2015 BMW R1200RT - my two cents review - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 Old Jun 11th, 2015, 7:16 pm Thread Starter

Garage
2015 BMW R1200RT - my two cents review

For years now I have been riding BMW. Also had many other bikes. Glowing, CB1000, GSXR, Guzzi and so on. Last bikes before the RT were GSA's.
1600 Miles into the RT here are my ground up impressions:
1. Tires - Michelin PR4 GT - great wheels, quiet, sticky and safe on the wet roads of BRP.
2. Rims - like that they finally put the air valve into the spokes - easy to fill front and back at 90 degree angle
3. Tupperware - lots of it. The bottom cover next to the cylinder head right side is "held" on by a grommet - a 1/4 inch grommet! a little know supposed to into the grommet and two screws. The grommet falls out and holds nothing - on a 20K bike they can't find a better way then a grommet? Really?
4. Luggage - spoiled by GSA aluminum side cases and top case. Capacity no comparison GSA beats RT hands down. Better way to pack, more room even with GTL top case on the RT. Better to pack and GSA can be loaded like a Mule and ridden all day long. Plastic hinges? Top loading is way better in my opinion. Nothing to hold stuff together and in beside a couple rubber bands.
5. OEM Seat - had worse but after a couple hours rear end will hurt - expected that based on past experience I added upgraded seat to almost any bike - except GW.
6. Mirrors - more form then function. They are fitted nicely into the bike but I can see my levers and handlebar in them. After Honda St owners complained about this same issue for years, BMW goes and does the same thing? Duh! They are steady and show actually a good part of the road, but moved out a little more and little larger would be better.
7. Instruments - was not a friend of "the wheel". In one month I am wondering why we did not have that before! Great way to deal with all sorts of adjustments - has become second nature. Adjust anything without having to fumble or look at it. All for it. Dashboard - nice. Easily readable unless you wear bright neon green - reflects of the surface and makes it very hard to read and see. Maybe different color then black as background might be good?
8. Windshield - works well. As you raise it you can feel when the pressure switches from top to side - pushes you forward as you raise the shield, other then get alright but will probably get wider taller.
9. Handlebar - slight lean forward for 5"10" - not uncomfortable but will get riser
10. Passenger comfort with GTL setup and case - she is comfortable even on long rides - besides OEM seat of course but we can go a couple hours without complaint.
11. Suspension - interesting. ESA II was cushy comfy in soft, swallowed every bump. RTW ESA - reminds me of Sport Bike - much tighter even in soft and road mode. Change it to Normal and bike becomes very precise - feels good but after a while over bumpy roads and stock seat... Hard is exactly that - hard but fun in the twists for sure - you feel every pebble it seems and get vey good feedback.
Overall still trying to figure out what I like better the GSA suspension or the RT both have their good parts. ESA has made me lazy - spin the wheel as you ride and adjust to whatever you want...
12. Frame - much stiffer, much less flex. Great handing in twists and even with two up - can't feel the extra load back there and that is nice going through all the twisty roads we can find. Like the new frame. Like the lower ride height, more foot on the ground for me, definitely better for two up then tippy toe.
14. Engine (won't jinks that one ) - Awesome. Great response, breathing much better from low up, go to Dynamic and puppy moves. Road is daily commute setup. Nice speed of response, good for everyday use or two up. Rain - nice when your riding through a waterfall of a rainstorm. Go past 3,500 RPM and she packs a punch. 75 at 4K not bad, open the throttle in 6th gear and you exceed any legal limit in a few seconds by far - I think . I really like the exhaust note too - nice deep rummble, quiet but aggressive, not loud like some bikes we all know
15. Two up riding - compared to GW - not as luxurious but a lot lot lighter weight in parking lots and through the corners other then that very good ride and very much fun for both of us. Very enjoyable, very quick.
16. Overall - still weaning myself of the GSA (sigh) which was the ultimate milage eater for me. Going coast to coast no problem, any day and reliably. Two up this new RT will be hard to beat - if she holds up. Oh yeah - Radio - did I mention Radio? with XM is pretty cool and I like it, many may not for me it is a very nice to have. Would I buy it again with all the little annoyances I found so far - for two up yes. By myself - GSA any day if I can lower it a little. My two cents.
Farkles so far: Blind Spot Mirrors (Saeng), installed Zumo but will eventually buy BMW GPS. LED Top lights and LED Flashers rear - nicely visible from back now.
Farkles next: Crash Bars - protect that Tupperware and heads. Risers, Side stand enlarger, passenger platforms, arm rests for passenger - see if GTL's will fit. Led lights front.
Ejetflyer, litespeed and Gitarist like this.

