• 1 Post By brselman
  • 2 Post By rapz
  • 2 Post By Motodan
  • 1 Post By Lexbro
  • 1 Post By lkchris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 10:21 am Thread Starter

2017 RT transmission

After a hundred miles of running in I can state the new transmission on my '17 RT is like butter compared to not only older MY BMW's, but most other domestic and Japanese bikes. No clunk from N to First and smooth/quiet all up and down through the gears. Quite the improvement.
PadG and beech like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 R1200RT
MOA #46783
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 11:53 am

Garage
Re: 2017 RT transmission

Yay!

Now we need to know if and how much to retrofit to '14-16 bikes.
davidtn and LIRider like this.

Current Bike: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta
post #3 of 42 Old Jan 23rd, 2017, 12:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
After a hundred miles of running in I can state the new transmission on my '17 RT is like butter compared to not only older MY BMW's, but most other domestic and Japanese bikes. No clunk from N to First and smooth/quiet all up and down through the gears. Quite the improvement.
That's awesome! Nope, that's as it should have been all along! I wonder why they let it go so long, for so many wet heads delivered to take 4 years to solve it this. Perhaps it was really difficult to fix and it took this long to figure out what would help.

As a practical matter the only thing that would change for me personally is that I might tend to turn off the engine at stop lights a little less (yes, of course I wait until the vehicle behind me has come to a solid stop before turning off the engine). For short stops where I arrive at a light halfway to the light change I leave the bike in 1st. As a result I never get N to 1st gear clunks, and that is because like the rest of us who will admit it, I don't find the clunk a good thing! Is it bad for the gearbox or other? I doubt it, it's just crude is all. I start the bike in 1st always unless ambient is below 60F and the bike is cold. And the rest of shifting is fine. But yes, awesome they finally addressed this.

The question is, how much would you pay to retrofit this fix? Hard to say for me, but likely not going to happen unless it's easy and they can make $$ doing it. It would be awesome for BMW's reputation though ;o)

2016 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Identical Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold

post #4 of 42 Old Jan 24th, 2017, 9:00 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoelCP View Post
The question is, how much would you pay to retrofit this fix? Hard to say for me, but likely not going to happen unless it's easy and they can make $$ doing it. It would be awesome for BMW's reputation though ;o)
It is the only flaw on an otherwise perfect motorcycle; However, it is a significant flaw that I am reminded of each and every time I shift up and down through the gears. My bike is still under warranty so I will definitely bring it up the next time I am at the dealer to see if it is possible and I will relay to them that I would be willing to share in the expense like an insurance deductible or something. The only caveat is that the fix may require something significant: Complete new transmission or rebuild with new parts and that would hit BMW really hard.

Since they have addressed this with the '17 model they know it is a defect and my opinion is they should do something for existing bikes as a customer service but even if they don't I will enjoy the bike as it is because there is nothing out there that is better for me. I can deal with the clunky transmission because every other aspect of the bike is simply fantastic.

post #5 of 42 Old Jan 24th, 2017, 11:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
I can deal with the clunky transmission because every other aspect of the bike is simply fantastic.
Agreed Will--good luck post what you find on this I'd be curious. Who knows, maybe they found a magic bullet to squeeze into place that cures the issue. Think how many models w/ this transmission have been sold throughout the world--that's a lot of potential retrofits. Here's a quote someone posted on another forum:

For 2017, all R1200 models receive judder dampers on the transmission output shaft (formerly standard equipment for just the R1200GS Adventure), along with revised selector drum actuators, transmission shafts and transmission shaft bearing.
Even more I'd be curious to test the new model and see just how different it is. Motodan's comment was a little stronger on the positive than other comments I've read. In reality the issue mainly comes into play w/ the 1st to N clunk. The second area that's harsh is downshifting from 2nd to 1st while moving if you're not careful but as long as you give the throttle adequate revs (a bigger blip than you might think you need) AND be definitive w/ the shift it pretty much disappears as an issue. If after a test ride it was too compelling it would probably be a net loss of maybe $4000 to $5000 in depreciation just to improve this one issue, and ultimately it is a minor issue for me since I avoid the N to 1st gear clunks by starting the bike in 1st gear, turning the engine off while at long lights, leaving it on at short lights, etc.
Nil_Time likes this.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold

