BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Batteries, ABS, and lights

988 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  6speedTi 
#1 ·
Hello,
I own a 2007 r1200rt. I recently installed Clearwater driving lights and almost immediately the brake failure light came on.
The dealer I bought the bike from did not know the battery age. Any one have any thoughts?

#4 ·
I used the Clearwater harness and tapped into the high beam white wire as per instructions. The error code shows up with the lights connected or disconnected. Every now and then the bike will show all is well until the first or second time I apply the brakes and the failure light will re-light. I have read the ABS is very sensitive electrically and was hoping some one had more insight before I take my bike to the dealer and find out the hard way my only problem is the battery. The ABS fails the static test even after the battery has been fully charged but again I do not know the age of the battery.

#8 ·
I have a 2012 RT. I installed my lights similar to yours. I used the white wire for high beam. No faults on my camhead. Probably a coincidence right after installation. Try going back and disconnect the power source to the lights and remove the white wire. Then see how it goes.

#5 ·
I also have an 07 with the ABS failure light coming on after having LED brake/signal lights front and back installed by the dealer. When my ABS light comes on the ignition is completely dead when trying to restart after shutting bike off. Like no battery is connected; no sound, no display. Dealer had ABS pump rebuilt and after less than 200 miles it has happened again. They picked it up at my office today to diagnose and repair. I was without it for five weeks and this week is shot, too. And I have a ride scheduled for Friday thru Sunday.

I'll let you know what they think they find when I hear from them. Hopefully soon.

This is work done by a BMW motorcycle dealer, so they should be familiar with the electrical system. The lights were made for the bike and came with the proper resistors, connectors, etc.

I really frustrated.

#6 ·
There is apparently an ignition system component in the rear of the bike that had failed. It was replaced and it seems fine now. The ABS pump probably didn't require rebuilding. Dealer fixed the ignition system at no charge. I should probably ask if it was less costly than the ABS pump service and get a refund.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.