Last edited by Petrus; Jun 11th, 2015 at 7:33 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old Jun 12th, 2015, 9:29 am

Re: 2015 BMW R1200RT - my two cents review

I'll bet the RT gets the nod on wind/weather protection vs GSA. Agree with suspension comments. RT settings are stiffer than corresponding settings on GTL but Comfort/soft on GTL is too soft IMO.

Chris

2014 GTL
2015 RT

Last edited by Charlie Fogg; Jun 12th, 2015 at 10:05 am.
post #3 of 60 Old Jun 12th, 2015, 3:52 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Agreed on the Weather Protection . By the way - does not mean I don't like the RT - great Bike no doubt.

post #4 of 60 Old Jun 13th, 2015, 5:59 am

Petrus can you tell me how your wife feels about the RT? I'm deciding between a GSA or an RT. Rented an RT with the wife and she loved it but I'm being pulled to the GSA
post #5 of 60 Old Jun 13th, 2015, 6:28 am

The RT is tough to beat as a complete package. For 2-up my wife much prefers it to either the GTL or the GSA. Her complaints: GTL puts her a good bit above me and the wind blast is unacceptable to her. Might be corrected by a larger windscreen. The GSA she simply finds too tall, and the top case is uncomfortable as a back rest for any length of time.

Of great importance, Judy (SWMBO) finds the RT to be "Cute". Guys, for whatever reason, when the ladies decree something "cute" it results two things: 1. It is expensive, and 2. You have permission to purchase it. This is an immutable law of the universe.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #6 of 60 Old Jun 13th, 2015, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

Garage

We bought the RT because of her. We test drove the RT as well as the GTL and while the GTL had a little better seat, she was happier on the RT for some reason. This past weekend we did 600 Miles of the BRP and she was actually falling asleep in the back. Here is her actual rating:
1. She would like a better seat
2. little bit larger foot pegs
3. She likes the comfort, does not feel wind
4. rest she says is great - that is her feedback.

For me the cool part is that the Bikes behavior does not change with her on the back, suspension adjusts and off we go. I did put the GTL Top case on it with the larger Backrest and "Head" support in order for her to be more secure and comfortable. She also likes that better then the original back pad of the Top Case.
post #7 of 60 Old Jun 14th, 2015, 6:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
I did put the GTL Top case on it with the larger Backrest and "Head" support in order for her to be more secure and comfortable.
I and I am sure others would like to see a picture of your setup.
CaptJDavis and reg26 like this.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 60 Old Jun 14th, 2015, 2:02 pm

I love My 2012 RT. Weather protection is great. Going distance does require more luggage for me. The GSA does lend itself well to loading it up without any concern of marking anything. If I changed the bike, I'd seriously consider the GSA.
post #9 of 60 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 4:11 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Here is a picture - added Illium Crash bars and Rigid Lights. Now at 2200 miles. Looking to find Arm Rests - trying to see if the GTL version will fit or can be made to fit. On the Windshield you can see the Saeng Mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-06-20 at 5.08.29 PM.png
Views:	6769
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	82738  

Last edited by Petrus; Jun 20th, 2015 at 4:17 pm.
post #10 of 60 Old Jun 25th, 2015, 9:28 pm

Quote:
This past weekend we did 600 Miles of the BRP .
BRP? Blue Ridge Parkway? It's only 469 total??
post #11 of 60 Old Jun 27th, 2015, 10:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTOUR View Post
Most people combine the Skyline Drive and count it as part of the BRP; with exits and entrances it's much closer to 600......

Tom
Gainesville, Mo.
Weeki Wachee, Fl.
post #12 of 60 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 8:22 am

Quote:
We bought the RT because of her. We test drove the RT as well as the GTL and while the GTL had a little better seat, she was happier on the RT for some reason. This past weekend we did 600 Miles of the BRP and she was actually falling asleep in the back. Here is her actual rating:
1. She would like a better seat
2. little bit larger foot pegs
3. She likes the comfort, does not feel wind
4. rest she says is great - that is her feedback.

For me the cool part is that the Bikes behavior does not change with her on the back, suspension adjusts and off we go. I did put the GTL Top case on it with the larger Backrest and "Head" support in order for her to be more secure and comfortable. She also likes that better then the original back pad of the Top Case.
Petrus for the topcase does it mount the same as the one for the RT or is it the same one that is used for the RT with just a different pad attached. I think my wife would like that setup
post #13 of 60 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 7:25 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg26 View Post
Petrus for the topcase does it mount the same as the one for the RT or is it the same one that is used for the RT with just a different pad attached. I think my wife would like that setup
We ordered the case for the RT plus the pads from the GTL - case is the same as GTL - supposedly. But when you change the Pads you need to change the hinges on it, s you need that. We also added the LED light on the case, then wired that in with the Skeene Design lights and now I have flashing Led lights on the Top Case and next to the Plate. Just one thing - I wish they would make cases that are not all black on the inside - can't find a darn thing in it.
post #14 of 60 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 7:30 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTOUR View Post

