• 1 Post By Hoghead
  • 2 Post By davidtn
  • 2 Post By mtrevelino
  • 1 Post By Hoghead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Feb 9th, 2017, 11:48 pm Thread Starter

R1200rt 2014 question new buyer

Quick question ,
I am thinking of getting a BMW r1200rt. I have been riding exclusively Harley's last 8-9 years ultra, road glide, road king..before I rode k1200'lts and k100 scoots..so I am thinking of coming back to BMW. QUICK question, ...
I am thinking used 2014 r1200rt with top case and nav5 for around 16k (4k miles). Really my question is any known issues or unworthy characteristics I should pay attention to..i was thinking new 2016 as well, but figured if they are similar in characteristics, why take the depreciation hit...
Thanks
Ian....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Feb 10th, 2017, 12:48 am

Re: R1200rt 2014 question new buyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihbond2 View Post
Quick question ,
I am thinking of getting a BMW r1200rt. I have been riding exclusively Harley's last 8-9 years ultra, road glide, road king..before I rode k1200'lts and k100 scoots..so I am thinking of coming back to BMW. QUICK question, ...
I am thinking used 2014 r1200rt with top case and nav5 for around 16k (4k miles). Really my question is any known issues or unworthy characteristics I should pay attention to..i was thinking new 2016 as well, but figured if they are similar in characteristics, why take the depreciation hit...
Thanks
Ian....
If the initial issues, the Dynamic ESA shock failure & sporadic problems w/ 'weeping water pumps', were addressed if they manifested at all on that '14 RT, then you should be clear of common recurrent problems.

Definitely test ride enough to note some areas that some riders might consider less than ideal, and that might be the N-1st gear clunk, and a commonly reported sound that comes on when accelerating between about 2500 and 3800 rpm that sounds a lot like pre-ignition, but is very likely not. The 2017 model fixes the clunk, likely did not affect the engine noise issue I mentioned, and added cornering ABS and Dynamic Brake Light.

I bought a new '16 and it's fantastic--I'll be keeping it until the same bike in a light form factor arrives, if it ever does. I did a 9K x-country trip last summer and it was flawless in all conditions. My '16 has 18K miles now and it only gets better w/ time and prolonged break-in. It is not common to burn any oil on these if the engines were broken in correctly.
Geoff c likes this.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #3 of 28 Old Feb 10th, 2017, 5:02 am

Quote:
Quick question ,
Thanks
Ian....
You could buy my 2014 with 5400 miles for $13,500. The bike is in as new condition with Nav 5 , Small top case , BMW head protectors, Cee Bailey headlight protector, New tires, HID HI /Low beam.
Stored in climate controled environment, all service records.
Where are you located ?

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 28 Old Feb 10th, 2017, 6:50 am

Ihbond2...

I have a 2014 RT. Love it. Best bike I have ever owned... and this goes back to 1958 when I started. All the Harleys you mentioned were in my history, followed by my reincarnation within the BMW family. So...

My '14 has been Totally reliable so far, and no suggestion of anything amiss. Yes, I had the coolant seep in the earliest miles but the dealer was all over it and no issues since. There have been some software updates but those have either been done already or will be covered by the dealer... even if it is a private sale.

There has been some recent chatter about the Neutral-First Clunk. Yes mine has a bit of it but for that matter every BMW I have had did that. It is not a failure and never has been. The newest editions have made improvements with it but frankly it is a minor thing.

Having said that... if you want to go to a new '17 model you will be spending in the $22K range and that is without a lot of good-to-have things like top case and crash bars, so add on another $1k easy.

and... do not forget there are other things you will be shopping for- so build it into the budget- if it matters. Things like upgraded personal protective gear if you are not so equipped now. If you are a fan of on-board electronics, which most of the Wetheads have such as full-audio, GPS Navigation etc will probably call for a new helmet and/or up dated wireless bluetooth communications gear. (the Sena brand is very popular.)

