BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

cal sci windshield

22K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  nykipper 
#1 ·
I just installed the Cal Sci wind screen on my K16 and took it for a 300K rip this afternoon. I really like it because the turbulence and back pressure is gone. I am 6'4" and have generally gone with a Cee Bailey +3 or +4 on previous LT's and GT's. I find this considerably quieter and calmer than the Cee Bailey and will definitely be going this route on my next bike.

#2 ·
Ron,

I installed the same on mine and I also found the lack (nice!) of back pressure. I haven't been in the rain yet and still wonder about the hole on the bottom. I can feel air coming through and wonder what's going to happen when I hit a Florida downpour?

#3 ·
I installed my CalSci 2 weeks ago. Initial impression was it stopped most of the buffeting.

The big win for me was it was a medium and so now I cold see over it.

I did a 500k ride on Monday...rained for about 3/4 of the ride. Didn't notice any problems with the rain through the hole generally speaking....however...

On the last 30 minutes we had major thunderstorms and drops the size and feel of hailstones. Road was absolutely awash and I was like a drowned rat.

Rain does come in but it's coming anyway. The bigger challenge I noticed was that the rain comes in the hole and streams up the inside of the screen. Probably not a lot more than any other screen but definitely noticed it. The downside...

None really because I'm soaked anyway, except that now if you want to look through the screen it's a helmet visor with rain drops, and a screen with rain distortion on both sides so not much hope of seeing through it. not sure that any other screen would be any different?

As a final observation the back pressure is gone completely and the buffeting was much less generally...except over +/- 100kph. Then the buffeting starts again but nowhere near the stock screen.

Im hopeful Mark will keep investigating the best screen for this bike.

#4 ·
I don't ride very much in the rain, and because of that, and the talk of reduced back pressure and buffeting, I made my purchase. The question about the rain was mostly rhetorical. Overall, I think I'm happing with the CS.

When it rains, in the past, I've lowered my windshield and look through the helmets visor. Rain seems to either bounce off or run away quicker than the bikes windshield. Looking through two pieces of wet plastic never worked.

It should be interesting to see a Love Bug come through the windshield though!

#7 ·
Not tried the CalSci on the 1600 but did have one on the 1300GT. It worked very well and I would expect the same from them for the GTL. I did replace my stock GTL shield for a GT and it does work better and without the topcase almost eliminates the buffeting around semi trucks.

On all my BMW windshields, be they stock, Cee Bailey, V-Stream or CalSci, I found that there is a "sweet spot" on all where the water blows off the screen and helmet almost as if being hit with a leaf blower. It is usually occurs about 2/3 of the way up and the zone is very narrow, but there is a spot where water magically sheds from the windscreen and helmet alike. I put the stock GTL screen back on for a ride from Knoxville to Memphis and back knowing that it was going to be cold and rainy the whole way over and back. We got into some very heavy rain around Nashville both ways and, sure enough, I was able to find the "spot" and made it through the rain without any problem.

The only bad news is I discovered the crotch in Frogg Toggs DO leak if you sit in a puddle of water for more than a little bit.

Hope to pick up a CalSci windscreen sometime before spring. I wish they'd been available before I bought the GT screen.

#9 ·
pushin9s said:
Not tried the CalSci on the 1600 but did have one on the 1300GT. It worked very well and I would expect the same from them for the GTL. I did replace my stock GTL shield for a GT and it does work better and without the topcase almost eliminates the buffeting around semi trucks.

On all my BMW windshields, be they stock, Cee Bailey, V-Stream or CalSci, I found that there is a "sweet spot" on all where the water blows off the screen and helmet almost as if being hit with a leaf blower. It is usually occurs about 2/3 of the way up and the zone is very narrow, but there is a spot where water magically sheds from the windscreen and helmet alike. I put the stock GTL screen back on for a ride from Knoxville to Memphis and back knowing that it was going to be cold and rainy the whole way over and back. We got into some very heavy rain around Nashville both ways and, sure enough, I was able to find the "spot" and made it through the rain without any problem.

The only bad news is I discovered the crotch in Frogg Toggs DO leak if you sit in a puddle of water for more than a little bit.

Hope to pick up a CalSci windscreen sometime before spring. I wish they'd been available before I bought the GT screen.
My GTL came with the GT screen and switching to the CS was an improvement.

You are right about that "sweet spot" in the rain. It's nice when you find it. Makes seeing while riding in the rain, for me, better than when I'm in the cage.

#10 ·
DanDiver said:
My GTL came with the GT screen and switching to the CS was an improvement.

You are right about that "sweet spot" in the rain. It's nice when you find it. Makes seeing while riding in the rain, for me, better than when I'm in the cage.
Dan,

That's exactly what my experience has been. It's really is like someone is blowing the water off your windscreen and helmet, even at slower speeds. I don't have any issues with rain, even heavy rain, when I find that spot. It's way better than RainX and doesn't hurt the plastic either!

#14 ·
I washed my bike for the first time in several months yesterday and after months of no rain around here, guess what it did today?

Yep! Rained all day........

I found that the CS windshield works well in the rain though and only when it is raised up to the top does rain come through the hole. Not much, but some..

I'm trying to get them to tell me how to mix the washing solution that they send with the new windshields. It works very well and I'm almost out.

