• 1 Post By Rainman48
  • 1 Post By kellenbenz
  • 1 Post By PadG
  • 1 Post By casbar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 2:05 pm Thread Starter

Garage
BMW Motorrad presents the Navigator VI

New Navigator VI GPS Receiver Introduced by BMW Motorrad | BMW Motorcycle Magazine

If it isn't documented... it didn't happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 2:16 pm

Re: BMW Motorrad presents the Navigator VI

No price? Hmmm?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 32 Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 3:45 pm

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA_________________2015 R1200RT
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
No price? Hmmm?
If you have to ask, you can't afford it. :-)
katnapinn likes this.

post #4 of 32 Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 4:09 pm

A post by a British rider said ~$850 US for the Nav VI, ~$950 with a four button cradle for bikes without a built-in mount. I'm not sure where they obtained the info. A different forum said $900, but I can't locate the post right now.

I'm content with my generic Chinese GPS and my smartphone for music. I just don't see enough added value in the Nav units to justify the price difference.

Larry
2006 R1200RT

Last edited by lkraus; Feb 2nd, 2017 at 4:15 pm.
post #5 of 32 Old Feb 4th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Garage

What are the odds that BMW will lower the prices on the NAV V now and how much do you think they will lower it? I still want one but havent justified the $$$ yet. Every time I have decided to take the plunge something has happened to encourage me to wait a while longer. Ole lady told me a few weeks ago to go ahead and get one now I see this. Steve
post #6 of 32 Old Feb 4th, 2017, 7:15 pm

All I want is for Garmin to provide a polarized filter for the NAV5 and match the routing algorithms to their damn Basecamp software. There is nothing so frustrating to use Basecamp to plan routes and then have their GPS units send you someplace else. I am forced to use an excessive number of waypoints to keep it in line. MAYBE their new "curvy" road algorithim in the NAV6 will do a better job, but I'm not buying it unless I win the Lottery.
hopz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 BMW R1200RT
'10 BMW S1000RR
'09 Suzuki DR650
'05 Honda RC51
post #7 of 32 Old Feb 4th, 2017, 7:24 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

BMW will probably drop the price of the Nav V a bit to clear out inventory.

You can probably also get a good deal on a lightly used Nav V on this board as some folks start to upgrade to the Nav VI and sell their old GPS here.

Ken
SoCal
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting . . .
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 59K miles and gone.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 32,690 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles & now rebuilt!
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #8 of 32 Old Feb 6th, 2017, 3:00 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I have the V and, yeah, it was pricey. But to me it was worth it because I can toggle through all the maps and options safely and easily since it's integrated with the bike's electronics. Especially useful for zooming in and out without taking my hands off the handlebars.

The Garmin software proved to be too tedious for me to plan the trip in advance so I just leverage a little manual stuff here and there.

Having weather and traffic info alert me proved useful, too.

Stu

Current
2016 BMW R1200RT

Once Upon a Time
2003 BMW K1200LTC
1995 Honda Magna VF750
post #9 of 32 Old Feb 6th, 2017, 3:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman48 View Post
All I want is for Garmin to provide a polarized filter for the NAV5 and match the routing algorithms to their damn Basecamp software. There is nothing so frustrating to use Basecamp to plan routes and then have their GPS units send you someplace else. I am forced to use an excessive number of waypoints to keep it in line. MAYBE their new "curvy" road algorithim in the NAV6 will do a better job, but I'm not buying it unless I win the Lottery.
Hint:

Turn off the auto recalculate function and follow the magenta line when things look funny. You can always manually recalculate.

HTH,

Ron
beech likes this.

653,914 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 2692 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 415,531

1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #10 of 32 Old Feb 6th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Wonder if they upgraded screen with a good effective polarizing filter ????
post #11 of 32 Old Feb 7th, 2017, 12:17 am
IBR# 366

Garage

From the first paragraph of the article linked in the first post above:

Quote:
Like the last model, the new Navigator VI has a 5″ display but it has been updated to include a circular polarizing filter, which should enhanced readability, particularly in strong and even direct sunlight.

Ken
SoCal
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting . . .
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 59K miles and gone.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 32,690 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles & now rebuilt!
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #12 of 32 Old Feb 7th, 2017, 8:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz View Post
Hint:

Turn off the auto recalculate function and follow the magenta line when things look funny. You can always manually recalculate.

HTH,

Ron
The other important hint is to make sure that the "avoidance" settings used to plan the routes is identical to what you have selected in Nav V, otherwise the preference in the unit will supersede and send you around the perceived avoidance!
beech likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #13 of 32 Old Feb 8th, 2017, 7:52 am

Yes... another tip... (at least on my car's Nuvi)

There is a setting to choose...Fastest Route, or Shortest Route.

