BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Tires Your Next Choice ?

7K views 91 replies 39 participants last post by  dbaliko 
#1 ·
I am not having good mileage with PR4's and Bridgestone tires. @ 5000 miles the rear tire is at the wear bars.
I need to order a new set of tires ,What are you using and your mileage ?
I do not want a tire that does not have tread crossing the tire center. Those tires you can not predict life expectancy.
Thanks

#2 ·
I am suprised you arent getting good service from the PR4's. I have 11,000+ on mine and most would run them at least another 1-2000 before giving them up. They are still above the wear bars in the center. They have squared off a bit primarily due to a lot of interstate driving (5100 mile cross country and several 4-500 mile beach runs) but still have very good tread on the sides. I really think with more mountain riding they would have gone further. I have been truly impressed as this is by far the best mileage I have ever gotten from bike tires. I do plan to replace them before we leave for Canada so we wont have to deal with such things while on vacation. Steve

#4 ·
Murray, yah good luck,lol. So far my two best rear tires have been a pr3 B tire. Got 8500 before cord but I was towing a trailer up the alcan so keep that in mind. The BT023 was the best at around 10k. Might have gone a while more but I was placing the bike in winter storage and installed new for spring. That tire also saw 5k miles towing on the return trip from AK.
Everything else has been about what you are averaging.

#12 ·
Teach since you are in pa we should have similar tire wear.
I am amazed of the mileage others are obtaining. I'm in NE PA the back roads are tar and chipped, perhaps the abrasive nature of the road here is the issue. I will try the PR 3 had good results in the past with my FJR.
Thanks

#6 ·
You can try the Pirelli Angel GT "A spec"

My last 2 sets were good for 20,000 km

I was very happy with them, although they squared off at the end.

I replaced them with the T-30 Evo GT
(They were $150 cheaper for a pair than the Pirellis)

I have no idea how long they'll last but at that price it's almost 3 tires for the price of 2 Pirellis

Time will tell...

Reactions: Bob1200rtc1
#8 ·
I will be trying out Metzlers new Roadtec 01 HWM which are supposed to be a step up on the Z8. Supposed to have a wider contact area for increased grip and 2 ply on the rear for extended life once my current set of Z8's wear out.

#10 ·
Add me to the list that thinks the PR4 is a step back from the PR3!

I cannot tell that they hold any better in the wet than the Bridgestone T-30's. I can tell you the T-30 is a LOT more stable when riding leaves NO chicken strips and seems more responsive at all times.

The new T-30 EVO is available in the heavier rating for $225 per set. Why would I pay over $100 more for PR4's when they don't seem to get any more mileage or handle better? Just to say I run "Michelins"?

#14 ·
Murray, I have pr4gt's on mine right now. Not long enough to get an idea of longevity but they work OK.
The tar and chip along with the road chamber probably doesn't help.
PR4 "B" tire, BT023, or the T30gt rear. All gave me good wear and the tire maintained it's curve.

#17 ·
After about 5K miles, I need a new PR4 on the front of my 2005 RT. The center tread is perfect and the sides are all scalloped... the tire is worn kind of to a "point".

The rear tire looks almost new and my chicken strips are thin.

#19 ·
Things I hear:
The PR4 lasted me a long time, as much as 12k
The PR4 were toast after 4 or 5k
(These inconsistencies can only be the result of manufacturing anomalies from one plant to the other)

Thing I cannot understand:
How can that T-30 Evo work as well as a PR Michellin in the wet. That seems impossible to me

#20 ·
I will have a set of T-30 Evos here soon. Don't know how they are in the wet, but if as good as the regular T-30 they are as good as the PR3 and 4 Michelins I have run. Do I have a test facility to prove that? No. But I have worn out sets of both and pushed both in low speed corners, tried to break the rear loose by accelerating hard, and tried some hard braking in a straight line at lower speeds with both tires. I find an occasional test like these gives you a feel of the bike no matter what tire is on it. That said, I can say that the T-30 did not move around on wet pavement under these conditions. Neither did the Michelins. So my deduction is that each tire is as good as the other in real world use on wet roads. Since I seem to get nearly or equal mileage with the T 30 tires and a set is well over $100 less than the PR4 I simply cannot understand why I should run Michelin tires.

#28 ·
Replaced OEM Metzlers with 4200 miles due to upcoming trip.
I had no criticisms of the Metzlers other than known to wear fast at the end of their life. At 4200 they still had over 3mm of tread with both front and rear wearing evenly and true. Dealer was kind enough to hold them for me as I could reasonably expect to get another 2-3 thousand miles out of them this fall.

Put PR4GT's on...first impression was they feel very planted and stable but have a less "cushy" ride then the Metzlers. Should have more feedback after trip. Plan to run them at 39/43 cold in the summer heat, 1up with luggage.

#32 ·
I put Angel GT's on my 07 RT. I love the way the bike handles compared to the pr3 and 4's that I have had. As far as longevity, I can't say. Since I got my Multistrada the RT has been sitting a lot. I will not hesitate to put the Pirelli's on the Multi when the stock tires wear out .

#36 ·
so ill put on my flame hat on before i asked this lol

has anyone tried a slightly diff size tire to maybe get a better mileage tire? ie 888 or something along that line? id give up some traction for another 3-4k miles - especially for the cross country trips.

#38 ·
Slothy, I asked the same thing a while back. The replies were rather negative.
If I had to guess you could run a cruiser tire if you could find a tire in 17". You would likely have longer change intervals doing so. I might give it a go myself as I can't see where doing so would give up much in the way of traction. Particularly if most rides are more cruising and less sport riding

#39 ·
that's my thinking, i'll use my upcoming trip for example - 8k+ miles and i'm not a fan of possibly having to change the rear tire (fresh pr4gts) on my trip.

ill have to check into the rim width and see what cruiser tires could even work, assuming nothing hits swingarm being to wide

#42 ·
Bdf, can you tell us what tire pressure, esa settings, and type/speed of ride?
I'm trying to figure out how some are getting much better mileage than others with the same tire.
For example you said 6k worn out on a pr4 (assuming gt) and yet I am a little over 5k and my pr4gt's are barely wearing.
Thanks in advance

#48 ·
Just ordered a set of the new Metzeler Roadtec 01's from Revzilla. Best price I've seen plus Metzelers $50 gift card promotion make them a pretty good deal.

My PR4's were great tires, have about 6400 miles on them and still have some life left but the front has been feeling a little squirrelly to me lately. I'll put a few more miles on them before change out.

I thought I'd give the new 01's a try based on a few great reviews I've read. Don't think I can go too wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.