Communication systems for audio system K 1600 GT / GTL - Page 3 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 140 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 10:02 pm

Re: Communication systems for audio system K 1600 GT / GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzins
I said this on another forum but my issues at this point are:

1. Wireless only. When it works it's great, but wired is always better. Make sure you charge!

2. No PTT (Push to Talk). VOX works great given a set environment, but screen height, side wind, speed change these variable all the time.

3. NO FRS! This to me is the big deal breaker. I am new to BMW (ridding ST1300 now), and I hope there is a third party solution to this.

Still love the integration but I can live with 1 and 2 but item 3 is a kicker. Really no one at BMW thought about bike to bike communications with all the stuff they've put on the K1600 series? WOW!

Dave...
I have a 2011 RT with a wired J&M Integratr. I ran a wire from the line out plug to the Integratr and connect an FRS radio to that. The whole package resides under my seat and works flawlessly. I made my own PTT switch that I dual-locked under the left multiple-switch. I can't think of a better way to do it. I use the Nav IV, but I will admit that I do not use have a phone connected at all. Music is through the bikes system via a thumb drive with a ton of music and 9 playlists. I actually use 2 drives that I alternate. That gives me 18 playlists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 140 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 10:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaze12
I have about 4gig worth of music on a USB stick, all of it in individual directories (folders) by artist. Unfortunately, when I use the USB function for the radio it basically plays them alphabetically, and doesn't let me choose the folder (artist) I want to listen to.
On the RT you have to select how you want the USB to play. I think you can select album, artist, playlist or song by pressing and holding the "set" button while the USB stick is playing. I don't know if it is the same on the gt.
post #103 of 140 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 3:04 pm

Any suggestions as to how to connect the GTL audio system to support the use of earbuds?

post #104 of 140 Old Aug 20th, 2011, 4:00 pm
Old Slow Guy on a Fast Bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberger
Any suggestions as to how to connect the GTL audio system to support the use of earbuds?
Do You need to talk to others while riding?
Do You need to use a Phone or CB or FSR radio?
If the answer is NO to all the above than HERE YA GO

Stevie Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
2015 KLR650
post #105 of 140 Old Oct 27th, 2011, 4:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberger
Yes, bluetooth earbuds are available. The earbuds wire into a small half-dollar sized receiver that clips to your shirt. However, as discussed here, if you don't use the BMW communication system the bluetooth interop is limited. It MUST be BT2.0 compliant to work at all w/ the GT.

Personally, I gave up bought a Shuberth C3 and the BMW Communication System and everything works as advertised. I needed a new helmet anyway and had already decided to drop $700 on a shuberth. The $410 for the BMW CS was a hard swallow though.
post #106 of 140 Old Oct 27th, 2011, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggianop

Personally, I gave up bought a Shuberth C3 and the BMW Communication System and everything works as advertised. I needed a new helmet anyway and had already decided to drop $700 on a shuberth. The $410 for the BMW CS was a hard swallow though.
I use the same and really do like it. I think the key is to be a light user and have the correct size head. I only use it for my bikes audio and my GPS. It will easily add a BT cell phone and one more audio input.

I normally wear a large helmet and the Schuberth was too tight. I went up to the Extra Large and it fits like a well worn glove. I've worn it up to 14+ hours at a time with -0- discomfort. The sound is clear and the battery charge lasts around 12-13 hours.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #107 of 140 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 10:27 am

some other interesting audio system options at http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=40 ,,,,,
post #108 of 140 Old Jan 25th, 2012, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremme
I got my hands on this pdf today, it explains a bit of the audio system for the new K !

regards
STeinar
Thanks for the nice PDF.

Just got my new K1600 GLT and am looking for a intercom can anyone help?
My goal is to fully connect to the bike, be able to use the wheel on the left handlebar for volume, etc, iPhone, radio, and hold a conversation with passenger.

Is anyone doing this and enjoying?
Do I need the BMW intercom and a different sys for the pax? I'm trying to avoid buying two of those. Thanks for your suggestion in advance.

Have a great riding day.
post #109 of 140 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Could anyone share/show how well does the BMW Communications System controller integrates on a Schuberth helmet? How is it attached? Is it secure? Photos would be ideal if easy to take.
post #110 of 140 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 6:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno
Could anyone share/show how well does the BMW Communications System controller integrates on a Schuberth helmet? How is it attached? Is it secure? Photos would be ideal if easy to take.
It is intimately integrated into the C3.

