• 1 Post By LIRider
  • 1 Post By LIRider
  • 1 Post By PadG
  • 2 Post By LIRider
  • 1 Post By jeffdean
  • 1 Post By LIRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Mar 12th, 2016, 1:46 pm Thread Starter

Trouble After Adjusting Shifter on 2016 RT?

I installed a set of Suburban-Machinery lowering pegs earlier in the week and decided to see what sort of adjustments could be made on the controls. I understand that the brake lever isn't adjustable but actually found that you can get about a half inch of movement if you remove the brake lever, loosen the lock nut and turn the collar up a few turns (about as far as you can go). That got the brake down far enough as to feel comfortable for me.

So, now I go onto what's supposed to be the easy side to adjust the shifter and indeed it was easy to adjust. Loosen the two lock nuts on either side of the turnbuckle and spin the entire rod one way to raise and the other way to lower the shift peg. I drop the shifter about an inch, tighten everything up and then hop on to go for a spin but I can't get the bike to go into first gear. Okay, so back up on the center stand to fiddle some more with the adjustment ... raised the shifter a little and tried again ... better but still difficult to get into first (or downshift at all). Raise the shifter even further and things are once again back to normal. So my question is has anyone experienced anything similar when adjusting the shifter?

Current Rides:
2016 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
Keyless Ride - Alarm - Shift Assist - Central Locking

1996 VF750C Magna - Pearl Shinning Yellow
V&H Classic II Pipes - Factory Pro Jet Kit
Race Tech Cartridge Emulators & Fork Springs
Progressive 440 Rear Shocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Mar 12th, 2016, 2:56 pm

Re: Trouble After Adjusting Shifter on 2016 RT?

Sounds like the lever movement is restricted by the lever or linkage hitting something. Will the design allow you to change the position of the lever on the selector shaft where it exits the transmission? That is, disengage the clip holding the ball joint so you can disconnect the linkage, remove the screw clamping the lever to the gear selector shaft, pull the lever off and then reinstall it but rotated by a spline or two. The picture on the repair DVD is not clear, it might not be possible to fit the lever in more than one position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	100369  
Geoff c likes this.

Larry
2006 R1200RT
post #3 of 21 Old Mar 12th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRider View Post
I installed a set of Suburban-Machinery lowering pegs earlier in the week and decided to see what sort of adjustments could be made on the controls. I understand that the brake lever isn't adjustable but actually found that you can get about a half inch of movement if you remove the brake lever, loosen the lock nut and turn the collar up a few turns (about as far as you can go). That got the brake down far enough as to feel comfortable for me.

So, now I go onto what's supposed to be the easy side to adjust the shifter and indeed it was easy to adjust. Loosen the two lock nuts on either side of the turnbuckle and spin the entire rod one way to raise and the other way to lower the shift peg. I drop the shifter about an inch, tighten everything up and then hop on to go for a spin but I can't get the bike to go into first gear. Okay, so back up on the center stand to fiddle some more with the adjustment ... raised the shifter a little and tried again ... better but still difficult to get into first (or downshift at all). Raise the shifter even further and things are once again back to normal. So my question is has anyone experienced anything similar when adjusting the shifter?
I am looking for lowered pegs, raised handle bars and taller windscreens. Please keep us posted on this foot peg.

And wondering if $500+ is needed to lower brake and shift levers as well!
I see a $200 brake pedal at Ilium.

2016 R1200RTW & old British bikes

Last edited by tokig; Mar 12th, 2016 at 3:22 pm.

post #4 of 21 Old Mar 12th, 2016, 3:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
Sounds like the lever movement is restricted by the lever or linkage hitting something. Will the design allow you to change the position of the lever on the selector shaft where it exits the transmission? That is, disengage the clip holding the ball joint so you can disconnect the linkage, remove the screw clamping the lever to the gear selector shaft, pull the lever off and then reinstall it but rotated by a spline or two. The picture on the repair DVD is not clear, it might not be possible to fit the lever in more than one position.
I'll take a look at that for sure. The funny thing is that Suburban Machinery now sells a longer turnbuckle for the wethead RT so I'm not sure why that would work at all if I'm hitting some restriction with the stock turnbuckle in place.
Geoff c likes this.

Current Rides:

post #5 of 21 Old Mar 12th, 2016, 3:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokig View Post
I am looking for lowered pegs, raised handle bars and taller windscreens. Please keep us posted on this foot peg.

And wondering if $500+ is needed to lower brake and shift levers as well!
I'm pretty sure that many here have gone this route without issue ... which makes me wonder what it is I'm doing wrong

Current Rides:

post #6 of 21 Old Mar 12th, 2016, 3:30 pm

This maybe the shift linkage IPB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ShiftLinkage1.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	100377  

2016 R1200RTW & old British bikes
post #7 of 21 Old Mar 12th, 2016, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Maybe it's the shift assist system that's somehow involved ... I'll have to look more closely at that too.
Geoff c likes this.

Current Rides:

post #8 of 21 Old Mar 12th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Quote:
Maybe it's the shift assist system that's somehow involved ... I'll have to look more closely at that too.
I adjusted a friends '15 RT, I took the rod off & adjusted the 2 end joint out as far as i thought was safe with enough engagement into the joints the tightened the nuts & all went good.

But I can't remember if he had shift assist.