Last edited by NoelCP; Jan 24th, 2017 at 12:18 pm.
post #6 of 42 Old Jan 24th, 2017, 11:59 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I am sure why the 16's are sitting or being discounted so deeply.

I am betting it is a huge improvement.

However I still love my 15 and I can put up with her

I knew as soon as I read those four areas of improvement, bearing, shaft, ant-shudder and especially the shift forks it was going to be like butter.

Cant take the depreciation hit of my 15, and then the 17 in such a short period of ownership.

And it is all about what I need, not what I want at this point in my life

On the other hand a lot of people in the world would like to have what I have and so I am OK with it and it is a fine day

Still envious as Hell though

Lee
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 Sold
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT Totaled 7/17/2010
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #7 of 42 Old Jan 24th, 2017, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF View Post
Still envious as Hell though
Yes this is why after we buy such a lovely piece of work we should never look at what's coming out next year as there will always be something better!

My plan at age 64 is that I hope to keep the Dreamliner until someone comes out w/ a Sport Tourer compromising nothing in comfort/tech/luxury/performance but w/ a curb weight of around 525lbs w/ side cases. R1200RS isn't it, it's got the weight, but ergos and lack of an electric full height screen kills it right off the bat for me.

My hope is that someone will create this masterpiece and when they do we'll all drool over it For now though, we get to use the current masterpiece! And today marks the beginning of a dry spell in Nor Cal after what amounts to the wettest a really wet and cold season so far: 52" to date.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #8 of 42 Old Jan 24th, 2017, 1:33 pm

I haven't ridden the 2017 although my brother just purchased one this month. I don't think I want to ride it. I am real happy with my 2016. Major upgrade over my old 2010.

I know the dealers really wanted to push out the 2016s. In Nov they told me that they wouldn't get the 2017s until Feb 2017 when in fact they got the bikes by December if not November. A couple of weeks after I got my 2016. My only consolation is the discount from MSRP and good trade in value on my old bike.

BTW, I wanted the ABS Pro, color and then the transmission modes in that order on the new 2017 RT.

tsp
post #9 of 42 Old Jan 24th, 2017, 2:20 pm

Think you will find 16s are being discounted because they are not Euro 4 compliant, so can't now be sold in Europe as new from January. Also 2017 bikes have upgrades like ABS Pro.
post #10 of 42 Old Jan 24th, 2017, 5:33 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casbar View Post
Think you will find 16s are being discounted because they are not Euro 4 compliant, so can't now be sold in Europe as new from January. Also 2017 bikes have upgrades like ABS Pro.
Good point I had never thought of. The Market got way smaller with needing the new Euro 4 kicking in. They have to sell them somewhere.

Lee
BMW MOA #135959
post #11 of 42 Old Jan 25th, 2017, 11:53 am

" I don't find the clunk a good thing! Is it bad for the gearbox or other? I doubt it, it's just crude is all."

kinda reminds me of the clunk I get on my Road King, kinda harley style...........
LAF likes this.

2016 RT
2012 RT
2012 Road King
2008 gold wing
2009 RT (hit deer at 70)
2005 RT
2007 road king
2011 triumph america
2008 Dyana lowrider
2006 honda 1100
2008 street glide
2007 ST1300
1973 CB750
1971 honda 450 scrambler
1966 honda 55 trail
post #12 of 42 Old Jan 26th, 2017, 1:21 pm

OK, now I know this sounds like it has elements of rationalization in it big time and if I could do abra cadabra poof! you have a judder damper and a few other parts now installed I think I'd be doing it, but I went out for a 60m joy ride yesterday having a break in the wet but not the cold, and here is my conclusion on the gearbox and how it functions on this '16 RT. It's really a non-issue: every single shift was smooth, no clunking whatsoever. But as I mentioned I will turn off the bike at the beginning of a long stoplight and start back up in 1st gear, but yesterday that never happened.

