• 1 Post By mfreeland
  • 1 Post By 92merc
  • 1 Post By bandytales
  • 1 Post By LAF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 6:17 pm Thread Starter

Garage
BMW RT TopCase

I am in the process of finalizing my 2016 RT purchase and am considering adding the BMW topcase with the tail light. I have browsed this thread ( BMW Deluxe Top Case ) and see some possible issues adding one to a bike that doesn't have the central locking system, which mine doesn't. First off the case is 1600+ and the light is 250+ and to color match, another 300, that's a lot for a top case that may or may not plug right into the system. Are there other non-BMW case options that others here have used ? Besides the extra storage, I really want to have the extra tail light. Pictures or links to pictures are good as I don't want to spoil the looks of the bike. Thanks !

Last edited by HyAck; Feb 20th, 2016 at 6:24 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 6:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: BMW RT TopCase

The 2013 and earlier top case fits just fine on a 2016 RT. Its MSRP is $832.

tvguy and Geoff c like this.

Jeff Dean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tucson, AZ -- formerly Madison, WI
'15 R1200RT, '15 R1200R, '07 R1200RT, '67 R60/2,
'55 R67/3, '54 R51/3, '54 R68, '49 R24

post #3 of 34 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 8:22 pm

Agree with Jeff and add some hyperlites if you want extra rear lighting

post #4 of 34 Old Feb 20th, 2016, 9:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyAck View Post
I am in the process of finalizing my 2016 RT purchase and am considering adding the BMW topcase with the tail light. I have browsed this thread ( BMW Deluxe Top Case ) and see some possible issues adding one to a bike that doesn't have the central locking system, which mine doesn't. First off the case is 1600+ and the light is 250+ and to color match, another 300, that's a lot for a top case that may or may not plug right into the system. Are there other non-BMW case options that others here have used ? Besides the extra storage, I really want to have the extra tail light. Pictures or links to pictures are good as I don't want to spoil the looks of the bike. Thanks !
I found a rare used GTL case which has the higher and more wrap-around back pad as compared to the RT cases. Had to create my own wiring harness as my RT didn't have the central locking system either. My harness ended up being quite complicated because I went with a Radiantz LED center red running/modulated brake strip with amber turn signals on either end plus added Hyperlite LED red running/modulated brake lights and Hyperlite LED amber turns to a license plate mount. Anything is do-able depending upon your knowledge/skill and/or comfort level. All that said, if I hadn't run across the used GTL case, I would probably have gone with the Givi V47 case which now has available an Admore LED light kit. I think the lines of the V47 go well with the 2014+ RT. You can also have it painted to match your RT (not by Givi mind you - you'll need to get the paint formula or have someone use a "color eye" to match your bike color). One downside to the Givi V47 model that I was looking at was that it had a 2-tone back pad that I didn't care for and a plain solid black pad is not available. I would suspect that someone has put a Givi V47 on a 2014+ RT and, hopefully, can provide you pictures.

Mike
post #5 of 34 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 6:57 am Thread Starter

Garage

Those are both good suggestions, thank you. Because I don't have the bike yet, I'm not familiar with rear rack details. Can I assume that the older BMW top case attaches in the same fashion as the new ? Can I also assume that the Givi would require an adaptor plate ?
post #6 of 34 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 9:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Those are both good suggestions, thank you. Because I don't have the bike yet, I'm not familiar with rear rack details. Can I assume that the older BMW top case attaches in the same fashion as the new ? Can I also assume that the Givi would require an adaptor plate ?
The older BMW top case fits right on the newer bikes without difficulty. Snaps right on. And, unlike Givi, it looks like it belongs on a BMW.
hopz and biker01red like this.

Jeff Dean

Tucson, AZ -- formerly Madison, WI
'15 R1200RT, '15 R1200R, '07 R1200RT, '67 R60/2,
'55 R67/3, '54 R51/3, '54 R68, '49 R24

post #7 of 34 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 9:18 am

Another option to consider is to order from BMW Europe. When I found out that the earlier model cases fit the new RTs, I decided to look for a good price on the older cases. With the euro/dollar exchange rate, looking at stores in Europe became an option. The BMW site listed a top case for 510 euro (that included 19% VAT).