Yes one way, but we went up some then back. Did not ride the whole length just part but back and forth ads up
post #15 of 60 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 8:05 pm

Quote:
We ordered the case for the RT plus the pads from the GTL - case is the same as GTL - supposedly. But when you change the Pads you need to change the hinges on it, s you need that.
Not too sure by what you mean by needing to change the hinges. Also is the case for the 15' RT similar to the cases that fit the 05-09' where you mount the pads.
I really like what you did and my wife would love it.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #16 of 60 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 8:51 pm

I noticed someone posted a note about looking for arm rests for the RT. I had a 2012 RT, and sold it because my wife did not like it. I replaced it with a 2012 GTL, and she likes it much more. That is really besides the point of this reply. I was looking for arm rests for her for the GTL, and really didn't like the fact that the factory arm rests are extremely expensive, and once installed they are not easily removable. I was reading some different posts on the K1600 forum, and someone posted a company in Ohio and was making aftermarket arm rests for the GTL. Here is a link to his web site:

Photo Gallery/Price - BMW passenger armrests

Notice that these arm rests will also fit on several different years RT's, including 2012. I ended up purchasing a set, and overall they are very nice. Easy to install and uninstall. Took me longer to find the right sized allen wrench than it did to do the install. It is worth looking at.
post #17 of 60 Old Jun 29th, 2015, 9:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin View Post

Notice that these arm rests will also fit on several different years RT's, including 2012. I ended up purchasing a set, and overall they are very nice. Easy to install and uninstall. Took me longer to find the right sized allen wrench than it did to do the install. It is worth looking at.
It says the arms swing out for easy on off the bike. When the passenger swings them in to ride do they stay in place well? They look nice. A little pricey.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #18 of 60 Old Jun 29th, 2015, 1:30 pm

On the set I received, the right arm (as you are sitting on the bike) is fairly stationary. The left arm is much more loose, and swings out fairly easily. I was a bit concerned about this, but my wife doesn't seem to think it is an issue, and when riding without a passenger, it does not swing out. At least it has not yet. When I wrote to the guy who made it, he simply suggested tightening the set screw more, but I already have it as tight as I can get it. He did advise that you can make them totally stationary--but that really isn't a good option for me.

As far as price goes, they are fairly expensive. However the factory arm rests for the GTL is over $700, and I have read diy installation is anywhere from 1-3 hours. I also read someone on the K1600 forum said his dealer quoted him $300 to install. AND, as far as I know the factory arm rests won't fit on the RT--not to say you might not be able to make one fit--and the factory arm rests, once on stay on even when you take the top case off.

I did see on the K1600 forum where someone had taken a set of Gold Wing arm rests and mount them on the top case. It looked pretty nice. So who knows.

I just want to state I have no financial involvement with the person who makes these arm rests, and neither do I think they are perfect. I was simply answering an inquiry about arm rests for an RT. So far I am happy with the ones I have.
post #19 of 60 Old Jun 30th, 2015, 3:06 pm
jrh

2015 BMW R1200RT - my two cents review-004.jpg
2015 1200RT I love it. It does everything I want especially touring.
post #20 of 60 Old Jul 4th, 2015, 4:59 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Supplement after over now 3,300 Miles -things I don't like about this BMW:

1. Wife is asking to ride all the time
2. Shoulders hurt after Wife beats on them while "slightly" exceeding the speed limit which is really easy on this Motorcycle
3. Going places all the time now with the Wife, Girlfriend is feeling neglected Wife hates when I tell her that
4. Need to clean the Motorcycle has gone up significantly - to many rides in all weather conditions
5. Did I mention Wife wants to ride all the time - so where is my escape now BMW haa?

Picture is from trip we just took to Golf Coast from Atlanta for 4th of July. She looks so sad...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4034.JPG
Views:	5192
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	83882  
post #21 of 60 Old Jul 4th, 2015, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh View Post
Attachment 83633
2015 1200RT I love it. It does everything I want especially touring.
Like your setup. We will need to add the pedals for her
post #22 of 60 Old Jul 4th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Quote:
Petrus can you tell me how your wife feels about the RT? I'm deciding between a GSA or an RT. Rented an RT with the wife and she loved it but I'm being pulled to the GSA
The thing about the GSA is that it doesn't come with panniers. Add that and a topcase and it's nearly the cost of a GT/GTL and weighs more than a RT.

I have a 2009 RT. If I road two up more often (hardly ever now), I'd get something else. I am sure the new RT is better in this regard with more power and the seat looks and feels better, but the K bike might do better.