I think what happens is, EXCEPT for the N>1st gear clunk on a warmed engine, shifting is not just not bad, it's excellent. I also believe that as the bike and rider age together, one learns exactly what's required to make shifting smooth always. So in this regard, and not dissing the improvements in the new gearbox, but I think in many ways it's an issue for newer riders to the water boxer wet clutch design that settles out as you learn the bike and it is fully broken in. Put this way, I wouldn't pay much to upgrade this even if a retrofit option was offered. Now the other attributes of '17 RT add considerably more value, ABS Pro, Dynamic Brake light (in the US, or no?), and also they finally decided to let the 'My Motorcycle' data get ported to Nav V. That always miffed me this wasn't an option on Nav V for RT owners when it quite clearly could have been w/ minor modifications to the programming.
Lexbro likes this.

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #13 of 42 Old Jan 27th, 2017, 6:25 pm

Quote:
Since they have addressed this with the '17 model they know it is a defect and my opinion is they should do something for existing bikes ...
Yeah, they should repaint all the earliest matte blue RTs with the new San Marino blue because it was a defect ...

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #14 of 42 Old Jan 27th, 2017, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
It is the only flaw on an otherwise perfect motorcycle; However, it is a significant flaw that I am reminded of each and every time I shift up and down through the gears. My bike is still under warranty so I will definitely bring it up the next time I am at the dealer to see if it is possible and I will relay to them that I would be willing to share in the expense like an insurance deductible or something. The only caveat is that the fix may require something significant: Complete new transmission or rebuild with new parts and that would hit BMW really hard.

Since they have addressed this with the '17 model they know it is a defect and my opinion is they should do something for existing bikes as a customer service but even if they don't I will enjoy the bike as it is because there is nothing out there that is better for me. I can deal with the clunky transmission because every other aspect of the bike is simply fantastic.
PatM55 likes this.

2009 R1200RT
MOA #46783
post #15 of 42 Old Jan 28th, 2017, 4:11 am

Some of you guys crack me up. Its a motorcycle, having come from older brit bikes and Harleys, (2014 CVO RK) my 2014 RT gearbox clunk is a non issue. If its not doing any damage, and judging on .some of the guys that do really high mileage, it doesn't. Then what is the issue with a clunk. i've ridden a 2015 FJR as well and that clunks in 1st, oh and the lights refuse to come on when it rains (earth problem). The RT is pretty good as far as I'm concerned. I'll probably change it in a year or two, but not because of the clunk IMHO of course
Lexbro likes this.
post #16 of 42 Old Jan 28th, 2017, 7:52 am

I don't have a water cooled RT but I have owned three non BMW wet clutch bikes and they all had a clunk into first. From how I understand it when the clutch is disengaged the gap is so small that the oil is able to transfer enough torque to cause the clunk.

Gerhard

post #17 of 42 Old Jan 28th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Garage

Glad that some of you find it outrageous and funny that someone might consider a clunky transmission as a defect that should be addressed by BMW. I wear earplugs and I can still hear the clunk very loudly - not just into first but 1 thru 3 and back 3 to 1. I do not consider it should be acceptable for my US$25K motorcycle to have such a design flaw. If others don't agree then you are willing to settle for mediocrity.