To make a long story short, VAT is removed when shipping outside of Europe and since there is no added import tax on motorcycle parts, I got a brand new BMW top case delivered to my door within 2 weeks of ordering it for around $490.
post #8 of 34 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 9:23 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Correct on both counts, and the advantage of the Givi is that you can have your rear LED as well! There have been some recent discussions where you will see pictures. Quite frankly, I like the look of the Givi top-box that they were talking about. Another good 3rd party option is Shad. There was also a thread where somebody had posted pictures of their Shad box. Quite frankly, if I was going to buy a 3rd part box for myself, I think that I would go for the Givi. IMHO, that box looks like it belongs on the bike. The negative is thatt you do have to mount their mounting plate on the RT's rear rack.
Bighopper likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #9 of 34 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRTrider View Post
Another option to consider is to order from BMW Europe. When I found out that the earlier model cases fit the new RTs, I decided to look for a good price on the older cases. With the euro/dollar exchange rate, looking at stores in Europe became an option. The BMW site listed a top case for 510 euro (that included 19% VAT).

To make a long story short, VAT is removed when shipping outside of Europe and since there is no added import tax on motorcycle parts, I got a brand new BMW top case delivered to my door within 2 weeks of ordering it for around $490.
This is a good option, thanks Seattle. I am reluctant to add a non BMW case as I don't really want to look at the adapter plate when the case isn't there. Does anyone know, off the top of their heads, what the part number is for the older top case ?
post #10 of 34 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 10:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
This is a good option, thanks Seattle. I am reluctant to add a non BMW case as I don't really want to look at the adapter plate when the case isn't there. Does anyone know, off the top of their heads, what the part number is for the older top case ?
Yeah, I am of the same opinion! The old top-box part number is: 71607720456, and specifically, it is this one - Luggage - Topcase - Silver 49 Liter - BMW R1200RT K1200GT - by BMW - - A&S BMW Motorcycle Parts and Accessories.

You can also spend a little more money and buy the new style without power, and the part number would be: 77438544630, as shown - Topcase - Basic 49 Liter - 2014-later BMW R1200RT - by BMW - - A&S BMW Motorcycle Parts and Accessories.

The difference between the old style and the new (both large, 49 liter top-box) is that the new style is more streamline, with more angular edges in appearance. The new one is actually about 2" lower in height, but is wider. I can see fitting a pair of Shoei Neotec helmets (with SENA SMH-10 attached), side-by-side, in the new case, but I am not sure that they will fit in the old style. I had the old style on my '07 RT, and the new (powered version) on my '15 RT, but I ride solo, and so have never tried to actually put two helmets in either one.

AttackPug likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #11 of 34 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdean View Post
The older BMW top case fits right on the newer bikes without difficulty. Snaps right on. And, unlike Givi, it looks like it belongs on a BMW.
Do any of the older BMW top cases come with a spot for a brake light? If not, I think adding lights would make it look less "like it belongs." I was never a fan of the older "orb"-appearing Givi cases but believe the more "angular" lines of the V47 go well with the more angular lines of the 2014+ RT. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

Mike
post #12 of 34 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Yeah, I am of the same opinion! The old top-box part number is: 71607720456, and specifically, it is this one - Luggage - Topcase - Silver 49 Liter - BMW R1200RT K1200GT - by BMW - - A&S BMW Motorcycle Parts and Accessories.

You can also spend a little more money and buy the new style without power, and the part number would be: 77438544630, as shown - Topcase - Basic 49 Liter - 2014-later BMW R1200RT - by BMW - - A&S BMW Motorcycle Parts and Accessories.

The difference between the old style and the new (both large, 49 liter top-box) is that the new style is more streamline, with more angular edges in appearance. The new one is actually about 2" lower in height, but is wider. I can see fitting a pair of Shoei Neotec helmets (with SENA SMH-10 attached), side-by-side, in the new case, but I am not sure that they will fit in the old style. I had the old style on my '07 RT, and the new (powered version) on my '15 RT, but I ride solo, and so have never tried to actually put two helmets in either one.

Since the OP doesn't have central locking, I would agree with the suggestion to consider the unpowered 2014+ case if he decides to suck it up and pay the high cost. I would also skip the BMW top case brake light and go with a Radiantz LED strip (the Amped version is their brightest and, as I indicated I did myself, would recommend considering getting a strip that has a center red running/modulated brake with amber turn signals on the ends - need to add a resistor to get the running light feature and a modulator for the brake light if you want modulation + 1or 3 relays depending upon whether one goes with running/brake light alone or add the turn signals). The brake light surround for the unpowered 49L BMW case is black as opposed to chrome which might look better with some colors but worse with others. My GTL case had a chrome brake light surround which I thought about replacing with a black one as my '14 RT is the Ebony color but after I put it on the bike I didn't think it looked bad and stayed with the chrome and have been thinking about adding the chrome trim to my side bags to tie things together as the front fairing side panels have the chrome trim.