The control unit is molded to fit the curve of the helmet side and attached with adhesive tape -- very secure. The electronics unit and the battery unit each fit into pre-formed pockets under the styrofoam at the rear of the helmet. The microphone boom mount is integrated into the side of the shell. The speakers alo fit into pre-formed pockets in the foam, but you should trim the pockets to center the speakers over your ear canals for best performance.

Somewhat tedious to install, but worth the time because it is so well mated with the helmet.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #111 of 140 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 8:17 am

When it is set up correctly, at least in my case, the audio for a motorcycle, is amazingly clear. I've had Nolan's and a few other wired helmets (no bluetooth) that did not sound 1/2 as good. Maybe I just got lucky with the speaker placement or maybe it is just that good, but even at highway speed, I can listen to talk radio and actually understand what is being said. That for me is a good test. AM is clear. Music is just as clear and that is at 80 MPH. I haven't turned the satellite radio on yet.

I used to wear ear plugs under all helmets and with the Schuberth helmet, they seem to be unnecessary. The fit of the helmet is critical and I actually went up a size to get a comfortable fit. It was comfortable on day one and feels just the same today after 5,000 miles and one 14+ hour trip.

The only thing I don't like is turning on the audio. It is not a big deal, just a little thing. Sometimes when I turn on the helmet, I have audio. Sometimes I don't and I have to turn everything off and then turn on again! There doesn't seem to be a pattern. Might have something to do with the syncing.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #112 of 140 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Thanks very much for your thoughts mneblett. Was wondering if the contours lined up and it sounds like you were happy with that. Also, I imagine the sealing tape is designed for riding in the rain correct? Where did you purchase your BMW Communications set up if you don't mind my asking?
post #113 of 140 Old Feb 9th, 2012, 10:23 pm

Quote:
Thanks very much for your thoughts mneblett. Was wondering if the contours lined up and it sounds like you were happy with that. Also, I imagine the sealing tape is designed for riding in the rain correct? Where did you purchase your BMW Communications set up if you don't mind my asking?
The tape is *very* secure, all weather -- no question in my mind as to its security. Zero "play" in the fit to the side of the helmet.

I purchased mine from my dealer, Morton's BMW, Fredricksburg, VA 540-891-9844.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #114 of 140 Old Feb 10th, 2012, 11:41 pm

Excellent. Thanks. My dealer carries all the Schuberth line but I might still inquire about the BMW system.

One more question if I may...how often do you adjust volume using the rotary controller on the handlebar? That is really the main thing that I understand from reading up on things that is lacking from the Schuberth system. If the auto volume adjustment works well enough that might not be that big of a deal. If adjusting the volume needs to take place often, I have read a few reviews about it being kind of tough to access the buttons on the Schuberth system...until you really have the locations memorized. You could say that about any system I suppose though.
post #115 of 140 Old Feb 11th, 2012, 7:35 am

Quote:
Excellent. Thanks. My dealer carries all the Schuberth line but I might still inquire about the BMW system.

One more question if I may...how often do you adjust volume using the rotary controller on the handlebar? That is really the main thing that I understand from reading up on things that is lacking from the Schuberth system. If the auto volume adjustment works well enough that might not be that big of a deal. If adjusting the volume needs to take place often, I have read a few reviews about it being kind of tough to access the buttons on the Schuberth system...until you really have the locations memorized. You could say that about any system I suppose though.
It all depends on that you are listing too. FM radio comes in at a steady volume over all stations most of the time. On Sat Radio different station seam to come in at different volume levels. Same for IPods or MP3 , they seam to have different volume levels per song. So if you use Sat radio or MP3 you will be using the volume control a lot.

Stevie Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
2015 KLR650
post #116 of 140 Old Mar 17th, 2012, 11:17 pm

Now we just need to figure out how to control the input levels of the various functions so you don't blast your ears out. My Behr aftermarket intercom for my K1200 LT was superb in this regard. Not only could you adjust the levels, you could do it by the left and right channels, a adjust the priority of inputs. I really miss it. Great level control and great audio - damm close to wearing a pair of headphones.

These two BMW manuals may help you.

