For years now I have been riding BMW. Also had many other bikes. Glowing, CB1000, GSXR, Guzzi and so on. Last bikes before the RT were GSA's.
1600 Miles into the RT here are my ground up impressions:
1. Tires - Michelin PR4 GT - great wheels, quiet, sticky and safe on the wet roads of BRP.
2. Rims - like that they finally put the air valve into the spokes - easy to fill front and back at 90 degree angle
3. Tupperware - lots of it. The bottom cover next to the cylinder head right side is "held" on by a grommet - a 1/4 inch grommet! a little know supposed to into the grommet and two screws. The grommet falls out and holds nothing - on a 20K bike they can't find a better way then a grommet? Really?
4. Luggage - spoiled by GSA aluminum side cases and top case. Capacity no comparison GSA beats RT hands down. Better way to pack, more room even with GTL top case on the RT. Better to pack and GSA can be loaded like a Mule and ridden all day long. Plastic hinges? Top loading is way better in my opinion. Nothing to hold stuff together and in beside a couple rubber bands.
5. OEM Seat - had worse but after a couple hours rear end will hurt - expected that based on past experience I added upgraded seat to almost any bike - except GW.
6. Mirrors - more form then function. They are fitted nicely into the bike but I can see my levers and handlebar in them. After Honda St owners complained about this same issue for years, BMW goes and does the same thing? Duh! They are steady and show actually a good part of the road, but moved out a little more and little larger would be better.
7. Instruments - was not a friend of "the wheel". In one month I am wondering why we did not have that before! Great way to deal with all sorts of adjustments - has become second nature. Adjust anything without having to fumble or look at it. All for it. Dashboard - nice. Easily readable unless you wear bright neon green - reflects of the surface and makes it very hard to read and see. Maybe different color then black as background might be good?
8. Windshield - works well. As you raise it you can feel when the pressure switches from top to side - pushes you forward as you raise the shield, other then get alright but will probably get wider taller.
9. Handlebar - slight lean forward for 5"10" - not uncomfortable but will get riser
10. Passenger comfort with GTL setup and case - she is comfortable even on long rides - besides OEM seat of course but we can go a couple hours without complaint.
11. Suspension - interesting. ESA II was cushy comfy in soft, swallowed every bump. RTW ESA - reminds me of Sport Bike - much tighter even in soft and road mode. Change it to Normal and bike becomes very precise - feels good but after a while over bumpy roads and stock seat... Hard is exactly that - hard but fun in the twists for sure - you feel every pebble it seems and get vey good feedback.
Overall still trying to figure out what I like better the GSA suspension or the RT both have their good parts. ESA has made me lazy - spin the wheel as you ride and adjust to whatever you want...
12. Frame - much stiffer, much less flex. Great handing in twists and even with two up - can't feel the extra load back there and that is nice going through all the twisty roads we can find. Like the new frame. Like the lower ride height, more foot on the ground for me, definitely better for two up then tippy toe.
14. Engine (won't jinks that one
) - Awesome. Great response, breathing much better from low up, go to Dynamic and puppy moves. Road is daily commute setup. Nice speed of response, good for everyday use or two up. Rain - nice when your riding through a waterfall of a rainstorm. Go past 3,500 RPM and she packs a punch. 75 at 4K not bad, open the throttle in 6th gear and you exceed any legal limit in a few seconds by far - I think
. I really like the exhaust note too - nice deep rummble, quiet but aggressive, not loud like some bikes we all know
15. Two up riding - compared to GW - not as luxurious but a lot lot lighter weight in parking lots and through the corners other then that very good ride and very much fun for both of us. Very enjoyable, very quick.
16. Overall - still weaning myself of the GSA (sigh) which was the ultimate milage eater for me. Going coast to coast no problem, any day and reliably. Two up this new RT will be hard to beat - if she holds up. Oh yeah - Radio - did I mention Radio? with XM is pretty cool and I like it, many may not for me it is a very nice to have. Would I buy it again with all the little annoyances I found so far - for two up yes. By myself - GSA any day if I can lower it a little. My two cents.
Farkles so far: Blind Spot Mirrors (Saeng), installed Zumo but will eventually buy BMW GPS. LED Top lights and LED Flashers rear - nicely visible from back now.
Farkles next: Crash Bars - protect that Tupperware and heads. Risers, Side stand enlarger, passenger platforms, arm rests for passenger - see if GTL's will fit. Led lights front.