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #23 of 60 Old Jul 5th, 2015, 8:17 pm

Thanks Ponch. I've decided on the RT. The GTL is only 50lb less than my Harley. I know they are two different animals but I'm done with 800lb bikes for now. I loved the feeling of the RT when I rode it. there was more room on it than my Harley and it felt so dam light. Never really thought of the weight of the GSA with the panniers and top case attached. Great thought, thanks
post #24 of 60 Old Jul 5th, 2015, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Thanks Ponch. I've decided on the RT. The GTL is only 50lb less than my Harley. I know they are two different animals but I'm done with 800lb bikes for now. I loved the feeling of the RT when I rode it. there was more room on it than my Harley and it felt so dam light. Never really thought of the weight of the GSA with the panniers and top case attached. Great thought, thanks
I had a Nomad before the RT. I went from a 818LBS bike to a 570LBS bike. The difference was transformative. The only thing the Nomad was better at was a strong crosswind, otherwise it does everything else better. That said, the GTL weighs 767LBS and it wouldn't be prohibitive to me, but the price is.

Ponch

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

2009 RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #25 of 60 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 6:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin View Post
I noticed someone posted a note about looking for arm rests for the RT. I had a 2012 RT, and sold it because my wife did not like it. I replaced it with a 2012 GTL, and she likes it much more. That is really besides the point of this reply. I was looking for arm rests for her for the GTL, and really didn't like the fact that the factory arm rests are extremely expensive, and once installed they are not easily removable. I was reading some different posts on the K1600 forum, and someone posted a company in Ohio and was making aftermarket arm rests for the GTL. Here is a link to his web site:

Photo Gallery/Price - BMW passenger armrests

How are they mounted ? Can you post some photos please ?

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
post #26 of 60 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 6:44 am

Quote:
Supplement after over now 3,300 Miles -things I don't like about this BMW:

5. Did I mention Wife wants to ride all the time - so where is my escape now BMW haa?

Simple solution: purchase her a bike too. Problem solved !

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
post #27 of 60 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 8:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponch View Post
I had a Nomad before the RT. I went from a 818LBS bike to a 570LBS bike. The difference was transformative. The only thing the Nomad was better at was a strong crosswind, otherwise it does everything else better. That said, the GTL weighs 767LBS and it wouldn't be prohibitive to me, but the price is.
Quite frankly, I had no issues with the RT regarding to strong cross wind at all! Just a few weeks ago, on the end of my last day's ride in Scotland, and on my way back to Edinburgh on a '13 RT. The cross wind was so bad that the speed limit on the motorway was reduced from 70 mph to 40 mph, a few miles before the big suspension bridge, and across it. I had no problems at all, and could have kept the 70 mph quite easily all the way. I am very accustomed to disconnecting myself from the bike (hard to explain how I do this), but I was able to feel that the wind resistance on my body was very much more than on the bike itself.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #28 of 60 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 8:24 am Thread Starter

Garage

I switched from a GSA to the RT and riding two up one of the things I really miss are the Top Opening Side Cases from the GSA. They had a lot more room and were a lot easier to organize because of their even shape. RT cases look nice but are not nearly as roomy and having them side opening is a pain. No way to control whats in the outside half for example, nothing to tie things down. The only choice is to get inside cases that fit the cases exactly, then pack those out. BMW took he cases from the GTL which has two exhaust pipes and left the forms / shape the same. For a two up Touring Bike which the RT falls into, luggage accommodations should be better. As guys we can do with a razor, pair of undies and socks plus some jeans and a shirt, get that, but bring your wife and ....
post #29 of 60 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 8:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Quite frankly, I had no issues with the RT regarding to strong cross wind at all! Just a few weeks ago, on the end of my last day's ride in Scotland, and on my way back to Edinburgh on a '13 RT. The cross wind was so bad that the speed limit on the motorway was reduced from 70 mph to 40 mph, a few miles before the big suspension bridge, and across it. I had no problems at all, and could have kept the 70 mph quite easily all the way. I am very accustomed to disconnecting myself from the bike (hard to explain how I do this), but I was able to feel that the wind resistance on my body was very much more than on the bike itself.
Well, I ride with a topcase most of the time and I present a lot more wind resistance than you do. All I know is that I've had the bike pushed into the next lane over with a sudden wind blast a couple times. Never happened on the Nomad.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #30 of 60 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 8:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Well, I ride with a topcase most of the time and I present a lot more wind resistance than you do. All I know is that I've had the bike pushed into the next lane over with a sudden wind blast a couple times. Never happened on the Nomad.
That '13 RT had the large top-box and the RT tank bag on it as well, and so the bike did present the maximum possible side profile to the wind. The point that I was implying was that if you know how to disconnect yourself from the bike, you will be able to handle the side loads separately. There is a lot of flexing at the waist involved, and for me it's just a reflex reaction. I learned to ride, way back when, in Wellington (NZ), which is very well known to the kiwis as the "windy city", and riding in 60-70 mph or even more gusts were not uncommon.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #31 of 60 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 10:15 am

