BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

INNOVV Motorcycle Dashcam

6K views 39 replies 19 participants last post by  Monster 2.0 
#1 ·
I installed a Innovv K1 dashcam on my R1200RTW. I have included some install photos as well as a youtube video link to a short segment of a ride at dusk this evening. The unit has two cameras and I used iMovie to get the picture in picture image you see on the video. The unit will turn on and record when the bike starts up. With a 64Gb card, I get 5.5 hours of recording. This DVR will loop record and begin to overwrite older video. There is a button that is installed that will lock clips you want to save. You have the choice of clip sizes of 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes or 10 minutes. There is also a GPS as you can see the longitude and latitude as well as speed indicated on the bottom of the video. There is software provided that will include a map with the video if you wish. The website is Innovv motorcycle camera | motorcycel recordign system | car dashcam. It ships directly from Hong Kong. I ordered mine on Friday and it arrived today.

Attachments

See less See more
1 6
#2 ·
Very nice! I might have to give something like that a shot ...

#3 ·
Where did you mount the display. Is it waterproof?

Bruce

#10 ·
The control unit and the GPS/speaker are not waterproof. I suggest wrapping them in some press and seal. Everything except the cameras on the RTP is inside the electronics box. The power comes from a PDM60. I highly recommend this camera as I have to record everything when I am on the bike.

#15 ·
Just got mine and will be looking for ways to mount it all on my LT. No radio so the DVR will go in the odments box. Mounting the cameras may prove challenging though.

#25 ·
I have had 3 of them. One I lost when I put it on another vehicle and failed to tether the suction cup I was using. I grew tired of messing with batteries and " is it recording or not" and has the battery died. Most of that form cameras and I have 3 different ones function differently when power is applied. Some go straight into charge mode with external power. Others like the SJCam I had would record using external power BUT, you had to power on the camera before applying the power or it too would go into charge mode.

Here is another nicety which I got. A waterproof case with power capability. Still have to mess with start and stop, no auto record feature and getting the camera powered on before starting the bike.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-M...1848124&sr=8-1&keywords=waterproof+sjcam+case

I just finished installing the K1 this weekend and will post some better pictures later. DVR is mounted in the odments box. Had some challenges as the front camera cable is longer than the rear so I tried to use a 60 cm USB extender cable for the rear but the DVR failed to recognize the cameras front or rear when using the extenders so I had to pull it all apart and flip the cameras locations to place the DVR where I wanted it.

Ordered some tempered glass protectors for the Hero 4 on a whim in hopes they would fit the K1 cameras and they are just about perfect. Not sure if they will need additional adhesion or if what is on them will hold them on but I will figure out something simple.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0157Q4L1U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

Reactions: mtrevelino
#24 ·
IRide4U,

I was just wondering if the setup you have pictures of is the $265 kit that they sell? Was it easy to install and set up? Instead of the PDM-60, could you have also used the powered accessory outlets in the control panel under the radio box? Thank you in advance for your reply.

#26 ·
Took my bike out for a spin tonight to see how the K1 performs. I think I need to make the rear mount out of thicker metal as I see some vibration from it. Also, every time I turn on the high beam, the cameras stop recording. It seems to be sensitive to voltage changes or voltage drops so I may have to separate it off my additional accessory relay which also powers the light bars and HID high beam to a separate relay directly fed from the battery. Could be a wire size issue so I will do some checking before rewiring. Video looks good though so I have high hopes. Some better pictures of the install. I will have to come up with a way to protect the GPS from rain as it is the only exposed component not water proof. Had a hole from broken faring parts so I used it to route the GPS wire through.

Attachments

#29 ·
Do you know if the Innovv K1 dashcam can automatically do timed still photos, rather than just video?

Like take a pic every minute or so, until the card is full?

#30 ·
I have not found that feature available on the K1 menus so seeing that i have only just gotten it, I would say no. I still have mounts for my other action cameras such as the one mtrevelino is going to purchase and I plan on setting it up to do just that, take pictures every few seconds as the do have that function. The K1 seems to be dedicated to video.

#31 ·
I'm not too interested in recording but I would love to have a rear camera w/ a display to see what's coming at you from behind. Does this setup provide this capability?

#32 ·
Yes, if you mount the DVR in a viewable location but the DVR is not waterproof and neither is the GPS unit. There is an OFF setting for the LCD display time out so I assume that would leave it on all the time rather than the other options of 30 set to 3 min. It does not come with a waterproof enclosure like the action cameras do so you would have to make accomodations for that if you had it mounted in view. Look at the cables that connect to it and make a decision if you want all that up on your bars.

You might be better off with a WiFi enabled cam and a smart phone app.

Just bought some small project boxes to see if I can make a protective enclosure for the GPS in case it rains.

#33 ·

Attachments

#34 ·
#35 ·
I was thinking more along the lines of using the otterbox/pelican case that is clear....as in, you can put the unit inside the case and still be able to see the screen through it. It's a way to be able to utilize the screen inside the case that is weather proof....

Hard mount the case up near the dash somewhere and then you can pop the unit in and out as needed.....

#36 ·
There are a lot of wires for this thing so having it out in the open would not be pretty plus, you don't need to see it to know it is doing its job. It does its thing in seclusion. It is made to be placed in or under something to keep it out of the weather and left there most of the time. The less you see of it, the better.

I have the GPS attached with Velcro so if it fits in one of those boxes, I can place it in the box and use Velcro to attach the box in the same place if weather gets bad. the box will easily fit in the odments box along with the DVR so a quick stop and the GPS is protected.

#39 ·
Cams are good to have. I have a Drift Ghost S on my RT.
It's weather resistant so I don't need a cover for it.
You never know what pops up out of nowhere. I agree cams can work against you. But you have the option most of the time to use video footage in an incident.

Here are a few assholes. Thank goodness nothing bad
happened.

#40 ·
Cams are good to have. I have a Drift Ghost S on my RT.
It's weather resistant so I don't need a cover for it.
You never know what pops up out of nowhere. I agree cams can work against you. But you have the option most of the time to use video footage in an incident.

https://youtu.be/wt5BZrtAHDc

https://youtu.be/WvKmmxBamUU

https://youtu.be/7z1VwwBb2Eo

Here are a few assholes. Thank goodness nothing bad
happened.
WOW, and people wonder where road rage stems from. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale in 80, rode my 650 Kaw there from Ohio. I went to visit my best friend who still lives there a year ago, you couldn't pay me to ride a bike there now. Keep safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.