Mike
Geoff c likes this.
post #13 of 34 Old Feb 21st, 2016, 1:34 pm

Quote:
Here is a link to some pics of my GTL case (similar to the newer RT cases except for the more robust back rest pads), painted to match my '14 Ebony RT, with the Radiantz LED center red running/brake light with amber turn signals on the end and my Hyperlite LED red running/brake and amber turn signals on a license plate mount.

https://goo.gl/photos/JhAPeDD5wCQ2fi9u5

Mike
post #14 of 34 Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 8:58 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreeland View Post
Here is a link to some pics of my GTL case (similar to the newer RT cases except for the more robust back rest pads), painted to match my '14 Ebony RT, with the Radiantz LED center red running/brake light with amber turn signals on the end and my Hyperlite LED red running/brake and amber turn signals on a license plate mount.

https://goo.gl/photos/JhAPeDD5wCQ2fi9u5

Mike
Thanks for the link Mike, looks good. I like the idea of wider and lower. I'm not a huge top case fan, so whatever I do put on there will have to look "like the bike" style wise. A lot of bikes look fine with the utilitarian/bubble cases, but I think the RT should have something designed for it, and I need to research the aftermkt lighting more.
post #15 of 34 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleRTrider View Post

Do you have a link for BMW Europe?
post #16 of 34 Old Feb 12th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Maybe you can pm him ... your question went on a year old thread, so may not be seen by the person you posed it to.

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
2007 KTM 300XC-w
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90
& 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

post #17 of 34 Old Feb 13th, 2017, 9:46 pm

Last week, I ordered a new style BMW top case from BMW Motorrad UK for £506.47 without the electronic connection plus £53 DHL shipping to Canada. Adding central locking would have been about £150 plus.

I can't post link as I haven't had enough posts but you can find but you can find the link by searching "BMW Motorrad Store UK".

http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk
post #18 of 34 Old Feb 14th, 2017, 9:58 pm

Arrow Re: BMW RT TopCase

Quote:
I have the large top case for my 2016 RTW, but even so, my Schuberth C3--I swear, if it had one more coat of paint on it, it wouldn't fit.

To me, a top case isn't of much use if you can't park your helmet in it. BMW doesn't seem to believe in helmet locks--at least not the kind that are readily accessible. In any event. a helmet on a helmet lock is only a good deal if it isn't raining or snowing, in which case it makes a great reservoir.

I'd say spend the $$ and go for the larger case.

BTW, your mileage may vary re: helmet fit. Whatever the make of your helmet, take it in to the dealer and make him show you it fits inside and locks up without issue.

Regards,

--Radix

1966 HONDA 50 (sold)
1967 HONDA 90 STEP THROUGH (sold)
1970 HARLEY-DAVIDSON SPORTSTER (sold)
1971 BMW R60/5 (sold)
199? Honda CB750 Nighthawk (sold)
2012 BMW R1200 GS ADV (sold)
2016 BMW R1200RT (current bike)
post #19 of 34 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 7:34 am

Garage

My XL Shoei won't fit inside the top case (large case) It fits in the side cases.

With my R1200C I bought a helmet lock setup that installed near the license plate. It worked great.
post #20 of 34 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 9:16 am

Full face helmets often are narrower than they are high...which is to say, try putting them inside the top case on their sides instead of upright.
post #21 of 34 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 9:25 am

You can easily fit 2 helmets in the GIVI top box.
post #22 of 34 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 9:46 am

Location: Bismarck, North Dakota USA_________________2015 R1200RT
Garage

I have the GTL case, which is the same as the RT large case, but with a different backrest. I can fit my large Icon helmet in sideways without issue. I've put the wife's in there as well. So 2 will fit as advertised. Just laying on their sides.
Geoff c likes this.
post #23 of 34 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 11:01 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBones View Post
Full face helmets often are narrower than they are high...which is to say, try putting them inside the top case on their sides instead of upright.
Tried that - still won't fit. I guess I've got a big head ;-)
post #24 of 34 Old Feb 15th, 2017, 12:28 pm

Shad SH50, silver Schuberth C3 (XXL- their largest shell), yellow Kabuto Ibuki (M), one of the SMH10 units has to unclip:

If that's not enough space, Shad is bringing out an expandable 46-58 liter top case this month.

