• 1 Post By Why aint we riding
  • 1 Post By WillH
  • 1 Post By casbar
  • 1 Post By aquajoe
  • 1 Post By Geoff c

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 7:26 am Thread Starter

2016 RT wet heads rattly engine ?

Does anyone else have a 2016 wet head Rt 1200 Rt and find that they are a rattly engine ??. I asked the dealership about mine at the first service he told me the wet heads are rattly. I just think it sounds and seems as if the tappets are knocking or a gudgeon pin type knock, to be honest it is only at lower speeds and in the first 2 gears when you can hear it. The bike runs great and has no issues that I am aware of.Just would like to know if anyone else finds the same noise. Love to hear your thoughts ?
Cheers
Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 7:42 am

Re: 2016 RT wet heads rattly engine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff c View Post
Does anyone else have a 2016 wet head Rt 1200 Rt and find that they are a rattly engine ??. I asked the dealership about mine at the first service he told me the wet heads are rattly. I just think it sounds and seems as if the tappets are knocking or a gudgeon pin type knock, to be honest it is only at lower speeds and in the first 2 gears when you can hear it. The bike runs great and has no issues that I am aware of. Just would like to know if anyone else finds the same noise. Love to hear your thoughts ?
Cheers
Geoff
Yes, very much so, from the minute I picked up my 2016 RT. I was concerned about it. Dealer said it was fine, would get better as it broke in. 16,000 miles later it still rattles. I have got better ear plugs and have ignored it, but at 3000-4000 on a slight pull, 3rd or 4th gear, it hits harmony.
I have checked my cam lifter clearance myself at 12000 and found all in spec.
I am unhappy about the rattle as compared to other mark motorcycles, but I cant stop riding this RT...!
Keep posting on what you find.
Thank you
Geoff c likes this.

2016 R1200RTW & old British bikes
post #3 of 26 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 8:09 am

For what it is worth... my '14 does not seem ratty at all.

or... is the comment from the OP just about the 16's?
Geoff c likes this.

2014 R1200RT WC

"The Dude abides"

post #4 of 26 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 8:25 am

I came from a Honda ST1300 which was the definition of smoothness, so by comparison a boxer, even a wethead, is a bit rattly. But any bike motor is a mechanical device, an internal combustion engine, things are moving around, opening and closing. The heads on a boxer are way out in the open, not tucked away inside somewhere, so more of those mechanisms can be heard.

Ah, but use the motor for its intended purpose and it's a thing of beauty.
post #5 of 26 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 9:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Hmmmm. Is this about '16 RTs? My '15 RT is not "ratty" at all. In all aspects it is just a wonderful motorcycle. That is assuming I understand what you mean by "ratty".

Geoff c likes this.

Jeff Dean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tucson, AZ -- formerly Madison, WI
'15 R1200RT, '15 R1200R, '67 R60/2 (x3),
'69 R60US, '55 R67/3, '49 R24

post #6 of 26 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 9:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopz View Post
For what it is worth... my '14 does not seem ratty at all.

or... is the comment from the OP just about the 16's?
I have never heard a rattle on my 14 RT either.
Geoff c likes this.

post #7 of 26 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 9:57 am

Could that be related to the clutch slave cylinder recall on some '16 RTs?
I seem to remember reading that one of the symptoms was a rattle at idle when in neutral.

2016 recall
Geoff c likes this.
post #8 of 26 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 10:07 am

Quote:
Does anyone else have a 2016 wet head Rt 1200 Rt and find that they are a rattly engine ??.
Geoff
Yes Geoff, this appears normal for these engines. My guess is: 1, your hearing is decent and 2, you're not using effective ear plugs, emphasis on effective.

I thought this sound was possibly pre-ignition, so asked about it here right after I bought my '16:

Is the soft fluttering sound that happens from 3000 to 3800 rpm under load...

You will note wethead RTs from other model years manifest the same/similar rattling sound. The dealer's explanation is that is has to do w/ where injector actuators are located and a few other design changes leading to reflection of these sounds off of the fairing on the RT models, whereas w/ GT and naked wethead model's it's less obvious. I was concerned enough that I wanted to test ride another one after talking to the dealer, they kindly obliged and the brand new one was identical, so yes it's just a feature of this motorcycle. I use 3M 29dB NNR plugs fully inserted and this obscures this sound 100% for me, plus also improves music sound quality from the SENA 10R headset I use. I do ride short hops w/o plugs, and it might have improved a little now at 18K miles, but it's still there.

My sense is responses from others on the thread who don't experience this is that their hearing likely is impaired at the frequency this type of sound involves, and/or they use plugs consistently.
Geoff c likes this.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #9 of 26 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 11:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM55 View Post
Could that be related to the clutch slave cylinder recall on some '16 RTs?
I seem to remember reading that one of the symptoms was a rattle at idle when in neutral.