Besides, if BMW has already addressed the issue they do not consider it acceptable either. Whether they fix it on existing bikes or not is a customer service issue and if you think that getting exceptional customer service is laughable, then again you are willing to settle for mediocrity.
Bighopper likes this.

post #18 of 42 Old Jan 28th, 2017, 4:21 pm

After 405,000 miles on 3 BMWs ( 2 K1200LTs and 1 2008 RT) I can either make the tranny clunk or not depending on my mood that moment. On each of them, if I took the time to load the shifter and pick the right rpm, they would all shift like butter. Since I don't like to hear the clunk from N to 1, I always start the bike when it is in 1st gear with the clutch pulled and the side stand up. I downshift into first just before coming to a stop and stay in first until I go again from the stop.

I have not had a transmission problem with any of these bikes. I do have a 2017 RT on order and will watch this thread and report back if I find it any different.

Ron
LAF likes this.

646,000 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437 BMWLT #3

2000 LTC 90600 miles totaled (Purchased new)
2003 LTE 164188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687 miles)
2008 R1200T 171357 miles (Purchased with 16458 miles)
Total BMW miles 408,000

1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 and sold at 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 and totaled at 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 and sold with 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #19 of 42 Old Jan 28th, 2017, 4:37 pm

Quote:
Glad that some of you find it outrageous and funny that someone might consider a clunky transmission as a defect that should be addressed by BMW. I wear earplugs and I can still hear the clunk very loudly - not just into first but 1 thru 3 and back 3 to 1. I do not consider it should be acceptable for my US$25K motorcycle to have such a design flaw. If others don't agree then you are willing to settle for mediocrity.

Besides, if BMW has already addressed the issue they do not consider it acceptable either. Whether they fix it on existing bikes or not is a customer service issue and if you think that getting exceptional customer service is laughable, then again you are willing to settle for mediocrity.
I don't want to stir the pot, but I gotta take issue calling this clunk a defect. Yes it shouldn't happen. But other than a clunking noise does it reduce reliability? Has anybody attributing the clunk to a know transmission failure? Probably not.

All I got say about mediocrity; Did you not road test the model before you bought it? Did you check the forums to see if previous/current exhibit any known defects? It sounds like you didn't do your homework when you bought a $25k motorcycle.

Your dreaming if you think BMW is going to fix this defect unless it causes serious failures under warranty, injuries or death.
post #20 of 42 Old Jan 28th, 2017, 4:39 pm

Quote:

If its a design flaw its taken them 4 years to fix. So going back to my point about Harleys, my Harley was 26k UK pounds and the one before it clanked into first as well, as does the 2015 FJR, so they must all have design faults as well. Don't think I have ever owned a bike that didn't clunk into gear. Each to their own Good luck if you think they will fix anything on older bikes.
post #21 of 42 Old Jan 28th, 2017, 7:29 pm

I'm just glad they finally fixed those carburetor motor defects. I used to have to pull that choke and let it rev while I hoped I could push it in sooner than normal to get moving. And that bike had 4 of those turds on it. This RT is well down the road by the time I got that Suzuki rolling. It was quick as hell but the agony of the start up was unacceptable.
post #22 of 42 Old Jan 28th, 2017, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

I have a '17 and it shifts like butter...there is no clunk. There is no "flaw" on older models...that's just how they shift. How many transmissions have you heard of failing on a BMW? Very few, it is one of its stronger running points, as opposed to final drive. Next time try to pickup on items one might think are flaws when test riding, as BMW allows long test rides.

2009 R1200RT
MOA #46783
post #23 of 42 Old Jan 29th, 2017, 3:41 pm

I have an old '09 Hex head that IMHO is now the smoothest shifting big twin I've ever ridden. I'm sure the LC is superior in all regards, except maybe for this. When I drop her into 1st @ a stop, it is almost imperceptible. I often double tap just to make sure it's actually engaged even though the gear indicator shows 1st. When I got her that wasn't the case. Both the engine & the gear box had a distinctly agricultural sound & feel. Thought I'd made a big mistake. 30K miles later it's all different. Never owned a bike quite like this. Maybe after many miles the LCs will be the same? A light & smooth clutch/ gear box is top a priority to me. In any event I'll hang on to mine a while longer & wait for some reports on the new '17.
hwyhound likes this.
post #24 of 42 Old Jan 29th, 2017, 8:15 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Well all was fine until they improved the transmission in the 17.