My satellite radio input is overloading / over-driving the amp. It needs to be attenuated (turned down). Have a distortion of the music, but I can stand to listen to it. Same for the phone. It is way louder than anything else - feel like I have to turn down the volume all the way to the lowest level so I can converse without hearing damage. Again, overdriven to distortion. It might be how I paired things. I paried the phone to both the GPS and the helmet. I am going to unpair to the helmet. This way I can access my phone book thru the GPS screen.

Very disappointing when you spend 30K + on the bike, helmet and GPS and the sound quality is like a COBY clock radio wrapped in wax paper. Have my GTL bike for 2 weeks now. Plan on bring back to dealer and questioning them about it.

Anybody know how to adjust these input levels?

Glenn
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1600GT_GTL_Pairing_ENG_2011.pdf (447.8 KB, 151 views)
File Type: pdf BMW_Nav_IV_OM_EN.pdf (1.17 MB, 144 views)
post #117 of 140 Old May 13th, 2012, 5:55 pm

Angry Re: Communication systems for audio system K 1600 GT / GTL

May 2011, Bought and installed new system 6 in Bmw Helmut..Radio is distorted,sound is terrible . Dont buy! Any ideas on other systems?
post #118 of 140 Old May 13th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Have some disappointing news for your - there is no fix. I am driving up to see Adam of RocketMoto in a couple of weeks to have an Autocomm system installed. This seems to be the best option that people have done.

Curious, does the satellite sound ok out of the speakers, but like crap thru head set?

Can you hear the GPS at all when it voice prompts? I can't.

Had into my dealer. They are giving me credit for the communicator. It doesn't work as advertised. Shouldn't have to pay good money for somehting that doesn't work. Only the USB and the AM radio sound ok in the head set.
post #119 of 140 Old May 13th, 2012, 8:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngeri

Can you hear the GPS at all when it voice prompts? I can't.

Had into my dealer. They are giving me credit for the communicator. It doesn't work as advertised. Shouldn't have to pay good money for somehting that doesn't work. Only the USB and the AM radio sound ok in the head set.

I'm using the Schuberth C3 helmet and the communicator.
If you are using the Bluetooth, yours is not set up correctly. Mine is as loud as I want it to be. Re sync it.

My am/fm is better than my previous K1200LT Autocom/Nolan helmet. I am very please with the sound and it's volume. My satellite radio is not turned on yet.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #120 of 140 Old May 13th, 2012, 8:57 pm

The issue isn't so much if you can hear it, as it is the widely ranged volume levels - so much so that you can hurt your ears if your not careful. Satellite comes in very loud and significant distortion, USB comes in cleanly, but low volume, - have to turn up the thumb wheel most of the way. Cell phone is very loud. If I get a call, I have to turn down the volume almost all the way. GPS is barely audible unless the volume is turned all the way up to maximum level. Then you can't use anything else - it will blow out your ears.

I had bike into the dealer, went over and demonstrated issue with the tech. I also spoke to one of the principals of the dealership. He has a good friend with a GTL. He also has the distortion in headset, but apparently doesn't use the satellite and/or communicator for music purposes. He agrees with me and understands. They are giving me credit for it. I am going to do my best to see that he isn't hurt by BMW for this.

I have paired both to the Nav 1st, and then to the bike. I connect ok - when using the headset, but always have excessive distortion using satellite, moderate distortion on FM radio, very wide range of volume levels. Ipod sounds really good, but drops out after a few minutes - NO USB on display. There have been many posts on that. GPS cannot be heard unless the volume is almost all the way up. Then I can't use anything else. It sounds ok through the speakers though.

I've paired with the Nav in the bike, paired with the Nav out of the bike - done everything I can think of. My tech spoke with BMW service - they sort of side stepped it, not quite admitting there is an issue, but said they would look into it. BMW customer service called my tech after I complained to them, and asked my tech isn't there anything you can do?

If yours works, your very lucky. I'd love to know why yours does, and so many others don't. If it did work properly for the majority of purchasers, there wouldn't be so many people migrating to hard wired systems.
post #121 of 140 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 11:39 pm

I recently picked up a 2013 GTL, using the scala G9. I have the nav 4 and the ipod connector with sat. radio.

The G9 is paired to the bike and my iphone. Sirius and over the air radio all work great. Sound levels are correct and distortion free. Ipod also works great, no distortion and good sound levels, however the only time I have used it, the ipod froze about 15 minutes into the ride and required a reboot to clear. Connections to the iphone works great as well, I can recieve calls easily and sound is loud and clear. Nav 4 volume while listening to the bikes audio is too low. I can barely hear it and it isn't muting the radio. The nav 4 audio is basically useless unless your other audio is turned off.

