BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Dealer corrupted bike's software 2014 R1200RTW

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  iride4u 
#1 ·
y new to me 2014 RTW was in for Shift Assist Pro upgrade (included as part of the deal when I purchased). When attempting to load the option software they somehow corrupted the bikes software to where they turned the bike into a brick. Won't start or run or anything. They are updating the BMW diagnostic computer SW and hope to try again tomorrow. If that does not work they said they need to get the Vehicle Order (I read as original SW) from BMW to try to reload it all.

Anyone ever have anything like this happen? How was it resolved?

Bike under warranty until Sept 2017 so not worried about any costs - just worried it could take awhile - to which they may have to do something for me since I purchased just 2 weeks ago.

Thanks

Charles
Modify message

#2 ·
It can happen, which is a drag... but if it ends up taking awhile the dealer could offer you a rental to play on at no cost to you. Considering you just got it...

As far as BMW NA goes, they don't give a shit. It could sit in the shop for a year. Its all on the dealer to fix it. :crying:

#3 ·
It happens
On my Hexhead they had to reload 3 times until it was finally sorted.
The 2014 has still got a software bug (Screen doesn't go back to resting position when key if OFF)after a Sofware update.
But I didn't go back as I like the screen to hold position when washing the bike :)
But the dealer should give you a loan bike at no cost, until it's sorted.
The dealer's PC should be hooked up to the Internet at all times as BMW pushes updates overnight, so that they always have the latest update.
If his Internet went down for a few seconds, his software might have gotten corrupted.

#6 ·
So my dealer finally got it straightened out. It was their ICOM interface between the computer and the bike that failed.

However - they also gave me the option to take a do-over on my used bike purchase and buy new if I wanted. I had struggled about 3 weeks ago between and outstanding deal on a new bike and one on a used bike.

I decided to unwind the first deal and get a new one. Got San Marino Blue/Silver with every option.

Cheers.

#12 ·
I'll just say it is a fantastic dealership. I got my new 2016 for almost 4K under MSRP.

950 BMW rebate
500 Loyalty rebate
400 BMW Car Club Rebate - joined for one year at 48 to save 400 - what a deal !

Then dealer took about another 2K off.

How can you say no to that!

Love the keyless ignition and central locking.

#13 ·
Well, if it sound like the dealership did you so well, I would say that to mention them would give positive PR to that shop.

The reason I was interested in the shop was, in case it happened to me; I could tell my mech the reference as to where this happened also, and maybe my mech could call up for solution advice.

If you are so inclined, you can pm me the shop name.

But I mean, I am not interested in knowing if it makes you feel like you might create something negative for the shop.

I am one of those persons who thinks 'stuff is gonna go wrong' with combustible (and these high techie) engines. But if a shop takes care of it, that is a classy outfit then.

I travel quite a bit up and down the West coast and the South side of the US.
I am like a BMW shop tourist. I try to visit as many as I can during the time I am traveling. I must say, I don't have anything negative to say about the many shops I have had work done, or visited.

My favorites are: #1, Bob's in Jessup MD, Chico in CA...get this: even the motel's desk clerk I stays at has heard of the great rep at Chico's BMW. I mentioned to him that my bike was being worked on at the shop and he said: "Oh yea, people come from all over the Northwest to have their bikes worked on at Chico"...that was amazing. And recently I had a BMW car horn installed in my wethead at Santa Fe, NM Beemer: the best people ever!! small, but totally classy. People from TX go to have their bikes worked there.

Ok, one more story: recently I came across a hardheaded young man at a shop in WA. He would not listen to me on how to go about installing an aftermarket tail-light insisting it did not work--because he was doing it his way. He also left bolts undone on my left lower panel and it blew back on me while I was on the road.

Now this shop is really good and I would go there again except I would not have that same guy work on my bike. I thought he was talented and knew his stuff well, but a bit stubborn and hardheaded--which often comes with youth.

I suspect he 'll either come around to be a great tech or he is gonna do something else for a living; because in BMW shops, you dont survive as a tech unless you are customer service person. At least, that's my take on BMW shops.

'm glad you got your bike software straightened out.

#14 ·
BMW had a bad batch of computers or computer interfaces. I had the same problem with my 2015 RTP. The dealer gave me a GTL to ride until the next day when the problem was fixed. They just used there old computer and everything was working properly when I picked up the bike the next day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.