Now it is a defect on our older bikes?

Did you test ride your bike? Did you not feel how it shifted?

I can also make my bike shift like butter or like a notchy VW Bus. All depends.

I just ride it and shift it and it is fine with me. I love my 15 and will continue to ride and love it.

To say a company sold defective stuff because it has improved something is crazy. Man up and ride your bike or man up and buy a 17. But quit whining about an improvement you did not buy, or are entitled to.
PadG, vrickle and MBevans like this.

Lee
BMW MOA #135959
post #25 of 42 Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 4:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I ride. I shift. I repeat as needed.

IBA # 41940

2015 R1200 RT San Marino Blue
2002 Road King Classic - Traded
1971 Honda SL 125 - sold
1970 Honda CB 100 - sold
1969 Sears Mini-Bike- Gone. Never forgotten
post #26 of 42 Old Feb 4th, 2017, 1:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtn View Post
I ride. I shift. I repeat as needed.
Amen

So, I guess I am confused as to why there is even much discussion here. I have been fortunate over the past several years to own and ride a number of different R and K bikes. They all "clunk" a little. So what? It's the ride that is great! I even like the "clunk"!
davidtn likes this.

brselman
2013K1600GTL
2009R1200RT (gone after an accident)
2012R1200R (sold)
2012 Triumph Sprint (sold)
post #27 of 42 Old Feb 5th, 2017, 12:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

This is my 5th RT and the clunk imho is not a defect. Never had a transmission problem on any RT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAP & RT.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	848.2 KB
ID:	122369  
kellenbenz and aquajoe like this.

2013 BMW 90th Anniversary R1200RT
1979 BMW R100RT
2008 Harley Davidson 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic
IBA No. 58411
post #28 of 42 Old Feb 6th, 2017, 7:17 am

It indeed is not a defect. However it was a deal breaker for me. I personally could not live with it. So my faithful 1150 stays until i test ride a new bike. (My 1150 does shift smoothly).
post #29 of 42 Old Feb 6th, 2017, 9:11 am

I feel deprived now In 40 years of riding, I've never owned a bike that had gears that didn't clunk. Harley was top of the tree, always sounded like a bag of spanners, closely followed by old Triumph and BSAs
post #30 of 42 Old Feb 6th, 2017, 9:17 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I feel deprived now In 40 years of riding, I've never owned a bike that had gears that didn't clunk. Harley was top of the tree, always sounded like a bag of spanners, closely followed by old Triumph and BSAs
Funny, but I have never had issues with the old Triumphs or BSA! Then again, I don't have the issue with any of the RTs that I have owned either, with the exception that I do get clunks from my RTs in stop-and-go, and only in 1=>2 or 2=>3 IF I don't have the room to accelerate properly AND if I don't pay attention to the rpm for clunkless shifting (there is a very narrow window). If I had the room, no clunks in any gears, but you do have to develop the right technique as I have.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #31 of 42 Old Feb 6th, 2017, 9:35 am Thread Starter

Older MY RT shifting isn't a defect....it is what it is/was, as it did improve with '17 model. Those who might think a defect that BMW finally fixed...I'd say no more than BMW going from cable to throttle by wire...or any other number of evolutionary changes through the years. I wouldn't necessarily trade up a year or two for new transmission alone, but if I was buying anew I'd opt for smoother/quieter '17 version.
LAF and PadG like this.