Bottom-line is that from my perspective all the "Wet-Head" bikes are quite reliable, sexy, faster, more comfortable and user friendly... etc. If the seller is reliable, and if the candidate bike is right... you will really enjoy the bikes.

Questions? Where are you located? etc...

2014 R1200RT WC

"The Dude abides"
post #5 of 28 Old Feb 10th, 2017, 6:57 am

I have seen no reason to be concerned about ANY problems with the 2014 and up RT. Simply put, this bike has been the most trouble free of any model BMW has put out for a very long time. There will always be a couple issues, like the shock replacement and water pump seep. Both of those end up being non-issues after all. Beyond that, a few switchgear replacements is about all I have heard and those are rare.

Best advice is find a bike you like, with accessories you like, at a price you are comfortable with, and buy it! You won't regret it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #6 of 28 Old Feb 10th, 2017, 10:58 am

My previous bike was a Harley too. Purchased a new RT in April of 2014. The first year I kept the Harley thinking each would fit a "need". The more I rode the RT, the more I realized it pretty well fit all my needs and sold the Harley.

Depending on where you live, you might have a rental place near enough to you to take for an extended test drive. I knew I was hooked when I rode over 600 miles in the 24 hour rental period. It was $200 well spent when considering the large purchase price.

P.S. You will probably hear all sorts of weird "noises" on the RT that you aren't used to hearing on a Harley. After a while you'll get used to it as being normal.
post #7 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2017, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Well, ended up test driving the k1600gt, gal and r1200rt (14 & 16).
Long story short, ended up with 16 r1200rt, and purchased Iluium risers to get 2 more inches for the 6'1 275lb frame.

Thanks everyone that replied back to my initial question...
post #8 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2017, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheels View Post
My previous bike was a Harley too. Purchased a new RT in April of 2014. The first year I kept the Harley thinking each would fit a "need". The more I rode the RT, the more I realized it pretty well fit all my needs and sold the Harley.

Depending on where you live, you might have a rental place near enough to you to take for an extended test drive. I knew I was hooked when I rode over 600 miles in the 24 hour rental period. It was $200 well spent when considering the large purchase price.

P.S. You will probably hear all sorts of weird "noises" on the RT that you aren't used to hearing on a Harley. After a while you'll get used to it as being normal.
Heh. You mean I can hear my DW over the engine..guess I'll have to work on beefing up those speakers volume to 11.
post #9 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2017, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
I have seen no reason to be concerned about ANY problems with the 2014 and up RT. Simply put, this bike has been the most trouble free of any model BMW has put out for a very long time. There will always be a couple issues, like the shock replacement and water pump seep. Both of those end up being non-issues after all. Beyond that, a few switchgear replacements is about all I have heard and those are rare.

Best advice is find a bike you like, with accessories you like, at a price you are comfortable with, and buy it! You won't regret it.
Yea with 5k off it was a no brained getting something new for me, that I was comfortable with..BUT 1 key fob. Seriously, oh well...
Geoff c likes this.
post #10 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2017, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz View Post
Ihbond2...

I have a 2014 RT. Love it. Best bike I have ever owned... and this goes back to 1958 when I started. All the Harleys you mentioned were in my history, followed by my reincarnation within the BMW family. So...

My '14 has been Totally reliable so far, and no suggestion of anything amiss. Yes, I had the coolant seep in the earliest miles but the dealer was all over it and no issues since. There have been some software updates but those have either been done already or will be covered by the dealer... even if it is a private sale.

There has been some recent chatter about the Neutral-First Clunk. Yes mine has a bit of it but for that matter every BMW I have had did that. It is not a failure and never has been. The newest editions have made improvements with it but frankly it is a minor thing.

Having said that... if you want to go to a new '17 model you will be spending in the $22K range and that is without a lot of good-to-have things like top case and crash bars, so add on another $1k easy.

and... do not forget there are other things you will be shopping for- so build it into the budget- if it matters. Things like upgraded personal protective gear if you are not so equipped now. If you are a fan of on-board electronics, which most of the Wetheads have such as full-audio, GPS Navigation etc will probably call for a new helmet and/or up dated wireless bluetooth communications gear. (the Sena brand is very popular.)

