Tank bag recommendations - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By TF1200RT
  • 1 Post By Mr BMVOO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 12:26 pm Thread Starter

Tank bag recommendations

Anyone have any recommendations for a decent tank bag? I have a 2007 r1200rt (as pictured below). I don't want a big one. I just need one to hold my basic stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 1:33 pm

Re: Tank bag recommendations

Do yourself a favor and try to find a used tank bag that is made for an RT. I had a 2005 with the BMW bag and it is so much easier to deal with than an aftermarket bag. Fits right on the rail and is easy to remove and attach.
Dorfnarr likes this.

2009 K1300GT
2005 BMW R1200RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 17th, 2017, 10:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF1200RT View Post
Do yourself a favor and try to find a used tank bag that is made for an RT. I had a 2005 with the BMW bag and it is so much easier to deal with than an aftermarket bag. Fits right on the rail and is easy to remove and attach.

Any good websites that sell some?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 1:37 am

[QUOTE=Dorfnarr;1701761]Anyone have any recommendations for a decent tank bag? I have a 2007 r1200rt (as pictured below). I don't want a big one. I just need one to hold my basic stuff.

Before I purchased my R1200RT, I went to the motorcycle show in Milan. I looked at all the tank bags there. Wunderlich, BMW, and on, and on..... The Givi stuff struck me right away. I visited with the sales people and was sold! I found a model similar to the 3D603 on the discontinued isle of a local store. I dont see my model on the website any longer. I LOVE the Givi. i got some of the electrical connectors as well. i would buy it again!!!!
Good Luck!
Dorfnarr likes this.

2016 R1200RT
BMW- It's not just a motorcycle, It's an attitude!
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 9:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Your best bet is the BMW tank bag as it is made for the tank rack, but pretty expensive. I use a Touratech Low Profile tank bag (got a great deal on a used one) which is not as convenient to put on or take off but is very easy. I only have to turn the upper twist locks and lay the bag back towards the seat to fill with gas. Do not have to remove the bag completely, I do get off the bike to fill the tank with fuel. Other options would be bags from companies that use an adapter mounted to the gas filler ring and basically are a twist and lock system. Lots of options out there just need to fine the one that work best for your needs.

Other people have bought used BMW tank bags and removed the mounting system and attached it to their existing tank bag, getting the best of both systems.

Dennis Franks
Illinois

2012 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT traded-in
BMW-MOA 156125

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 3:49 pm

Had touratech flat tankbag on 2009 rt, loved it!

He who is not busy being born is busy dying. - Bob Dylan
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Check SWMotech bags for application to your model year. Installed one on my 16, really works well for me. Easy on/off, does not touch tank surface..
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 18th, 2017, 9:36 pm

Check Fleabay for the BMW bag for this bike. As mentioned, they're expensive, but I think, worth it.

Good sized bag, extendable liner and zippers, waterproof liner. I found one that was in new condition, so they are out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.