2009 R1200RT
MOA #46783

Last edited by Motodan; Feb 6th, 2017 at 5:03 pm.
post #32 of 42 Old Feb 6th, 2017, 12:15 pm

New owner of new '16 RT.
Regarding my experience with the big neutral to 1st shift clunk. Yes it's a pretty big one. Bike actually jumps a bit. However, on mine, when you start from a cold engine. There is zero soft clunk from N to 1st. As the bike warms up, the clunk gets progressively worse to the full on KLUNK when the bike is @ operating temp.
So I've concluded that the problem is within the clutch pack. Maybe the brand/type of oil. I'm @ 200 miles so far and I've noticed the CLUNK was worse for the first 100 miles.
I was wondering if the clunk reaches an acceptable level as the miles accrue.
post #33 of 42 Old Feb 6th, 2017, 5:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zone5ab View Post
New owner of new '16 RT.
Regarding my experience with the big neutral to 1st shift clunk. Yes it's a pretty big one. Bike actually jumps a bit. However, on mine, when you start from a cold engine. There is zero soft clunk from N to 1st. As the bike warms up, the clunk gets progressively worse to the full on KLUNK when the bike is @ operating temp.
So I've concluded that the problem is within the clutch pack. Maybe the brand/type of oil. I'm @ 200 miles so far and I've noticed the CLUNK was worse for the first 100 miles.
I was wondering if the clunk reaches an acceptable level as the miles accrue.
As far as I surmise from reading myriad comments about this, the N to 1st clunk is fully baked into the 2014-16 models, but as you aptly noted disappears only when the engine is cold AND ambient temp isn't over maybe around 62F or so. As the entire bike warms from ambient the clunk manifests. My sense is everything just expands a wee bit as temp increases. The brand and type of oils that otherwise meet the required specs will have no impact on this aspect of shifting behavior I'm afraid, though there is some contention that following the recommended fill only to 1/2 up the site glass will help shifting in general, just not the N to 1st clunk.

What you can expect is that the lower gears (1-2-3) do improve over time, which is quite likely a function of some wear, and perhaps more likely you get better at learning how to finesse it a bit, i.e. know its idiosyncrasies. At 18K miles now the bike (and me) shift beautifully, and that is even w/o using the clutch in the upper gears and I don't have Shift Assist Pro installed. Who knows though: it's conceivable that when the clutch and gearbox hit the 100K mile mark the clunk will diminish as those tight tolerances start to fade. But comparing brand new to 18K miles, no difference here.

I, for one, don't like the N to 1st gear clunk, though there appears to be no evidence that it harms anything. I tend to wonder if over the very long haul it may start to matter, but that is just pure conjecture. Because of N to 1st clunk I opt to keep the bike in 1st gear while stopped for shorter stops; for long traffic signals I kill the engine and leave the bike in 1st, after being mindful to be sure the traffic behind me is fully stopped. Because of this, I never experience this clunk. And as a side point, there bikes are only partially water-cooled and can get warm very fast in hot weather while stopped. So killing the motor in hot weather at a long light is a net plus IMO.

One other fine point. As you're coming to a full stop, downshifting from 2nd to 1st, I find it's helpful to shift briefly to neutral first, then with gentle pressure on the shifter she will fall silently into 1st gear as everything meshes up while you're slowing down. When slowing and not planning on stopping and dropping into 1st, it's helpful to not downshift until you're at or below around 18mph, and then you want to give the throttle more of a blip than you might guess, while giving a good 'definitive' shift into first. If you mambe pambe it you will confuse the dogs as they aren't sure what you're trying to do!

I would definitely give it some time on the 'jumping a little bit'. That really shouldn't be happening. Also, that is something that might be affected by overfilling oil, etc. Give it some time is my recommendation, and if it continues the clutch might need adjusting. My bike never did jump and I'm starting the bike while it's in 1st gear.

Fantastic bike, enjoy your new '16 ;o)

2013 F800GT - Sold

1968 Honda 350 - Sold

Last edited by NoelCP; Feb 6th, 2017 at 5:43 pm.
post #34 of 42 Old Feb 7th, 2017, 10:30 am

I'm happy for the '17 owners..but as we all know, these bikes are works in progress. There will be an '18 with revisions to tempt the '17 owners too. I love my '16 without the more restrictive Euro4 bits. The clunk, as all the clean high mileage RT's out there prove, is harmless and just reminds me I'm home.
NoelCP likes this.