Bottom-line is that from my perspective all the "Wet-Head" bikes are quite reliable, sexy, faster, more comfortable and user friendly... etc. If the seller is reliable, and if the candidate bike is right... you will really enjoy the bikes.

Questions? Where are you located? etc...
A "clunk". Doesn't that mean positive affirmation. Heh...absolutely correct by top case.. now I have to look into a seat..wonder if stitch rich is up here in Seattle...long way from you but he did my last few scoots...

Take care
Geoff c likes this.
post #11 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2017, 6:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
If the initial issues, the Dynamic ESA shock failure & sporadic problems w/ 'weeping water pumps', were addressed if they manifested at all on that '14 RT, then you should be clear of common recurrent problems.

Definitely test ride enough to note some areas that some riders might consider less than ideal, and that might be the N-1st gear clunk, and a commonly reported sound that comes on when accelerating between about 2500 and 3800 rpm that sounds a lot like pre-ignition, but is very likely not. The 2017 model fixes the clunk, likely did not affect the engine noise issue I mentioned, and added cornering ABS and Dynamic Brake Light.

I bought a new '16 and it's fantastic--I'll be keeping it until the same bike in a light form factor arrives, if it ever does. I did a 9K x-country trip last summer and it was flawless in all conditions. My '16 has 18K miles now and it only gets better w/ time and prolonged break-in. It is not common to burn any oil on these if the engines were broken in correctly.
I guess I joined the ranks of the '16 as well.. price was to discounted not to buy.
post #12 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Quote:
I guess I joined the ranks of the '16 as well.. price was to discounted not to buy.
Awesome--it is really a pleasant piece of machinery that can handle any type of street riding, in comfort, performance & handling. Enjoy!
Geoff c likes this.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #13 of 28 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 7:43 am

Garage

It's my understanding that February is the slowest month for motorcycle sales. That being said you will find very motivated dealers. Last weekend I drove 1200 miles to pick up what I consider to be a great deal on a new 2016 RT. That bike has every option except keyless ride and included a color matched premium BMW top case, BMW engine guards and the Navigator V for less then 22k.
post #14 of 28 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 11:00 am

I could have purchased a '16 RT from Chicago dealer for $5,400.00 off MSRP in mid January...bought a '17 instead. BMW has $$$ in Sales Credits for dealers to use as incentives if they wish...add that to a dealer willing to also give his own (additional) discount and a great deal can be had. Of course it helps if you like the color selections and equipment levels/availability at hand. It's all good.
Geoff c likes this.

2017 R1200RT
MOA #46783
post #15 of 28 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

Always interesting markets, regions and incentives. I read somewhere that my state, Washington..had highest per capita of HD and BMW compared to other states. Certain areas sell mor naggers, others sports adventurers. There was only like 2 16' RT left in this state...lots of gt's and gtl

I was looking at the '17s. Nice scoot as well...

HEck everything's better than my Tabaco brown k100lt...my only saving grace to that color scheme was that over the years so many stickers got put on, I forgot about the color...
I guess there always got to be "one ugly one"1
Geoff c likes this.
post #16 of 28 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 4:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Pie View Post
It's my understanding that February is the slowest month for motorcycle sales. That being said you will find very motivated dealers. Last weekend I drove 1200 miles to pick up what I consider to be a great deal on a new 2016 RT. That bike has every option except keyless ride and included a color matched premium BMW top case, BMW engine guards and the Navigator V for less then 22k.
The keyless entry is neat, but clearly not a necessity. Enjoy your new ride. I have just put on about 150 mi on my new 2016 R1200RT and love it.

brselman
2016R1200RT
2013K1600GTL (traded)
2009R1200RT (gone after an accident)
2012R1200R (sold)
2012 Triumph Sprint (sold)
post #17 of 28 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Quote:
Always interesting markets, regions and incentives. I read somewhere that my state, Washington..had highest per capita of HD and BMW compared to other states. Certain areas sell mor naggers, others sports adventurers. There was only like 2 16' RT left in this state...lots of gt's and gtl

I was looking at the '17s. Nice scoot as well...