Either way i don't see shift assist being an issue as you are moving the gear shift lever (#1 in a post up further) up or down not the gear lever into the gearbox.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 21 Old Mar 13th, 2016, 7:00 am Thread Starter

Okay, think I might know what the problem may be ... woke up last night to use the facilities and on the way back to bed, remembered that I never checked for clearance with the side stand up (old habit of leaving the side stand down when using the aftermarket center stand on my Magna). I've got an Altrider side stand foot enlarger on my RT and I think it may be interfering the shift mechanism when it's extended further back as it would be when you lower the shift peg. I'll check it out after breakfast but this at least makes sense.

Edit: Confirmed! A case of farkle interference ... AltRider foot interferes with shift mechanism when the shift peg is lowered. Note that this is the same foot enlarger that BMW now sells. My options are to loose this foot, replace with another that doesn't interfere or mod this foot by relocating the one screw and grinding/cutting the foot base.

Guess I do my best thinking at night (when I should be sleeping) or perhaps the rest just cleared my mind enough to realize I should have checked for clearance issues in the linkage. In any event, I'm glad that's all there was to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4723.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	100410   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4724.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	100418  
Geoff c likes this.

Current Rides:

Last edited by LIRider; Mar 13th, 2016 at 9:13 am. Reason: Follow-up
post #10 of 21 Old Mar 13th, 2016, 9:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Okay, think I might know what the problem may be ... woke up last night to use the facilities and on the way back to bed, remembered that I never checked for clearance with the side stand up (old habit of leaving the side stand down when using the aftermarket center stand on my Magna). I've got an Altrider side stand foot enlarger on my RT and I think it may be interfering the shift mechanism when it's extended further back as it would be when you lower the shift peg. I'll check it out after breakfast but this at least makes sense.
I think that you have got it! Illium foot-enlarger had to be modified from their original release because it will interfere with the shift mechanism, and so I suspect that it is the same with yours!
Geoff c likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #11 of 21 Old Mar 13th, 2016, 9:16 am Thread Starter

You must have posted as I was updating my last post. That was exactly the problem and I believe it was your original post about the issue you had with the first iteration of the Ilium foot enlarger that I remembered last night and got me to thinking it might be my issue. Thanks Pad!
PadG and Geoff c like this.

Current Rides:

post #12 of 21 Old Mar 13th, 2016, 10:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I have the Ilium foot peg lowering kit on my 15RT and have had no trouble with lowering and using the shift lever. I use the Wunderlich sidestand foot enlarger.
Geoff c likes this.

Jeff Dean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tucson, AZ -- formerly Madison, WI
BMW MOA #115; VBMWMO #2
'15 R1200RT, '15 R1200R, '67 R60/2 (x3),
'69 R60US, '55 R67/3, '49 R24

post #13 of 21 Old Mar 13th, 2016, 11:44 am

I guess the first question from now on for the newer RT's is 'What Farkels Did You Install'

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #14 of 21 Old Mar 13th, 2016, 4:07 pm

I put Wunderlich vario peg lowering on my 2014 and changed the shifter, it did take a while to get the adjustment right, and if I recall the downshift into first was a problem until I fiddled with the linkage.

I have shift assist as well.
post #15 of 21 Old Mar 11th, 2017, 4:09 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old post but I was looking at the suburban machinery STL1-lower shifter rod. The tech at BMW suggested to be careful as the extra throw might impact (force) the gear shift pro mechanism..so I assume folks have had some success "walking" their shooter rod out a little.. has anyone ordered the stl1 and have had no issues so far? Or is it not needed as the shift lever is adjustable enough to support the new foot peg position..
post #16 of 21 Old Mar 13th, 2017, 6:24 am Thread Starter

I found I could adjust mine to a comfortable position without the need of any sort of extension. Try it and see what you find. I've had no issue with shift assist pro after lowering the shifter. My only issue was with the foot stand enlarger, which interfered with the shift mechanism. I ground down the foot and relocated one of the securing screws. No problems ever since.
Geoff c likes this.

Current Rides:

Last edited by LIRider; Mar 13th, 2017 at 10:57 am.
post #17 of 21 Old Mar 13th, 2017, 9:59 am

LIRder: Will do!....
I like taking the cheap route first if that is an option, so i was plan on adjusting the shifter as you mentioned above....
HOwever it struck me odd about the suburban machinery rod extender and what the tech said..and before I went don't that route, i thought i would try to solicit some feed back likes yours and others as well...
Thanks
post #18 of 21 Old Mar 15th, 2017, 5:06 am

Quote:

Edit: Confirmed! A case of farkle interference ... AltRider foot interferes with shift mechanism when the shift peg is lowered. Note that this is the same foot enlarger that BMW now sells. My options are to loose this foot, replace with another that doesn't interfere or mod this foot by relocating the one screw and grinding/cutting the foot base.

Guess I do my best thinking at night (when I should be sleeping) or perhaps the rest just cleared my mind enough to realize I should have checked for clearance issues in the linkage. In any event, I'm glad that's all there was to it.
When you see the photo and compare them I am sure your correct , funny how your mind must check thing while your sleeping . I know when i have done something and it did not go as planed a rest and come back a few mins or the next day and you seem to think more clearly. I am happy you have that sorted.
post #19 of 21 Old Mar 19th, 2017, 12:00 am

What's interesting is the repair manual say distance between ball ends should be 123.5 mm +/- .5 mm...I'm about 130mm..they must have put these tolerances for some reason?
post #20 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 8:00 am

I had the same issue. Embarrassingly, I realized that the rear portion of the shift arm was hitting the kickstand foot pad I had added. A couple of twists on the assembly and it returned to original functionality.
post #21 of 21 Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 10:08 pm

Garage

Quote:

Grinding my foot farkel down and removing a screw worked for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.