Highway Pegs - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 29th, 2016, 11:45 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Highway Pegs

I have fitted my R1200RTW with Ilium crash bars front and rear. A thought of Highway pegs has crossed my mind. I ride, half the time, on an 02 Harley Wideglide. It has forward controls and it is very comfortable to ride . It does mean my suspension and back absorb all road bumps. With foot pegs below I can stand a bit on real rough roads. So my objection to Highway pegs is the shift and rear break are behind and could be an issue in an evasive maneuver. The RT is fitted with a hand brake that operates the front and rear brakes. It has the Shift Assist Pro. This leads me to wonder what it would take to install a tank side suicide shifter. What a combo with Shift Assist. I think I will look into this. The best of two worlds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 12:09 am

Re: Highway Pegs

Are you trolling?

To ride safely I would want the controls to be engrained in muscle memory not trying to decide should I move my feet or take my hand from the handlebars to accomplish a shift.

Gerhard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 1:30 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I am not or do I "Troll" . This is in fact something I have thought about.

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 7:17 am

Garage

I bought my bike used (1500 miles) and it already had the Ilium crash bar and highway pegs installed. I have owned the bike 7 months and have not used the highway pegs yet. I have tried a couple of times but it is a bit awkward and one does have to shift position to reach them and then, as you thought about, in an emergency I would have to shift again to get back into another position.

The only place I can imagine me using them would be on a very long and deserted interstate.

I have a friend that rides a Harley and he uses his highway pegs all the time but I don't think it changes his riding position as much to use them.

Current Bike:
2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
---------------------------------------
Previous Bikes:
2013 BMW F800GT White
---35 Year Gap-----
1966 Honda CB77 305 Superhawk - Red
1977 Husqvarna 250 Enduro - Red
1976 Yamaha 125 Enduro - Red

post #5 of 9 Old Dec 31st, 2016, 11:17 am

I had wunderlich engine guards & ilium hwy pegs on my 2011. I did use the hwy pegs when returning from AK, on those 700+ mile days. I can say I usually only had one foot on a hwy peg at a time. Just allowed me to stretch the legs without a need to stop. Just another POV.
PS... I would not think a hand shifter would be any advantage since the hwy pegs should only be used on interstate.
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 31st, 2016, 4:40 pm

I think they might be useful if you're doing IB rides and doing a fair amount of freeway time on those IB rides, but frankly it seems important to keep alert and awake to get off the bike at the least every 90 minutes or so which often is fuel and restroom and food stops anyway, and if you're doing this it's a hard argument in favor of highway pegs for the various reasons you and others keyed in on. If you've got musculoskeletal problems that make the ergos on RT wrong for you, bum hips or knees or low back etc then could be the WideGlide is truly the better fit.

2016 R1200RT - Dreamliner
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Parallel Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold
post #7 of 9 Old Jan 6th, 2017, 7:03 pm

Noel, I have now read your reply a number of times and get a chuckle each time, so I just couldn't resist replying. 90 minutes? I ride longer than that to get a cup of coffee.
As for muscle or skeletal problems? Got both and an ST is a much better bike with regards to not aggrevating than a cruiser.
When traveling to a destination I will generally ride from fill up to fill up. I would assume most follow a similar pattern. When putting about I prefer stopping at a 2 hour interval or when I come across something worth a stop. Again I guess most folks do the same.
Hwy pegs just give you another option to stretch out or relieve some pressure without adding a delay in your ride.
I did read somewhere that when riding you should drink enough fluid's that you need to relieve yourself once an hour. Supposedly it wards off dehydration. That's the big issue when riding distance, hot or cold. Guess this suggestion is similar to yours.
I found the best advice for long rides to ward off fatigue was to take a 15 minute power nap mid day. I will stop at 12 hours of riding at a proper sit down meal for an hour. Afterwards I am good for another 12.
We all have our own habits, but it doesn't change my opinion that a suicide shifter would not be worth the R&B time on the RT
post #8 of 9 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 11:47 am

I've had a set of generic highway pegs and a set of Iliumworks highway pegson my '14 RT. Iliumworks cost twice as much and are worth every penny. Yes, they are good for long stretches of highway but also useful for just changing your position. Having somewhere else to rest your feet or stretch your legs keeps you comfortable and alert.

I'm with Teach...90 minutes rarely even gets me to the "100 mile rule" for breakfast.
post #9 of 9 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Garage

I'm looking to get highway pegs also. At 6'4" - I need to stretch once in a while. When I had R1200C, I would often have my legs on top of the cage over the engine heads. It wasn't a peg, but it worked well. I also tried using the passenger pegs but that seemed much more risky should I need to get my feet back quickly.

Once again running through lots of forums taking in all the views and pictures before I write a few checks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.