Quote:
That '13 RT had the large top-box and the RT tank bag on it as well, and so the bike did present the maximum possible side profile to the wind. The point that I was implying was that if you know how to disconnect yourself from the bike, you will be able to handle the side loads separately. There is a lot of flexing at the waist involved, and for me it's just a reflex reaction. I learned to ride, way back when, in Wellington (NZ), which is very well known to the kiwis as the "windy city", and riding in 60-70 mph or even more gusts were not uncommon.
This happened in Iowa where they get tornados and very bad storms. My point is that it didn't happen on the nomad, so it's not like I was doing anything differently. It hasn't happened in AZ, but it's not nearly as windy here. The only other time I rode through severe wind on the RT was in Utah on 80 east of the salt flats. I swear the bike was tilted over 45 degrees to go straight, but that was a steady wind. In the case of getting blown sideways, it was a gust on a windy day.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #32 of 60 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 10:32 am

In response to the question from Ka5ysy above, the Arm rests mount to the luggage rack immediately in front of the top case with a "clasp" ( for lack of better term) that is tightened down with a bolt. I will try to take a picture of it and send it to you. Very simple installation and removal, and no holes to drill or modifications to make. They won't work on all RT years I am told.
post #33 of 60 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 10:50 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
This happened in Iowa where they get tornados and very bad storms. My point is that it didn't happen on the nomad, so it's not like I was doing anything differently. It hasn't happened in AZ, but it's not nearly as windy here. The only other time I rode through severe wind on the RT was in Utah on 80 east of the salt flats. I swear the bike was tilted over 45 degrees to go straight, but that was a steady wind. In the case of getting blown sideways, it was a gust on a windy day.
Yeah....weight has a lot to do with it as well. As you'd mentioned, your Nomad was a lot heavier than the RT, and the '13 RT that I was riding was loaded with my luggage.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #34 of 60 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 10:52 am

Quote:
Yeah....weight has a lot to do with it as well. As you'd mentioned, your Nomad was a lot heavier than the RT, and the '13 RT that I was riding was loaded with my luggage.
250lbs heavier plus I weigh over 300, but that's the same with either bike.
kbd11 likes this.

Ponch

2009 RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335
VROC 8109-R
VBA 19
post #35 of 60 Old Jul 18th, 2015, 5:47 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Adding Lights on the BMW R1200RTw is not an easy feat. I have the lights mounted and wanted (will) go with the cleaner BMW OEM switch and wiring. Trust out that by doing that the wiring is about $250 for the switch, a bracket to mount the switch and the harness for the two LED Lights. Then you install all this and have to go to the dealer to get them "turned on" in the computer, which is another 1/2 hour plus charge. Have Rigid lights, great lights, not Clearwater name but great lights. So no new cost there but doing this aftermarket install is getting very expensive compared to just buying a $20 switch and so on. The only good part for this is no drilling holes for switches and easy to reach.
post #36 of 60 Old Jul 31st, 2015, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Now over 4,500 Miles into the bike. Side Wind motion is a lot less then other bikes I had. When you do above 60 Mph regardless of how bad the rain, you stay dry (impressively dry actually) until you have to slow down. Tires developed a small flat spot - PR4 have been great. Most of the miles have been 2 up loaded. Tire wear to about 3/4 finger wide from both edges - not bad at all - good leaning angles specially two up (she who shall not be named puts up with me) Rain mode is cool too, tried letting it break lose, yeah no such luck. Original seat is a serious pain in the butt and foot pegs to seat distance needs to be more specially on long rides. Still have not wired in the lights, hesitant on this one. BMW Wiring harness to the lights has 4 prong connector - lights only need two, not been able to find any wiring diagram on anything for the 2015 which sucks. Anyone have an idea where I can get one?
Overall - this bike is growing on me. Dynamic in the mountains really invites trouble, as does the bike. You want to go faster. Suspension on my GSA would allow me to run GoPro fine, no issues with vibration or shaking - RT yeah it shakes with the same mounting versions. Ordered Illiumworks Handlebar Risers. Let you know how they work out.
post #37 of 60 Old Aug 21st, 2015, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Now almost at 6,000 Miles. Starting to really like the Bike. Sounds weird? But the other day I went over Blood Mountain near Blairsville GA and i have been there many times. Different Motorcycles. With this new one it appeared to have shrunk a bit. Went over that mountain with all its twists and turns in a heartbeat. I actually had to think back if I missed something. This BMW is one heck of a temptress. Going fast and throwing it into turns is fun with it now. I am worried I will soon run out of tire - to much angle but as I am getting used to it, this machine really starting to grow on me. So far no leakage of any kind, no oil consumption. Service Light now comes on when I start it up now. Added the Illium Works Handle Bar Risers. Good stuff. Bring it to a much more comfortable position and moves me just enough back to have a larger more quiet pocket behind the fairing. The IW Risers also allow to mount standard stuff, so I mounted my Zumo with the Wunderlich MultiPod on it - fits great. Then came up with a switch from a Harley Davidson for the LED lights, it fits perfectly on the IW Risers and has a Blue light on it so it matches the Motorcycle - Grip Switch. That fixed the adding lights problem to a 2015 RT and bypasses the whole computer interface straight to the Battery and a fuse block. Might not have dimming and other stuff but I have great lights and will be seen for sure for a lot less money. Switch was $60 comes with 7 feet of wire, Rigid Lights I had from GSA mounted to IW Crash Bar. So far so good. Big trip coming up to RA Rally, looking forward to it.
litespeed likes this.
post #38 of 60 Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