This can get confusing if you think you know the path of travel and then the device routes you to a somewhat different path.

2014 R1200RT WC

"This message is brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department"
post #14 of 32 Old Apr 7th, 2017, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
BMW will probably drop the price of the Nav V a bit to clear out inventory.

You can probably also get a good deal on a lightly used Nav V on this board as some folks start to upgrade to the Nav VI and sell their old GPS here.
What they are doing here in Australia is offering them free on selected run out 2016 models to clear the stocks. I am looking at buying a New 2017 K1600 GTL Elegance and if that does not include the new Nav6 I will just stick with the Nav 5 I have on my 2016 R1200RT as it is only 6 mths old and it was included in the deal ,when I bought the Rt 6 mths ago.
post #15 of 32 Old Apr 7th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Quote:
Are the maps on your device and on your computer the same version? Every map update is distinct, and using routes created on one version do not always transfer seamlessly to a device running another version. More than once when I've mapped out a route and then shared it with friends, if they don't have the same version of the map as I used to map out the route, we run into problems at some point. Like the time when the route actually was on the recently upgraded main road visible to our left, but the guy on the point had his GPS showing the route on the parallel side road that took us into the neighborhood where, for whatever reason, four guys on Japanese or German bikes were NOT welcome by the locals.

I'm not coming to Garmin's rescue, they have some whacked ideas and clunky software, but making sure map versions are consistent solves issues. My Nav 5 was free from BMW when I bought my RT end of '14, so the price was right.
post #16 of 32 Old Apr 7th, 2017, 6:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

But ... does it have a good, complete owner's instruction manual? That would be a first.

Jeff Dean

Tucson, AZ -- formerly Madison, WI
BMW MOA #115; VBMWMO #2
'15 R1200RT, '15 R1200R, '67 R60/2 (x3),
'69 R60US, '55 R67/3, '49 R24

post #17 of 32 Old Apr 8th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBones View Post
Are the maps on your device and on your computer the same version?
Yes, my GPS and Basecamp maps are identical versions. I update both at the same time, and recalculate both routes if I use an older route.
IMHO, the problem is with the interpretation of routing details, not the maps themselves.

'16 BMW R1200RT
'10 BMW S1000RR
'09 Suzuki DR650
'05 Honda RC51
post #18 of 32 Old Apr 8th, 2017, 8:06 pm

Expensive.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #19 of 32 Old Apr 9th, 2017, 8:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have the V and it sure is nice to use with the wonder wheel. On my '13 RT I used it with the base buttons and on the '17 I use it with the wonder wheel. Big difference and much much easier to use with the wonder wheel. It was also expensive so I'm sure the VI will sell just can't justify the move from V to VI where the two biggest improvements, imho, are the polarized screen and the directions saying "turn left at the church" vs "turn left on Main Street". One good thing is that their models don't change every year. I think the Nav V was around for four or five years before they came out with the VI.

2017 R1200RT
2008 Harley Davidson 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic
IBA No. 58411
post #20 of 32 Old Apr 9th, 2017, 8:25 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Yes, my GPS and Basecamp maps are identical versions. I update both at the same time, and recalculate both routes if I use an older route.
IMHO, the problem is with the interpretation of routing details, not the maps themselves.
Yes, that is the right evaluation! To get the same route that you have set up in Basecamp, it is of the utmost importance that the preference, and more important the avoidance list are set the same in Basecamp as in Nav V, otherwise the setting in Nav V will prevail on the route that you sent to it! The data that Basecamp transfer to Nav V is merely all the "points" along the route, whether they are real waypoints or merely "shaping" points, and Nav V uses them to figure out how to get from point to point. So, if you have the preference set to shortest route and, say, avoid toll roads in Basecamp, but have it as winding road, and accept toll road, then the route that you will be guided to by Nav V will be very different to what you had planned in Basecamp!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #21 of 32 Old Apr 9th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Thumbs down Re: BMW Motorrad presents the Navigator VI

Got my Nav VI yesterday and still have some reservations about the same shortfalls as the V. The screen is absolutely beautiful and the new routing features are very nice as well. I have a 2016 (got it in 2015) R1200RT and the two things I wanted from this device are missing or do not work. 1. The "My Motorcycle Page" is not there at all. In the V it was apparently available IF you used the 4-button mount but on the VI it states it should work on any motorcycle with the navigation prep package. 2. It does not allow you to listen to music while in the cradle. If you choose "Media Player" it simply states on the screen listen to music from your onboard sound system. I took it out of the cradle and the media player works as advertised, I can choose iPhone, media card in the GPS, or bluetooth connection. When placed back in the cradle, you are told to use your own sound system. These are significant issues, is anyone experiencing them or can you tell me what I am doing wrong?
post #22 of 32 Old Apr 9th, 2017, 5:07 pm

Brian - same here. 2016 RT. No My Motorcycle page as I had on my GS. I did hook it up to Garmin Express and installed a bunch of updates. No difference.
post #23 of 32 Old Apr 9th, 2017, 8:39 pm

I bought a carryover 2016 RT earlier this winter that didn't come with the radio package. It has most other options including the navigation preparation package. I had been planning to add the Navigator V or VI but before doing so, I wanted to ask if anyone could tell me whether the functionality (e.g.media player, bluetooth connection, etc) in the Nav V/VI works when it is mounted in the cradle of an RT without/without the sound system option?