Kalli
2013 K1600 GTL

Former owner
2006 K1200 GT
post #122 of 140 Old Mar 9th, 2013, 4:28 am
IBR# 366

Garage

The iPod locking-up issue is solved with the latest firmware update for the bike.

There is also a way to fix the Nav IV volume issue, but I don't remember exactly what it is.

You might check K1600forum.com for all the details.

Ken
SoCal
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 20K miles and counting . . .
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 59K miles and gone.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 32,690 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles & now rebuilt!
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #123 of 140 Old Jul 21st, 2013, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzins
I said this on another forum but my issues at this point are:

1. Wireless only. When it works it's great, but wired is always better. Make sure you charge!

2. No PTT (Push to Talk). VOX works great given a set environment, but screen height, side wind, speed change these variable all the time.

3. NO FRS! This to me is the big deal breaker. I am new to BMW (ridding ST1300 now), and I hope there is a third party solution to this.

Still love the integration but I can live with 1 and 2 but item 3 is a kicker. Really no one at BMW thought about bike to bike communications with all the stuff they've put on the K1600 series? WOW!

Dave...
old news I know, but number 2 would be a kicker for sure, my wife's voice never did operate ANY vvox well at all, everything we have has PTT on it, heck even the blue tooth ear buds like plantronics and jaw bone work for crud with her.

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
'58 FLH, (mine) '55FLH (My brides) and others
post #124 of 140 Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 8:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Yeah, that sucks, actually. :^)

Maybe they figure we'll be too busy changing Sirius stations, programming the gps to find the nearest food and/or fuel, and adjusting the suspension and heated seats and heated grips to be chatting on the phone.

I will get this fixed, one way or another. Even if it means putting my iPhone into a waterproof case and wiring it separately. Hmm, maybe I can use my old iPhone 3 as a music-only source.
Would transferring the music to an Apple IPod w/ BMW cable and keeping your phone hooked via BT be a cost effective/efficient work-around?
The dang Garmin Nav 4&5 won't play through the system, much to my dealers surprise but spelled out in the op manual.
Edit: OUCH, I did not notice how old your post was, may no longer be relevant! My bad.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

Last edited by SmokinJoe; Nov 2nd, 2013 at 9:00 am.
post #125 of 140 Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 3:10 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

No problem, thanks for trying to help.

I ended up running a 30-pin Dock extender cable up to my handlebars, where the iPhone is mounted in a waterproof case. Worked fine for ScrollWheel control of the music, as well as Bluetooth phone connectivity to the Nav IV and helmet. Keeps the iPhone charged, too.

The problem is that I had to plug/unplug the iPhone every time I removed it, which is a minor hassle. So I ended up just going with an iPod Nano in the side case. Works just as well (if a bit smaller capacity), and I never have to remove it unless I want to add or change songs.

Ken
SoCal

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #126 of 140 Old Dec 31st, 2013, 10:57 pm

For Droid users on the GTL; I know there is a hook up for the iPhones but how do you hook up Droids to this and still get your calls and internet radio piped in through Bluetooth?

Brett
2003 LTC Sold 2013
2013 GTL
North Georgia
2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #127 of 140 Old Dec 31st, 2013, 11:28 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Short answer: you don't.

Long answer: wait a year or two, then buy an Audi . . .

Ken
SoCal

post #128 of 140 Old Jan 1st, 2014, 8:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post

Well that just sucks!

Brett
2003 LTC Sold 2013
2013 GTL
North Georgia
2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #129 of 140 Old Jan 1st, 2014, 1:24 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998 View Post
Well that just sucks!
It's a typically Android problem. Too many different hardware versions, with no standard interface, and so many different software versions that developers are walking away in frustration.

Ken
SoCal

post #130 of 140 Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 9:42 am

Quote:

You can NOT use the Droid for calls but you can plug in the Phone to the Aux Port then stream Pandora or play music from your phone. You can also charge the phone with the USB port. I have done it.
I have my Phone paired to my Scala G9 for calls.

Stevie Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL
2015 KLR650
post #131 of 140 Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
You can NOT use the Droid for calls but you can plug in the Phone to the Aux Port then stream Pandora or play music from your phone. You can also charge the phone with the USB port. I have done it.
The Scala G9 is looking better and better, too bad a bike that costs 30K can't hook to a damn droid!