#16 ·
Just received my XXL Windshield from Cal-Sci. After putting it on the bike I see a small "Bubble" about 3 inches from the top of the shield. As I like to look threw the windshield this will be a problem for me.
I Called Cal-Sci & they are sending me new windshield at no charge with a return label so I can send this one back after I get the new one.

Very good customer service. :thumb:

#17 ·
katnapinn said:
Just received my XXL Windshield from Cal-Sci. After putting it on the bike I see a small "Bubble" about 3 inches from the top of the shield. As I like to look threw the windshield this will be a problem for me.
I Called Cal-Sci & they are sending me new windshield at no charge with a return label so I can send this one back after I get the new one.

Very good customer service. :thumb:
That's always good to hear Steve.

#18 ·
DanDiver said:
I washed my bike for the first time in several months yesterday and after months of no rain around here, guess what it did today?

Yep! Rained all day........

I found that the CS windshield works well in the rain though and only when it is raised up to the top does rain come through the hole. Not much, but some..

I'm trying to get them to tell me how to mix the washing solution that they send with the new windshields. It works very well and I'm almost out.
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html

Scroll down to cleaning your windshield.

#19 ·
Thanks - I knew that I had seen it someplace, but I wasen't able to locate it. Here it is for anyone who wants to give it a try. I've been using just water up to now, but this really does work better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cleaning your Windshield
We make our own cleaning fluid. When you buy a windshield from us, we give you a small spray bottle of cleaning fluid and a micro-fiber cleaning towel. Here's our "secret" washing fluid recipe, the result of testing about 25 different formulas:

Makes 1 quart = 1 liter windshield washing fluid 1/2 cup = 100ml ammonia (double this if you have a lot of bugs)
2 cups = 400ml isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
1.5 tsp = 8ml car wash detergent (don't substitute dish soap or laundry detergent)
2 cups = 500ml water

We recommend using only micro-fiber cleaning towels on your windshield.

If you don't want to play home chemist, go to WalMart and buy a gallon of Peak Windshield Cleaner (blue), about $1, and a gallon of Peak Bug Remover / RainX (green), about $1.50. Mix them 50-50 and use that on your motorcycle and in your car.

#20 ·
DanDiver said:
Thanks - I knew that I had seen it someplace, but I wasen't able to locate it. Here it is for anyone who wants to give it a try. I've been using just water up to now, but this really does work better.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cleaning your Windshield
We make our own cleaning fluid. When you buy a windshield from us, we give you a small spray bottle of cleaning fluid and a micro-fiber cleaning towel. Here's our "secret" washing fluid recipe, the result of testing about 25 different formulas:

Makes 1 quart = 1 liter windshield washing fluid 1/2 cup = 100ml ammonia (double this if you have a lot of bugs)
2 cups = 400ml isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol
1.5 tsp = 8ml car wash detergent (don't substitute dish soap or laundry detergent)
2 cups = 500ml water

We recommend using only micro-fiber cleaning towels on your windshield.

If you don't want to play home chemist, go to WalMart and buy a gallon of Peak Windshield Cleaner (blue), about $1, and a gallon of Peak Bug Remover / RainX (green), about $1.50. Mix them 50-50 and use that on your motorcycle and in your car.

Works great!!!

#21 ·
Got my first ride with the CalSci XXL Sunday & it worked very well. There was a strong north wind so it was hard to tell just how well it worked sometimes with the cross winds. Riding with the wind (either into or at my back) the shield made a perfect "bubble" around me with very calm & quiet air. All in All I think it will be a keeper. I'll know better next month when Sammie & I ride out to Big Bend for a few days.

#22 ·
Steve, I too added the CS windshield (significant less back pressure) and just recently removed the top of the rear back rest. I rode the bike for the first time at highway speed and noticed that there seemed to be even less turbulence. Might just be anecdotal and odd because I ride occasionally without the top case. Just seemed to be less.

Does your windshield touch the black plastic backing just below the hole? I haven't spoken to CS yet, but it seems that some don't. Mine actually makes contact.

#23 ·
Hey Dan, What size did you buy? I Was thinking about buying one too, and wasn't sure what size I would need. According to the companies chart I would be a Medium but not sure because I might want a higher one.Do you usually look thru the windshield when you ride?Or do you like to look over the top?I like to look thru the windshield when I ride. I am 5'8 with about a 30" inseam....what size do you suggest? Thanks, Kipper. :bmw:

#24 ·
DanDiver said:
Does your windshield touch the black plastic backing just below the hole? I haven't spoken to CS yet, but it seems that some don't. Mine actually makes contact.
Dan Yes mine does touch also. I was thinking I would get some clear 3M sheet big enough to cover the cross piece. That would keep it from rubbing & might keep it cleaner in between the shield & the cross plate. As for the "Head Rest" I thought about removing it & getting a local upholstery to recover the pad like you did.

#25 ·
nykipper said:
Hey Dan, What size did you buy? I Was thinking about buying one too, and wasn't sure what size I would need. According to the companies chart I would be a Medium but not sure because I might want a higher one.Do you usually look thru the windshield when you ride?Or do you like to look over the top?I like to look thru the windshield when I ride. I am 5'8 with about a 30" inseam....what size do you suggest? Thanks, Kipper. :bmw:
Kipper I am 5' 9" & like looking thru the shield too. I went with the XXL mainly to help the buffeting my wife get on the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.