Thanks, Murray
post #24 of 32 Old Apr 10th, 2017, 7:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkg1025 View Post
I bought a carryover 2016 RT earlier this winter that didn't come with the radio package. It has most other options including the navigation preparation package. I had been planning to add the Navigator V or VI but before doing so, I wanted to ask if anyone could tell me whether the functionality (e.g.media player, bluetooth connection, etc) in the Nav V/VI works when it is mounted in the cradle of an RT without/without the sound system option?

Thanks, Murray
If you have a bluetooth device on your helmet, you can connect the unit to that directly.
post #25 of 32 Old Apr 10th, 2017, 8:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced4jets View Post
If you have a bluetooth device on your helmet, you can connect the unit to that directly.
If I understand what is being said they say that the music functionality stops working once the unit is mounted in the motorcycle cradle. On my 2012 it still works in the cradle but my helmet Bluetooth is limited to one high quality audio source so you have to either pair to the gps or the bike's radio.

Gerhard

post #26 of 32 Old Apr 10th, 2017, 8:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
If I understand what is being said they say that the music functionality stops working once the unit is mounted in the motorcycle cradle. On my 2012 it still works in the cradle but my helmet Bluetooth is limited to one high quality audio source so you have to either pair to the gps or the bike's radio.

Gerhard
I am afraid that it's different on the wetheads, Gerhard! The music function is disabled completely on the Nav V/VI when it is in the RT mount. As for the motorcycle page, there had always been a big difference in what one sees when Nav V is mounted in the RT mount vs the same Nav V in a GS mount. It seem that the GS mount sends a lot more data to be displayed on the Nav than what the RT send! It also seem that the function had been completely removed for the Nav VI?

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #27 of 32 Old Apr 10th, 2017, 9:44 am

Guys with the 2017 RT now seem to get the same information on the Nav V as on the GS, so BMW must have upgraded the information flow.
PadG likes this.
post #28 of 32 Old Apr 10th, 2017, 4:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Yes, that is the right evaluation! To get the same route that you have set up in Basecamp, it is of the utmost importance that the preference, and more important the avoidance list are set the same in Basecamp as in Nav V, otherwise the setting in Nav V will prevail on the route that you sent to it! The data that Basecamp transfer to Nav V is merely all the "points" along the route, whether they are real waypoints or merely "shaping" points, and Nav V uses them to figure out how to get from point to point. So, if you have the preference set to shortest route and, say, avoid toll roads in Basecamp, but have it as winding road, and accept toll road, then the route that you will be guided to by Nav V will be very different to what you had planned in Basecamp!
Correct! ^ ^ ^
post #29 of 32 Old Apr 10th, 2017, 8:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
I am afraid that it's different on the wetheads, Gerhard! The music function is disabled completely on the Nav V/VI when it is in the RT mount. ...
I'm sorry, but this is just incorrect information concerning the NAV V and the wethead RTs.

Mounting a NAV V in the cradle does NOT disable the music function at all. Not the choice of speakers or BT, not the choice of radio or Sirius, or Aux source, and not even onboard MP3s stored in it's memory. It may be cumbersome to configure or change, but there are many, many threads showing how to do it, and it works.

I have no experience or comments about the NAV VI or the GS mount. As a 2016 RT owner with the GPS package and "radio" option, I'm just saying let's not confuse people even more by lumping reported problems or new "features" of the NAV VI with the NAV V.

'16 BMW R1200RT
'10 BMW S1000RR
'09 Suzuki DR650
'05 Honda RC51
post #30 of 32 Old Apr 18th, 2017, 2:01 am

Question Re: BMW Motorrad presents the Navigator VI

Anyone selling a V?
post #31 of 32 Old Apr 18th, 2017, 2:06 am

Question Re: BMW Motorrad presents the Navigator VI

Anyone selling a Nav V?
post #32 of 32 Old Apr 21st, 2017, 11:41 am

I think this issue requires clarity: Connecting to the cradle does not disable the RT audio. It does disable the ability of the Nav VI media app to select other sources other than the bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.