BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

USB ports on 2016 RTW

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Why aint we riding 
#1 ·
I am an LT owner, but have an RT question as will be renting one in England shortly. Can anyone tell me how many USB and Powerlet ports are on a 2016 UK-spec RT? Does the RT have a compartment like the GTL in the right fairing for charging and storage of an iPod or iPhone?

#6 ·
What do you hope to run from those Powerlet sockets?
My wife and I were REALLY disappointed to find that the system will not consistently let you run 2 sets of heated jackets. The rider outlet seems fine, but when the current draw approached what the CanBus system deems 'enough', it shuts the other socket off!
So for light current loads, the 2 Powerlets work, as the load goes up, the sockets shut off.

#8 ·
Bandytales, What jackets are you using? I JUST ordered Gerbings (Jacket liner, pants liner, gloves and socks) for Tracy and myself to have for our trip to Canada this fall. The guy on the Gerbings Facebook page said everything would work well with me plugged into the front socket and Tracy plugged into the rear socket on the 2014 RT. I had read of others having the issue you describe with the Canbus system on older bikes but he said it wouldnt be an issue with the 14. I have time to make adjustments (add harnesses) if necessary but dont want to if I dont have to. Steve
Please forgive the off topic post.

#9 ·
If your rental has no radio you will not get a USB port. Best thing is to ask what your bike will have. You can also purchase a Powerlet brand BMW/USB plug that you can plug into the front power receptacle.

Your Gerbings will draw 7.5 amps on high. Both power receptacles can only handle 10 amps max when both are in use. So you are out of luck with two Gerbings.

Bring a Gerbing pigtail for the battery and have them attach it for you.

#10 ·
Your Gerbings will draw 7.5 amps on high. Both power receptacles can only handle 10 amps max when both are in use. So you are out of luck with two Gerbings..
+1

It is truly a crazy design shortfall from BMW.
They KNOW this is a touring bike.
They KNOW users will wear heated clothing.
They KNOW what that clothing draws.
The heated gear I have is sold from a BMW outlet.
Shame on you BMW!

#11 ·
Be warned though that even if the RT that you are renting has a radio, the USB connector in the right compartment will deliver only 800 mA Max! That might be the cause of a complaint in the other forum about somebody who was unable to charge an iPhone 6 when it's run down by more than 20%. The safest thing to do is take along a USB device that plugs into the front accessory socket. I did, but that was to power my helmetcam while riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.