BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

2014 R1200RT Windshield Windscreen Doesn't Lower Automatically After Engine Shut Off

6K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  LIRider 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone, I am new to forum and new to BMW bikes, this is my first BMW a 2014 R1200RT. I got it used with 11,000kms on it about 3 weeks ago.
I love it. I have just come back from a long trip (got 16,000 kms) on it now, and noticed on my 2nd last day, when I shut the engine off, the windshield /windscreen no longer retracts to it's lowest position on it's own.

The switch still operates normally, so it's not the end of the world, but I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

#2 · (Edited)
Zeus, welcome on the board.

First, please do everyone a favor and edit your profile to show where you are. No, it has nothing to do with your questions but you, and others, might find it helpful. Shoot, you may even find a friend who is nearby to show you the ropes....

I do not have a direct answer to your question but I am willing to guess that there is a setting/switch on some page or other of the Manual or on the dashboard.

Poke around a bit...

and if it is a '14 it might still be under warranty. Maybe a short trip to a dealer... check your paperwork to see if there is a date the bike went into service... meaning when did the original owner take possession? Again, a drop in to a dealer and a chat with the service writer might lead to a good answer.

#3 ·
The only instant that I had read of this happening was right after the bike had its firmware updated! Something got screwed up in the process, or so it seem. In any case, as hopz had suggested, you should see your dealer. This is not normal. BTW, in the case of the person who had this issue after the update, he had elected NOT to get the issue corrected, since he prefers the shield to stay up after power off - making for easier task to wash/clean the shield!

.....and welcome to the forum!

#4 ·
Thank you for the advice, I greatly appreciate it, I have updated my profile information as suggested.

The bike is under warranty until Sept 2017, I live a few hours away from any dealer, so it's not a quick trip for me unfortunately. Further I live in the country and do my best to avoid trips into the congestion of Toronto. Thus for this reason I posted here to learn if there is a setting or procedure to fix this.

Prior to posting this, I have called 2 dealers, read the through the manual and researched online with no luck.

I am still hopeful someone has had this experience and it may be a process of "turning keys and pressing buttons" since there is no setting I can find in the manual or on the dash menu. The only thing that I did any different was turning and locking the handlebars one night during the trip and I noticed it after this. I have tried to recreate this in an attempt to reverse the issue but it could just be co-incidental.

It really isn't a big deal, but I do have concern that this is a symptom of perhaps a larger problem.
I will eventually need to go in for service and plan to bring it in by trailer and leave it with them for a few days in the hopes of resolving this.

Thanks again for welcoming me to the forum,

#5 ·
I wouldn't worry about it! If it doesn't bother you then get it taken care of when you get to the dealers. From all that I have read, this shouldn't affect anything else. You will need to have the dealer update the firmware anyway, if that hadn't been done already (should be free).

#6 ·
UPDATE: Ok, so I turned the key on, raised the windscreen. Then I cleaned out the right side (as you are sitting on it) of the bike in the area where the arm retracts down. I found a moth, and some debris in there, so I cleaned it out with my fingers in the trough.
VOILA! Turned the key off and it's been working great all day today. I am guessing there is a sensor or something in there. I am thinking that the service manual (when it arrives) will be helpful with items like this. Also, I really hope anyone else reading this will find some value in it!

#16 ·
Exactly! :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.