• 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200
  • 1 Post By PatM55
  • 2 Post By Ponch
  • 1 Post By wethead
  • 1 Post By gerhard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 2:30 am Thread Starter

WTF!

Good for monkeys, dogs and children learning to ride. Will we see driverless motorbikes on the roads soon?

PadG likes this.

The older you get, the more you know and the less you need.

1966 - Lambretta LD 150
1968 - Triumph Tiger Cub
1969 - BSA Shooting Star 500
1977 - Honda Superdream 250
1980 - Honda CX500
1995 - Yamaha VX1100
2011 - BMW R1200RT SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 7:25 am

Re: WTF!

Boy is it April already

Damn if that's not impressive ... I especially like when the bike followed behind the tech walking down the hall and into the room.

Current Rides:
2016 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
Keyless Ride - Alarm - Shift Assist - Central Locking

1996 VF750C Magna - Pearl Shinning Yellow
V&H Classic II Pipes - Factory Pro Jet Kit
Race Tech Cartridge Emulators & Fork Springs
Progressive 440 Rear Shocks
post #3 of 17 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 8:27 am

Part of the satisfaction from riding a bike is that you survived the trip, if the bike is capable of going down the road without rider input it is just becoming a carnival ride where would that satisfaction come from. Not really my idea of fun.

Gerhard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 8:29 am

I'll look to see if they have it at the Motorcycle Show in DC this weekend. There should be a long line to try it out, lol.

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Current: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
post #5 of 17 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 10:08 am

I can see using some of the useful collision avoidance routines in driverless vehicles being implemented in non driverless vehicles which I know already has been happening, but being a passive passenger in a driverless vehicle gives me the willies, and what's more there is inherent pleasure in driving, so I really don't get it except for old or disabled folks. This self-balancing MC is odd and I can't tell what I would want it for, though I must admit if I could stroke the front fender on my RT and have it follow me out of the garage, well, I could live with that!

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #6 of 17 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 10:24 am

Try doing that with an LT.
gorm5 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Signature
post #7 of 17 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 11:51 am

What's the next step, riderless motorcycle? Send your bike on a tour while you stay comfortably home, doing something else.
gorm5 likes this.
post #8 of 17 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Question Re: WTF!

The point being what exactly?

Regards, Roger.
post #9 of 17 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Yet they can't come out with an upgrade to the Goldwing and ST.
LAF and Dann323 like this.

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #10 of 17 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 10:23 am

We are headed to the day when humans will be the weak link in technological advancement. Steven Hawking warned mankind that once computers can self diagnosis, fix and improve themselves that humans will become insignificant and start serving them. Scary isn't it.

Scott
2007 LT
post #11 of 17 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 1:12 pm

If i send it out to get a pint of milk do i still have to take it for a walk later? should it be on a lead?
post #12 of 17 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 9:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM55 View Post
What's the next step, riderless motorcycle? Send your bike on a tour while you stay comfortably home, doing something else.
Yeah, and then get it to take all the happy snaps of all the interesting places it's been to on the way!

2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue
They call me......Tony
post #13 of 17 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 10:05 pm

Oh look! Another answer to the question nobody asked. Just like whizzy brakes on the R1150.

If you can't balance a bike (most children can), perhaps you need another pastime 😊

Nine out of five pilots are lysdexic.
post #14 of 17 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 10:45 pm

Gentlemen,
The next thing is virtual touring: you can sit on your arses, activate the app on your phone and then sit back and take a cannonball run cross country on the bike of your choice from the menu bar.

You can probably stick the beer bottle opening in your mouth below the goggles but that will require some dexterity since your whole body will be 'riding a bike somewhere'...maybe don't do drinking on the twisties or you might spill your beer all over the sofa.

Someone was complaining about the re-sale value of BMW bikes in another thread; what do you think the re-sale value of your bike is gonna be then?

JHON CONNOR! PLEASE SAVE US FROM THE MACHINES!!!
RogerM likes this.
post #15 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2017, 4:59 pm

I look at this kind of thing differently. This type of R&D has tremendous potential to improve our riding enjoyment yet make it even safer. Imagine not needing to wear a helmet and all the gear we do for our safety. BMW has. (see the links below)

I don't know about you, but I'd rather not have to pay the price if I screw up. I'd prefer to minimize that possibility. It's one of the reasons I ride an R1200RTW with ABS, traction control and ATGATT. Heck, if they made an ejection seat that would save my azz if/when I screwed up I'd be interested. I'm sure there were old "luddite" fighter pilots who said disparaging things about them when they were first introduced as well. There are still people today arguing about the need for ABS.

I'm all for the advancement of new tech that can improve the safety of motorcycle riding no matter how far out or how far fetched the idea seems at this point in time.

2014 R1200RT Ebony
2008 Suzuki M109R2 Black
post #16 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiRyder View Post
I look at this kind of thing differently. This type of R&D has tremendous potential to improve our riding enjoyment yet make it even safer. Imagine not needing to wear a helmet and all the gear we do for our safety. BMW has. (see the links below)
I guess the difference between wanting to be a passenger of a capable vehicle or trying to become a more capable rider whose skill keeps him safe. I like the rider aids like abs, traction control etc. but I want the decision making to stay with me not a computer.

Gerhard
LAF likes this.

post #17 of 17 Old Jan 8th, 2017, 6:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
I guess the difference between wanting to be a passenger of a capable vehicle or trying to become a more capable rider whose skill keeps him safe. I like the rider aids like abs, traction control etc. but I want the decision making to stay with me not a computer.

Gerhard
Hopefully you'll have the choice.

2014 R1200RT Ebony
2008 Suzuki M109R2 Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.