Garage

7,200 miles into it. Tires are getting there especially the back has developed a flat spot and will be getting close to wear indicators soon. But mostly two up loaded the Tires have been good to me. Great in the wet, was never worried about them even at good speeds like 60 / 65 on standard roads in pouring rain. The other item I initially did not think I would like or use much turns out to be a really comforting thing - Hill Start Control. The more I use it, the more I use it. Its great two up on a steep hill, lock it and you have both hands free or you don't have to worry about getting rolling. Surprising how well it works. Could be a little easier to overcome when you try to get going but overall two thumbs up - very useful. Driving the bike without passenger, I find myself more and more in the situation of acting like I am driving a Rocket. This bike is asking for a spanking so I oblige sometimes and grin ear to ear (nearly). The more I ride this bike the more I find myself in agreement with people that said best Sport Touring Bike. With one exception - the damn seat is a serious pain in the you know what. Why they sell it with a seat like that, no idea but they could offer it right from the start with a great seat on it, this would really put the cherry on the icing of this cake Next Stop - RA Rally in Harrison Arkansas

And Oh Yeah - service costs! This BMW has been - surprising - is the best word. $300 for initial service, then did another at 3K about $200 Oil changes front and rear included. 6K - FREE - did Oil Changes myself and BMW Dealer in ATL was kind enough to not charge for reset - very impressed. Changed Oil and Filter more then needed with all premium Oil. Happy happy so far.
litespeed likes this.

Last edited by Petrus; Sep 23rd, 2015 at 5:20 pm.
post #39 of 60 Old Sep 23rd, 2015, 8:27 pm

Petrus,
Do the IW bar risers require cable extensions, or are they plug and play? I agree with all your observations so far about the '15 RT!

2015 R1200RT WC....Ebony, fully loaded
post #40 of 60 Old Sep 24th, 2015, 3:19 am

1) The horn button is easier to reach without having to reposition your hand.
2) The fairing mirrors offer better vision than the camhead's but I have still ordered Wunderlich handlebar mirrors & brackets.
3) It's even harder to replace the low beam bulb!
4) It's very easy to break off the locating tabs on the fairing panel covering the radiators.
5) My RHS mirror fell off.
6) Great exhaust note as the revs climb.
7)The RHS stowage compartment that is wired to accept a mobile phone is too small for anything bigger than an iPhone 4.
8) They have discontinued the tank railing that accommodated the BMW tankbag - the best I've ever had.
9) I like the feel of the grips.
10) The suspension feels very planted.
11) It's a whole new bike and more refined than its predecessor.
litespeed likes this.
post #41 of 60 Old Sep 24th, 2015, 7:13 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by japgen View Post
Petrus,
Do the IW bar risers require cable extensions, or are they plug and play? I agree with all your observations so far about the '15 RT!
Since I just did this Plug and Pray.

However I would rent their tool as it makes it very easy to get the grips out. Other wise they are talking hammer and heat and all kinds of stuff.

I am sure a handy person could fashion something. I should have taken pics.

I love mine for sure.

I also love the RT and have fallen in love with motorcycling again.

It has a few small skin tags, not even warts, but I am over them with no issues.

Lee
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 Sold
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT Totaled 7/17/2010
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #42 of 60 Old Sep 24th, 2015, 10:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPadden View Post
Most people combine the Skyline Drive and count it as part of the BRP; with exits and entrances it's much closer to 600......
We will be doing a x-country both ways trip starting on the west coast and the BRP will be on our route towards Maine, however we will be accessing BRP around Asheville KY. I'm assuming Skyline is south of there? I know Asheville is north of the southern end of the BRP.