HEck everything's better than my Tabaco brown k100lt...my only saving grace to that color scheme was that over the years so many stickers got put on, I forgot about the color...
I guess there always got to be "one ugly one"1
Thought that was I!

brselman
2016R1200RT
2013K1600GTL (traded)
2009R1200RT (gone after an accident)
2012R1200R (sold)
2012 Triumph Sprint (sold)
post #18 of 28 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 9:27 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brselman View Post
The keyless entry is neat, but clearly not a necessity. Enjoy your new ride. I have just put on about 150 mi on my new 2016 R1200RT and love it.

I have got about 150 miles after 2 rides also and my wife has already sworn she will never get back on the R Nine T.
Geoff c likes this.
post #19 of 28 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 1:02 pm

I had the R1100RT back in the early days after riding Jap super bikes most of my life and too be honest I loved it, then I sold it bought a few cruisers including Suzuki Boulevard that I hated because it never felt as if you were going to get around a corner safe without it digging in and kicking you off so then, I bought a Victory Cross Roads in 2013 and loved that bike ,finally I bought the 2016 R1200RT wet head and love the bike once agin I have power, heaps of torque and a bike that handles. The wet head have a rattly engine noise that is normal and once you know about that you wont worry about it. I must say I do not regret going back too the BMW as they are one of the best bikes out there .I loved the Victory and too be honest both bikes were comfortable to ride on long trips but the Victory was alike the Harley a heavy bike without the torque of the BMW. I love the keyless factor of the BMW and to ride it and drop it into corners at any speed is the best feeling.The ability to change the suspension and preloads is fantastic and the Pro-shift is great too ,something I thought was a bit of a walk when I first bought the bike but wow you get to love that so quick. I had to work out what I wanted after owing the Victory ,I knew I wanted another BMW but to decide between the K1600GTL or the R1200RT was the hardest thing and once I made my mind up ,did all the research I bought the RT without taking it for a test ride and have not looked back. They are light nimble, have the ability to get up and go plus the fact they handle and brake well is the best of all. God luck with what every way you go and enjoy the bike as I know you will.
Cheers
Geoff
NoelCP likes this.
post #20 of 28 Old Feb 20th, 2017, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
You could buy my 2014 with 5400 miles for $13,500. The bike is in as new condition with Nav 5 , Small top case , BMW head protectors, Cee Bailey headlight protector, New tires, HID HI /Low beam.
Where are you located ?
I'm in Vegas, but that price is beating anything I have seen so far.
Geoff c likes this.
post #21 of 28 Old Feb 23rd, 2017, 6:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Where are you located ?
Murray, I might be interested. Send me a PM. I don't have enough posts to send one to you.
Thanks
Matt
Geoff c likes this.
post #22 of 28 Old Mar 4th, 2017, 5:21 pm

A very good choice when someone drops Harley for a BMW R1200RT........I have had Harley's for 20 years but will never go back. Never knew riding was so much fun......
Geoff c likes this.
post #23 of 28 Old Mar 7th, 2017, 1:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
A very good choice when someone drops Harley for a BMW R1200RT........I have had Harley's for 20 years but will never go back. Never knew riding was so much fun......
Ditto for my experience as well with my last Harley being a Road King Classic. It was a beautiful bike but I'd grown tired of looking like every other pirate so I did my homework, strolled into my local BMW dealer and bought a brand new 2015 San Merino Blue RT. Now here's the interesting part. I had so much confidence that I'd like the bike I didn't even take a test ride. How many people do something so crazy as that?