Brett
2003 LTC Sold 2013
2013 GTL
North Georgia
2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #132 of 140 Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 12:27 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
Just as you can do with any external music source through the Aux port, but that doesn't give you any access to the phone's music controls. If all you want is to start Pandora and let it run as a personal radio station, then that would work just fine.

Ken
SoCal

post #133 of 140 Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 12:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998 View Post
The Scala G9 is looking better and better, too bad a bike that costs 30K can't hook to a damn droid!
The problem isn't with BMW; it's with Android.

Remember that "Android" is really a collection of dozens of different hardware specs, all running slightly different software. Just like the early days of Windows, there simply isn't one true standard interface that BMW (or any other vehicle manufacturer) can work from.

Whereas the iOS interface is standardized and consistent, such that any iPod or iPhone will just plug right in and work, every time. Even 10-year-old iPods still work, although running a hard-disk based device on a moving bike isn't really recommended.

I'm sure the upcoming Audi setup will have very specific hardware specs and a very limited choice of compatible "Android" phones. I'm also sure that a huge pile of cash traded hands in order to make that deal happen . . .

Ken
SoCal

post #134 of 140 Old Jan 3rd, 2014, 5:17 pm

I have been quoted just over a grand by a BMW dealer for the helmet.

David Tilsen

My new 2014 K1600GTL - Hannigan Trike is my baby and I am LOVING it.
my 99 K1200LTC, The BatCycle is for sale contact me if interested. I have extra wheels, passenger seat, and various other stuff for it.
Corbin seat (re covered with embroidered bat signal) and smuggler trunk, (no pillon seat) Ohlins shocks, bob's lights, signal mirrors, moto loghts, HID (shhhh don't tell), Ice Link for my IPOD 80, FRS radio, cell phone, Unigo (with bat logo), well tuned.
post #135 of 140 Old Mar 31st, 2014, 4:59 pm

Quote:
The iPod locking-up issue is solved with the latest firmware update for the bike.

There is also a way to fix the Nav IV volume issue, but I don't remember exactly what it is.

You might check K1600forum.com for all the details.
Update - as of Saturday 3/29/14, with the latest firmware updates via the dealer, the "no usb" issue has NOT been solved. I have 6 different iPods, some older and some quite new, and the problem still persists. Unfortunately, the classic iPod(s) have the worst time with this. It stalls within 3 minutes of operation - in the service department, using their and my iPod, key on, ignition off with a new connector from their parts department. So, the 'bad connection' theory is dead, as is the sampling rate; any rate will work (128, 256, 512 mbps) . Any format works fine too; mp3, mp4, even WAV). You simply have to use a flash drive. I have a 32 and a 64gb that's been working fine. My GTL has been to the service department now 9 times for this problem alone! The thumb stick is the way to go.

My dealer told me that they're having the same problem with a new RT that's on their showroom floor as a demo. More than once, while at my dealer for this and other small fixes, there was another GTL in for the same 'no usb' issue.

Kevin

2015 BMW K1600GTL (current ride)
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2008 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW K1200LTC
1999 BMW R1150RT
1998 BMW R1100RT
1997 BMW R1200C (2)
1996 BMW R1100R
1995 BMW R850R
1994 HD Road King
1993 HD Fat Boy
1991 HD Dyna Wide Glide
1990 Ducati Monster
1988 Triumph Speed Triple
1986 Yamaha Vision
1986 Honda 1000 Interceptor
1985 Motto Guzzi Le Mans Mk IV
1983 Honda Sabre V65
1980 Kawasaki 400LTD
post #136 of 140 Old Mar 31st, 2014, 6:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The possible "No USB" causes are iPod, cabling (not just the extra cable, maybe the bike wiring as well), radio hardware, or radio software. Possibly the control, but I doubt the Display or Scroll Wheel is the problem as they seem to be working for everything else.

The best way to prove this is to eliminate all the variables one at a time.

Does your iPod work fine on another K16?

What about the BMW iPod cable?

If those work fine on another bike, then it's either the bike's wiring, or the radio unit itself.

Did the software update actually take properly? Can they prove it?

Have they swapped out the entire Radio unit from a known working bike?

It's only a few screws and a handful of cables to swap out the radio unit. The dealer might not want to go that way, but it sure would prove which device is at fault . . .