2016 recall
A possibility! I don't consider my '15 to rattle either. OTOH, if one is not used to the boxer, one might think that the engine rattles.
Geoff c likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #10 of 26 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 12:04 pm

If the noise that you're referring to sounds like ping (pre-ignition) my '14 does it as well. Mine changes character with engine load / throttle which leads me to believe that it really is pre-ignition. I can make it go away entirely if I maintain speed with little load on the engine. The dealership has told me that it's 'normal' although they couldn't explain as to what was causing it. I did ride a demo bike at the time and that one did it as well. Haven't heard of any engines blowing up so I guess that's good. Would still like a credible explanation though.
NoelCP likes this.

2014 R1200RT - Quartz blue metallic
2010 Kawasaki VN900

-CT USA-
post #11 of 26 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 12:29 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
A possibility! I don't consider my '15 to rattle either. OTOH, if one is not used to the boxer, one might think that the engine rattles.
Exactly I had never rode a boxer. I did find at first it was noisy. Then I looked at how the motor is made, and works, in a BMW DVD. Still not convinced I asked others in our BMW Motorcycle club and they said sounds about right to us.

I have listened to it with and without ear plugs and find the sound fine now. Does take a bit to get used to for new boxer riders, at least for me it did.
LIRider and Geoff c like this.

Lee
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 Sold
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT Totaled 7/17/2010
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 26 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokig View Post
Yes, very much so, from the minute I picked up my 2016 RT. I was concerned about it. Dealer said it was fine, would get better as it broke in. 16,000 miles later it still rattles. I have got better ear plugs and have ignored it, but at 3000-4000 on a slight pull, 3rd or 4th gear, it hits harmony.
I have checked my cam lifter clearance myself at 12000 and found all in spec.
I am unhappy about the rattle as compared to other mark motorcycles, but I cant stop riding this RT...!
Keep posting on what you find.
Thank you
I am ok with it as long as it is normal . I had a RT back in the early 90`s as it was a completely different engine back then I understand that the oil head against the wet head to meet the Euro specs has changed a lot. I am not worried about wearing plugs as I am deaf anyway and wear hearing aids when I am not riding so ,I guess what I am saying is I can still hear the rattle but if it is normal then I am ok with it. As for the bike it is everything my Victory was not and everything I remember the older RT, I had was plus more. I love the handling, torque ,and how wonderful it is every time I ride it. Thanks to everyone that replied it has made me feel a lot better ,plus confirms the mechanic that did the first service was not just bull shitting to me.

Kind regards and safe riding guys also happy New year if I had not wished you all that before as I worked all over Christmas and New Year so can't remember if I wished any one anything lol.
Nil_Time and NoelCP like this.
post #13 of 26 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 8:26 am

My Wethead, now at 26,000 miles, has more engine noise than my Oilhead did. Noises I cannot explain, but have had since new and have heard in other Wetheads. They are the same now as when new, I expect they will be the same at 150,000 miles. Truly "normal".
Geoff c likes this.

'14 R 1200 RT '12 DL 650
post #14 of 26 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 9:10 am

Garage

I commented on my 14 when the dealer started it the first time. It was much noisier than I expected it to be. It is not as noisy now as it was (or not as noticable, may have just gotten used to it) but there is still some tapping similar to your description at near 30K miles. No issues, just noisy compared to the jap bikes. Steve
Geoff c likes this.
post #15 of 26 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 11:02 am

Garage

To borrow from a song by Tom Petty: "Just the normal noises in here."

My F800GT sounded like it had rocks in the engine...........

Ear plugs work wonders.
Geoff c likes this.

Current Bike:
2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
---------------------------------------
Previous Bikes:
2013 BMW F800GT White
---35 Year Gap-----
1966 Honda CB77 305 Superhawk - Red
1977 Husqvarna 250 Enduro - Red
1976 Yamaha 125 Enduro - Red

post #16 of 26 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 12:34 pm

I have a 14 and don't think the engine rattles, gearbox clunky yes. But I did come from Harley so the BMW is like a Rolls Royce
Geoff c likes this.
post #17 of 26 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 1:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casbar View Post
I have a 14 and don't think the engine rattles, gearbox clunky yes. But I did come from Harley so the BMW is like a Rolls Royce
I came from a Victory Cross Roads and too be honest I loved the Victory it was just as comfortable as the BMW but the BMW has more handling characteristic features lol plus a shit load more torque ,it is like my old oil head RT except the noise and better than I ever remember the older RT was way back in the 90`s.. I could never see me going back to any other bike than the BMW`s may be the next one might be a K1600GTL that I was so close to buying this time round lol. But by that time I might be too old as Iam 62 now lol.
post #18 of 26 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 1:32 pm

Every engine is going to make some noise. Certain noises are pleasing to some and drive other people batty and completely imperceptible to others. I love the sewing machine sound that my RT makes. I have and hear the same noise that you're referring to. I call it more of a clattering than a rattle. To me it sounds like valve clatter or ignition knock. I've reported it to the dealer and I've been told it's normal which I'm sure it is. It takes a lot of engineering push to produce over 100hp/liter and still meet emissions regulations.