Last edited by Lexbro; Feb 7th, 2017 at 10:59 am.
post #35 of 42 Old Feb 9th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexbro View Post
I'm happy for the '17 owners..but as we all know, these bikes are works in progress. There will be an '18 with revisions to tempt the '17 owners too. I love my '16 without the more restrictive Euro4 bits. The clunk, as all the clean high mileage RT's out there prove, is harmless and just reminds me I'm home.
Yes, and you can count on a "facelift" at some point, too ... like when hexheads became camheads. Or when 1100s became 1150s. Then there are running changes ... like when 1150s became dual plugged. Nada/zip/zero of any of this was ever fitted to older bikes as warranty work ... a completely ridiculous idea.
Lexbro likes this.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #36 of 42 Old Feb 14th, 2017, 10:18 pm

Question Re: 2017 RT transmission

I have a '16 RTW; never ridden a '17, but it would never have occurred to me to complain about the transmission or the clutch on my '16. To me, they both work seamlessly. I almost never put the bike into first gear at a dead standstill. I normally drop into first when the bike is still in motion, just before a stop or a traffic light. With the pro shift, all I need worry about anyway are the first three gears. The rest can be shifted into without the clutch.

This being said, I might notice a huge difference were I to ride a 2017 RTW--probably an excellent reason for me not to do so

--Radix

1966 HONDA 50 (sold)
1967 HONDA 90 STEP THROUGH (sold)
1970 HARLEY-DAVIDSON SPORTSTER (sold)
1971 BMW R60/5 (sold)
199? Honda CB750 Nighthawk (sold)
2012 BMW R1200 GS ADV (sold)
2016 BMW R1200RT (current bike)
post #37 of 42 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 6:37 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radix View Post
I have a '16 RTW; never ridden a '17, but it would never have occurred to me to complain about the transmission or the clutch on my '16. To me, they both work seamlessly. I almost never put the bike into first gear at a dead standstill. I normally drop into first when the bike is still in motion, just before a stop or a traffic light. With the pro shift, all I need worry about anyway are the first three gears. The rest can be shifted into without the clutch.

This being said, I might notice a huge difference were I to ride a 2017 RTW--probably an excellent reason for me not to do so

--Radix
OP didn't mean this thread to be a complaint....just an observation. Older MY shifting isn't a defect or deal killer by any means.

2009 R1200RT
MOA #46783
post #38 of 42 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 9:22 am

Quote:
deal killer by any means.
It was for me
post #39 of 42 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandytales View Post
It was for me
Did you own one and trade it off? Perhaps it's my history with Harley's but RT's shifting response was never a primary focus for me. I say that, but I did start this thread on an "improved" shifting note. Go figure.

2009 R1200RT
MOA #46783
post #40 of 42 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 10:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Did you own one and trade it off? Perhaps it's my history with Harley's but RT's shifting response was never a primary focus for me. I say that, but I did start this thread on an "improved" shifting note. Go figure.
That seem to be the norm in this particular forum!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #41 of 42 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 3:51 pm

Bit harsh to reject a brilliant bike because of a clunk. You need to own a Harley if you want to know what a clunk is
post #42 of 42 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 7:20 pm

Quote:
Bit harsh to reject a brilliant bike because of a clunk. You need to own a Harley if you want to know what a clunk is
Agreed! It's all about the ride. I just put on about 500 miles on my new 2016 R1200RT. Shifting is indeed not as smooth and the bike not as rpm tolerant as the K1600GTL, but handling (at least for me!) is better and the bike is wonderful. You've gotta love the ride!

brselman
2013K1600GTL
2009R1200RT (gone after an accident)
2012R1200R (sold)
2012 Triumph Sprint (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.