BTW, my '12 GTL had the No USB message occasionally, but that stopped once the software update was applied. My '13 GTL has never had that message . . .

Ken
SoCal

post #137 of 140 Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 12:33 am

Red face Re: Communication systems for audio system K 1600 GT / GTL

Quote:
The possible "No USB" causes are iPod, cabling (not just the extra cable, maybe the bike wiring as well), radio hardware, or radio software. Possibly the control, but I doubt the Display or Scroll Wheel is the problem as they seem to be working for everything else.

The best way to prove this is to eliminate all the variables one at a time.

Does your iPod work fine on another K16?

What about the BMW iPod cable?

If those work fine on another bike, then it's either the bike's wiring, or the radio unit itself.

Did the software update actually take properly? Can they prove it?

Have they swapped out the entire Radio unit from a known working bike?

It's only a few screws and a handful of cables to swap out the radio unit. The dealer might not want to go that way, but it sure would prove which device is at fault . . .

BTW, my '12 GTL had the No USB message occasionally, but that stopped once the software update was applied. My '13 GTL has never had that message . . .

Today, I was at the dealer to order a jacket. They have a brand new 14' GTL uncrated last Thursday on the floor. Since the owners of the dealership are good friends, I asked for the key and started playing with the audio on the bike. It took about 5 mins on the showroom floor - key on, ignition off, and their own Nano iPod got the no usb error. They weren't happy. They did the usual email to BMW, but we'll have to see what comes of it. I was told that bike and the RT demo both have the latest updates possible.

It doesn't matter if it's my iPod or the dealers iPod (which by the way is a demo iPod furnished by BMW that they use to demonstrate the system to potential buyers).

A few months back, they did swap out the audio unit with a new GTL on the floor. The problem persisted.

As long as I use a usb thumb drive, it works just fine. I guess that's what I'll be doing from now on. Besides, the flash drive takes up very little room in my little toaster oven...

Kevin

2015 BMW K1600GTL (current ride)
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2008 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW K1200LTC
1999 BMW R1150RT
1998 BMW R1100RT
1997 BMW R1200C (2)
1996 BMW R1100R
1995 BMW R850R
1994 HD Road King
1993 HD Fat Boy
1991 HD Dyna Wide Glide
1990 Ducati Monster
1988 Triumph Speed Triple
1986 Yamaha Vision
1986 Honda 1000 Interceptor
1985 Motto Guzzi Le Mans Mk IV
1983 Honda Sabre V65
1980 Kawasaki 400LTD
post #138 of 140 Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 2:31 am
IBR# 366

Garage

So their new '14 bike had the same error using their iPod and their cable, and none of the parts that were used on your bike?

Interesting . . .

Ken
SoCal

post #139 of 140 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 7:48 pm

I have not been able to pair a Sena20 with the GT radio.

I paired the Sena20 with the GPS and my phone. But I have not been able to get the radio on the Sena. And if I ever do, I would like to keep the Sena paired to the GPS and phone. But I don't really want to run my phone through the GPS.

Is that possible? Can anyone please advise?
post #140 of 140 Old Jun 6th, 2015, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet16 View Post
I have not been able to pair a Sena20 with the GT radio.

I paired the Sena20 with the GPS and my phone. But I have not been able to get the radio on the Sena. And if I ever do, I would like to keep the Sena paired to the GPS and phone. But I don't really want to run my phone through the GPS.

Is that possible? Can anyone please advise?
If you pair with the phone or GPS using the A2DP protocol (by either pairing as phone or selective pairing as A2DP), you can't pair the bike - the Sena unit can only handle 1 A2DP pairing. Overall, I'm happy with my Bluetooth setup, but I really wish Sena would have added a second A2DP profile.

I have the bike paired to my headset (paired as phone) and a SR10 paired to the headset (selective pairing HFP) with it connected to either a CB or FRS radio (depending on who I'm riding with) and with it connected (HFP) to my phone. This allows me to make and receive calls, but not to play music from the phone. The GPS instructions come thru the bike's audio, and I'm just living with the noise that connection induces.

If Sena would either add a second A2DP profile to the headset or create a new version of the SM10 that allowed multiple incoming A2DP connections and allowed the user to set up a hierarchy to determine which stream was sent to the headset (when simultaneous streams occur), I'd be a happy camper.
zippy_gg likes this.

Kevin
'13 K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.