I think Shad makes the BMW Vario cases as used on the GS and F models.

Hopefully, HyAck has found a case sometime since he started this thread last February.

Larry
2006 R1200RT

Last edited by lkraus; Feb 15th, 2017 at 12:35 pm.
post #25 of 34 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 8:29 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhhandyman View Post
My XL Shoei won't fit inside the top case (large case) It fits in the side cases.

With my R1200C I bought a helmet lock setup that installed near the license plate. It worked great.
Found the unit I used:

Helmet Guardian, Black | TwistedThrottle.com

It may be available from other vendors.
post #26 of 34 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 10:10 am

I received a PM from hemlockdj on my post. I can't reply to PMs as I haven't posted 15 times on BMWLT which is a prerequisite for sending PMS. I do have some information and can respond if you send directly my e-mail (mkg1025@gmail.com). Regards.
post #27 of 34 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
Shad SH50, silver Schuberth C3 (XXL- their largest shell), yellow Kabuto Ibuki (M), one of the SMH10 units has to unclip:

If that's not enough space, Shad is bringing out an expandable 46-58 liter top case this month.

That looks clever and fairly handsome also.
post #28 of 34 Old Feb 16th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92merc View Post
I have the GTL case, which is the same as the RT large case, but with a different backrest. I can fit my large Icon helmet in sideways without issue. I've put the wife's in there as well. So 2 will fit as advertised. Just laying on their sides.
Wow too be able to fit your wife`s in there !!!! I have enough trouble with one and she refuses to get in any case lol.

Cheers and no offence just my weird sense of humour .
post #29 of 34 Old Feb 17th, 2017, 4:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff c View Post
Wow too be able to fit your wife`s in there !!!! I have enough trouble with one and she refuses to get in any case lol.
Seriously LOL
:g rin:
Geoff c likes this.
post #30 of 34 Old Feb 18th, 2017, 2:03 pm

I like the idea of a BMW top box, but do any of them come without the passenger backrest? I always ride solo and don't like the look with the backrest, reminds me of a Goldwing or La-Z-Boy recliner. The Givi/Shad is an option, but won't work with my central locking system and like others I prefer not to have to mount the additional locking plate. Thanks!

C.
post #31 of 34 Old Feb 18th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigST View Post
I like the idea of a BMW top box, but do any of them come without the passenger backrest? I always ride solo and don't like the look with the backrest, reminds me of a Goldwing or La-Z-Boy recliner. The Givi/Shad is an option, but won't work with my central locking system and like others I prefer not to have to mount the additional locking plate. Thanks!

C.
I'm also solo riding always and leave side cases off unless traveling, and I find the large cases just look way too big for my tastes especially when the side cases are off, so I have the streamlined 28L which was ample for my 9K mile trip last summer. A few tools and other things live in it for typical local riding and it's enough to pickup a few groceries or other as needed.

2016 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze
2013 F800GT - Sold
1986 Identical Twin Daughters -

1985 Kawasaki 1000 LTD - Sold
1964 Harley Davidson Sprint 250 - Sold
1968 Honda 350 - Sold

Last edited by NoelCP; Feb 18th, 2017 at 4:43 pm.
post #32 of 34 Old Today, 2:39 pm

Garage

I did mange to get the large BMW case closed with my SHOEI in it. It had to be on its side and turned but it closed. No room for a second!
post #33 of 34 Old Today, 7:38 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I guess I am partial to my SHAD.

Even with the mounting plate it was still a good price and then add AddMore run/turn/brake lights and it is just a very nicely priced set up.

Easy open and close and holds my girls helmet and mine without the Senas on them.

Color match was pretty darn good also.

AttackPug likes this.

Lee
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 Sold
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT Totaled 7/17/2010
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #34 of 34 Old Today, 8:03 pm

I have the classic large top case on my 2011 RT and I can fit both my C3 and my wife's Nolan, both equipped with a Sena SMH10 without any problem.
I just put them in a slight diagonal and facing opposite directions.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
03 Saab Convertible (other spare bike
)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.