I seriously considered the K1600GT when purchasing. That engine is sooo smooth and pulls like crazy but I couldn't get over the whining noise from the timing chain. I've put some miles on them and I wanted to turn around and park it because the noise was that aggravating to me. Even with earplugs. My friend has one and he can't understand what I'm talking about. He loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geoff c likes this.
post #19 of 26 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 7:14 am

Quote:
Does anyone else have a 2016 wet head Rt 1200 Rt and find that they are a rattly engine ??. I asked the dealership about mine at the first service he told me the wet heads are rattly. I just think it sounds and seems as if the tappets are knocking or a gudgeon pin type knock, to be honest it is only at lower speeds and in the first 2 gears when you can hear it. The bike runs great and has no issues that I am aware of.Just would like to know if anyone else finds the same noise. Love to hear your thoughts ?
Cheers
Geoff
Take that baby up to 100 mph in 3 rd gear you will not hear a noisy engine!!

2016 RT
2012 RT
2012 Road King
2008 gold wing
2009 RT (hit deer at 70)
2005 RT
2007 road king
2011 triumph america
2008 Dyana lowrider
2006 honda 1100
2008 street glide
2007 ST1300
1973 CB750
1971 honda 450 scrambler
1966 honda 55 trail
post #20 of 26 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the glove View Post
Take that baby up to 100 mph in 3 rd gear you will not hear a noisy engine!!
I thought everyone does that regularly anyway I know there is never a ride go by without getting somewhere near that or a bit more a few time on the ride lol.
LAF likes this.
post #21 of 26 Old Jan 12th, 2017, 4:53 pm

Coming from a Harley Cop Bike the 2015 RTP is quiet. But when compared to my GTL with Akra's it is loud. Last year I put 7500 on the GTL and 14500 on the RTP. The RTP did sound like it had loose tappets but it is quieter since the 12000 mile service.

2014 K1600 Exclusive
2015 R1200RTP
2015 Lexus NX F Sport
Colorado PGR
post #22 of 26 Old Jan 13th, 2017, 12:51 am
Cat Herder

Garage

I thought it was just me but the right side of my '16 all of a sudden started to sound like a pinball machine. I didn't notice it before (or I didn't care). It only has 5,000 miles on it and I thought I had better get it in to the dealer. I could really hear it pinging even with earplugs in. It was really bad starting from a stop and then smoothed out.

Come to find out that it was to much alcohol in the gas I had gotten in Barstow and LA. After refueling with fuel in LV the pinball effect is not as bad as it was. That said, the fuel shouldn't be that different between states. Who Knows!!!

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #23 of 26 Old Jan 13th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Quote:
Cheers
Geoff
I also have a 2016 RT with 8,000+miles. My bike only rattles on a cold start up. It last for about 1 second.. then smooth. Im 64 and my last 4 bikes in the last 44 years were Harley Davidson so this bike to me is very quite and smooth!

My only complaint is the clutch. To me it engages way to early. Of course my BMW dealer assured me I had no idea what I was talking about. I heard there was a recall on the clutch...dealer denied that.
post #24 of 26 Old Jan 13th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2016 View Post
I also have a 2016 RT with 8,000+miles. My bike only rattles on a cold start up. It last for about 1 second.. then smooth. Im 64 and my last 4 bikes in the last 44 years were Harley Davidson so this bike to me is very quite and smooth!

My only complaint is the clutch. To me it engages way to early. Of course my BMW dealer assured me I had no idea what I was talking about. I heard there was a recall on the clutch...dealer denied that.

My experience is the HD clutches are set at the bottom. BMW are set at the top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #25 of 26 Old Feb 20th, 2017, 9:49 pm

My '16 is not rattlingly at all. I'd say it's pretty darn quiet
post #26 of 26 Old Feb 21st, 2017, 6:14 am

Hit and miss here. Have had a '14, '15 and '17 RT...also a '13 and '16 GS. The only one to rattle was the '13 GS...I bought it used with 11,000 miles. The current '17 seems to be the smoothest, quietest thus far (only 600 miles). On the '13, seemed cam chain was the source of most noise. With GS's geared lower, running higher rpm's, without buffering of fairing, certainly accentuates noise levels.

2017 R1200RT
MOA #46783

Last edited by Motodan; Feb 21st, 2017 at 6:31 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.