Thanks
post #43 of 60 Old Sep 24th, 2015, 9:38 pm

Garage

Skyline drive is the 100 +/- miles at the north end of the BRP, which starts in VA.

Jack Goertz
'12 Triumph Bonneville
'15 BMW R1200RT
post #44 of 60 Old Sep 25th, 2015, 1:24 am

My .02 worth after riding the BRP the skyline is disappointing IMO. 25-35 speed limit and some great views. Oh yeah and you have to pay $$
jimjim likes this.
post #45 of 60 Old Sep 25th, 2015, 12:16 pm

Quote:
We ordered the case for the RT plus the pads from the GTL - case is the same as GTL - supposedly. But when you change the Pads you need to change the hinges on it, s you need that. We also added the LED light on the case, then wired that in with the Skeene Design lights and now I have flashing Led lights on the Top Case and next to the Plate. Just one thing - I wish they would make cases that are not all black on the inside - can't find a darn thing in it.
Yerp, that is what I am doing next weekend. Buying the RT top case with GT backpads for the wife. I would think that the GTL with arm rests would fit on as well.

It's a living....
post #46 of 60 Old Sep 25th, 2015, 1:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davagail View Post
My .02 worth after riding the BRP the skyline is disappointing IMO. 25-35 speed limit and some great views. Oh yeah and you have to pay $$
My thoughts also, I have no desire to ride Skyline Drive again.

'14 R1200RT
'12 Tiger 800
post #47 of 60 Old Sep 25th, 2015, 4:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by davagail View Post
$10.00 lifetime pass to National Parks for age 62 and over.
Senior Pass
$10 Lifetime pass
For U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over.
May be obtained in person at a federal recreation site or through the mail using this application form. The cost of obtaining a Senior Pass through the mail is twenty dollars ($20). Ten ($10) for the Senior Pass and ten ($10) for processing the application. Applicants must provide documentation of age and residency or citizenship.
May provide a 50 percent discount on some amenity fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services.
Generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Current: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Last edited by Scubadoc; Sep 25th, 2015 at 4:20 pm. Reason: Additional information added
post #48 of 60 Old Sep 26th, 2015, 6:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff42 View Post
Yerp, that is what I am doing next weekend. Buying the RT top case with GT backpads for the wife. I would think that the GTL with arm rests would fit on as well.
Quote:
What do you men when you said you had to change the hinges on the top case? Looking at the pictures they both look identical. Also did you put the GTL armrests on also?
post #49 of 60 Old Sep 27th, 2015, 8:22 am

