HELP! Remove Battery 2016 RTW - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By McWideglide
  • 3 Post By RT2016

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 7th, 2016, 7:51 am Thread Starter

HELP! Remove Battery 2016 RTW

It the most frustrating thing. I can't do something as simple as removing the Battery. I've read the owners manual and called the dealer. Dealer says you have to know where to push and pull and I better bring it in. Anyone have specific knowledge of the finesse required to remove the plastic clip that holds this battery in place. I assume this applies to 2014-2016.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 7th, 2016, 8:44 am

Re: HELP! Remove Battery 2016 RTW

Try posting on her https://1200rt.com some good knowledge purely RT.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 7th, 2016, 5:43 pm Thread Starter

thanks i will....

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 7th, 2016, 5:58 pm

hi,
noobie here.... long time rider, new member.
i purchased a 2016 rtw about a month ago.

i pulled out my battery to hardwire two 12 awg wires to both positive and neg so i can add myself a fuse box.

when i opened up the right side up and exposed the battery, i was like hmmm.....
since it was secured by some rubber band type of material that clips on to the bottom at 2-corners.

1. remove the rubber band fastener and let it hang loose.
2. there is a plastic cover that covers up the mid+bottom portion of the battery,
i took a philips screw driver and i inserted it between the battery and the tray and lifted it up a bit.
3. then that plastic cover just comes off, if it doesn't, just push it up, and pull it out.
3. then you have to pull out the battery. mine was wrapped in some styrofoam wrap so it was bit tricky...
but once i got it out like 80% of the way, it was enough space for me to add the wires up.

i hope that helped~
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 7th, 2016, 11:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had my battery out to attach a charger pigtail. I followed the owners manual and it was straight forward. The hardest part for me was getting the tab to reingauge the grommet. Spit was the solution. The foam insulation was interesting.
AttackPug likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 1st, 2017, 6:38 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekahng View Post
hi,
noobie here.... long time rider, new member.
i purchased a 2016 rtw about a month ago.

i pulled out my battery to hardwire two 12 awg wires to both positive and neg so i can add myself a fuse box.

when i opened up the right side up and exposed the battery, i was like hmmm.....
since it was secured by some rubber band type of material that clips on to the bottom at 2-corners.

1. remove the rubber band fastener and let it hang loose.
2. there is a plastic cover that covers up the mid+bottom portion of the battery,
i took a philips screw driver and i inserted it between the battery and the tray and lifted it up a bit.
3. then that plastic cover just comes off, if it doesn't, just push it up, and pull it out.
3. then you have to pull out the battery. mine was wrapped in some styrofoam wrap so it was bit tricky...
but once i got it out like 80% of the way, it was enough space for me to add the wires up.

i hope that helped~
I just installed a Fuzeblock FZ-1.... I used the power lug in front of the battery on the right side of the bike to connect the power lead for the Fuseblock. As far as a ground I used one of the bolts that holds the side panel to the frame.

Works great and there is no extra wires going to the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Power.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	902.4 KB
ID:	120969   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161231_170539_HDR.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	120977   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161231_170559.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	120985  
tvguy, Bighopper and NoelCP like this.
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 9:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2016 View Post
I just installed a Fuzeblock FZ-1.... I used the power lug in front of the battery on the right side of the bike to connect the power lead for the Fuseblock. As far as a ground I used one of the bolts that holds the side panel to the frame.

Yes, that works, but it's not a good idea to have the ground connection far from the battery, with modern electronics! You will do better to move that connection onto the battery itself, which is very easily done. The +ve connection is fine where you have it.

Why it's not a good idea to have the ground connection far from the battery? You can read this (and save me time of explaining ): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity).

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #8 of 15 Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 10:05 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedomeRT View Post
I don't think your ground loop theory applies in direct current power systems, especially not those found in vehicles. Grounding to the frame of the vehicle is fine as long as you make a low resistance (good conductivity) connection.
Oh, it certainly does! I learned the lesson the hard way, many years ago! Noise is what you are trying to eliminate, and some of these electronics are very sensitive to "noise" in the circuit! Heck, it's easy enough to move that connection, and so why not play it safe?

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #9 of 15 Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 10:18 am

Garage

I did some research and deleted my post. I was thinking old school, before these vehicles had computers in them. My '67 ford probably wouldn't have been to worried about a ground loop. A new BMW may well be...
post #10 of 15 Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 12:34 pm

A timely topic for me. With the advent of the cold weather, I decided it would be a good idea to add a pigtail to the battery to make attaching the trickle charger an easy process throughout the Winter. Wow ! I was unaware that a Ph.D. in Teutonic Mechanical Science was a prerequisite to what I wrongly assumed was a simple undertaking. I have never had such difficulty accessing a battery on all of my previous motorcycles, cars or boats of the last 50 years. Eventually, I prevailed but not without ruining my New Year's resolution to refrain from swearing, throwing tools and kicking the dog. Good thing my wife had presciently decided that it would be a good time to visit her mother.
post #11 of 15 Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 1:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedomeRT View Post
I did some research and deleted my post. I was thinking old school, before these vehicles had computers in them. My '67 ford probably wouldn't have been to worried about a ground loop. A new BMW may well be...
Yeah, I know what you mean! I had been working on bikes and cars since the '60s and I would have done the same thing that you did. Just sharing my experience of having done it wrong before!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #12 of 15 Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 1:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundTrip View Post
A timely topic for me. With the advent of the cold weather, I decided it would be a good idea to add a pigtail to the battery to make attaching the trickle charger an easy process throughout the Winter. Wow ! I was unaware that a Ph.D. in Teutonic Mechanical Science was a prerequisite to what I wrongly assumed was a simple undertaking. I have never had such difficulty accessing a battery on all of my previous motorcycles, cars or boats of the last 50 years. Eventually, I prevailed but not without ruining my New Year's resolution to refrain from swearing, throwing tools and kicking the dog. Good thing my wife had presciently decided that it would be a good time to visit her mother.
Awww....come, on, it's not THAT bad!! If you are intending on working on the bike yourself then you had better get used to getting the tupperware off. Just watch those two flimsy tabs on the main panels, that's all.

BTW, if you have the right charger (not necessary one sold by BMW), you can simply plug it into the aux. outlet on the RT.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #13 of 15 Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 3:39 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Not sure what the hubba hubba is?

You remove two screws, pop a plastic pin out of the rubber grommet and there is the battery. One 10mm bolt takes the ground off, a torx takes the hot "jumper" out, slip the wires on their perspective posts and put it back on.

No need to pull a battery to install a pig tail for anything, or multiple anythings.

I have the battery charger pigtail, the Gerbings pigtail, the ezCAN, the AF-XEID ground all hooked up with no issues on those two posts.

I must admit I never pulled the battery but it does not look too bad at all.

Lee
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 Sold
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT Totaled 7/17/2010
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 4th, 2017, 11:22 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT2016 View Post

I am impressed... I did not buy a new Fuzeblock for my '16 because I didn't think it would fit. Everything is so tight under the seat.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 15 Old Jan 9th, 2017, 7:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I am impressed... I did not buy a new Fuzeblock for my '16 because I didn't think it would fit. Everything is so tight under the seat.
I put my Fuzelock under the clutch-side front panel. Maybe not quite as easy to get to as under the seat but still accomplished in a few minutes. Follow the link for pics.

https://goo.gl/photos/oKegqHrFFR8tQUAM8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.