Anyone tried this seat... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 31st, 2016, 10:40 am Thread Starter

Anyone tried this seat...

I'm fond of the OEM seat, but add'l storage is attractive on Corbin's new smuggler/seat combination, looks like one could still use a top case with it, and the seat actually looks like it could be nice. The back wall portion of the seat appears to be farther back than the OEM pillion seat so could be nice for taller folks to get a little less knee flex by moving back a little more:

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 31st, 2016, 11:00 am

Re: Anyone tried this seat...

Noel, I looked at one some time back. I am not a big fan of Corbin seats. A little stiff for my liking. The smuggler case doesn't appear when up close to hold more than a tank bag would. I have seen these on bikes in my travels and I believe a few folk's have/had them on their earlier model RT's. The only other down side I considered was I ride a lot 2up. Too much swapping when I could just throw the tank bag on.
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 1st, 2017, 10:55 am

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA_________________2015 R1200RT
Garage

It almost looks like the Smuggler was designed to only work with Corbin seats. If that's the case, they've sold themselves short. I had a Corbin on my cruiser. Love my RDL. I won't go back to Corbin.

Personally, I'd rather throw some sort of other bag over the rear seat. Plus my top case...

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 1st, 2017, 12:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92merc View Post
It almost looks like the Smuggler was designed to only work with Corbin seats. If that's the case, they've sold themselves short. I had a Corbin on my cruiser. Love my RDL. I won't go back to Corbin.

Personally, I'd rather throw some sort of other bag over the rear seat. Plus my top case...
Yes it appears you have to buy both, and as I'm very happy w/ the OEM seat it's way too much $$ to pay for 9 or so liters of storage. Looks kinda cool though, the pair of parts that is. I had some fantasies of leaving the 28L case off which stays on the bike 24/7, but truly it looks good on the bike and it's all I need for local riding anyway. The 28L top plus side cases were amply adequate for a 9K mile ride last summer. I seem to be clamoring to dress up the doll, but dang it seems to be good enough as it is. I've been toying w/ the awesome looking CW Erica LEDs under the mirrors, but once again as I think about it, I don't need them either as I don't ride at night enough and while the conspicuity argument is there, it's not that compelling to me over other things I have done to improve conspicuity. Oh well, ride and be happy!

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 8th, 2017, 5:29 pm

You might want to check Corbin's site. I am almost certain that the smuggler can be run with the OEM saddle. They do come up on eBay occasionally.
I am excited as my C14's saddle is at RDL getting built. Can't wait to get it back😁
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 8th, 2017, 6:17 pm

I bought a Corbin for my 2014 RT and it was really uncomfortable. old it and bought and Sargent which I am very happy with. Clearly very subjective, but it as like night and day for me.

-------------------------------------------------
'73 R75/5
'14 R1200 RT
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 9:32 am

I've had a Corbin seat on 3 of my RT's. Best edition for me. Super comfortable. Puts you in a good position. The seat is somewhat stiff but I don't feel it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.