Garage

Quote:
For years now I have been riding BMW. Also had many other bikes. Glowing, CB1000, GSXR, Guzzi and so on. Last bikes before the RT were GSA's.
1600 Miles into the RT here are my ground up impressions:
1. Tires - Michelin PR4 GT - great wheels, quiet, sticky and safe on the wet roads of BRP.
2. Rims - like that they finally put the air valve into the spokes - easy to fill front and back at 90 degree angle
3. Tupperware - lots of it. The bottom cover next to the cylinder head right side is "held" on by a grommet - a 1/4 inch grommet! a little know supposed to into the grommet and two screws. The grommet falls out and holds nothing - on a 20K bike they can't find a better way then a grommet? Really?
4. Luggage - spoiled by GSA aluminum side cases and top case. Capacity no comparison GSA beats RT hands down. Better way to pack, more room even with GTL top case on the RT. Better to pack and GSA can be loaded like a Mule and ridden all day long. Plastic hinges? Top loading is way better in my opinion. Nothing to hold stuff together and in beside a couple rubber bands.
5. OEM Seat - had worse but after a couple hours rear end will hurt - expected that based on past experience I added upgraded seat to almost any bike - except GW.
6. Mirrors - more form then function. They are fitted nicely into the bike but I can see my levers and handlebar in them. After Honda St owners complained about this same issue for years, BMW goes and does the same thing? Duh! They are steady and show actually a good part of the road, but moved out a little more and little larger would be better.
7. Instruments - was not a friend of "the wheel". In one month I am wondering why we did not have that before! Great way to deal with all sorts of adjustments - has become second nature. Adjust anything without having to fumble or look at it. All for it. Dashboard - nice. Easily readable unless you wear bright neon green - reflects of the surface and makes it very hard to read and see. Maybe different color then black as background might be good?
8. Windshield - works well. As you raise it you can feel when the pressure switches from top to side - pushes you forward as you raise the shield, other then get alright but will probably get wider taller.
9. Handlebar - slight lean forward for 5"10" - not uncomfortable but will get riser
10. Passenger comfort with GTL setup and case - she is comfortable even on long rides - besides OEM seat of course but we can go a couple hours without complaint.
11. Suspension - interesting. ESA II was cushy comfy in soft, swallowed every bump. RTW ESA - reminds me of Sport Bike - much tighter even in soft and road mode. Change it to Normal and bike becomes very precise - feels good but after a while over bumpy roads and stock seat... Hard is exactly that - hard but fun in the twists for sure - you feel every pebble it seems and get vey good feedback.
Overall still trying to figure out what I like better the GSA suspension or the RT both have their good parts. ESA has made me lazy - spin the wheel as you ride and adjust to whatever you want...
12. Frame - much stiffer, much less flex. Great handing in twists and even with two up - can't feel the extra load back there and that is nice going through all the twisty roads we can find. Like the new frame. Like the lower ride height, more foot on the ground for me, definitely better for two up then tippy toe.
14. Engine (won't jinks that one ) - Awesome. Great response, breathing much better from low up, go to Dynamic and puppy moves. Road is daily commute setup. Nice speed of response, good for everyday use or two up. Rain - nice when your riding through a waterfall of a rainstorm. Go past 3,500 RPM and she packs a punch. 75 at 4K not bad, open the throttle in 6th gear and you exceed any legal limit in a few seconds by far - I think . I really like the exhaust note too - nice deep rummble, quiet but aggressive, not loud like some bikes we all know
15. Two up riding - compared to GW - not as luxurious but a lot lot lighter weight in parking lots and through the corners other then that very good ride and very much fun for both of us. Very enjoyable, very quick.
16. Overall - still weaning myself of the GSA (sigh) which was the ultimate milage eater for me. Going coast to coast no problem, any day and reliably. Two up this new RT will be hard to beat - if she holds up. Oh yeah - Radio - did I mention Radio? with XM is pretty cool and I like it, many may not for me it is a very nice to have. Would I buy it again with all the little annoyances I found so far - for two up yes. By myself - GSA any day if I can lower it a little. My two cents.
Farkles so far: Blind Spot Mirrors (Saeng), installed Zumo but will eventually buy BMW GPS. LED Top lights and LED Flashers rear - nicely visible from back now.
Farkles next: Crash Bars - protect that Tupperware and heads. Risers, Side stand enlarger, passenger platforms, arm rests for passenger - see if GTL's will fit. Led lights front.
Petrus,
Reference your item #3 on your review.....
Mine did the same thing... I got a small rubber washer at the local hardware store, put it on the top screw between the frame and the cover, this relieves tension on the grommet...
Then used some hairspray on the grommet, insert the grommet while the hairspray is wet...this works, the grommet stays put....
When you remove the cover to inspect the battery, need to apply the hairspray again.......
Simple cure, however it works....
reg26 likes this.
post #50 of 60 Old Oct 1st, 2015, 1:52 pm

My $.02- We left home (MA.) with 750 miles on my new RT, rode everyday for 41 days through 34 states (12,500 mi.) Two- up, fully loaded with temps ranging from 40-110 degrees, on every road from super highways (80-90mph) to dirt, rock- laden cow paths.
AND- this bike didn't skip a beat! I had a 06 RT that I thought was the best bike I had ever owned (I've owned plenty, I've been riding for over 45 yrs) and sold it for the WC. Glad I did.
OK, then what sucks? The seat! I couldn't ride one hour on that thing, but I couldn't on any stock seat. I recently road a 1600GT and I thought the same thing about that seat---and other things I hated about it (but that's another story)...let's just say I would trade my RT for it!
Carrying capacity/storage- not as much under the seat as the older RT's and the luggage rack is too small. We used soft bags, bungies, my buddy who road with us on his 14RT had the trunk and liked it (but over $1.5K!!! Please. I'm looking at options now)
S.O.'s comfort- GOOD. She did mention that in really hot weather, over 90, that the heat built up in from of her legs in front of the side cases (I think the heat comes out of the exit vents in the side of the fairing and wraps around my legs and hits her's). And she didn't have enough room from footpeg to front of case....a lot of her boot had to hang off the front. But that was about it! She's incredible anyway about long hours in the saddle...never complains!
Windshield- GOOD...we both got a CalSci because of the great job it did on my 06, but put the stock shield back on before we left as it was better.....not perfect...but better......so I just ordered another brand, will see. No problem really with the stock one on the trip though.
Tires- PR4GT- front=8600 miles, rear almost 12k!
We did every Nat'l Park, twisty road we could find at safe but "fast" speeds and this bike rocked!!!
I think it may be the perfect motorcycle.....
that is all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.