BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

49 L Top case lock cylinder question

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dr. Montano 
#1 ·
I just received my new 49 L top case for my GT this afternoon. Problem is that the lock cylinder is not in the case, as it has not been keyed. I cannot figure out how to open the case without the key cylinder in the case. No instructions came with it, just the cylinder,a bunch of little parts and a message stating that a qualified BMW dealer should install and key it.

Is this something a local locksmith can do or do I have to take 120 miles to Atlanta in my cage to get this done? Is there anyway to open the case without the cylinder in the case so I can mount it on the bike and take it to Atlanta?

I've seen instructions concerning this somewhere but have not been able to find them again.

Help! :confused:

#2 ·
REWDOC said:
I just received my new 49 L top case for my GT this afternoon. Problem is that the lock cylinder is not in the case, as it has not been keyed. I cannot figure out how to open the case without the key cylinder in the case. No instructions came with it, just the cylinder,a bunch of little parts and a message stating that a qualified BMW dealer should install and key it.

Is this something a local locksmith can do or do I have to take 120 miles to Atlanta in my cage to get this done? Is there anyway to open the case without the cylinder in the case so I can mount it on the bike and take it to Atlanta?

I've seen instructions concerning this somewhere but have not been able to find them again.

Help! :confused:
You can use the bare cylinder that came with the lockset and your bike's key to unlock the trunk. Just make sure the retaining tab is not in the cylinder. You can insert the cylinder in the trunk and rotate it with the key, then remove the cylinder when you have it open. You can also use a large flat bladed screwdriver in the rectangular hole at the back of the lockset opening in the trunk.

Keying the cylinder is an acquired talent. The little tabs come in three lengths and are numbered "1", "2" and "3". You insert a small spring in the round portion of the slot closest the the front of the lock then you can test fit the tabs (tumbler) until you find the one that is flush with both sides of the lock cylinder when the key is inserted. You repeat this for the next five tab positions. Each tab is inserted in the cylinder from the side opposite to the one before it. Insert the key and leave it in the cylinder to hold all of the tabs in place. Be certain that all tabs are flush with the cylinder on both sides when the key is in place. The retaining tab is the only one that is open on one end and it goes in the very last slot at the back of the cylinder. Use a spring first, then slip this tab in place while the key is in the cylinder. Then you hold the retaining tab with your finger and insert the cylinder into the trunk lock opening, making sure that the base of the cylinder aligns with the rectangular notch in the trunk opening. Rotate the cylinder slightly left and right until the cylinder is fully seated in the opening.

Caution:There is no turning back when you insert the cylinder. It is very difficult to get to the retaining tab to release the cylinder to remove it.

A dealer can do this whole process in about 5 minutes.

#3 ·
Randy said:
You can use the bare cylinder that came with the lockset and your bike's key to unlock the trunk. Just make sure the retaining tab is not in the cylinder. You can insert the cylinder in the trunk and rotate it with the key, then remove the cylinder when you have it open. You can also use a large flat bladed screwdriver in the rectangular hole at the back of the lockset opening in the trunk.

Keying the cylinder is an acquired talent. The little tabs come in three lengths and are numbered "1", "2" and "3". You insert a small spring in the round portion of the slot closest the the front of the lock then you can test fit the tabs (tumbler) until you find the one that is flush with both sides of the lock cylinder when the key is inserted. You repeat this for the next five tab positions. Each tab is inserted in the cylinder from the side opposite to the one before it. Insert the key and leave it in the cylinder to hold all of the tabs in place. Be certain that all tabs are flush with the cylinder on both sides when the key is in place. The retaining tab is the only one that is open on one end and it goes in the very last slot at the back of the cylinder. Use a spring first, then slip this tab in place while the key is in the cylinder. Then you hold the retaining tab with your finger and insert the cylinder into the trunk lock opening, making sure that the base of the cylinder aligns with the rectangular notch in the trunk opening. Rotate the cylinder slightly left and right until the cylinder is fully seated in the opening.

Caution:There is no turning back when you insert the cylinder. It is very difficult to get to the retaining tab to release the cylinder to remove it.

Thanks Randy,

I'm pretty sure that I got the cylinder keyed correctly last night. With key in cylinder, all of the tabs are flush. Thanks for telling me how to open the case with out the cylinder. I'll try the screw driver first. If that doesn't work, I'll take the tabs out of the cylinder and open it that way. I really hate the thought of driving 250 miles just to get someone to insert the cylinder into the case. I'll be out of town tonight and tomorrow. I'll give it a try on Sunday.

Thanks again,

#4 · (Edited)
Randy said:

Hi Randy,

I was able to key the cylinder, insert it into the case and everything is working as it should. :yeah: However, I have one more question.

The instruction book, which I found in the case after I was able to open it, states that their are 4 protective strips for the luggage carrier of the K 1200 GT which need to be installed, "if applicable". I don't see that they came with the top case. Is this something that I need to order or do I even need them. They look like little rubber strips with sticky backing that go over the black semi-gloss metal to which the top case attaches.

Thanks,

#5 ·
REWDOC said:
Hi Randy,

I was able to key the cylinder, insert it into the case and everything is working as it should. :yeah: However, I have one more question.

The instruction book, which I found in the case after I was able to open it, states that their are 4 protective strips for the luggage carrier of the K 1200 GT which need to be installed, "if applicable". I don't see that they came with the top case. Is this something that I need to order or do I even need them. They look like little rubber strips with sticky backing that go over the black semi-gloss metal to which the top case attaches.

Thanks,
I have an extra 49lt top case if anyone is interested, PM me. Thanks.

#6 ·
I have a problem with my lock cylinder on my new top case. Reviving this thread, rather than making another, because I believe it's a good thing to put all info regarding one matter together. Old threads are often a great resource.

I had no idea what had to be done to install the new lock in my new top case, so I just put it in there... It seemed to work, but it doesn't really. I can open the case with the key, but often have to turn it clockwise to the limit two or three times before turning it anticlockwise to the vertical position so that the pushbutton opens the case. It seems there is something that falls into place, but rather random and not very practical if you're in a hurry.

Hope I have not ruined this lock and made myself a lot of work. There were no instructions or indications and since everyting else was just plug and play, dead simple, it seemed this would also be the case for the lock.

Any sugestions as to how to fix my lock so it works without fiddling?

I've oiled the lock and the mechanism, but that did not fix it.

Thanks for any pointers or ideas. Thanks for reading.

Happy riding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.