I knew I'd made the right decision within 10 seconds of pulling out of the dealer parking lot.
zippy_gg and Hoghead like this.

IBA # 41940

2015 R1200 RT San Marino Blue
2002 Road King Classic - Traded
1971 Honda SL 125 - sold
1970 Honda CB 100 - sold
1969 Sears Mini-Bike- Gone. Never forgotten

Last edited by davidtn; Mar 7th, 2017 at 3:29 pm.
post #24 of 28 Old Mar 7th, 2017, 6:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtn View Post
I had so much confidence that I'd like the bike I didn't even take a test ride. How many people do something so crazy as that?
I knew I'd made the right decision within 10 seconds of pulling out of the dealer parking lot.
Exactly! I did when I purchased my 2000LT. I always liked BMW's while "growing up". I went from a 1978 Gold Wing (purchased as a demo) to the 2000LT and never looked back. What drew me to the LT originally was its fuel injection. I had enough problems with Honda's carburetors.
Back during 1999, I joined the Yahoo LT forum and found that the LT was the bike for me!
My first ride on the LT from the dealer was with my wife as a pillion. Not a smart move, but I did not drop the bike while we took a 100 mile ride. When the dealer prepped the LT, I had them install the Autocom system which was a totally new experience for us.
zippy_gg and davidtn like this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #25 of 28 Old Mar 12th, 2017, 9:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtn View Post
Ditto for my experience as well with my last Harley being a Road King Classic. It was a beautiful bike but I'd grown tired of looking like every other pirate so I did my homework, strolled into my local BMW dealer and bought a brand new 2015 San Merino Blue RT. Now here's the interesting part. I had so much confidence that I'd like the bike I didn't even take a test ride. How many people do something so crazy as that?

I done about the same thing. I went and looked at the BMW Dealer and went back home and thought about it and called the Dealer and told him to hold the bike that I would be after it with my trailer next day. Got to Nashville and the salesman ask me if I ever rode the bike I said NO but I will like it.....I loaded it on my trailer and drove 80 miles home and unloaded it and rode about 4 miles and back and thought .....WOWWW that was a great decision.....Anything rides better than a Harley....
davidtn likes this.
post #26 of 28 Old Mar 12th, 2017, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
I done about the same thing. I went and looked at the BMW Dealer and went back home and thought about it and called the Dealer and told him to hold the bike that I would be after it with my trailer next day. Got to Nashville and the salesman ask me if I ever rode the bike I said NO but I will like it.....I loaded it on my trailer and drove 80 miles home and unloaded it and rode about 4 miles and back and thought .....WOWWW that was a great decision.....Anything rides better than a Harley....
Not only did I buy my 1st motorcycle in 1979 (a Yamaha 650 Special II) without riding it, I had never even ridden a motorcycle (as driver or passenger)! Drove from Columbus with a friend who rode it back to Columbus for me in a driving rain while I followed in the car. Practiced for a couple of days in a parking lot and then went and got my license (scares me now to think about it!). Sold it a few years later. After a 20 year hiatus, bought a 1500 cc Yamaha Road Star from a friend but knew I would have difficulty passing a driving test on that big a bike so took the MSF course using one of their 125 cc bikes and haven't looked back, just changed bikes along the way. My BMWs were the only new bikes I ever did a test ride on because they were the only dealers of new bikes that would allow a test ride!

Mike
post #27 of 28 Old Mar 13th, 2017, 9:54 am Thread Starter

So true,
I remember back in the early 80's at a HD and you could not even sit on one let alone ride it.
Money down then ride..sort of like a pay to play ritual.
If you didn't have any street cred or popularity, you were not going out for a spin!!!!!!
post #28 of 28 Old Mar 13th, 2017, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreeland View Post
BMWs were the only new bikes I ever did a test ride on because they were the only dealers of new bikes that would allow a test ride!

Mike
And thats how I ended up on my 2 BMWs. They were the only dealership that would let me test ride.

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Current: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.