all feedback. Decided to go with Geza Gear Cover..
You will not be disappointed.
post #21 of 25 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 8:50 am

'16 1200rt nelson rig 1/2 cover xtra lg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170308_063659_1488984524836.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	715.5 KB
ID:	123458  
post #22 of 25 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 9:31 am

You guys across in the 'States have access to some very nice kit. Congratulations, I am very envious.
post #23 of 25 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Geza has a new improved cover not yet on site. (Rampage) Can be ordered with 'Hybird Option), allows tight fitment with or without topcase installed. Also comes with 5 tiedown loops on each side. I ordered this one yesterday.
post #24 of 25 Old Mar 8th, 2017, 11:37 pm

Quote:
Geza has a new improved cover not yet on site. (Rampage) Can be ordered with 'Hybird Option), allows tight fitment with or without topcase installed. Also comes with 5 tiedown loops on each side. I ordered this one yesterday.
What makes it a hybrid? Is the material and cost similar?
post #25 of 25 Old Mar 9th, 2017, 6:55 am Thread Starter

Rear section that covers topcase area is put together with a special technique that allows it to stretch down tight even when topcase is not installed. Got this info from sales dept.. A call to them for further explanation of changes made to cover for this feature would be in order, before you decide to buy. Sales rep I talked with, has hybird version for his GS, says it fits tight, with or without topcase..
Liv2Ride likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.